1,447 Posts

Re:Comments for Haunted Hotel: Charles Dexter Ward Collector's Edition

[Post New]by mhatfie on Jun 11, 12 11:42 AM
Valdy wrote:
Pckiller wrote:
Valdy wrote:

Bought it.

I hope that you won't be disappointed

Just tore myself away from the game to say that I am really happy I bought the game.
There are thankfully blessed few HOS, all nicely spaced, and I am really enjoying myself. Have just started with day 3.

Ok I reeeeeeally trust Valdy's opinion so I'm buying also.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jun 11, 12 12:28 PM
Well, I finished the game. Took me just over 3 hours for the main game, and an hour for the bonus game.

Really enjoyed the main game. Not sure the ending is sufficiently satisfactory for those peeps who will buy the SE.

I did like the bonus game. However, I am not one of those gamers who love doing one puzzle after another, and that's what I got in this bonus game. And I really hate those "Simon said" games, where I have to repeat things. My brain is already tired out by the end of the main game, and I can't cope with the "Simon said" games. Also, there were a couple of other puzzles I really didn't care for. But that's just how I feel about them.

On the whole, this was a really good game. It looks like there will be a follow-up game to this one, since the story had a loose ending...

Mhatfie... Please don't hold me responsible if you don't like the game. I'll better crawl under a stone for the next couple of days and hide out under it.

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on Jun 11, 12 1:09 PM
Also posted this in the review thread:

I had no trouble with crashes or freezes during the demo, but this game doesn't grab me and say "BUY!" The HOGs aren't particularly difficult, but they do seem faded. That's the best way I can describe it. I would love to be able to increase the contrast. I know there's a way to do that on my computer, but I don't like to do it just for a game.

I'll skip the CE and if I can get the SE later on a DD, it could be a maybe for me.

ETA: I found more puzzles than HOGs in the demo. I usually skip puzzles, so that's another negative for me.

Edited on 06/11/2012 at 1:17:10 PM PST

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Jun 11, 12 4:56 PM
Valdy wrote:Well, I finished the game. Took me just over 3 hours for the main game, and an hour for the bonus game.

Really enjoyed the main game. Not sure the ending is sufficiently satisfactory for those peeps who will buy the SE.

I did like the bonus game. However, I am not one of those gamers who love doing one puzzle after another, and that's what I got in this bonus game. And I really hate those "Simon said" games, where I have to repeat things. My brain is already tired out by the end of the main game, and I can't cope with the "Simon said" games. Also, there were a couple of other puzzles I really didn't care for. But that's just how I feel about them.

On the whole, this was a really good game. It looks like there will be a follow-up game to this one, since the story had a loose ending...

Mhatfie... Please don't hold me responsible if you don't like the game. I'll better crawl under a stone for the next couple of days and hide out under it.

LOL Valdy I won't bite...........well maybe just a little.

KathyGriggs
Guppy
Guppy
176 Posts

[Post New]by KathyGriggs on Jun 12, 12 10:09 AM
I am soooooooooooooooo sorry I bought this game. Oh, the game in and of itself is fine, although it has nothing to do the the other Haunted Hotel games in any way. My problem is the PUZZLES......lots and lots of puzzles, especially in the bonus chapter. I do not have a puzzle brain. I will always try, but I will not stress out over them. Consequently, I spent a LOT of time waiting for the (slow) skip button to charge so I could skip them. Fact is, there are so many infuriating puzzles in the bonus chapter that I didn't even finish it. I have the highest regard for all the brainiac puzzle fishies! What awesome minds you must have. I'm good at sleuthing, but I suck at puzzles!

Ok, I vented. Like I said, it is a cool game, but if you are like me and don't care for puzzles....think twice!

Happy gaming fishies! Oh, and Happy Fathers Day to all you father fishies out there in the pond!

Edited on 06/12/2012 at 10:11:20 AM PST

katejoe999
Herring
Herring
308 Posts

[Post New]by katejoe999 on Jun 13, 12 8:08 PM
WolfenRaindancer wrote:I just finished it, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Lots of puzzles, especially in the bonus game, and it looks like there will be a sequel...yaaaayy! This one got even better the further I got into it. Kudos to the devs!! I know you put a lot of work into these scenes, and I really appreciate all of the eye candy. Those who only played the demo missed all of the good stuff. Can't wait for the next one

Finally!!!
I've been reading all the mostly negative feedback and I so agree with you! I started off so-so but really enjoyed it. Liked the story line, the tasks - it is not too heavy on the Hos scenes and the graphics were just fine on my P.C.
Go for it Dev's, I'll have another thanks :-)
Tho' interactive hos scenes would be an added bonus!

[Post New]by SquareKitty on Jun 15, 12 9:00 PM
Hmmmm not sure on this one.

I just finished playing the Demo and the game play itself is fun and I like the whole H. P. Lovecraft influence! Mind, I found the graphics quite grainy and it wasn't full screen, which is a bit annoying. I did like the cut scenes though, with the 'old school' film reels.

However, I don't think I'll buy this one.....

[Post New]by AdelfinaH41 on Jun 22, 12 1:27 AM
Didn't liked this one - the artwork is terribly poor, and the story is pretty standard.

Not a buy for me

nyc240
Lobster
Lobster
93 Posts

[Post New]by nyc240 on Jul 1, 12 7:50 AM
Loved the graphics, the game kept my interest. Really spooky. Just a bit too much back and forth.

[Post New]by Moonlite73 on Jul 4, 12 12:46 PM
Found a lot of errors in game, first when you do the lock puzzle on gate after you put cross on gate. You are supose to shift each piece one on top of the other, but a you can't place a large piece on a small. Well in my game you can, a small piece will go underneath, because not all pieces will lock in place.
Another problem if you don't do everything in exact order game does not let you continue.
On day 2 coming out of Charles room, no electricity I went to shed and got coins, then I went up stairs to next door after charles room and did puzzle, but when I tried to get in room, screen said I had to turn electricity on. So I did then I went back into Mansion to get into room and screen still said you have to get electricity on when all the house was lit.
So I have now deleted and reloaded the game and I hope there are no more problems. If so I will contact Big Fish.

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Jul 14, 12 6:35 AM
Cobweb55 wrote:The stretch screen worked perfectly for me when both the widescreen and stretch screen buttons were checked.
It doesn't say widescreen. It says Full screen. The default is 4:3.

Edited on 07/14/2012 at 7:37:03 AM PST

lvfao
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
499 Posts

[Post New]by lvfao on Sep 2, 12 2:18 PM
just finished the bonus, but frankly i was getting a bit bored. if you don't want to spring for the CE i don't think you'll miss that much. i enjoyed the game itself, thought it a bit dark, occulty (new word) and altho i like 'em hard and dark, this seemed pretty relentless. however, the graphics were excellent, good game play, hard puzzles, so no real complaints. these devs have come far and it shows. nice job! i think i would recommend the se. what i did not like was being "locked in" with the credits. i prefer a skip button to circumvent the longer cut scenes, esp if i am replaying.

moosie111
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

[Post New]by moosie111 on Nov 14, 12 10:24 AM
I am doing the bonus and cannot find the pipe in the "Old Ones" room to wedge into the water wheel. It's just not there.

Pckiller
Minnow
Minnow
267 Posts

[Post New]by Pckiller on Dec 5, 12 7:39 AM
moosie111 wrote:I am doing the bonus and cannot find the pipe in the "Old Ones" room to wedge into the water wheel. It's just not there.

The pipe is the same pipe that you've used to open the door in the elevator shaft. Go back and grab it.

Go to: