oldbag60
Lobster
Lobster
92 Posts

Re:Reviews for Fabled Legends: The Dark Piper Collector's Edition

[Post New]by oldbag60 on May 15, 12 4:06 AM
quarlsqueen I couldn't agree more. One of the reasons I like blue tea games is that they're interesting and fun and the hogs are quick and easy (I don't much like hogs). I was bored bored bored, it's a real effort to finish it, in fact I don't know if I'll even bother. A great shame.

sea_maid
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

[Post New]by sea_maid on May 15, 12 10:55 AM
Finally a decent game. It's been months since we had one, at least for Hidden Object.

The graphics were wonderful, even in widescreen, which is something considering other developers have done games in fullscreen, and then "stretch" it to widescreen, which doesn't look good IMO. One bit of note about the graphics, be careful with the fonts, because the names of some of the stores in the game didn't look like they were written in English, but rather Greek. Given that it's a story set in Germany, it shouldn't have any place in there.

The game, overall, was darker in tone than the Dark Parable series, which is a bit ironic. Maybe it's just me, but I felt that the devs. cut out a lot of the story for the game, there seemed to be hints that the story would probably have been longer ( certainly didn't expect the flute of the Pied Pier, or Dark Piper in this case, to have something to do with the Grail and the Templars. But guess we'll never know). The puzzles were a mix: some were really easy, others a bit more laborious.

Even with the bonus chapter (Midas Lair), it still feels a bit short, without it I think it might even be more so. But I think a big mistake that they did in the game was revealing the identity of the Piper half-way through. You just don't do that, not in a mystery game anyways. As a detective, your job was to find out who was the Piper, once that's done, the rest feels like filler to stretch the game a couple more chapters.

The music was good, it certainly fit within the game, but outside of it, it doesn't do much for me to listen to. But the extras weren't that great, most of the wallpapers were dark, and there are many rooms in the game that were jaw-dropping to look at. Why they didn't include those?

Another thing: for some reason, the concept art can't be saved to your computer. Which is annoying because since you purchased the game, you should be able to keep the extras where you want.

I have to categorize this game in the rare area of the game itself being better than the extras that came with the CE. Which is strange, but it happens.

Edited on 06/30/2012 at 9:36:57 AM PST

AirCoco
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

[Post New]by AirCoco on May 15, 12 7:03 PM
As others said, this game really disappointed me. I bought the CE thinking that it was just me at the time I played the demo. I bought the CE and have quit playing it 16 pages into the game. There is WAY too much running around for my taste, so much so that all I'm doing is looking at the strategy guide to see what or where Im supposed to go next and when I looked through the SG and saw I had a long way to go to the end of the game yet, I said phooey. I really am not going to play a game where every 3 moves I have to see what I'm to do next. The game is just so disjointed. When most of the time playing is spent running all over I think it is a waste of time.

The sound track to me is grating. I turned that off eventually. The cut scenes are well done but again just interrupt the game constantly as do the constant pop ups of text telling you what you just looked at or found. There is an interactive map which is of little use just telling you where an objective is (at least in the amount of the game I have played so far...) and not where to go or where an item you find is next used.

I have tried to hang in there hoping the game would grow on me but I have spent more time wondering what I'm supposed to be doing than I have been playing.

Tiger2010
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,624 Posts

[Post New]by Tiger2010 on May 16, 12 7:46 AM
I am never disappointed with this developer. To me, they seem to put a lot into each of their games. Here again is a CE that I think is worth the money, in my view. It's a long game (easily 4 1/2 to 5 hours plus 1+ hour for the bonus) that is totally immersive, beautifully rendered with great voiceovers and appropriate music.

The H0S scenes, of which I counted 28 in the main game and 9 in the bonus play, are clear and uncluttered. This many H0S in a game is usually a disappointment to me, but I had no problem playing them in this game, even three back to back. The graphics are so lovely they are a pleasure to play rather than something to be endured.

The puzzles are not that difficult and there could have been more of them for me, but they were still fun to play. The cat hint button is very cute and recharges very quickly and the map, showing objectives and areas of interest is useful. There is some running around to be done, but the setting is not so large that it should cause too much confusion.

I recommend this game. Once I started playing I found it hard to stop.

mendolyn
Guppy
Guppy
129 Posts

[Post New]by mendolyn on May 16, 12 11:59 AM
this game turned out to be equally likeable and disappointing if that's possible.

pros:

beautiful graphics the whole way thru

the cut scenes were well done and attractively animated

cons:

as the story played out it felt more and more stale, like i'd done it all before and was mechanically going thru the motions of finding things that would get me to the end

lots of running around, backtracking, etc so much so that i forgot several times where things were,what i was doing, why i was doing something, what i was looking for (this is unusual for me)

hidden object scenes while pretty were incredibly easy, no hints needed at all, sometimes the clue even told you what color to look for (like purple mushroom). i didn't really feel any satisfaction or accomplishment from finding the items as they practically found themselves.

the plot was just very weak, the bad guys were obviously the bad guys, you'll have this one figured out pretty far ahead of the ending. i didn't even understand why they included certain things in the game as they never really explained them or followed them up.

General Opinion: a pretty game that was completely blah'ed out by a lackluster story (this seems to be fairly common anymore with the heavy push on all gaming platforms to create better looking games, but they often fall short in the actual game play department). not worth collector's edition price IMO. even the additional game play left me thinking "what?!?!" as it didn't seem to have any real relevance whatsoever to the game and was just a bunch more running around. i'd wait and get this at regular price and i'm frankly very glad i got it on special for mother's day as i would have felt really ripped off if i had paid full collectors edition price due to the lack of challenge, mystery, or interesting storyline. it's a decent game but nothing super special.

happy gaming

Tomsde
Guppy
Guppy
132 Posts

[Post New]by Tomsde on May 16, 12 7:45 PM
Another beautiful title from Blue Tea Games. If you liked their other titles you'll definitely like this one: detailed artwork, voice overs, compelling soundtrack, and an engaging storyline. Blue Tea is my favorite game developer--their games are very unique and have detailed and interesting stories. This game is darker than many of their other titles, except for the NIghtengale Theater game. It was refreshing not to have to look for missing relatives or children or spouses for a change--for those of you who want romantic plots this may be a little dissapointing, but if you're looking for a very creepy and suspenceful title you won't go wrong with this one. I've not played the bonus game yet, but it looks like it will be on a level with the rest of the story.

The bonus game makes it worth buying the CE version, it's a long additional chapter and definitely adds something to the story. Anymore I've regretted it for the most part when I've gotten the SE versions of a game, in many cases they present a final chapter to the stories, and in other cases offer additional game play that you won't be able to get separately.

Edited on 05/20/2012 at 7:13:43 PM PST

janey3315
Guppy
Guppy
102 Posts

[Post New]by janey3315 on May 19, 12 3:45 PM
I thought this was a very good game. I bought the CE because of the sale on game credits last weekend so i really got the CE for regular price and i'm glad i did because i loved it. Yes... it was a typical HOG but i loved the morphing objects. I found 19 the first time then i purposely played it a second time to find all 20 of the morphing objects. The puzzles were a little easy but fun.

Anyways Happy Gaming All!!

bluesinew
Minnow
Minnow
231 Posts

Great Game!

[Post New]by bluesinew on May 20, 12 6:20 PM
One of the best I played this year. There is a lot going on, although it seemed very linear there was a lot of running around. There are hidden objects, however I didn't notice until I was in the middle of the game. Not a lot of unnecessary HOG scenes. Quite a good adventure.

[Post New]by BabyFish82 on May 21, 12 1:25 AM
Well, it's a great game in the beggining but later on, for me it just turn into a lot and lot of hos, and very few puzzles...
And also, a puzzle with a horse is repeating itself a couple of times, so it's kind a boring for me...
And what's with all the mythology in the bonus game?
Anyway, I played it till the end so it means that I liked!

lvfao
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
499 Posts

[Post New]by lvfao on May 22, 12 8:07 PM
well that was different, at least. i liked the puzzles, think the graphics pretty good, easy hos. enjoyed the ending. i didn't find this to be too difficult, but quite a bit walking around. a lot of search and rescue going on here. try it, you might like it also.
bonus content was a little disconcerting...

admiral1133
Minnow
Minnow
228 Posts

[Post New]by admiral1133 on May 23, 12 3:47 AM
GREAT GAME enjoyed every moment. good puzzles, lots of challenges. Thanks BF

[Post New]by feenix2011 on May 24, 12 6:21 PM
Just finished playing both the main and bonus games (easy mode) and I enjoyed myself. Bonus game not too long, didn't time it, tho, so I can't even give an estimate. Not an hour I don't think. The graphics were really nice and crisp and I really enjoyed the mini-games, which I thought were a little different from the norm. The story was a good deversification (is that a word?!) of the one we all know. The only thing that got on my nerves, was, as someone else mentioned, being able to pick up things in the HOS that you didn't need. I found no use for those objects later on. Oh well, it was still fun!

feenix

[Post New]by KaraWinters on May 25, 12 2:39 PM
At first I was wary of buying the game since there were such mixed reviews, but in the end I decided to go with my gut and get the CE version. So here are a few things I'd like to comment on that some of the reviewers had pointed out along with my own thoughts.

FROGs vs HOGs vs Puzzles: A lot of people expressed disappointment that there were no FROGs. When I first played the demo, I was highly surprised there weren't any as well. However, I'd like to remind the potential player that Fabled Legends is not Dark Parables, the FROG game play is something that is unique to Dark Parables. Something I was reminded of when I recalled I played (and loved) Macabre Mysteries which is also by Blue Tea, but uses HOGs instead of FROGs.

People had also mentioned the lack of puzzles, and i could be wrong, but Blue Tea has always been more of a... figure out which object to use game. I don't think they've ever had a lot of puzzles in their games.

Gameplay: Getting around was tedious after a while. They really should have taken a page out of Dark Parables and made a flashpoint.

I like the idea of using these special items to help you even further, but it probably wasn't as well done as it could have been. However, it's a new feature so I'll forgive on that one.

Plots, Voice and Graphics: Blue Tea has not disappointed in terms of graphics. I really do like it, but I have always been fond of graphics that still show that they were drawn. The voice work is as well done as it has always been, other devs should really take cue from Blue Tea in terms of picking their actors.

In terms of plot, it still has twists, but unfortunately unlike past games, they're pretty easy to see. However, the plot line is not completely horrible, however I do agree if they're going for a place in Germany make it sound more like it's happening in Germany.

Bit surprised that people are put off by the rats, mainly because they weren't that detailed and also Pipe Piper you expect a few rats. Just a thought.

Overall: If you like HOGs, like really, really like them. Like them just because you like that sort of game play this certainly would suit you better. Is it better than Dark Parables, no... I'm waiting for that Red Riding Hood one I saw in the preview on the last game!

Edited on 05/25/2012 at 2:40:14 PM PST

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Jun 23, 12 6:56 AM
EXCELLENT GAME! just the right length and degree of difficulty. the bonus game was fun too

laurakay76
Guppy
Guppy
195 Posts

[Post New]by laurakay76 on Jul 30, 12 1:04 PM
Blue Tea Games knocks it out of the ballpark once again! I'm a big, big fan of the Dark Parables (Exiled Prince is my favorite game I have ever downloaded from this site), so when I saw they were possibly setting up a new series with this title, I bought the collector's edition without even bothering with the demo. I was sure I would enjoy it, and I was not disappointed!

The story, first and foremost, was terrific - always the biggest selling point with me, maybe because I'm a writer. The graphics were beautifully rendered and the music was stirring, neither of which surprised me. I was tickled that several of the sound effects were identical to those used in the Dark Parables, and I got a kick out of the little in-jokes - for instance, in one H0 scene, I had to add blue dye to a cup of tea to create the desired object. Blue tea in a Blue Tea Game! I admit I did catch a tiny handful of grammatical errors, which always does bug me a little, but that's honestly my only complaint. The non-H0 puzzles were a different style than I've seen, and the whole game was pleasantly challenging. The bonus game was also marvelously done. I still love the Dark Parables best, but I'm excited to see a new series from BTG!

boofycat
Minnow
Minnow
267 Posts

[Post New]by boofycat on Oct 15, 12 4:39 PM
I love Blue Tea games and have them all. While this game lived up to the usual high standards of gameplay and graphics and the puzzles were do-able, a big plus for me, I found the game became tedious after a while. It was a big game with many different locations and I found it really annoying to get one object, then go through many moves to use it, only to find that I had to go all the way back to get another object. In the end I just relied on the strategy guide (down five, left, up, right etc) and this took all the enjoyment out of what should have been a great game. Please Blue Tea, I really think it is time you upgraded to an interactive map where you can jump to locations of interest.

[Post New]by AnGeLlBaBie68 on Apr 10, 13 4:12 PM
sleeplady wrote:Graphics are stunning! But all those rats! NO THANK YOU!

YUP WAY TOO REAL N THE BIG SPIDER BY THE LEFT SIDE OF THE WATER WHERE HE THRU THE CASE IN THE WATER WAY TO REAL I WAS BIT BY A BROWN RECLUSE IN 95 5XS NOOOOOOOOOOOO TY VERY REAL TY THO

[Post New]by AnGeLlBaBie68 on Apr 10, 13 4:14 PM
laurakay76 wrote:Blue Tea Games knocks it out of the ballpark once again! I'm a big, big fan of the Dark Parables (Exiled Prince is my favorite game I have ever downloaded from this site), so when I saw they were possibly setting up a new series with this title, I bought the collector's edition without even bothering with the demo. I was sure I would enjoy it, and I was not disappointed!

The story, first and foremost, was terrific - always the biggest selling point with me, maybe because I'm a writer. The graphics were beautifully rendered and the music was stirring, neither of which surprised me. I was tickled that several of the sound effects were identical to those used in the Dark Parables, and I got a kick out of the little in-jokes - for instance, in one H0 scene, I had to add blue dye to a cup of tea to create the desired object. Blue tea in a Blue Tea Game! I admit I did catch a tiny handful of grammatical errors, which always does bug me a little, but that's honestly my only complaint. The non-H0 puzzles were a different style than I've seen, and the whole game was pleasantly challenging. The bonus game was also marvelously done. I still love the Dark Parables best, but I'm excited to see a new series from BTG!

[Post New]by AnGeLlBaBie68 on Apr 10, 13 4:20 PM
laurakay76 wrote:Blue Tea Games knocks it out of the ballpark once again! I'm a big, big fan of the Dark Parables (Exiled Prince is my favorite game I have ever downloaded from this site), so when I saw they were possibly setting up a new series with this title, I bought the collector's edition without even bothering with the demo. I was sure I would enjoy it, and I was not disappointed!

OH MAN DARK PARABLES I OWN ALOT OF THEM THE BEAUTY IN THE GAME IS OUTRAGIOUS IT FLOWS WELL NO HUGE GAPS IN UH OH IM STUCK NOT IN THESE GAMES ONE THING FLOWS RIGHT TO THE NEXT UNLIKE 13 SKULLS BAHH BRAVO WELL DONE WITH THIS ONE

Nice game, not my favorite, but nice. (one short spoiler sort of...)

[Post New]by AnGeLlBaBie68 on Apr 10, 13 4:51 PM
twinsoniclab wrote:I played on the hardest level, so no hints of skips. That is fine when you have a guide! I did need the guide for a few last objects in a few HOS. I only used it for one game. The guide isn't always helpful with games or HOS. I know that HOS sometimes are random, that the one you get might not be the one in the guide. It should be. Twice I couldn't find one last object and the guide was no help. If we pay for CE we should get a full guide! Otherwise, I will buy SE and use the walk-through. The map was no help ever.
The puzzles were mostly good ones. New types, not just the same ol' ones you come to expect. Without skips I had to stick with them until I did them! It was possible. Only one I "cheated" on with the guide, as I said.
The bonus game? It was OK. I don't know about any CE. If we pay twice as much, shouldn't there be twice the game, or twice the bonus content? You can't access it until you beat the game here, and why would I want it then when I just uninstall my finished games? Anything like wall paper should be available as soon as you purchase a CE.
The HOS we nice, I like it when you have to combine objects or do something other than just find them and click. Some are tricky! Then after you find everything there is one last object to find (you don't know what until you are done with the other stuff, sometimes you can guess) that is the object that goes into your inventory.
You get special items like a raven (or crow?), whistle, etc. I think it is a bit "cheaty" of them to give us a master key that opens all the rest of the doors/locks/chests etc. It was as though they realized they needed to put in a few more HOS or games and didn't want to, so just threw in a key to do it all.
The game was long, and I enjoyed the HOS and games a lot, but I think I would have been just as happy with the SE.

Go to: