Brendansoma1
Minnow
Minnow
255 Posts

Re:Comments for Gothic Fiction: Dark Saga Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Brendansoma1 on Aug 30, 12 11:36 AM
Robilyn wrote:I have to agree with shadowfax44. They would rather risk losing a lot of customers, to make a handful happy. Well I for one, will not be buying this game. Everything I read about this game said it was an IHOG. Well I played 45 minutes of the demo, and I didn't find one HOG. Oh well onward, and upward. Thanks for the memories ERS.

So, just because you like a bunch of IHOS, the developers are now only catering to the 'very few' who don't?

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

Comments for Gothic Fiction: Dark Saga Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Valdy on Aug 30, 12 11:57 AM
shadowfax44 wrote:Hello gamers! I believe that if you liked Penumbra Motel (I didn't) that you will like this game... It may be touted as an IHOG but it isn't an IHOG. I am distraught that one my formerly fave developers have sold out to those who play IHOGs but hate them and complain about the HOS... Oh well, there are other devs out there who know what we IHOGgers like and are keeping their games "on track". JMHO of course... Happy gaming and to: Eee Are Ess... I would love it if you would get back to what you do best... IHOGs... the real deal. Post your comments here.

I was rather disappointed with "Penumbra Motel", but I really like this game.

I too was disappointed that they didn't add any iHOS, especially since they are now giving their HOGs those nice new ones with silhouettes and where you have to do lots of interactive stuff in the HOS. Really like those HOS. So yes, I was somewhat sad about the fact that they omitted those.

But I really like this game so much more than "Penumbra Motel". I wouldn't have bought the CE if it hadn't been on sale, though. Too often I am disappointed with ERS' bonus games.

--- --- ---

Anyway, I am not sure it's ERS' fault that whoever writes the synopsis on the main game page made this game out to be a HOPA. This would be up to BigFish, surely, to make sure they get the genre right.

That wasn't directed at you, Shadowfax, but to whoever feels that ERS was the culprit.

[Post New]by partyofthree on Aug 30, 12 1:10 PM
I totally agree with Gilly...it's getting hard to find good games and sometimes my free game coupons expire before I find one I think I'll enjoy.

Itsupikachu
Flounder
Flounder
2,158 Posts

[Post New]by Itsupikachu on Aug 30, 12 1:20 PM
This game, unfortunately, has no appeal to me at all. Part of the reason is due to the subject-witches, yet AGAIN! Can't developers think of something besides witches,etc? Also, I am one who enjoys HOGs with lists, although, I prefer interactive HOGs instead of just plain HOGs. I watched the video but nothing about it made me want to play the trial. Hopefully, we'll get something better soon.

[Post New]by biscuitsmama on Aug 30, 12 2:18 PM
Valdy wrote:Morning, all...

Hope everyone saw the offer (today only) to get this game for $9.99!!

Of course, since this offer is only for today, and since only Game Club Members can buy the game today, and since we get CEs for $13.99, it's not "over 50%" off.

It would be over 50% off if the game was still available for this price tomorrow, and non-club members could get it for $9.99 instead of $19.99. But since that is not the case, this game is about 40% cheaper, but still a bargain, of course. Just thought I would mention the false statement of today's sale.

Of course, I didn't see the tiny box at the top advertising the discounted price. It rather irritates me that I have these huge pop-up boxes in my game manager with advertisements, but not for this one. I was so focused on getting this game that I totally missed the sale and blew and extra credit! BFG - Please use bigger boxes for your special sales!

I have been waiting weeks for this game and so far, I am certainly not disappointed.

slotfish
Minnow
Minnow
245 Posts

[Post New]by slotfish on Aug 30, 12 3:12 PM
Not my style sorry ERS and Big Fish

[Post New]by PandaBearCub on Aug 30, 12 3:15 PM
Didn't we get rid of the witch already in another game? You'd think with all of us Sharks, Whales, Manatees, dolphins and many other fine fishies fighting her she'd back off! LOL

PurrrThang
Herring
Herring
394 Posts

[Post New]by PurrrThang on Aug 30, 12 3:48 PM
So far I've found that there are no no-nos in games for me. I can manage the spiders and know that when I see occult references in a game it is just a game. But this game is just not for me ever as SE or DD or any free game either. It just game me the creeps. Young girls being stolen away by a warlock in drag maybe. Not for me at all. I just couldn't enjoy it.

FORTUNATUS
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by FORTUNATUS on Aug 30, 12 5:48 PM
EHHHH.... I have to agree with the 'nay's on this one.... young souls being taken? That's a game!?, as in, gee, I want to spend my leisure time relaxing with that theme!? Yet another evil witch? oy vey... enough already. Oh... I may as well add... busy, busy (too much busy in the graphics)! Not to mention dark and gloomy (again). And, uh, plants with eyeballs that talk (er, ok.... could be cool I guess?)... puzzles that help you find the necessary items to move forward (ie. car latch opener as example)... Huh?

Oh well. I played the whole demo and thought it was reeeely prity stoooopid overall...(yes, intentional misspell). But, that's just my opinion.....

For those enjoying... enjoy!

I DID like some of the puzzles... they were unique and the swamp (though in demo you don't get to utilize... it looked fun creepy.... just not a game I want AND YET I NEED CREDITS TO FILL MY PUNCHES, ERRR.

ETA: I also liked that there were no H0G's in this one... it was nice for a change of pace. (Ok, get mad at me... I can take it).

Edited on 08/30/2012 at 5:50:46 PM PST

sparkle76
Marlin
Marlin
9,781 Posts

[Post New]by sparkle76 on Aug 30, 12 8:30 PM
i was hoping to fill my punchcard with the purchase of this game... i generally enjoy adventure-lite games, however this one is totally boring and i really dislike the graphics, live actors and voice overs. it is an ihog without the hos, and a boring story, and tedious gameplay. unfortunately my punchcard remains half filled!

dakini
Guppy
Guppy
152 Posts

[Post New]by dakini on Aug 30, 12 9:37 PM
I did like this game. Loved the portals. Wished the minigames were a bit harder but all in all good. Now the question is the bonus play essential to the story?

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Aug 31, 12 2:47 AM
It's a very well done game, lots of fun to play and I don't miss the hidden object scenes at all however I don't like waiting that long for the hint to refill when I'm playing on easy mode and I'd like better hints than "nothing to do here, move along". I'm playing on easy mode for a reason... I'm lazy. Give me an arrow to point me in the right direction.

It was a real deal at $9.99 though, so I can't complain too much.

laraly
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by laraly on Aug 31, 12 4:37 AM
bratzgram wrote:Man was I confused when I started this demo. For a minute I thought BF was trying to trick us by offering a repeat CE I knew I had played it before the minute it started.

I had this for a beta test months ago so I had to look at my notes to see what I thought then
I did enjoy the test though so will buy without demo. I do seem to be partial to ER games though.

Good job Valdy! I mentioned that pricing thing many times to my husband. That has always made me laugh. Wondering if BF thinks we can't figure that out!

HELLO Casualgran Haven't seen you here for a while. Nice to see your back.

Yeph! I had the same problem, (see my comment) , but at least , since April, you are still in the mood to play this game, I am not! Good for you! Cheers!

Edited on 08/31/2012 at 4:37:55 AM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Aug 31, 12 6:01 AM
biscuitsmama wrote:
Valdy wrote:Morning, all...

Hope everyone saw the offer (today only) to get this game for $9.99!!

Of course, since this offer is only for today, and since only Game Club Members can buy the game today, and since we get CEs for $13.99, it's not "over 50%" off.

It would be over 50% off if the game was still available for this price tomorrow, and non-club members could get it for $9.99 instead of $19.99. But since that is not the case, this game is about 40% cheaper, but still a bargain, of course. Just thought I would mention the false statement of today's sale.

Of course, I didn't see the tiny box at the top advertising the discounted price. It rather irritates me that I have these huge pop-up boxes in my game manager with advertisements, but not for this one. I was so focused on getting this game that I totally missed the sale and blew and extra credit! BFG - Please use bigger boxes for your special sales!

I have been waiting weeks for this game and so far, I am certainly not disappointed.

Hi Biscuitsmama... (mmmmmm, you sound yummy)

Anyway... when I go to the BigFish site, I always start at the Home page. And just below the line with tabs for "Home", "Browse Genres", "New Releases", etc, there is this huge 2inch long banner going all the way from left to right, informing me of a sale that is on at the moment. I never miss it. I can't miss it. It's just too big to be missed.

I don't know where on BigFish you start from, but if it's not the Home page, I suggest you make that your starting point.

[Post New]by biscuitsmama on Aug 31, 12 6:38 AM
Valdy wrote:
biscuitsmama wrote:
Valdy wrote:
Hi Biscuitsmama... (mmmmmm, you sound yummy)

Anyway... when I go to the BigFish site, I always start at the Home page. And just below the line with tabs for "Home", "Browse Genres", "New Releases", etc, there is this huge 2inch long banner going all the way from left to right, informing me of a sale that is on at the moment. I never miss it. I can't miss it. It's just too big to be missed.

I don't know where on BigFish you start from, but if it's not the Home page, I suggest you make that your starting point.

Thanks Valdy - always love reading your reviews and comments. I always do start at the home page but silly me, I guess you have to hit me with a hammer or a big flashing sign to get my attention. LOL. I do love this game even if I missed the sale.

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Aug 31, 12 8:54 AM
FORTUNATUS wrote:EHHHH.... I have to agree with the 'nay's on this one.... young souls being taken? That's a game!?, as in, gee, I want to spend my leisure time relaxing with that theme!? Yet another evil witch? oy vey... enough already. Oh... I may as well add... busy, busy (too much busy in the graphics)! Not to mention dark and gloomy (again). And, uh, plants with eyeballs that talk (er, ok.... could be cool I guess?)... puzzles that help you find the necessary items to move forward (ie. car latch opener as example)... Huh?

Oh well. I played the whole demo and thought it was reeeely prity stoooopid overall...(yes, intentional misspell). But, that's just my opinion.....

For those enjoying... enjoy!

I DID like some of the puzzles... they were unique and the swamp (though in demo you don't get to utilize... it looked fun creepy.... just not a game I want AND YET I NEED CREDITS TO FILL MY PUNCHES, ERRR.

ETA: I also liked that there were no H0G's in this one... it was nice for a change of pace. (Ok, get mad at me... I can take it).

Your post cracked me up. (reeeeely prity fuuuuuny).

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Aug 31, 12 9:00 AM
Thank you, Biscuitsmama. Well, it happens that sometimes we don't see what is right in front of our eyes.

Well, I just finished the main game, and am now playing the bonus game. I think that ERS have outdone themselves. This is a very ambitious game. Lots of different things in here: lots of scenes, and the map is quite nicely done - just wish it could be used to jump, although I did like getting help from the girl when I needed it. But still, there are so many different places to go to, it would have been easier on my poor feet if I could have used the map to jump to the different areas.

SPOILER ALERT

The bonus game is super great as well - very interesting, but not for those peeps who shy away even from a pentagram in games. I have met the himself, and need to get 3 gold coins so I can pay the ferryman to get me over to the other side. Ooooh....
*starts singing*
Don't pay the ferryman...
don't even fix the price...
don't pay the ferryman...
until he gets you to the other side. Ahaaaa...

END of SPOILER ALERT

Oh, and btw... I read somewhere that ERS is based in Kiev, and perhaps time goes by more slowly in the Ukraine, but in my part of planet Earth a minute is way shorter than what it takes for both the hint and skip buttons to fill in easy mode. We are told it takes a minute in Easy mode, but boy, that minute sure is a long one.

ETA: Forgot to mention: There were 2 glitches in my copy of the main game: in one scene the game froze and I got an error message, and in another scene I was kicked out of the game. Both times I just went back in and was able to continue without problems. But still... never came across these glitches in previous ERS games.

Edited on 08/31/2012 at 9:54:03 AM PST

nehmah
Starfish
Starfish
52 Posts

[Post New]by nehmah on Aug 31, 12 9:21 AM
thanks for the reduced price on this game. I am most surely NOt the best gameplayer. With this game, I can use the Strategy "book" without being led by the hand. I also agree re: witch as ALWAYS the baddie. Welll, not always but must they give them a campy voice? Enough and get on with the show! nehmah

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Aug 31, 12 9:38 AM
I have now finished the bonus game. Don't know how long it was, but for me it had just the right length. And I loved it. Really well done, and didn't come across any glitches.

SolarEclipse
Minnow
Minnow
230 Posts

[Post New]by SolarEclipse on Aug 31, 12 9:49 AM
Are there any Occult symbols such as Pentacles/Pentagrams? Thanks for the help.

Go to: