bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

Re:Reviews for Grim Tales: The Wishes Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Aug 4, 12 7:04 AM
Don't usually post reveiws until I have finished a game, but an exception here....I am going to put this game aside for awhile as it is becoming very tedious. Have played for about an hour and am getting quite bored and frustrated. The map can be confusing, although it does give you task hints at each section. Way too many areas to travel and in some areas, you become blocked by others and have to complete the scene there before your game opens up again....in these areas, I have not idea what they really have to do with the story and they just don't make sense. Not very cohesive here.

Graphics are very good, clear and crisp. HOS are somewhat easy but the items are VERY small, so you have to look hard to find them. At one point, the puppet appears but not sure what his purpose is except to reiterate what all the other characters say. SKIP and HINT buttons refill very quickly. I have used the peawadin out of the HINT button just to keep going and it basically tells you what to do and where to go next. I am working in the casual mode, so there is a lot of hand-holding. A lot of moving around and repeated dialog which gets annoying.

Will probably return to this game when I have nothing else to play. So far I give it a 2.5 ...because it is getting to be real old...basically, a bit of a sleeper.

Additional note: I did return and finished the game. I thought maybe I had left an earlier review...I have posted an updated review of the game....my thoughts on it have changed a little, gave it a better rating. You can find it further on in the forum.

Edited on 09/11/2012 at 10:00:19 AM PST

[Post New]by octoberapple on Aug 9, 12 4:11 AM
I did not have the chance to play the first 2 parts of the series. So I had quite fresh eyes on the Grim Tales and I must admit I liked it . The most appealing of all were HO scenes – very clear and just of my level. Of course, 3 gameplay modes which is very useful when you can’t boast a great game history yet, I think. Oh, I nearly forgot to mention fabulous special effects – they stole my heart.

There is no other way for me but to buy this game!

Jurinne
Clownfish
Clownfish
606 Posts

[Post New]by Jurinne on Aug 9, 12 11:23 PM
This is based on the demo: What a beautiful game! I really like these devs. They obviously put a lot of time and effort into what ended up as a very high quality game.

The graphics are great, the story is great, there is a sweet purring kitten that I found difficult to tear myself away from...the only thing I'm not sure about is whether to purchase the CE or SE. The Hint Button gives real hints; actually they are more like holding one's hand and leading one to the next step (which is always obvious when using 20/20 hindsight) so I don't feel the need for a SG. A bonus chapter, though - that would be very nice.

The puppet - well, I guess something else I'm not sure about. I haven't made my mind up about that. It does seem a bit childish but then I haven't interacted with it much (yet). Also, this is a child's puppet, in a child's nightmare-come-true, so I should take that into consideration.

I've enjoyed the other two Grim Tales games I've played, both SE.

Thanks, devs and BF for such a wonderful game! I give this game five out of five kitties!

Edited on 08/09/2012 at 11:25:49 PM PST

[Post New]by mimikat05 on Aug 22, 12 8:58 AM
Absolutely LOVED this game! You have to get it and play the bonus game after it also! I am a big HOG gamer and this was one of the best! Worth the money! WooHoo!!!

[Post New]by Lady2610 on Aug 23, 12 7:51 AM
Brilliant just brilliant. Can't say much more really. Length of game was great as were puzzles - just loved everything about it. Buy it you'll love it.

kanona29
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by kanona29 on Aug 24, 12 5:31 AM

I play a lot of games, but I rarely post on the forums and it's an even more rare occasion for me to write a review. But I had to post because I really thought this HOG adventure made for a pretty complete game.

I played on Hardcore level which means no sparkles, no hints, and no skip button. I loved the mixture of challenges this game provided from easy to difficult tasks.

The graphics were crystal clear, especially at times when I would hook my laptop up to my TV screen monitor. Absolutely gorgeous!

The length of this game is long which I was happy about since I kept wanting to play more and more as the game continued. It really felt like I went on a adventure.

I had never played the previous Grim Tales, so I have nothing to compare this game to by the same developers. But because of the excellent gameplay, I am going to check out the previous installments of this series.

iamlindy
Guppy
Guppy
101 Posts

[Post New]by iamlindy on Sep 3, 12 9:42 PM
This was absolutely one of THE best games I have played in quite some time! Wow. Long and fun, lots to do, oodles of good things about this game. I am sure others have been more eloquent but this rates very high on the scale for me

[Post New]by fairygodmother55 on Sep 8, 12 6:34 PM
nightkat1 wrote:Elephant Games have quickly become my favorite devs. This game was so much fun; I enjoyed (nearly) everything about it. However, I do have just a couple of maybe "nitpicky" comments. First of all, I found a couple of grammatical errors which kind of surprised me. Then there's the minigames. I almost never skip puzzles; I love them. This time, I had to skip several because either they didn't seem to work right or I couldn't figure out how to play them (maybe I'm becoming more stupid or something). Anyway, the glow bugs and the lizard made no sense whatsoever because the lizard never made any moves or anything; just sat there. I made it through, but really didn't have a clue as to what I was trying to do. Then the flowers puzzle. I knew what needed to be done; but never could get that one even close to completion. And, of course, the soccer game. I did finish the first two levels, but could not for the life of me finish the third. The picture on the SG didn't match what I had to work with. Like I said, these were small issues and does not change my overall high regard for Elephant Games.

These were the EXACT issues I had! I HATE HATE HATE skipping puzzles but these three were just not worth the time I was putting into them ( unlike the ones from The Legacy which I took hours to work on .. and felt accomplished at the end)
This game just seems tedious.... I am just trying to get through it now, and that is not usual for me... The SG was not helpful as far as these games went... kinda disappointed after the first two Grim Tales.... just sayin'..

Edited on 09/08/2012 at 6:41:43 PM PST

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Sep 11, 12 9:53 AM
Okay....I stopped and started this game about 3 weeks later. Big mistake...this game has so many things going on that if you don't sit and play it through (and it is a long one) you can get lost. I never used the strategy guide, but I used a fast charging HINT "flower" a lot. You had too, the game didn't always give you adequate clues as to where to go and what to do next. Has a jump map which is a God send because it also gives clues as to what needs to be done at the site.

No doubt the puppet is annoying. Also, you play the game mostly in silence and then all of a sudden...MUSIC at those "defining moments"...just about scares you to death because you are concentrating so hard. Most sounds are not bad except that constant "ticking" in the house....really annoying.

HOS are interactive and somewhat easy, however some items are small and can be hard to find. Some mini games are easy and fun, others tedious but the SKIP button is a fast recharger and you can skip them and move on if you chose. I found no penalties in the game.

Graphics clear, crisp and cool. Several scenes involved in this game. Actually a happy ending, but the bonus game completes the game. Not sure how the SE will end...but it did conclude and did not leave you hanging.

For the most part, a good 4.5 game in my opinion and certainly feel it was worth the purchase of the CE.

LadyJane50
Guppy
Guppy
183 Posts

[Post New]by LadyJane50 on Sep 29, 12 4:40 PM
Great job developers!

I beta-tested this game and knew that I was going to purchase it. It was my first CE game, and I am hooked!

Where do I start? The strategy guide is way too cool. Great, great graphics, good voiceovers, fast Hint "flower," colorful story line.

The entire Grim Tales line of games is worth the money!

Micha1234
Clownfish
Clownfish
910 Posts

[Post New]by Micha1234 on Dec 1, 12 6:16 AM
One of the most tedious games I have ever played.....tiny HOG items and confusing mini-game instructions....and the solutions in the SG are sometimes not the same as mine.....

chamie2
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
18 Posts

[Post New]by chamie2 on Mar 1, 13 12:07 PM
Best game that I bought so far; never let me down even when I forgot some items, went back and they were still there...but I would not have been able to finish without the map.. I would buy any other game similar and I wish every game had a map. I am a 76 years old lady casual gamer cause I only play to enjoy myself and at the price, its cheap for all the hours of fun

Go to: