FORTUNATUS
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

Re:Comments for Pride & Prejudice: Hidden Anthologies

[Post New]by FORTUNATUS on Jun 25, 12 11:51 PM
gingergal wrote:Do you have a young daughter that needs encouraging to read a good book? Then this game would be perfect for her. It reminds me of straight hidden object games I played 7 yrs ago but with a lot more dialogue!

Oh for some tweaking in this game. As you are made to sit through even with skipping, a lot of dialogue so the very least they could do was use colour on the background scenes!

I only played 20 mins of it (looking for a poker or something in the back of a chair) but I did think the hidden object scenes to look at were good. LIke old hidden object games they weren't junk pile or would be more cluttered scenes so give them a lot of credit for that, although they are 'straight' HOS.

I thought earning hints was good and finding extra pages of the diary was a nice touch.

The changing screens took a bit to notice - using scroll buttons at edge of inventory bar.

If I ever want to reread pride and prejudice again, I might pick it up as a DD if I am in the mood for nostalgic old style HOG (and that's only because I LOVE the novel and movie).

But with some tweaking - mini games, choice of no music and maybe voiceover with more dialogue in a journal or changed some of how it was done, graphics improved - I think it could have been a decent game,

Hi gingergal.... I probably won't be purchasing this unless DD either, yet I just wanted to say... thanks... it was very refreshing and enjoyable to read your reflective and constructive comments on this game Your suggestion is wonderful, too... this would be great to introduce a young reader to one of the classics, I hadn't thought of that.... my child would have loved it at a given age. Also, ie. to play together with a niece, etc... helping them along the way and/or taking turns reading to improve reading skills.

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Jun 26, 12 3:16 AM
OvrThRainbo wrote:
Because the story is set around 100 years ago (circa 1916) during the early years of the SILENT Movies - when dialogue was printed on the screen and IN-BETWEEN scenes there were printed cards w text which filled in story details and which were decorated with interesting graphics which might suit the time period or tone of the film - the game developers chose to include these printed cards in-between scenes in Mata Hari right down to the "flicker" effect of projecting a Silent Movie on a theater screen using a "Talkie" Movie projector (the number of frames per minute was different with each format - hence the flicker. The game developer also chose to make the cards B&W (Black & White) like Silent Movies AND designed in the type of "scratchiness" that one sees in old, un-restored Silent and Talkie pictures.

Oh, I can just imagine the reaction to that. Any sort of simulated background movement gets complaints of motion sickness and flickering or lightning or any sort of flash gets remarks that make it sound as though we've got a lot of photosensitive epilepsy sufferers in here.

Edit: spelling

Edited on 06/26/2012 at 3:18:05 AM PST

[Post New]by Streifenbarbe on Jun 26, 12 5:45 AM
Sorry, but after 10 minutes of the demo I was completely fed up! I love Jane Austen novels, but this game is insulting good literature!

gailgo
Rainbowfish
Rainbowfish
43,711 Posts

[Post New]by gailgo on Jun 26, 12 6:11 AM
Well I trusted the opinions of my two favourite reviewers, and I wasn't disappointed I like this game, a lot; I know not many do. I guess you just have to be in the mood for this type of game, and I am. You just have to take your time and enjoy it. It's definitely different to what we're use to, but, IMO, in a good way.

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Jun 26, 12 9:03 AM
Thanks fortunatus I'm surprised so many hate it, as so many love straight hidden object games. I'm a rare straight(ish) hidden object player anymore (if only they made more dream day games!) so am not the most objective player as I now prefer adventure and puzzles. But honestly didn't think it was that bad!

And to have a game that is slightly educational ( I know it's not the same as reading the book) for children but hopefully gives them some fun at the same time, I think is great, especially to introduce them to a harder type of book to read with all old english type of speaking. But then I don't have children, so don't know if this would be their idea of fun! But it's worth a shot.

Voiceovers is never a game breaker for me but I know for so many they are, just a few tweaks and I think this could have been a favourite among the more IHOG players?

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Jun 26, 12 9:12 AM
if only they made more dream day games!

Totally agree!!

sherisgirl
Minnow
Minnow
229 Posts

[Post New]by sherisgirl on Jun 26, 12 9:26 AM
I had high hopes for this as I have a credit that runs out tomorrow, but could only last 10 mins didnt do anything for me, to much dialogue could see my hour running out just reading it, and still getting nowhere, so no buy for me.

FORTUNATUS
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by FORTUNATUS on Jun 26, 12 9:54 AM
gingergal wrote:Thanks fortunatus I'm surprised so many hate it, as so many love straight hidden object games. I'm a rare straight(ish) hidden object player anymore (if only they made more dream day games!) so am not the most objective player as I now prefer adventure and puzzles. But honestly didn't think it was that bad!

And to have a game that is slightly educational ( I know it's not the same as reading the book) for children but hopefully gives them some fun at the same time, I think is great, especially to introduce them to a harder type of book to read with all old english type of speaking. But then I don't have children, so don't know if this would be their idea of fun! But it's worth a shot.

Voiceovers is never a game breaker for me but I know for so many they are, just a few tweaks and I think this could have been a favourite among the more IHOG players?

`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

You're very welcome gingergal... You don't necessarily have to have children to be a good judge for that sort of thing... you definitely hit a super good point in that P & P would be great for intro to the classics for kids. My child and her friends definitely would have enjoyed this type of game... and would love the 'attention' of a mentor to share time with if at a very young age, and like you said, it could be 'tweaked', too. Alas, my little one's best friend is actually getting married this weekend, sniff sniff... they grow up quickly. Also would be great for pure H0G fans if the snafus were smoothed out.

I, too, love adventure games and being a long time adventurer with a lack of new (worthwhile) pure adventure games, have spanned out into all genres over time. (Began with boxed games, of course).

Have you (or vicalana) played Nora Roberts Vision in White? That was pretty good as an option to the Dream Day series if you've played them all and looking for something similar. It's a very pretty setting, a bit of a romantic theme somewhat similar to DD series (I think anyway, tho opinions may vary as I'm not a hugely strong pure H0G player either except perhaps for fill-in type play). I'm thinking 'Vision in White' would be especially great in the summer on a steaming hot day (as we've had recently in NE)... because there is lots of snow.... overall very peaceful and dreamy game.

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Jun 26, 12 10:19 AM
LOVED Norah Roberts Vision in White. Loved all the Dream Day

[Post New]by OvrThRainbo on Jun 26, 12 10:35 PM
snapnhiss wrote:
OvrThRainbo wrote:
Because the story is set around 100 years ago (circa 1916) during the early years of the SILENT Movies - when dialogue was printed on the screen and IN-BETWEEN scenes there were printed cards w text which filled in story details and which were decorated with interesting graphics which might suit the time period or tone of the film - the game developers chose to include these printed cards in-between scenes in Mata Hari right down to the "flicker" effect of projecting a Silent Movie on a theater screen using a "Talkie" Movie projector (the number of frames per minute was different with each format - hence the flicker. The game developer also chose to make the cards B&W (Black & White) like Silent Movies AND designed in the type of "scratchiness" that one sees in old, un-restored Silent and Talkie pictures.

Oh, I can just imagine the reaction to that. Any sort of simulated background movement gets complaints of motion sickness and flickering or lightning or any sort of flash gets remarks that make it sound as though we've got a lot of photosensitive epilepsy sufferers in here.

Edit: spelling

I had to smile when I read your reply. I don't have Grand Mal Seizures but my Siamese does so I've read up on it. The slight flicker from a silent film being projected with a talkie projector is nothing compared to a strobe light or even a disco ball!

[Post New]by Debauras on Jun 27, 12 11:47 AM
I did the beta test and it was horrible. Thought they'd at least take some of the feedback and make some changes. Nope. I tried it when they introduced, thinking it would be better. I was sadly mistaken. I play about two minutes and that was too much. Maybe the worst I've seen on BF.

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Jun 27, 12 1:15 PM
nora white vision in white no I haven't! Thanks for the tip fortunatus From the screenshots it has a cake and a wedding dress in it! I'm such a romantic and love wedding themes etc which is why I think I love the dream day series.

Now maybe if in this game they had a big chunk of the game with her planning the wedding with choosing and making the cake type mini games and making the dress puzzle and HOs it would have been better.

FORTUNATUS
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by FORTUNATUS on Jun 27, 12 6:08 PM
gingergal, I can't remember exactly since it's been awhile since I played it... just remembered I really liked it so I wouldn't want to spoil anything for you, anyway!

I'll add, it was good enough that I was hoping there would be a sequel; I think I read somewhere they decided not to though ... oh why did they have to do that?

Enjoy

[Post New]by OvrThRainbo on Jun 27, 12 6:25 PM
vicalana wrote:if only they made more dream day games!

Totally agree!!

Is dream day a developer? If so, does offer these games. If yes, can you recommend some titles, please?

the ever inquisitive OvrTheRainbo

pcz8
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
4 Posts

[Post New]by pcz8 on Jun 30, 12 8:06 AM
I love Jane Austin and this is one of my favorite books. I don't mind the talking but the game puzzles just don't work well. The cross stitch puzzle did not make any sense. I am disappointed that Mr. Darcy is so unattractive. It is an okay game but too frustrating to play much. Oh and the story is set in the early 1800's not the 1900's. There were no movies, silent or otherwise then.

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Jul 4, 12 3:15 AM
Just finished the game. I did like the scenes and the items - lovely to look at. But it was a dreadful game. At the end it said play again and if you have 10 hints left over you can get an extra hidden o scene. I don't think so!! I couldn't find many hints anyway. They weren't always helpful - I was told where an item was which I already had. At the end of the game, the last part started again. Then when I went to unlock the pastimes I was told only when I completed the game. Never found many diary pieces either. Very very sloppy.

Go to: