JadedBlonde
Lobster
Lobster
82 Posts

Re:Reviews for Theatre of the Absurd Collector's Edition

[Post New]by JadedBlonde on May 12, 12 5:01 PM
yve501 wrote:Well demonic scenes do not bother me but I did not enjoy the demo.
I tried 30mins last night and left the rest of the demo for today hoping it would improve.
It did not.
I got widescreen but nearly 1/3rd of the screen was taken up by the inventory and other extraneous stuff. Leaving a narrow band in the middle for the game.
I found it the most illogical non-intuitive game I have ever played.
The graphics were murky [usually never a problem] and the HOS hideous I spent most of them waiting for the hint button to refill.
If I asked for a hint a huge arm covered nearly the whole of the playing screen with not very helpful hints. No use telling me to do something with the gargoyle if I can't find in the dingy murk!
The strategy guide was vague in its directions and cumbersome to get out of.
I never post reviews but I felt I had to say how much I disliked this game.

End of rant

Ditto.

I also found the bright spot of light at the bottom of every hidden object scene really irritating. It was more of a long-running movie of cut scenes instead of a game, and all the interruptions just made the whole thing so disruptive that even at half price I'll pass.

lvfao
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
499 Posts

[Post New]by lvfao on May 22, 12 6:02 PM
this based on the demo....i am a def buy for the CE on this. really down with the level of difficulty, and am not afraid of game demons, so this is my kind of town. more later after playing the rest of it. somewhat behind the curve due to modem problems, but i did play some other games on my laptop, and quite honestly was kinda bored....this has the look of an interesting journey. mo' latah' got a game to play!!

[Post New]by Underthebridge on Jun 2, 12 1:17 PM
I just want to re-inform everyone that this is the same Dev that put out Empress of the Deep 2: Song of the Blue Whale...it has the same voice that was used for Jacob for the man in red behind the door, and the same voice for the girl with the glasses. They even used the same kind of music for retriving things..using the same kind of arrow, using the same kind of muddled HO's...I don't think that I will buy this even at a SE...sorry

FORTUNATUS
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by FORTUNATUS on Jun 4, 12 11:32 AM
To me it's a sad commentary as to part of what is going wrong in this world that this game gained such a high reviews (the star reviews as it stands is at 4). Following is my review of this game based on the Demo (and I only played it in order to give it a fair review):

In the H0G scenes, they are blurry and awful... we are asked to find, among other things: hanged man, dismembered toe, dead rodent, demon figure (in their own words demon) all within the first minutes of the game; there are severed hands lining a hallway... all this in the DEMO alone. Ironically, in the beginning you find monkey statues, "see no evil, hear no evil, say" say no evil"... well playing this game goes against all of those good values immediately and even adds to that, "do" evil.

There is so such satanic symbolism in the game, not only in the main precept (allowing a demon to possess you while you try and save a demon possessed young child) but also in the illustrations. Yep, in this game, you are asked to actually participate as a demon-possessed person within the premise of the game! Interesting that we are unable to mention religion on the forums or even in classrooms here in the US now, yet games utilizing satanic, demonic games with no redeeming value whatsoever are acceptable and popular. So, again... why not ask yourself... why do you think these games are so "tempting" to play?

Satanism is a religion. There are thousands of people today in parts of the world being persecuted, yes, tortured and even murdered for beliefs and practicing their (non Satanic) religious values and yet some of us are choosing to sit in the comfort of our homes paying for and spending valuable monies and hours "playing" demonic games...

Who (as in the financial backers, etc) developed this game (and so many like it that are so popular now)? Ask yourself why would you want to play this?

The overall game itself is well done (voice acting good, illustrations, variety of puzzles, etc)... it's just too bad it was applied to such negative themes. What a waste of human potential and talent that the developers must use their gifts to further intensify darkness in our already troubled world and that people are spending money on them instead of more productive and enriching games, etc.
PS: IT IS VERY EASY, THE CLUES ARE ON THE CHARACTER'S ARM AND IN GUIDE... EVERYWHERE..again, what is the point of the game other than pure evil~!?

Edited on 06/04/2012 at 11:55:55 AM PST

FORTUNATUS
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by FORTUNATUS on Jun 5, 12 3:23 PM
Haha... Pure?.. No, not pure in the purity sense... pure as in 'only'... ie. so when I wrote 'pure evil' I don't mean it in that way , but appreciate your humor, lol. Look up the def of pure and you can see for yourself.... I was going to post the def and then remembered the mods can't allow us to quote things... and so would have to delete the post.

Anyhoo, I believe games, like art, should not be devoid of social responsibility.... I mean... what is next in games... hmmm... maybe Roman ampitheatres with live human sacrifice and only for the sheer pleasure of some people's wildest wiles and temptations? We all have temptations and are drawn to thrills in some degree or another (yes, including moi) and that is human nature... It's just that I believe it is our personal and social responsibility to draw some lines to remain civilized, respectful and sane in this world going wild. Games are open territory right now and I truly hope they don't continue in the trends that are apparent in such games as this evil-saturated mess of a game. Ecky!

Edited on 06/05/2012 at 3:28:19 PM PST

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on Jun 11, 12 11:35 AM
i was really waiting to be swept off my feet with this one - love these guys! - but while i found some elements of the game enjoyable, i have to say that overall it was a total letdown...

i didn't have a problem with the graphics at all... in fact, that was one of the high points... and if the contrast in the hidden object scenes wasn't so off-kilter, they would have been much easier to solve... i liked that you could get multiple items out of one HOS because i feel that sometimes devs make you only get one thing so you have to go back to that same area two or three times rather than hit new stuff... of course, you did need a LOT of cr@p in this game to get anywhere, so...

as for the creepy dark demon stealing the kid's soul... i could probably do without that part... and the fact that we have to rely on some other hoodoo to counteract it and come equipped with our own little demon up our sleeve doesn't make me feel any better about it... and then there's the intimation that this woman is actually the child's mother - ??? - AND it's pretty much her fault in the first place for lying about the authenticity of this cube... oh, so many things to set me off...

the soundtrack was ok... voice overs included... but the navigation and all the stuff that could pop up at any moment - journal, arm, etc - left me with a grudge that all the cut scenes in the world could only aggravate... i was looking forward to a great game, but what i got was a hodge podge of evil and a handful of puzzles my seven-year-old niece could probably do in her sleep...

sorry, guys... this one's another pass...

Silvia_B
Seahorse
Seahorse
31 Posts

[Post New]by Silvia_B on Jul 7, 12 4:56 PM
What an incredible game!! It is an horror show with demons etc. but I loved every minute of it. It is such a visual work of art. It's incredible. I loved the voices overs. I loved the puzzles & the hidden objects were a bit hard to find at times but I didn't care. It had me from the beginner. I was completely into this other world & was never bored. I didn't want it to end. I even enjoyed looking at the art work which I never do at the end of the game. I also usually turn down the sounds but they were perfect for the mood of the game. I found her arm hard to read but I eventually got use to it. It is by far one of my favorites games. I played it 3 times & hate to delete it but have to move on to my other games.

Great job to the people who made this piece of art. It will so well done.

Silvia B

scaring
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by scaring on Aug 20, 12 5:41 PM
As you can tell from my icon I do not post often, however I felt I needed to throw in my two cents here.

I have bought close to 200 games, mainly HOS or adventure, and tend to prefer the CEs because I like the bonus games and the artwork I get. This game.... it wasn't worth it.

I did not care for the HOSs because most were very monochrome and difficult to see. Add in the bright or flickering lights and I quickly got headaches.

The ending (bonus content) is the worst. It took me all of 15 minutes to finish and even that left me hanging and just wandering the castle trying to find an actual end to the game.

Dark and disturbing I can deal with, but I do not need my hand held throughout the entire game telling me exactly what to do (except where needed) and the constant voiceover that said the same thing everytime I went to that particular area... a printed text would have been better.

The areas that really needed help was some of the puzzles. A button which gave a basic hint on how to play them could have helped on a couple... there was nothing unless you went to the stradagy guide. I hate to do that because it tells you everything you need to do when I want to figure that part out on my own.

I don't regret purchases often but this one I do. I enjoyed Empress of the deep one and two, but this game needs to go back to the drawing boards and be revamped into something worth the $14 you pay for it. I don't believe it is worth the SE price either, maybe the CE for the 2.99 special may work.

Sorry BF, this game doesn't even get 1 star from me and I am most unhappy about paying the price I did for the CE version. I'd demand a refund if I thought I would get it.

angelfishp
Catfish
Catfish
1,600 Posts

[Post New]by angelfishp on Aug 22, 12 8:03 AM
I bought this CE during the buy one get one sale last weekend. I played on difficult mode as I do not like sparkles. I was able to overlook the demonic story line as I realize it is just a game. I didn't like all the flashing, bright lights as I am sensitive to them. There was a lot of running here and there and would have appreciated a map so I knew where I was and where I needed to be. I know that if I clicked on the hand, it would tell me what to do, but I got lost way too many times. I found the journal to be just about useless. The HOS were way too dark and cluttered. I found I had to use the hint way too much. I don't regret buying this game as it was interesting, but I know I will not play it again.

[Post New]by Conned on Sep 2, 12 4:35 AM
FORTUNATUS wrote:To me it's a sad commentary as to part of what is going wrong in this world that this game gained such a high reviews (the star reviews as it stands is at 4). Following is my review of this game based on the Demo (and I only played it in order to give it a fair review):

In the H0G scenes, they are blurry and awful... we are asked to find, among other things: hanged man, dismembered toe, dead rodent, demon figure (in their own words demon) all within the first minutes of the game; there are severed hands lining a hallway... all this in the DEMO alone. Ironically, in the beginning you find monkey statues, "see no evil, hear no evil, say" say no evil"... well playing this game goes against all of those good values immediately and even adds to that, "do" evil.

There is so such satanic symbolism in the game, not only in the main precept (allowing a demon to possess you while you try and save a demon possessed young child) but also in the illustrations. Yep, in this game, you are asked to actually participate as a demon-possessed person within the premise of the game! Interesting that we are unable to mention religion on the forums or even in classrooms here in the US now, yet games utilizing satanic, demonic games with no redeeming value whatsoever are acceptable and popular. So, again... why not ask yourself... why do you think these games are so "tempting" to play?

Satanism is a religion. There are thousands of people today in parts of the world being persecuted, yes, tortured and even murdered for beliefs and practicing their (non Satanic) religious values and yet some of us are choosing to sit in the comfort of our homes paying for and spending valuable monies and hours "playing" demonic games...

Who (as in the financial backers, etc) developed this game (and so many like it that are so popular now)? Ask yourself why would you want to play this?

The overall game itself is well done (voice acting good, illustrations, variety of puzzles, etc)... it's just too bad it was applied to such negative themes. What a waste of human potential and talent that the developers must use their gifts to further intensify darkness in our already troubled world and that people are spending money on them instead of more productive and enriching games, etc.
PS: IT IS VERY EASY, THE CLUES ARE ON THE CHARACTER'S ARM AND IN GUIDE... EVERYWHERE..again, what is the point of the game other than pure evil~!?

[Post New]by Conned on Sep 2, 12 4:37 AM
Well said. I'm thinking of discontinuing my membership because I am so tired of receiving demonic games as "Games I Love." Why is almost everything from Big Fish so eerie, demonic, death-dealing? Reminds me of the young man who shot up the people in the theater washing Dark Knight. His only regret was that he didn't see how the movie ended. I can't help but wonder if he is one of Big Fish's biggest clients. I'm sorry Big Fish you should rename yourself Big Sick.

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Sep 28, 12 9:26 AM
we found this game to be unusal, and did no care or the storyline. not a buy for us- but give it a try you may like it.---------doug & lisa

Jurinne
Clownfish
Clownfish
606 Posts

[Post New]by Jurinne on Sep 28, 12 11:19 PM
(Based on part of the demo): I stopped playing because I had made my decision as whether to purchase this game.

Disclaimer: This game is exceedingly creepy (it even creeped ME out at times!) so if deformed skulls, monsters, demons, possession, etc. bother you, I recommend that you stay far away from this game.

Personally, I love that sort of stuff! And no, I am not a Satan worshipper, don't use Ouija boards, don't believe in astrology, and, as an adult, am able to differentiate a game from reality. I love horror stories, horror movies (even the cheesy ones). I have a huge collection of horror books and movies.

My decision is to buy the game. It's refreshing to see a game so different from the usual. My only complaint is that it is very difficult to find some items in the HOS. Fortunately, the HINT button refills remarkably quickly both in and out of HOS.

The story is fascinating although I admit I am a little confused as I can't place the time period in which the game takes place. I want to know what happens.

I'm not sure if I will purchase the CE as the hints are already so helpful. I'll have to read the rest of the reviews to see if the bonus makes the extra cost worthwhile.

What a creepy game and Halloween is coming up! BWAHAHAHA!! (just kidding; I'm really a very nice person).

Based on the demo I give this game four kitties (out of a possible five): I will re-rate after playing the entire game:

Thank you for offering this game. It is not true that the only reason to play this game is for "evil purposes." It is a game. A disclaimer should be present at the beginning, perhaps even before the potential player downloads the game. Nobody wants to be offended and I can understand that even the demo here must have offended, angered, and frightened some people. I also would not want to be playing the demo with a small child suddenly peeking over my shoulder. This game would have given me nightmares as a child (seriously; I can guarantee it).

Edited on 09/28/2012 at 11:28:42 PM PST

Bink_In_AK
Minnow
Minnow
237 Posts

[Post New]by Bink_In_AK on Dec 28, 12 1:28 PM
I just finished playing this (CE) on my Kindle Fire, a Christmas present from my daughter, and enjoyed it, even on the small screen. As I recall all the HOS had zoom enabled except 1 or 2.

It surprises me that I had not bought it for my PC. If I had not just played it on the Kindle I wouldn't have come here to read and post a review. I don't know if I would have bought the CE but the SE would have been a certainty.

I wonder if purchasing the game for the Kindle platform affords me any advantage on the PC... I'd like to compare the PC vs Kindle versions to see if they have identical game content just running on different platforms. (I suspect the game content is identical, I am just curious, but not $13.99 curious)

Edited on 12/28/2012 at 1:35:03 PM PST

sfr8rfan
Guppy
Guppy
196 Posts

[Post New]by sfr8rfan on Mar 28, 13 11:21 PM
I'm about one third of the way through this game and I had to stop playing only to see how it had been reviewed, wondering if others share my opinion:

This is BY FAR the most interesting (and unusual) game I have ever played from BFG. It is exceptional. It's creepy. It's delicious!

Among my favorite aspects are the voice over, which I think sets an extraordinary tone to the game: mysterious, scary, urgent yet in control. Also, despite protestations to the opposite, I LOVE the HOS. They are different. They are not easy. They do take a long time. I have not used a hint once and I won't. The HOS definitely make me work harder but it's worth it. It's very satisfying to achieve success with the HOS. This is a very ponderous game. I think that describes it well: it's dark and dreary but exciting and attention-grabbing.

This is my new favorite and it will be for a long time I believe.

[Post New]by cupidsozangel on Apr 10, 13 11:52 PM
I got to the part where the Graven Plaques are to be assembled..it wouldn't let me pick them up so I backed out & went back in now they are gone. I have the top 2 in place. Actually didn't mind the game but now I am not happy!!! Will have to redo the WHOLE thing & hope it doesn''t happen again!!! Once I chill out a bit.

blueskies01
Guppy
Guppy
161 Posts

[Post New]by blueskies01 on Sep 22, 13 10:37 PM
Underthebridge wrote:I just want to re-inform everyone that this is the same Dev that put out Empress of the Deep 2: Song of the Blue Whale...it has the same voice that was used for Jacob for the man in red behind the door, and the same voice for the girl with the glasses. They even used the same kind of music for retriving things..using the same kind of arrow, using the same kind of muddled HO's...I don't think that I will buy this even at a SE...sorry

Thanks, Underthebridge. That tells me a lot. I bought Empress 2 for the art, but then found the underlying premise (ie, trust no one) misconstrued at best. When this returned with a vengeance in Empress 3, I thought the devs had lost their minds. No buy for me.

Go to: