annetterider
Guppy
Guppy
194 Posts

Re:Reviews for Gothic Fiction: Dark Saga Collector's Edition

[Post New]by annetterider on Sep 4, 12 9:05 AM
Wow where do I start with game.
I thought I would love this game, I played the demo for 20 mins and loved it.
After buying it and playing it for a while I had to leave it and then come back, I found it hard to get back into it, went to the SG to pick it up again.
Played for a while and was getting a bit fed up with going back and forth so much to lots of different places, and having so many things left unfinished at once I got confused.
Had to go back to the SG to find out what to do next.
The map was of no help, and the hint button, well it may as well not have one.

I am sorry that I bought this game I wasted my money.
I am over it and cant be bothered finishing it.

So unless you love going around and around and having a hundred tasks to do at once you wont like this game.

The graphics are good an the story line is not bad, but for me it still needs a lot of work on it.

More money wasted.

Not happy Jan

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Sep 4, 12 10:52 AM
this is a GREAT game, with new features. we have not played a game like this in a long time. we give this game 5 stars.-------doug & lisa

OzzyRobyn
Minnow
Minnow
254 Posts

[Post New]by OzzyRobyn on Sep 6, 12 12:05 PM

Love it! Great story, great graphics, good puzzles. However, if you are a H0 addict this one isn't for you as there are no H0s at all. Works for me though! Veryhighly recommended.

darkhalf01
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

[Post New]by darkhalf01 on Sep 6, 12 4:05 PM
annetterider wrote:Wow where do I start with game.
I thought I would love this game, I played the demo for 20 mins and loved it.
After buying it and playing it for a while I had to leave it and then come back, I found it hard to get back into it, went to the SG to pick it up again.
Played for a while and was getting a bit fed up with going back and forth so much to lots of different places, and having so many things left unfinished at once I got confused.
Had to go back to the SG to find out what to do next.
The map was of no help, and the hint button, well it may as well not have one.

I am sorry that I bought this game I wasted my money.
I am over it and cant be bothered finishing it.

So unless you love going around and around and having a hundred tasks to do at once you wont like this game.

The graphics are good an the story line is not bad, but for me it still needs a lot of work on it.

More money wasted.

Not happy Jan

darkhalf01
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

[Post New]by darkhalf01 on Sep 6, 12 4:06 PM
Thanks Annetterider, my thoughts exactly!

What's the point of having a map in a CE if it doesn't actually do anything?

jjj13
Squid
Squid
68 Posts

[Post New]by jjj13 on Sep 7, 12 12:52 PM
Have to agree with others the lack of a decent map and/or the ability to jump to locations using the map make this game the worst game I have ever played by ER. I give up, am near end but just cannot be bothered any more as no pleasure going round and round. Waste of money for me.

sillygrrl
Squid
Squid
61 Posts

[Post New]by sillygrrl on Sep 7, 12 12:59 PM
This is a good game, but it is NOT, repeat NOT a Hidden Object Game. It is an Adventure Game Only.

[Post New]by Bloodrosewitch1 on Sep 7, 12 10:02 PM
Played the game and finished it it was great but what are the "extras" I thought there would be more the concept art and wall paper like in the phenoix game where there was more to be played

Scottsteaux63
Minnow
Minnow
222 Posts

[Post New]by Scottsteaux63 on Sep 9, 12 1:50 PM
Cool game. We've seen this plot line a hundred times by now, of course, but what it lacks in originality it more than makes up for in sheer creepiness. I love the creepy games; for me the creepier the better, and this one does not disappoint.

I played on the casual level which was about right for me as I am at best an intermediate player and I am absolutely terrible at puzzles, but I did not have to skip many this time around.

Bonus content was fun too.

Slight feeling of déjà vu here, but it's all good. Highly recommended.

pvsquare
Guppy
Guppy
177 Posts

[Post New]by pvsquare on Sep 10, 12 5:47 PM
ERS again does not disappoint me. It is an adventure game not a HOG. The graphics are very good the sound adds to the spooky atmosphere. The hints are there if you don't want to use the strategy guide. Well done ERS

[Post New]by laghostgirl on Sep 12, 12 6:06 AM
WOW!!! What a great game. Nice clear graphics. Nice voice overs and the music wasn't too bad. I played in Hard mode and it wasn't too difficult. It was nice not to have to use the "guide" too often. However, the puzzles seemed extremely easy. But, it made it enjoyable instead of frustrating.

Thanks for another great game BF

emmyjayne
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,375 Posts

[Post New]by emmyjayne on Sep 12, 12 6:01 PM
Ugh...yet another ERS formula game. Same graphics, themes (how many children have we saved now from an evil villian/witch?!), same repetitive sounds, same horrid music. And yet again really, really bad live actors whose mouths never match the words being said. Also the same flapping/sparkling journals (this game has two to annoy us) that won't stop moving/flapping until you open it. As others have mentioned, a completely useless map. ERS used to be so great but they continue their spiral downward... they seem to release more games per year than any other dev but are starting to alienate their long-time customers who are tired of the same old games.

ttomm46
Guppy
Guppy
123 Posts

[Post New]by ttomm46 on Sep 25, 12 8:28 PM
What a dud..I used a credit and the story is weak....Stuck even with the strategy guide trying to leave basement.....Never that clear what to do next..No fast travel...I like adventure games but should have learned after Pnumbra Hotel..

vezzettj
Guppy
Guppy
157 Posts

[Post New]by vezzettj on Sep 30, 12 10:24 AM
I only played part of the demo but I am intrigued and turned-off at the same time!

I've been a fan of ERS games for a while... I do NOT buy every one as soon as they are released but I do end up with most of their story lines. This game IS a departure from their normal graphics style and game play which is where my confusion comes in. I always encourage game developers to try new things; one of the forums biggest complaints on ERS is that they have been doing the exact same thing for years now and here is finally something new!

My dislike: I HATE live actors in games. The only deveolper I've seen do this "acceptably" is BFG... and then I probably only keep buying them due to loyalty. Where some reviewers say to skip the voice acting if you can't afford the talent; I say skip the cheesy live actor wantabees if you can't afford decent actors! It just pulls you out of the game too much and if you are already "suspending your disbelief" on some of the inventory usage, using live actors just reminds you how NOT REAL the game is.

My like: Again, I didn't play very long (grrrr live actors) but the story was darker than many ERS games, the graphics support this, and a "non hidden object scene hidden object game" is a great twist. I do like the map (though an instant travel map would have been nice too but then people complain the game is over too fast!) and I like the overall development of the 3 difficulty level options that ERS has developed over time (see, they HAVE been trying new things). I am appearently an "advanced" player even though I keep trying to play on "hard" mode and getting fusterated... but that is my error, not ERS' and when you can change the mode whenever you want there is no "penalty" for trying something new.

Overall, I have a backlog of games to play so I'm passing on this one but the only reason is the live actors! I still support ERS and will be looking for their next new story line!

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Oct 19, 12 8:21 AM
really good game, bonus was a little short. but overall well worth the money

Laflamme
Stingray
Stingray
4,512 Posts

[Post New]by Laflamme on Oct 25, 12 8:36 AM
Review based upon completion of the game and the bonus content.

ERS is trying something different! Yes, ERS! I didn't believe it either.

We all know that ERS is capable of doing great intro videos. This time, more of those can be seen during gameplay.
There are no Hidden Object Scenes, this game could be described as a True Adventure Light.
There are varied puzzles, some of them I haven't seen before, but all of them are ridiculously easy. Might have something to do with the chosen difficulty (Casual), but usually this affects only the duration of time before the skip meter fills.
Well, three puzzles were a little bit more complicated. For the "demon slider" I had to consult the SG about where they wanted to have each face. The second one (number slider) required a bit of strategy where to move each number and when to put it in an upright position. For another one, the explanation sounded complicated, but once you realised what they want from you it was ridiculously easy.

Graphics were very well done (the planetarium scene was a tad blurry), I also liked the map with the hints what to do on location. What I did not like was that I have to click myself repeatedly through numerous long-solved locations to get to the ones at the end of the path with open tasks. Those quick travel portals opened by the ghosts helped a little, but I would have liked more of them. Also, they were opened with still open tasks there, so you immediately had to return there the regular way.

The story was run-of-the-mill, well executed within its boundaries. A bit scary, but no threat since you were adequately equipped - this way the witch lost much of her danger. Would have liked to find the book pages in order though.

Also, positive: Most of the riddles could be solved with items in the same room. Negative: Some riddles were opened too early - see "code picture in the entry hall".

Bonus content: For once, the game ended satisfactorily. The bonus chapter just goes all Kim Bauer on the daughter again. However, it's a bit more difficult than the regular game, and I got stuck more often. For any others: Once you ignored Chris de Burgh and paid the Ferryman check for an arrow pointing right! As usual, forget the rest of the boni.

Bottom Line: For ERS, this game borders on innovation! Their games are usually great as SEs, I recommend buying that one as CE.

[Post New]by whirled_peas on Nov 18, 12 10:52 PM
While the puzzles were pretty good and there were no HOS, I kept hoping this game would end about an hour before it did. I think I wore out three pairs of shoes trekking around. The map wasn't that great - if you could have used it to jump this game would have been much, much better. I bought the CE and now I'm reluctant to play the bonus game. Maybe I'll have more energy and a new pair of shoes tomorrow...

Well, it took a couple of days to get back to it, but the Bonus chapter was more fun than the game, as I didn't have to run a mile in different directions constantly. Only one pair of shoes needed. Puzzles were still pretty good and graphics not bad. Still no HOS - which is a good thing.

Edited on 11/23/2012 at 4:16:45 PM PST

oscar66
Herring
Herring
307 Posts

[Post New]by oscar66 on Jan 9, 13 8:32 PM
One of my least favourite games that I have ever played in this genre. Had there been an interactive map it would have been far more enjoyable. It was kind of a crap map overall. It really brought down the gameplay imo. Puzzles were pretty good, Some different stuff, graphics very nice, Storyline was detailed if you took the time to read the notes and witch book. Everyone likes a game with a decent length, but when you are having to wander all over, with no real flow, imo, it starts to wear you down.

[Post New]by BalsallHeathen on Feb 5, 13 8:34 AM

Finally a game truly worth the cost and just what I needed to cheer me up and on a snowy day in Birmingham (UK).
This offering has a decent storyline and some really nice graphics. It is not a 'perfect' puzzle adventure, but it is about as good as they get and certainly one of the best I have played in a long time. Nice music too.
Sorry all you hidden object fans there are no HOSs. Still stick it out as there is a suprisingly good extra levels game at the end of the CE version.
This is a must for all who don't mind a bit of running around and one or two puzzles that make you actually think instead of just clicking on a list of goodies.
Let's have more like it - but let's have them clasified correctly as Puzzle Adventures to save any confussion.
I would recommend this game to all who want something a bit different to the endless HOGs that are on offer.

Tomsde
Guppy
Guppy
132 Posts

[Post New]by Tomsde on Feb 17, 13 10:33 PM
I am usually a big ERS Game fan, but I need to read the description or play the demo in the future. I like Hidden Object Games--this was not a Hidden Object Game. While I liked the artwork, the storyline left something to be desired--the usual abducted child scenario. The artwork and music were good, but that's about the only good thing I can say about it. I found it a very difficult game, I did not like the abrupt ending. It was very much like Penumbra Motel--which I also loathed. I am not a big fan of live actors in games, with the possible exception of Wax Beauty (whichI loved). I walk through would have been helpful, I didn't find the stragety guide to be adequate and I had some difficulty getting through some sections.

The bottom line is if you are tired of hidden object games and liked Penumbra Motel I'm sure you'd like this title. If you want a hidden object game, don't buy this one.

Go to: