NiceZombie
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

Re:Reviews for Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Gold Bug Collector's Edition

[Post New]by NiceZombie on Jan 20, 13 12:30 PM
Well finished yet another E.A.Poe game and I love these stories, but this game felt too easy, not challenging at all; the puzzles were fun and plenty yet I finished some of them before I even knew what I was doing LOL. Though this game seems long, I think it was shorter than some previous games; feels like something was missing.

But I like the animations of the animals, how cute and some of the HO scenes were very interactive, I love those.

Yet, I'll be careful with the next ERS game, to buy or not to buy...

[Post New]by OldFisherman on Jan 20, 13 11:54 PM
I am really enjoyed the game. The story line is unexpected and original.
Very good graphics and sound.
It is highly recommended!

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Jan 21, 13 9:28 AM
this is a GREAT game, just like the ones before it. the music should of changed, but it is the same music from the last game. we give it a 3.5 out of 5 stars.------------------------------doug & lisa

Lord_Lollipop
Guppy
Guppy
130 Posts

[Post New]by Lord_Lollipop on Jan 23, 13 5:22 AM
Don't waste your time with this. Read Poe's story instead. It's way better than this junk.

Westel
Lobster
Lobster
88 Posts

[Post New]by Westel on Jan 23, 13 5:22 PM
Can't even give it a one star, because I have had so many technical issues. Did the whole Dr. Felix thing, screen shots, etc. The technical guys say my video card is up to date and that AVG was interfering with the game. So, I uninstalled AVG and tried it. Locked up my computer. I have deleted the game from my computer and have requested a refund.

I will never buy another game until it's been on the market for some time and I can see what kinds of issues there are. Bitterly disappointed.

LarkBea
Herring
Herring
354 Posts

[Post New]by LarkBea on Jan 25, 13 6:43 AM
I had the exact opposite experience as some others have stated in terms of the length of the game. I don't know why it it's because this game simply didn't challenge me in the same way as others, but my game play time was less than many SE games, including the bonus chapter.

I liked the game and had fun playing, but finishing a CE in record time, without using hints or skipping any of the games, makes me wish I had waited for the SE.

Edited on 01/25/2013 at 6:44:24 AM PST

Mickeycb
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by Mickeycb on Jan 25, 13 7:20 PM
Overall, I did like this game, but it was not my favorite of the series. I don't really know why the dev's made you play HOS twice in the same area, even though one time may have been a list, and the second time was where you had to find one object to get another, and so on. The puzzles were not difficult at all. At first glance, I thought, okay here we go this is going to take some time, and then BOOM, done! Not very difficult, at all. I actually found this particular game to be rather short, and a tad on the um, well, not so exciting theme. Story line was a drag. Although I do admit, I liked the use of the animals in this game. Especially the Newfie. So cute and adorable. I actually liked using the woodpecker to get through a crate, as opposed to getting termites in a jar, or the old crowbar. There does need to be a slight revision in the SG, because when it says to give the boot to the fisherman, they forget to tell you to give him the antidote note first. It should have been a no brainer to me, but when I initially tried to give the boot and it was a no go, I did resort to the SG and it said the same thing. Also, upon entering one of the caves there was a strange morphing situation going on with one of the cabinets, so I'm not sure what that was all about. I did not have any problems mentioned, as far as, grainy pictures, or skipping dialogue, or not being able to use the widescreen. I use a 23" HD monitor and everything fills out nicely. So all in all, it was just an okay game for me, nothing to really get excited about. Finished in less than 2 hours, which is short for a CE. OH, and the nice thing about the CE, are the extra's. I was pleasantly surprised with the calendar for 2013. That was a nice touch.

Tomsde
Guppy
Guppy
132 Posts

[Post New]by Tomsde on Feb 3, 13 7:49 PM
I'm a big ERS fan and I liked this game. The graphics and animations were supurb and it features some original music. Unlike some of the other ERS games, this one is not too grim and I would find it appropriate for teens as well as tweens. I look forward to them doing more EAP stories in the future. One thing I must commend ERS on is that this has a very nice ending that they didn't rush through; some of their more recent titles left me scratching my head wondering what the heck happened. With such immersive game play and complex story lines I think it's important to give the player a satisfactory ending. I enjoyed the fact that the characters were all animated and that they didn't use live actors in this one. My favorite ERS titles have a definite Steampunk look and feel and I'd include this title in that accessment.

Although my favorite game in this series remains The Black Cat, this is a worthy addition. Anyone who enjoyed the other titles should like this one as well.

silverink
Minnow
Minnow
200 Posts

[Post New]by silverink on Mar 3, 13 9:14 PM
This was a solid game, with nice artwork and an ok story. The challenge was moderate. It is always disappointing that this developer does not create their games in widescreen.

Although a fine game, and typical of ERS gameplay, it was not as good as I expected, overall.

Maybe it is because when the Black Cat came out, there were not as many other similar games out there, but I remember really enjoying that one - it was certainly more of a dark tale, with beautiful artwork and a great story. This one, less so, although I suppose the game itself in this one was just as good. It just didn't have the same sense of mystery.

[Post New]by MrsElls on May 2, 13 2:37 AM
I was enjoying the game up to page 19 and I could not go on it just stopped I couldn't put the code in so I could get the key.
I own the Collectors Edition I tried again from the beginning and it was the same.
Fun game up to page 19. Karen.

laurakay76
Guppy
Guppy
195 Posts

[Post New]by laurakay76 on Jun 13, 13 8:13 PM
I played the main game and the bonus chapter in one sitting last night, and I'm honestly surprised by how many people are giving it poor reviews. I really enjoyed myself. I have all of the games in this series, and while I think 'Premature Burial' remains my favorite (so far - haven't played 'Masque of the Red Death' yet), I thought this was very good. I love that they've decided to offer collector's editions of the Dark Tales, and I had a good time playing this. I adored the addition of Arthur the dog; I found myself saying "Who's a clever boy!" every time he sniffed out a hint. I really like the voice acting in these games, Dupin especially, and the graphics are pleasing to the eye. I don't particularly enjoy reading Poe; he's just too dark for me. These games make his work palatable to my overactive imagination.

My only technical trouble came in the form of Dupin's dialogue. For some reason, several of his spoken lines got stuck and he would repeat the first few syllables over and over. It didn't happen with any other character, just Dupin. But I could click past it without disrupting the game play, and as glitches go I found it more amusing than irritating.

yowzasma
Clownfish
Clownfish
547 Posts

[Post New]by yowzasma on Jul 20, 13 10:50 PM
I had put off playing after seeing the problems some fishies had. But I finally played 'The Gold Bug' and enjoyed it enough that little bugs and glitches just got ignored

Most everyone that wrote positive reviews about this little jewel I agree with and I didn't even turn down the music but just a tad . The story was good, graphics and atmosphere fine

Gameplay was sticky at times but playable and I'm happy that I bought and played it

I liked it very much and give it out of 5

Edited on 07/20/2013 at 10:52:47 PM PST

Go to: