SabreQueen
Clownfish
Clownfish
658 Posts

Re:Reviews for Dark Parables: The Red Riding Hood Sisters Collector's Edition

[Post New]by SabreQueen on Sep 24, 12 7:03 PM
Liked it very much for all the reasons listed but DID find the puzzles a bit on the easy side.

The morphing objects were tricky as i realized u had to keep going back to some sites to find them as I KNOW I clicked on several I found likely suspects and was right but not at that time in the game . Sneaky!

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Sep 25, 12 7:46 AM
we own all the games of this series and we just did not care for this one, we willl put it on the shelf and play later.------------------doug & lisa

josie41132
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by josie41132 on Sep 25, 12 4:58 PM
I was so excited to find a new Dark Parables!! After downloading I was completely disappointed. I can't believe the devs turned this one into a frog. Frogs are not my cup of tea. Never has been and never will be. I guess this is one Dark Parable that won't go into my collection of games.

sfcali
Guppy
Guppy
128 Posts

[Post New]by sfcali on Sep 25, 12 11:29 PM
I wanted to add one more comment to my review and touch on an issue that has come up in another thread: the characters' costumes.

This is a topic that has been brought up in discussions of other games, but it is perhaps most notable here because the Red Riding Hood Sisters are dressed like femme fatales, showing skin, sexy shoes and provocative poses.

Personally, I like these costumes. I feel it goes very well with both the lushly detailed environments and with the action-filled storyline. I do believe it adds to the overall look and effect of the game in a positive way, increasing the entertainment value.

My only complaint about the Dark Parables series is the mystery about "The Detective" because we never know more about this detective's background and why they're doing what they do (unless it was explained in the first game of the series, which I haven't played yet).

But there is enough to suspect the time period is modern, at or near the 20th century at least, even though the fairytale worlds are timeless era set in the Black Forest. This seems to make players want clothing that "fits the period" and can be incongruous to players' immersion in the game environment. I don't think the fix is to change the costumes but to drop more hints about the time period.

Regardless, I speak as one who doesn't expect--in fact, doesn't want--realism in my games. The impossible quest for realism has ruined many an online RPG in my time, and I'd hate to see it ruin the HOPAs that I also enjoy. There is no way to put realism in fantasy worlds. Just make whatever it is you're crafting be logical according to the game world, and you're fine.

So keep the eye candy in Dark Parables. I wouldn't mind seeing a few more handsome men added to the lot, too.

sea_maid
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

[Post New]by sea_maid on Sep 27, 12 7:39 AM

Edited on 09/28/2012 at 6:09:39 AM PST

chooky35
Seahorse
Seahorse
30 Posts

[Post New]by chooky35 on Sep 27, 12 8:25 PM
This is also one of my favourites in the Dark Parables series.
I loved the story line! ideas from fairy tales, but given a new twist!

Thanks Big Fish

Laflamme
Stingray
Stingray
4,512 Posts

[Post New]by Laflamme on Sep 29, 12 10:14 AM
Review based upon completion of the game plus bonus.

The fourth game of the series brings back all the elements that I loved: Beautiful graphics, FROG scenes and a twisted storyline made up of Rotkäppchen (Little Red Riding Hood, Grimm Brothers) and The Boy who cried Wolf (Aesop).

The Good:

+ beautiful graphics
+ great video cut scenes
+ FROG scenes are harder this time, with some items not being so obvious
+ they spared us the trademark Giant Spider this time around
+ fairy tale match-up riddle
+ morphing objects...

The Neutral:

o ...were sometimes tiny and time-dependent, which isn't really necessary
o there could have been more and varied riddles

The Bad:

- lots of senseless to-and-froing

Bonus Content: The story took me about one hour to complete. It ties in with the story and plays before the events with the Riding Hood Sisters. The rest is the usual (wallpapers, saveable soundtrack, some concept art and puzzles that are repeated from the game) stuff you are getting with a CE.

Bottom Line: If you loved parts 1-3 you will love this game too. Next one should be Aschenputtel (Cinderella).

P.S.: Those wolf pups were really cute.

[Post New]by quarlesqueen on Oct 3, 12 3:03 PM
I have to start out by saying, I just LOVE, love, Blue Tea games, and this last installment is no exception, done to perfection as usual .

I was so excited to see this available for purchase, today, because BT games have everything in their games, that I love .
They give me FROG scenes, that are not only FUN to complete, but plenty of them, which is getting rare these days, so THANKS developers ...love this about their games, and there cannot be to many for me .
Than there are the morphing objects to collect, not easy, but love the challenge .
And on top of collecting those, you also get to collect peices of the parables, to read the completed story afterwards, all of this is an added bonus to the game play, and one of the reasons, I find it SO ENJOYABLE, to play this game, it has it all ...LOVE having tons to do and find, and this gem is loaded !

Now add to that, BREATH TAKING, clear, crisp, stunning visuals, and BEAUTIFUL artwork, with such attention to detail, in each and every scene, and every item for that matter, and the PERFECT voice overs and cut scenes, and you end up with a well crafted game, in every aspect of the game making process.

I am BIG into fantasy, the way these developers put a twist on the fairy tales, is so imaginative and creative, and the way they bring the entire story together with the parables book, to read after you have collected all of the peices, is wonderful for me ( my memory is terrible...lol )..so this part that they didn't have to do, really brought everything as far as the story was concerned, together, and I enjoyed the story even more .

The game had a nice length, which is important to me also, loved the bonus play too, 10 chapters + bonus + mini games to replay, all make for a worthy CE IMHO!
Blue Tea, keep making these GREAT games, and I will continue to buy them, way to go on yet another BEAUTIFUL, FUN and EXCITING game !!

barbee44
Clownfish
Clownfish
667 Posts

[Post New]by barbee44 on Oct 7, 12 7:35 PM
I played the demo and I love FROGS and this has the best FROG scenes but I just can't get into the story. Too weird for me. This will be the very first Dark Parables I will not buy, and the first FROG I'm passing up. Hope there will be more coming.

barbee44
Clownfish
Clownfish
667 Posts

[Post New]by barbee44 on Oct 7, 12 7:38 PM

Edited on 10/08/2012 at 5:29:16 AM PST

Kyasarin
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

[Post New]by Kyasarin on Oct 7, 12 11:09 PM
Definitely a great game. It kept me interested and challenged all the way through, the graphics were great, and I loved the concept of the Sisters. Some of the mini-games were quite difficult, but I was able to do them all without skipping. Overall, I thought it was an excellent game.

Cons: The map really wasn't worth much. You couldn't use it to transport, and it only indicated h-o scenes rather than available actions in a location. My main gripe, though, was with the "magnifying glass". It was so indiscriminate that I had a hard time finding available actions when they were smack up against items with descriptions. I would suggest to the makers that there be something to indicate available actions as opposed to useless descriptions, like cogwheels instead of the magnifying glass.

That said, I'm looking forward to the next entry in this series. Cinderella, I presume?

FeyKina
Minnow
Minnow
222 Posts

[Post New]by FeyKina on Oct 10, 12 1:12 AM
The most beautifully rendered characters..the best music, storyline - and those HOs !
Opulent and ornate and simply gorgeous as are all DP games. My favorite game of the game of the summer by far.

Thanks for the excellence and artistry!!!!

[Post New]by olympusrox123 on Oct 29, 12 11:00 PM
AMAZING!!!! The wait was definitely worth the wait. Loved the game and the way they give hints about the next dark parable for us to play. The way everything ties in with the other games is great, like the statue of Snow white's son. Stunning graphics as usual and the storyline still keeps me entertained. I spend most of my game time staring at scenery and marvelling over the detail. I loved the glass castle and was devastated when I couldn't explore it. Now my mum can actually get me to speak about anything other than the three screenshots of the game. Now I talk about Cinderella. ALOT!!!! ; )

jjj13
Squid
Squid
68 Posts

[Post New]by jjj13 on Oct 31, 12 4:01 PM
So boring. One FROG scene after another. Story hard to follow. Lots of running about without a useful map. Glad it's over!

[Post New]by KalyptoRage on Nov 25, 12 3:32 PM
I didn't buy the CE version but I must know about the next game being hinted at the end O.O!! Was it mentioned in the CE version? If so, can I have a spoiler sent my way in a PM?

[Post New]by mlueck1 on Dec 4, 12 4:06 AM
Very good game. Great graphics good story line. The best bonus chapter of any game I've played. The bonus chapter was better than a lot of full games.

Micha1234
Clownfish
Clownfish
910 Posts

[Post New]by Micha1234 on Dec 8, 12 9:23 AM
jjj13 wrote:So boring. One FROG scene after another. Story hard to follow. Lots of running about without a useful map. Glad it's over!

Ditto!!!! This will be the last one of this series/developer I bought. I have good eyes but the eye strain I have is not worth it. Especially towards the end....one FROG after another........................

lookywho
Starfish
Starfish
57 Posts

[Post New]by lookywho on Mar 16, 13 7:27 AM
this was a awesome game very well done enjoyed all of it

banor
Squid
Squid
73 Posts

[Post New]by banor on Mar 26, 13 6:26 AM
Just started and do agree it is a beautiful game. I guess I was put off by two things first - awful lot of shooting of the wolves I guess it felt a little on the violent side maybe that is just me no wolf jails I guess. I also did not like the way the women were dressed - really they are running around in the forest?

Nothing bad enough to keep me from playing and finishing but worth noting.

WolfandMoon
Guppy
Guppy
109 Posts

[Post New]by WolfandMoon on May 19, 13 10:16 AM
I was pleased by this game. It's the first collectors edition I bought in the series. The graphics and story was wonderful. Lots to do and collect. The story continues nicely with the past games. The mini game was cute. I cannot wait for the next installment.

Go to: