rchogan
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

Re:Reviews for Abandoned: Chestnut Lodge Asylum

[Post New]by rchogan on May 12, 12 5:21 PM
Even with the new version The HOP with the nail, the bottle and duck doesn't work for me. I give up.

[Post New]by feenix2011 on May 12, 12 8:52 PM
I have such mixed thoughts about this game. First, I haven't had to report a problem with solving a scene in a game for at least a year now, as usually a walkthrough or SG will help me. But not in this game. One of the wonderful BFG Mods, had to help me out. I have been extremely frustrated a few times now, and I'm not finished yet. The HOS I find really hard, as the name of the HO is not what I know it as, or it is so small or dark. There is ALOT of going back and forth, which can get confusing. I really do like the graphics and I realized with this game how much my favorite thing in these games, (a few have mentioned trolley cars or chair lifts, etc.), mine is the elevators! I just think they are so cool and so realistic.Anyway, I am taking a break from the game at this point, because I have ceased to enjoy it and have started to hate it!! A long break cures everything!!

feenix

pungstress
Minnow
Minnow
203 Posts

[Post New]by pungstress on May 14, 12 11:35 AM
rchogan wrote:Even with the new version The HOP with the nail, the bottle and duck doesn't work for me. I give up.

Oh, thank goodness; I thought it was just me! I tried numerous times to get the pincers to grab the nail, and get the spray can to spray the duck yellow and nope; it just wasn't going to work for me. Too bad because I was enjoying this dreary dark game!

tj1147
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

[Post New]by tj1147 on May 15, 12 7:05 PM
I am really liking playing this game. So far, no real glitches although having to pick up a feather close the hint button required a specific "click-area" to be able to get it. Some of the puzzles were a bit difficult for me. There is a significant amount of "back and forth" to be done and sometimes it isn't very clear where to go next...I found myself going back several scenes and progressing slowly til I found where I needed to be to be able to use an inventory item, etc. I think I have missed some "changing" objects as I forgot to look for them! I cannot comment on music, etc as I didn't have the speakers on. There are a few "startle moments" too that I didn't expect. (I guess if I did, I wouldn't have been startled!) I didn't find the H0 scenes difficult to be able to locate listed items...just once where the item was too close to the hint button (as mentioned above).

The graphics are a bit dreary in places, I agree. The asylum looks to be abandoned and decrepit but the depictions of peeling paint, missing tiles, etc are right-on for such a building.

The only thing I would change is to have a "transporter map" (or any map for that matter) so I wouldn't keep wandering back to where there is nothing to do.

All in all, I am very pleased I bought the game.

Addendum after finishing the game....finally!

I did take a break for some time as the game began to become a bit dreary for me. When I did finish, I was left with a lever for "elevator shaft" and a flashlight. There was no way I could use the lever on the elevator and I have no idea what the flashlight was for...evidently it didn't make any difference because I did finish the game. I found myself using the SG quite a bit more than normally would, and having to go back to a particular room without any direction on how to get there was somewhat hard to remember.

Edited on 05/24/2012 at 7:42:22 PM PST

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on May 18, 12 5:40 AM
just wasn't hooked on this one... got up and walked away twice during the demo without worrying that my time was going to run out...

the graphics were okay, a little grainy, a little dark... the soundtrack was pretty much nonexistent... and the theme/storyline was fairly been there - done that...

i will say that i really enjoyed the opening movie and the attention that was poured into making it of near cinematic quality... i also give it thumbs up for the character interaction...

but, sorry, it's just not something i found myself interested enough in to finish or revisit at some later time... just blah...

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on Jun 5, 12 10:29 PM
Tundei wrote:Just finished this game and I LOVED it!!! Nice challenge, good length, my favorite kind of life like graphics, interesting story line. Better than many of the CEs so it's a steal for the SE price. Great job developers!

I LOVED this game, too!!!! Ditto to all of the above from Tundei. I'm so glad I went ahead and bought it in spite of the many negative reviews.

I didn't find the HOG scenes too difficult once I got used to the style (I find I have to do this with most games), and I liked that some of the objects were interactive. I like HOGs with adventure and found this game had a pretty balanced mix of each.

There is quite a lot of traipsing back and forth. NOTE TO DEVELOPERS: A map would have been appreciated even if not interactive. A few times I had trouble remembering how to get to where I wanted to go.

The story line was interesting, especially when it took a surprising turn at the end!! All in all, I thought this game was TERRIFIC!! I'll enjoy playing it again... in fact, as someone else said, I'd be glad to play it again right away.

Edited on 06/05/2012 at 10:32:12 PM PST

LadyIn60s
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by LadyIn60s on Jun 9, 12 2:07 PM
THIS GAME WAS BETTER THAN SOME CE'S
I REALLY ENJOYED THE GAME PLAY, BUT HAD TO CHECK THE GUIDE ABOUT FIVE TIMES BECAUSE I GOT STUCK. ONE DAY I HOPE NEVER TO HAVE TO LOOK AT THE GUIDE. AGAIN, GREAT GAME!!!!

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Jun 11, 12 7:13 AM
this is a buy for us!!!-----doug & lisa

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Jun 14, 12 1:24 PM
I enjoyed this game. For those who don't like sparkles and HOS...don't do it because you will be disappointed. This game definately needed a jump map. A LOT of moving around and I really got tired of the elevator and it was easy to loose track of where you are and what you needed to do next. At times there was a lot of things in your inventory and unless you really kept track of all the things to be done in the many rooms, you could easily get lost.

Some scenes sparkled, but nothing was to be done in them and that was a bit irritating. Nice graphics, but could have been sharper. Interesting story but never could quite get a handle on what was really going on. Who was the little boy, why was the security guard there, etc. Hint button was one of those "nothing to do here at the moment" things that I just really hate, but the guide was a godsend, especially toward the end. You could definately get lost here. I give this game a 4.5 .

laurakay76
Guppy
Guppy
195 Posts

[Post New]by laurakay76 on Jul 2, 12 7:10 PM
Overall, my feelings about my hour trial are positive (and as I have a coupon to burn I think I'll be picking this up). My main complaint about the game? LINGUISTIC ERRORS! For example, in one hidden object scene, I was expected to find "dices". There is no such thing as "dices" - the word "dice" is already plural. And in the strategy guide, the final chapter is called "Diffusing the Bomb." No. The word is defusing. To "diffuse" the bomb would be to spread it all over!

The gameplay is fantastic and I look forward to continuing. But please tell the developers to get someone to proofread their games - not just the developers of this game, but the developers of EVERY game. This isn't the first BFG game in which I've found spelling and/or grammatical errors, and they always jar me straight out of my suspension of disbelief.

If they need to hire a proofreader, I am available...

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Jul 30, 12 7:33 AM
the music in this game is GREAT. the music goes good with the game.-------------------lisa

bunny3620
Lobster
Lobster
83 Posts

[Post New]by bunny3620 on Aug 2, 12 10:35 PM
Personally I didn't like this game at all even though I played it all the way to the end. So many things didn't seem to make sense as to what to do next. I was constantly having to refer to the guide and that took most of the fun out of the game. Maybe it's just me. Some of the hidden object clues were a bit far out and also hard to see. What was referred to as one thing, I would call it something else entirely. Oh well, just saying.

boobailey
Guppy
Guppy
187 Posts

[Post New]by boobailey on Aug 4, 12 5:56 PM
This was a good game. Good graphic's and the story was neat. Lot's of puzzles and HOS.

WolfandMoon
Guppy
Guppy
109 Posts

[Post New]by WolfandMoon on Oct 13, 12 1:34 AM
I played this game all the way though and really enjoyed it. Halloween is coming up and I wanted to play a "dark" game, and this game delivered what I wanted. It comes with a walk though which comes in handy because there is a lot of back and forth you must do. The hints recharge quickly, so for those who get stuck that's a plus. This game isn't for anyone. The graphics and story are dark, but that is the type of game I wanted to play.

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Mar 17, 13 1:28 PM
All The CE Bells & Whistles...

GAME COMPLETED SEVERAL TIMES

This game clearly was designed to be a CE, all that is missing is the bonus game play. As well as a well crafted game, it has the following extras:

• Integrated SG
• Collectibles
• Achievements
• Wallpapers
• Sneak Peek (video from their next game Frozen – looks good)

The game is good value in its own right. The graphics are good, not spectacular, but the cut scenes are sensational and make up for it. The atmosphere is oppressive, ugly and sometimes downright scary. The story is nothing new, and is not emphasised with lots of scattered info along the way. You spend most of the time simply getting around the grounds and buildings trying to find out what happened. But it is well paced, and finishes with a bang.

I found myself having to get help on what to do next from the SG a bit too often. Still, I was playing late at night and it might have been just me. What this game didn’t have and needed desperately was an interactive map. The game area was huge. There were dozens of locations, often used only for a couple of items spread apart of course, and they were all over that none existent map. It required my full concentration to just get around, never mind remembering where particular puzzles were. Now that we’ve mentioned them, there were very few puzzles and they were easy. This was a HO game, wrapped into a good adventure.

Overall, this game is worthy of a solid four stars from me – its extras have earned it a fifth.

I recommend this game!

[Post New]by Yankee1966 on Mar 29, 13 6:48 AM
For some reason my cursor moved extremely slow in this game. I haven't encountered that problem with any other BF game.

Aside from my slow cursor, I didn't think the game had a good flow. The beginning was boring. When it finally got to the spooky cut scenes, I was already bored. Would of been a lot better if they had some of the rooms downstairs as it would of moved some of those creepier cut scenes to earlier in the game.

Hated that there was no interactive map...had to constantly retrace my steps. Had a hard time remembering where everything was at but that may be because I didn't sit down and play this in one sitting. Took about 3.5 hours to play, and that was with a slow cursor. But I was sooo bored I kept turning it off and a day or two later playing again, so I kept forgetting where things were.

I had tried to download a trial version, but once it had downloaded, I went to hit the play button and it said my trial was over. Since it had such good reviews I went ahead & bought it. Wouldn't of done it if I had done a trial run first!

Maybe if I didn't have the cursor problem it would of been more enjoyable.

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on Jul 12, 13 12:18 AM
Valdy wrote:There is nothing new in the gameplay nor the story itself.

You have to make your way through an abandoned grimy-looking, messy, and well... abandoned-looking hospital to figure out certain things.

I had no joy whatsoever doing the HOS. And I no longer enjoy playing a game where I am confronted by one derelict place after another, especially if the graphics are a little rough, as they are in this game.
I am not talking about dark, but about joyless colouring, dead colours used in the game.

Anyway... I am sure there are lots of peeps who will love this game. To those: enjoy! But this game is not for me.

This says it all for me.

LadyJane50
Guppy
Guppy
183 Posts

[Post New]by LadyJane50 on Sep 7, 13 6:52 PM
I really enjoyed this game! The graphics were good as was the storyline and music. This is a standard game, but it came with a strategy guide and wallpapers. What a bonus!

There were only two downsides in my opinion. One was that there is no map. I found myself going back to the begining of the game a few times because I couldn't find the room I was looking for.

The other downside was that the strategy guide was missing the locations of almost half of the morphing objects. I really don't like missing these and the guide shows about 15 of the 22 objects. Luckily I found a list of the remaining objects listed in one of the forums.

gwenofala
Minnow
Minnow
245 Posts

[Post New]by gwenofala on Nov 28, 13 6:46 PM
Ok this one was on the list of 'Games you will Love !" I don't know why I hadn't bought it before because when I downloaded the trial...well it was expired ! So that tells me I already played the trial and it was finished . Which is a good sign because normally if I don't finish the trial I wouldn't like the game .
The game has been out awhile , I guess I had deleted it and forgot about it . I purchased with a free game coupon since reading the reviews got me excited about this game ! I installed then I remembered a little of the game started over under a new player .
I loved it ! I was tense and scared to death (especially on the elevator ...every time it turned to face the foyer I expected something to jump out at me !) Anyone else get that feeling ? Ok so the graphics were a little dark ( I didn't see a brighten feature) and grainy at times . The game would even freeze up for a couple of seconds ( will contact customer support for a fix on that ) it didn't matter ! The game kept me so intrigued and focused I couldn't wait to see what would happen next . I always breathed a sigh of relief if I had to go outside and would dread when I had to go back in ( happily scared to death) ..Thanks for a good game !

mimi2499
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by mimi2499 on Jan 1, 14 3:34 PM
This is about the most frustrating game I've ever tried to play. For one thing, I keep getting directed to the trunk of the car at the asylum, yet when I ask for a hint, I get "There is nothing to be done her now." So annoying and I'm sorry I ever paid for it.

Go to: