Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

Re:Comments for Howlville: The Dark Past

[Post New]by Valdy on Jul 8, 12 7:42 AM
Although I very much enjoyed the game for quite a while, I got pretty much exhausted what with all the HOS following each other and the many puzzles to solve.
So by the time I managed to get to where I can reach the lab, I just couldn't be bothered to do the rest of the game and deleted it again. I have to admit that I find "Ghost Whisperer" much more entertaining.

phatkhat
Stingray
Stingray
5,001 Posts

[Post New]by phatkhat on Jul 8, 12 1:02 PM
Teddy Bear Slayers Anonymous... ROFLMAO! I'm in!

LULU5635
Marlin
Marlin
8,049 Posts

[Post New]by LULU5635 on Jul 8, 12 8:56 PM
Can someone give me hand? I'm stuck at the laser gun, wanting to blast that bug to kingdom come. I have the strange symbols aligned perfectly. I checked the WT. But all I can do is back out with no way to fire the laser. The WT shows a skip button but I have none. The WT shows the inventory bar hidden but mine won't retract. It was strange playing with no sparkles, not even a twinkle, no witty dialogue, telling me what I needed to find or do. btw the WT indicates, at this point, Congratulations, I won the game. Surely not, without blasting the bug, finding the father and what about the mad scientist? I feel like there should be more.

darkhalf01
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

[Post New]by darkhalf01 on Jul 8, 12 11:07 PM
I enjoyed the demo, but after purchasing the game there were way too many HOS. I got about halfway through the game and got bored with having to do one straight after another.

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Jul 8, 12 11:23 PM
Hi Lulu,
I suspect that there is no skip for this on the harder mode - I certainly didn't have one.
I also thought that I had all of the symbols correct, rechecked the diary numerous times to be sure. In the end I unclicked and then re-clicked a couple of the lines in the red symbol and it finally "accepted" my solution and I was able to finish the game.
I'm not sure if this will work for you, but maybe .....??
Cheers
PS SPOILER - this is the last stage of the game, and it does end after a cut scene.

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Jul 8, 12 11:25 PM
darkhalf01 wrote:I enjoyed the demo, but after purchasing the game there were way too many HOS. I got about halfway through the game and got bored with having to do one straight after another.

So I suppose you won't be joining Teddy Bear Slayers Unanimous then.

LULU5635
Marlin
Marlin
8,049 Posts

[Post New]by LULU5635 on Jul 9, 12 8:05 AM
Thanks DragonLady, it worked just like you said it would. I only changed a few bars, back and forth to what I originally had and the rest fell into place. Did you notice, only 1 name in the credits? That guy must be a workhorse!

phatkhat
Stingray
Stingray
5,001 Posts

[Post New]by phatkhat on Jul 11, 12 11:01 PM
Took a break, and now I'm back to playing. The one big gripe I have is that it seems to be a "pixel hunt". A lot of the items you have to really hit exactly the right spot, or they don't react. But it's still fun, and I'm still playing on hard, LOL.

renaki
Guppy
Guppy
122 Posts

[Post New]by renaki on Jul 12, 12 8:40 AM
Well, I may be the only one here to complain but I did not like the hint system,
having to collect bulbs. I did not like it because I forget. And I remembered only when I needed a hint. mmmmmmm....NO I didn't like this.

KathyGriggs
Guppy
Guppy
176 Posts

[Post New]by KathyGriggs on Jul 12, 12 10:13 AM
This game is frustrating. I like HO games, but they go overboard on this game. Every time you turn around there's another HO. I have been playing HO games for a long long time, and I have NEVER seen so many! There are puzzles within the HO scenes as well. Wish I hadn't of bought it actually; but for those of you who LOVE HO scenes....well, this is for you! As for me it's a . There are so many, I have forgotten the story line.

tredzwater
Minnow
Minnow
231 Posts

[Post New]by tredzwater on Jul 12, 12 5:23 PM
I loved this game!

I like H0s; I like them a lot. Someone talked about "graduating" to adventure games so I guess I'm regressing. I started playing games when Trilobyte was the up-and-coming developing company and loved The 7th Guest. Of course, the first Myst was a real blockbuster, with the first ever morph scene. And, a bunch of games in between. So, I must be starting my schooling all over again.

At my age, I look at H0s with a bit of a different take. To try to keep my brain from turning to Teflon, I read all the items on a H0 list and then try to click on as many as I can remember. I'm thrilled on those (rare) occasions when I can keep 12 of them in my head at once. My standard is usually 7 or 8. Less on bad days. So, when I buy H0s, I look at them as brain therapy. Especially those that SAY they are H0s. I once bought a game advertised as a H0 and it wasn't. I was ticked.

That said, this game had a lot of them, even for me, but the interactivity and embedded puzzles made them delightful. And, I love that there were usually more than one or two in each list. Sometimes, there were five! WooHoo!

The storyline was OK and I'm sure that the devs will get a handle on making really scary monsters, instead of giant ants, but this was a first H0 effort (I checked their website.) for them and they were brilliant! Someone else said they would buy the next offering, demo unseen, and I imagine that I'll do that, too.

My credit card is already buzzing in my wallet. I can hear it.

jellow10
Guppy
Guppy
160 Posts

[Post New]by jellow10 on Jul 14, 12 9:09 PM
Wellllll.....I played the full demo and just got into the guest house. I didn't find this game fun at all. Way too many HOS, one right after another. And most of them I couldn't finish without at least one hint if not more. I don't mind a challenge, but I have to be having fun at the same time. Oh, well, different strokes for different folks. I can see I'm in the minority.

jennsmom
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by jennsmom on Jul 16, 12 5:31 PM
I was enjoying the game, but now, I just find myself frustrated. For example, in an HO I have to dust something off to find a gem. It's "undusted," but the brush won't go away, and when I try to pick up the gem, I am penalized for overclicking. Then, the radio dial (I assume it's a radio). After trying and trying on my own, I finally looked at the walk through. Nope, I had it in the right position at least three times. Had to skip. Have run into several puzzles and HOs like that after leaving the cafe. I was doing fine up to then. I am to the point that I have to quit for a while because it's too frustrating.

candycreme
Clownfish
Clownfish
548 Posts

[Post New]by candycreme on Sep 26, 12 8:27 PM
I loved this game ! Especially the crispy graphics , I bought it as soon as i opened and really enjoyed playing it .I like the hints and the fact that the hidden items could be used near by ,you did not have to go to the begining of the game every time you found something .Thanks Developers and thanks BF.

Go to: