Re:Reviews for Azada: Elementa Collector's Edition

[Post New]by 0timelost on Mar 11, 13 10:32 PM
I have to agree with some reviewers. After waiting for so long for Azada to come out, I was disappointed. What made the first game of this series so special for me was that if focused on a simplistic game play, which was puzzle solving. Azada Libro included a lot of interactive elements that made the game lost its original, special element. Now with Elementa--although graphic is great and story line is interesting--I felt the original concept of Azada is now bygone...leaving only an image of what it once was. It is no different than any Hidden object games (something I am trying to avoid buying since there are so many).

Macazzar
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by Macazzar on Mar 12, 13 2:39 PM
Heartbreaking death of the Azada series. Agree with other fishies about what was most irritating and would love to ask the question who is this new Azada aimed at? I don't mind spending money on CE's but this isn't even going on my DD list.
Really sad that something I was soooo looking forward to was so disappointing in the end.

burf90
Flounder
Flounder
2,276 Posts

[Post New]by burf90 on Mar 12, 13 3:15 PM
I agree with the disappointment that others have expressed. The series has been changed so much from the way it started. The first one was brilliant, with a wide variety of puzzles that you don't often encounter in other games. But since then, the series is creeping closer and closer to a standard IHOG. There's nothing wrong with IHOG's - I like those, too. But the feeling is a little like going to the movies expecting to see the next James Bond film, and finding that they filmed it as a comedy. Nothing wrong with it as a movie, but a lot wrong with it as a James Bond movie.

The plot was good, the graphics and sound were good, most of the puzzles were good, but it's lost all the originality that made the series special.

[Post New]by nwyn125 on Mar 16, 13 11:25 AM
I have been a fan of the Azada series since the first one. The second game came out and it was good. It was a little different but I enjoyed the second game. The storyline, graphics, music was amazing. So many years has passed between Azada Ancient Magic and the new one. When I found out that ERS was going to create the 3rd game, I was a little weary after seeing the trailer for it.
My gripe with the company is the fact that, all of the video games share the same graphic formula. All of the graphics are the same including the music. I do own several of their games including the Haunted Halls series which I do enjoy playing. When I played Azada In Libro, I was not expecting to hear music that reminds me of music from Haunted Halls.
I kind of expected the third Azada game to still have most of the elements from the first two games. I was relieved that they didn't add any hidden objects in the game because a majority of their games do contain IHOGS. The only mistake was it was labled as an IHOG instead of adventure. I think the customers who probably complained were the ones who weren't familiar with the series.
I was excited when I heard about the 4th game was looking forward to it. Now, I am aware that hidden object games are the most popular games on this website but, I do feel that other games like the first 2 Azada games, Drawn and the Dream Chronicles were just as popular without containing IHOGs. Flux Family secrets started out as a semi-IHOG which I enjoyed. Then the next game comes out and they add an IHOG to it! I was annoyed by that because not every game needs to be an IHOG to be successful. They should not mess with the formula if it still works. There are times when I don't have the patience to go through an IHOG ust to be able to access other puzzles or tasks. Especially if the graphics are not as clear. When it came to Azada: Elementa, the only good thing was that there weren't too many IHOGS but the graphics on the IHOG pages were horrible.
I brought the collectors edition and played the bonus round. I was kind of disappointed in the ending. I'm guessing there will be a sequel to it. The storyline is okay, it was great to see character Titus but it doesn't feel completely like Azada. I do hope that ERS will go back to the first two games to see why they were successful and popular. In Azada In Libro, they almost had it. It was close and I thought this one will be a step up from the 3rd one but I think they missed its mark.

Leanda1
Clownfish
Clownfish
513 Posts

[Post New]by Leanda1 on Mar 16, 13 11:06 PM
cbtx your's was the first and only review I read AFTER playing a whopping 13 minutes of the game! The original reviews I read while downloading sounded so promising.... Alas that was not the cast the "small screen" is awful. The original AZADA was ALL games, some of which were quite hard which I thoroughly enjoy. I made the mistake of just buying the next AZADA and was somewhat disappointed so decided to look ta the reviews whilst downloading. I was excited to see a decent revue by poutole? because I usually do agree with this player. However - this game is everything the original AZADA was not. Hated it am now on the side of the HATE ERS dev's for not giving full screen. As I have not bought a game in a few months now because I have found nothing worth buying am considering giving up the ghost. There are too many gaming sites to play for free (as is this site as long as you only want to play for an hour at a time) but really BFG - can't you be a BIT more discriminating??? 10 JMHO - 10 Thumbs down

Lean

b00kworm
Clownfish
Clownfish
912 Posts

[Post New]by b00kworm on Mar 17, 13 3:13 AM
I'm just glad I got the game with another CE for 2.99 today ... anyway.

Turning Azada into a HOG series is exactly what I have always feared most. And by giving it to ERS, that was probably no longer avoidable. I have played and enjoyed some ERS games, even lately, but overall, they are too much 'same-same' for me.

I loved the first and second Azada and really enjoy playing and replaying them. The third, despite being by ERS, wasn't that bad, as they proved they could do a game without HOG scenes. It was some sort of adventure light and it was good enough to play. I only got the SE of it and couldn't shake of the feeling the story wasn't complete - something I hate in games. If you make a CE with bonus gameplay, don't make the gameplay necessary to complete the story, please.

Now about this one: the pet is cute, but I wonder if it's really necessary. There has been a trend of cute critters that help you lately (such as in 9 - The Dark Side: Notre Dame or Dreamscapes). But what is cute once or twice, gets more and more boring each time it's used again. Especially as so far I can't tell where it actually fuses with the story.
HOG scenes do not belong into an Azada game. Period. Azada is supposed to be a puzzle series, not a HOG one. ERS has put out enough HOG series so far, why not just make a new one and keep Azada a puzzle/adventure game?
Strangely enough, my computer produces widescreen with this game, even though it's stretched a bit. Graphics are ERS style, which is nice, but not more, not these days. Everything looks a bit washed out to me, but that might be the effect of the widescreen stretching.
No comment on sounds here, as I always play with them off.
Puzzles don't seem too hard to me, but then, I haven't played that far right now. I will probably finish the game later today (I've yet to find a HOG game that keeps me occupied for more than five or six hours overall).

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Mar 17, 13 3:30 AM
Hi everyone...

I have only just had the time to demo this game, and the only thing I can say is that I am loving it.

When the first ERS Azada game came out, people moaned about it not being like the first original ones - well, thank goodness.
Now people still compare this ERS Azada game to the first 2 games.
I didn't like the first one - harsh penalties for clicking on wrong places was just one of the things I didn't care for.
The second game was much more playable for me, and I quite liked it.

However, I loved the first ERS Azada game (third Azada game). It had vibrant colours, great gameplay, and I loved the puzzles.

I have now played the demo of this game, and couldn't be more happy. ERS has even included a MAP, and one that can be used to jump!!

I love the fact that, as a side quest, I have to find critter coins to dress up my critter. Just love it.

As with the first ERS Azada game, I am very happy that this one is also not in the style of the first two. This is a great game, and I will actually buy the CE instead of waiting for the SE.

There are just 2 things that could have been different:

Why ask me each time I want to use the map to jump whether I am sure I want to jump?

And the second thing is: Who at ERS had the bright idea to use a dark red font on a near black background in the HOS list ?? I keep seeing this colour combination on the back of boxes in shops, often on PC game boxes. Mind you, it could have been worse, they could have used a dark blue font on a black background.

Anyway, for me, this is a great, fun, and entertaining game.

DogBiter
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by DogBiter on Mar 17, 13 5:19 PM
I love Azada, but it's very glitchey. They need a fix update. Looks like they put it out fast and will fix the glitches later. Now I have to wait for my computer to cycle through and even restart the game. Other wise I'm enjoying it.
Me

[Post New]by avecsi on Mar 19, 13 1:45 AM
This is a game I won't be buying.

laraly
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by laraly on Mar 20, 13 5:39 AM
Outstanding game! I really enjoyed playing 'til the end included the bonus chapter!
Definetly a 5

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Mar 20, 13 7:59 PM
Wow...that was a long one and I haven't even played the bonus game yet. Ending works without the bonus game but I have a feeling the bonus game may add a bit more to the story.

Animations and graphics are fantastic. Voiceovers OK. Lots and lots of things to do and utilize. Took me a little while to catch on to some things. Lots of fantasy characters that seem to really have nothing to do with the story.

I really enjoyed this game and you do get your money's worth. Only a few things that really annoyed me and they are minor: The constant popping in from the sides of meaningless items that really have nothing to do with the story. Although the transporter map was great...it did stop giving directions once you were out of the scene which made using the fast charging hint button quite a bit. Mini games were creative but I don't have a lot of patience with some games that require a great deal of time to do so I skipped a lot of them. HOS had a lot of items in them, but despite that, they were interactive and quite easy to find.

The journal was useless, never looked at it and not sure why it was even there. I actually did have to use the strategy quide once...the map doesn't always tell you exactly what to find or do so unless you look really close it is easy to miss things and then your are stuck....this was a bit frustrating at times.

All in all, I really enjoyed this game and give it a 4.5 out of 5

Additional comments: Just finished the bonus game...wow, another long one. Yes it does carry on the story to completion, but the main game ends fine. Lots of the same gameplay in this bonus chapter...This is was one the best CE I've played in a long time...definately get your money's worth!

Edited on 03/21/2013 at 8:36:31 AM PST

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Mar 23, 13 6:20 AM
we give this game a 3 stars out of 5 stars, it was a great puzzler from here to there----doug & lisa

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Mar 24, 13 2:15 AM
OMG, HOs!!! Sacrilege or Progress?
BASED ON OH-SO-LABORIOUSLY COMPLETED GAME

Everyone and their sidekick has reviewed this one, but I’m putting in my two cents’ worth anyway.

I would have recognized this as an ERS game within seconds. One look and you know. And three bars of the music as well. I do think I caught one track that didn’t sound like either Azada or ERS. But I would have recognised it as an Azada game in my sleep. Why are these games so darned hard? I love the idea, so I keep buying them, but they are way beyond my abilities!

The story, I think, is this game’s weak spot. While it remains the appealing lost-in-book tale of all the Azada games, it seemed a bit strained in this one, and no feeling whatsoever of being in a book rather than the many alternate worlds faced in other games. I believe a fifth in this series would be hard pressed to sound credible.

If, as the arguments say, this is Azada-for-dummies, because we have HOs now, then pass me the dunce’s hat. I found even the HOs to be some of the hardest I’ve played! I was overwhelmed too, by the sheer volume and creativity of the many puzzles and mini-games. Such colour, variety, imagination! Wow!

In the battle between the pre or post ERS, I weigh strongly in favour of ERS. This is the most beautiful and imaginative endeavour from them yet, and was way better than the earlier Azada in visuals. As a fan, I’m also proud to see ERS finally break out of the mould and introduce features like the interactive jump map and all those unusual extras in the Bonus Content. I’m still trying to work what to do with the Azada in Colour, but the Azada Dwellers volume was an excellent idea!

Now, ERS, to get my unreserved Hero award for most adventurous developer, I just need you to lose the female voice actor you’ve been using shamelessly in every game I can think of. She was never to my liking to begin with, but now I cringe whenever there’s dialogue.

I recommend this game!

To be continued...

Edited on 03/24/2013 at 2:18:36 AM PST

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Mar 24, 13 2:16 AM
Bonus Content Review

I’d forgotten to mention that I managed without using the SG, when lo and behold, started the Bonus Content and immediately needed the SG! However, the bonus content is actually a little easier on the whole, of reasonable length, and holds well together. It flows well from the main game, without being at all necessary to it. In fact, I really enjoyed.
We’ve mentioned all those extras, so I won’t repeat myself. They’re all fun.
And now, for the first time in FOUR Azada games, I can finally say:

I recommend this game!

MacS
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
9 Posts

[Post New]by MacS on Mar 24, 13 7:24 AM
As far as I'm concerned, the absolutely very best game that Big Fish has ever
offered is the original AZADA. I have only tried the second one, but it is no
where near the challenges offered in the very first AZADA. I still play it now and
then--will never get rid of it.

lil_chickadee
Minnow
Minnow
248 Posts

[Post New]by lil_chickadee on Mar 26, 13 2:30 PM
If you hated the first two Azada games and sort of liked the third one, buy this thing now. If you loved the first two Azada games and sort of liked the third one, you'll probably have a headache by the time you've finished the demo. If you finish.

This might be a decent HOG in and of itself, but with the Azada name on it, I had different expectations for what the game would be. I adored the first two games because they were pure puzzle games. They required thought and reasoning skills. They had no hidden object scenes. You went back and forth between the uncle's library and Azada through books. When you solved each book, you ended up back in the library.

Seems like this new developer has taken the Azada name and slapped it on that dog game where you buy stuff to dress up the dog or that princess game where you have the cutesy pet that follows you around (different one for each game, don't want to get bored now, would we?)

I might actually have bought this with a different title. It's not a bad game. It's just that I refuse to contribute monetarily to the use of someone else's popular franchise name to sell yet another formulaic game that smooshes together stuff from other games that seemed popular with the masses instead of forging completely new territory as the first two did.

And I'm 52 and I find the "pet" horribly seventh-grade stuff. The stuff that made me quit playing that wonderfully funny British online pet game several years ago when Viacom bought it and turned all the pets into paper dolls you had to spend real money to get clothes for. Blech!!

Mohlin
Lobster
Lobster
80 Posts

[Post New]by Mohlin on Mar 26, 13 4:11 PM
I wish those of us that do not like the HO-scenes could start a discussion where we could recommend good adventure/puzzle games. It takes forever to read through the reviews to find out if there are no HO.

tj1147
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

[Post New]by tj1147 on Mar 26, 13 6:40 PM
Upon finishing the game - I loved it!

Good story line. The graphics are absolutely top-of-the line and the animations of the animals is very nice. (The H0 scene lists could have been made easier to read, but the interaction is good and objects not too hard to locate.) There were quite a variety of puzzles - some very difficult, some fairly easy for me. I don't know about the music, voices, background sounds as I don't normally play a game with the speakers on. The map was very useful...but the journal - not so much. Hint very good. I didn't like the way the strategy guide is laid out, but really didn't need it except for a time or two and could probably have figured out what to do or where to go if I tried a bit longer. This game has a lot to do! Lots of back-and-forth but the transportable map is good - except the popup that keeps asking "are you sure?" The portals are a nice touch also. The bonus chapter is a long one, and the other "extras" are fun!

I understand the disappointment and/or frustration of those who anticipated a game more like Azada I and II, but I really liked this game. After the last two MCF games, I decided not to "rely" on a game based on reference to a previous title.

Overall, a beautiful game well worth being labeled a Collector's Edition and well worth the cost.

psylocibin
Guppy
Guppy
130 Posts

review based on only part of the trial - some SPOILERS

[Post New]by psylocibin on Apr 3, 13 6:36 AM
apparently BF has a list of words that if you say them, they robotically erase them with stars. I guess that is part of the dumb down process we are experiencing. I liked this review, I only wanted to comment on this star business, because it is showing up in private messages. I do not know if BF is reading our private messages to one another, or if this auto censor thing is just in force everywhere on this site. Anyone have an idea?

A typical ERS, as in very linear. Games are being dumbed down lately. It won't change though, as players still **** them up, complaining at the same time.

EDITED to explain the censor! You know the word where you grab something really quickly? It rhymes with hatch? Well, that is the word I used, a perfectly decent word, used in context.

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Apr 11, 13 4:31 PM
This was a typical ER game with great graphics and decent audio. This being said, the game play was cludgy, a lot of running around, and a lot of useless fluff. I like anthropomorphic animals, but I want them to be helpful, not useless dress-up dolls with useless comments.There was no rhyme or reason for some of the ....
Well you get the idea. This was still better than some of the crap they are passing off as CE's lately. Sad state of affairs.

Go to: