[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Jun 14, 12 6:23 AM
this game is a buy for us.----------doug & lisa

Tomsde
Guppy
Guppy
132 Posts

Re:Reviews for Dark Alleys: Penumbra Motel Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Tomsde on Jul 1, 12 7:57 PM
I am a big ERS fan, but I must admit that this was the only ERS title I've really not liked at all. I do like hidden object scenes and this game does not have them. I am not a fan of live actors instead of animated characters. I found the artwork good considering they had to patch in live footage--but the whole concept and storyline left me cold. I dislike the way ERS has been abruptly ending their games lately, I like a little more of a satisfying conclusion and not an abrupt ending as this game has. I found the story to be disturbing and grim--I suppose it could have been worse--but it's a bit more grisley than other ERS titles. NOT reccomended for young people, I'd say that this game should have a 13 and over rating. The score was a bit redundant and hard to get out of one's head.

I've often found the ERS artwork to be stunning ot look at and very detailed--this game has good artwork, but is not like their other titles. If I were to make a comparison I'd say this title is more like the Green Hill Sanitorium Series (which I didn not like very much either) and not their other games. I really hope this game isn't the beginning of a trend with them--I like the Edgar Allen Poe and Redemption Cemetary series and I would stop buying ERS titles if they go for straight adventure without hidden object scenes and got too disturbing. I really don't think playing the demo gives a potential buyer any idea of what they are getting into. I didn't find the story to be adequately explained and worked out. That having been said, play the demo first--if you don't mind the lack HOGs and a very grim story you may like this title--but for me I'm giving it two thumbs down--way down.

Note to developers, can we please get away from the abducted child story lines? I feel it's really getting old. At least I didn't find my character in the game to be gender specific--it wasn't specified whether I was supposed to be a male or female and I liked that--I think developers should strive for a gender neutral hero.

In regards to the Collectors Edition, I did not like the ending of the story and prefered the ending to the main game. There is the usual concept art, wallpapers and a saveable soundtrack--only you can decide of these enhancements are worth the extra money. Frankly, for the most part, I find the integrated stragegy guides worth the extra money alone; it' much easier to deal with than going to a web walk through.

Edited on 07/04/2012 at 6:58:54 PM PST

Mickeycb
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

Re:Reviews for Dark Alleys: Penumbra Motel Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Mickeycb on Apr 23, 13 6:45 PM
Wow, I'm surprised by how many people did not like this game. First of all, if you don't like the type of content, story line, or theme....then don't buy a game called DARK ALLEYS. I always play darker themed games and I did like the way this one used WW footage, not sure if it was WWI or WWII, or even a combo of the two, but that was different. Getting into the doors with all the war medals were also different. Plenty of disturbing stuff, but that doesn't bother me. I also thought psycho as previously mentioned in another review, but hey that was Hitchcock's big turn around film. Don't know why anyone would complain about that. The only negative thing I can say about the whole thing is it would have been very helpful to have an interactive map. Other than that, loved it!!

Go to: