tristin2222
Squid
Squid
67 Posts

Re:THINGS I WISH I HAD KNOWN WHEN I STARTED

[Post New]by tristin2222 on Oct 29, 13 12:29 PM
shagwendy wrote:
Peta52 wrote:I know its not just me, but did the developers not realise we could count?! Never buy more than 5 energy at a time.
7 gems = 5 energy
15 gems = 10 energy
40 gems = 20 energy

So you can either spend 28 gems or 40 gems to get 20 energy! Guess which option I use!

When I have to harvest and replant 50-100 crops I always go with the 10 energy. I don't mind losing a few blue bottles (I have over 7000) to only click 10 times instead of 20. I'm too stingy to use the 20 energy, though

tristin2222
Squid
Squid
67 Posts

[Post New]by tristin2222 on Oct 29, 13 12:30 PM
I use the 10 energy also - too much time for only clicking the 5 energy you only lose 1 blue bottle.

cat52
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,169 Posts

[Post New]by cat52 on Oct 31, 13 7:47 AM
I think it's worth publishing this from another post: mellowfuzz kindly did an experiment and found that the RANDOM quests (those originated for road, rail or sea on the farm) disappear/stop when you reach level 55, but all the un-done CITY (map) quests remain. So if you're looking to maximize the number of quests, start ignoring your map/city quests and only do ones on the farm - and thanks again, mellowfuzz, for confirming this!

nuttynuts
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by nuttynuts on Nov 9, 13 10:29 PM
I am at level 38 now and here are the things I now wish I had known when I started:

- You don't have to spend a penny of your real money if you strategize. I did not use real money even once, and I now have around 200 gold coins. This is after I used the 16 gold/4 hour energy option at least 10 times, bought several of the building upgrades with gold and also bought off some of the quests with gold especially when it cost more gold to plant the things demanded. I also used gold a few times to save the crops when they died out. This is worth it only if you need to save your whole field (I have more than 100 land squares) I also used gold at the School to buy up to all 3-gold diplomas. Doing this also gives you one of the awards, which is good for a boost of experience points.

- The best way to make money is by selling red fish, which you don't need for anything else, and it brings in really good money. I have two ponds and 4 fish in each, I keep fishing and filling the pond constantly. Whenever I am short of money, I sell all my fish, which brings more than enough to cover everything I need and then some. I also sell honey (I have 3 bee hives), and constantly produce it. Until I had the fish pond, I used the 4 hour unlimited energy option and planted fast-growing crops over and over like tomatoes, cucumbers (which you need for pickles anyway) and cabbage (which you need for some pastry later). Harvesting of plants also gives you lots of blue jars and kitchen collection items which you can exchange for gold. So you can end up making more gold than what you spent if you get lucky with the kitchen collection.

- Among the collections you only need two of them: the kitchen collection for gold and the summer collection for energy. The others are good only for experience stars so you can keep exchanging them whenever they fill up, but be sure to hold on to the summer collection and exchange it only when you need energy and don't have any other source.

...more to follow...

Edited on 11/09/2013 at 11:03:02 PM PST

nuttynuts
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by nuttynuts on Nov 9, 13 10:59 PM
.. continued...

- For energy I had my diner working all the time producing chicken soup. Combining this with the blue jars (I also use the 10 energy option) always gave me enough energy for everything. Except for a few times early on when I ran out of blue jars, and couldn't wait for the soup. This is when I used the summer collection.

- *** Among the factories, the one you need most of is the Bakery. I have three of each of the factories, but the Bakery wasn't enough. I am now building my 7th bakery. This is because in the Bakery, most of the products require flour - and lots of it - which you also produce in the Bakery. Whenever your bakeries are free, have them keep producing flour. You can't have enough of it.

- To be able to produce lots of flour, you will need lots of wheat. So whenever my field is empty I plant wheat. I usually do this over night because ripened wheat stays on the field for a day until it dies. When I harvest the wheat (in about 80 squares that I have available for crops), I always end up with more blue jars than I used when planting it.

- For things that grow on trees and bushes, don't wait for demands to come in. I have about 30 squares that are constantly filled up with trees and bushes. I plant 2 of each of these, except for the ones that require gold (but I did plant the walnut tree about6-7 times), and I continually replant them when they die. You can sell the ones that are not used by the products in the factories like gooseberries and stuff, but don't sell apples, billberries, cherries, nuts, bananas, raspberries, currants, grapes and walnuts, you will need these .

- Things that you should never sell: wool, milk, eggs (chicken), wheat, flour, the things I listed above, and also cabbage, potatoes, onions, mushrooms, cucumbers, pineapples, garlic, squash and courgettes.

It might be a good idea to save the map quests for later when you run out of the others, But I think there are fewer map quests than the others anyway. Most of my cities ran out of quests several levels ago (some before the 30s). So I am hoping that the developers will provide a new update that adds several (many many more) quests both from the map and the transportation routes.

Edited on 11/09/2013 at 11:07:55 PM PST

[Post New]by sairabottemuller on Nov 13, 13 11:06 PM
Toffifee wrote:.... that you can cancel quests from the map that cannot be fulfilled at the time being, e.g. the milk quests when you do not yet have a cow

SWEET how do you do that?!

[Post New]by beezeemee on Nov 13, 13 11:35 PM
Thank you to all who posted tips here. It helped a lot. So far I am enjoying the game even without buying anything using real money.

[Post New]by Fishman12345 on Nov 23, 13 4:29 PM
silenita2000 wrote:Today I found out something I should have known when I started and that by accident. As you play leave to main menu but don't leave the game just press continue. Then hit every glowing butterfly. Do that 3-4 times and your farm will be filled with butterflies. Eventually you will not be able to hit them all. I hit especially the ones at the borders cause I get many goodies for my collections.
Also, sometimes but I haven't figured out when you re-enter ALL yours crops are ready no matter how much time is needed for full growth PLUS you have full energy!.
If somebody figures out please share.

If you have 4 or less active quests you can usually get another quest immediately from truck, train or ship by doing the same thing.

Talula44
Guppy
Guppy
181 Posts

[Post New]by Talula44 on Nov 28, 13 3:49 AM
That when you have a quest to buy something, if you click the grocery cart within the quest, it will open up the store and very briefly point to/highlight what you need to buy. (ETA I just tested it, and realized it's not actually brief, it will keep it highlighted until your cursor floats over something else, which usually happens pretty quickly - which is why I never noticed the key item was being highlighted until recently). This is helpful when there is only a picture, and hard to tell which item they want. It would have helped me when I bought the wrong stone path and ended up buying out the quest and wasting gold when I didn't need to.

That it's a good idea to build the snack bar as soon as you can even if you haven't had a quest to do it yet. I'd read that it gives you energy, but I didn't realize how much! You can get 65 in 4 hrs, for example. You can keep the snack bar running as much as possible to keep your energy stores up.

Edited on 11/28/2013 at 9:26:24 AM PST

Cheri_BDG
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by Cheri_BDG on Nov 28, 13 5:51 PM
if you get stuck trying to get Husband, Grandpa, or Grandma, stop accepting quests from anyone besides Jennifer and her Husband. Get the quests you have cleared out, and you'll eventually get Jennifer or Husband to light up with a quest that will get you on the path towards getting the rest of the family together on your farm.

Once everyone is there, accept whatever quests you want!

Cheri_BDG
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by Cheri_BDG on Nov 29, 13 12:39 AM
you don't have to wait for queued up actions to complete before leaving the game! just make sure you have enough silver/energy/ect to complete the actions you have clicked, and you can exit before waiting for them to do the actual work. When you return (if you gave them the normal amount of time to do it) they will have completed what you told them to do before you left the game last time, collecting the stuff dropped and all!

I like to use this to water/hoe/ect large numbers of crops at once...it can take a long time for Jennifer to work her way through the fields sometimes! I just make sure I buy enough energy for her to complete the jobs, and leave the game early, knowing she'll keep busy even if I'm not watching her.

[Post New]by SnickersMom43 on Dec 2, 13 4:04 PM
I have done pretty much what folks have said here but now I am stuck----( : I cannot water things, ) On the barn roof, shows "0" no water, have plenty of other things. How can I get water, have plenty of silver build up, thanks, hope to get an answer!
barb.

mellowfuzz
Clownfish
Clownfish
842 Posts

[Post New]by mellowfuzz on Dec 2, 13 4:51 PM
SnickersMom43 wrote:I have done pretty much what folks have said here but now I am stuck----( : I cannot water things, ) On the barn roof, shows "0" no water, have plenty of other things. How can I get water, have plenty of silver build up, thanks, hope to get an answer!
barb.

Welcome!
There is a pump between the house and the barn. Click on the pump to pump water. It requires energy. The initial pump gives you one bucket of water per click. You will eventually be able to upgrade the pump to give more water with one click.

If you accidentally sold your pump, you can buy a replacement in the shop.

Edited on 12/02/2013 at 4:53:07 PM PST

[Post New]by mamuof5 on Jan 7, 14 6:50 AM
I wish I had known that the quests pay less than it cost to raise/plant the items. You wind up in the red in no time. I will not do quests any more. I cannot afford all the dollars to keep the game up in the black.

[Post New]by bplayz2 on Jan 12, 14 10:59 AM
have a question. I am at level 14. have gotten husband, g'ma and g'pa. i've built the canned food factory and have tried to produce the apple juice boxes.

what am i missing? here is how I produce the juice box: make sure i have the required amount of apples in the barn. click on the factory. click on the juice box. wait for production to finish. and then it doesn't show up anywhere and the task doesn't show any progress...

thanks for any help!

mellowfuzz
Clownfish
Clownfish
842 Posts

[Post New]by mellowfuzz on Jan 12, 14 6:40 PM
bplayz2 wrote:have a question. I am at level 14. have gotten husband, g'ma and g'pa. i've built the canned food factory and have tried to produce the apple juice boxes.

what am i missing? here is how I produce the juice box: make sure i have the required amount of apples in the barn. click on the factory. click on the juice box. wait for production to finish. and then it doesn't show up anywhere and the task doesn't show any progress...

thanks for any help!

The time banner disappears and boxes appear at the side of the factory when production is complete. You need to click on the boxes and either the husband or grandpa will pick them up. The items will then appear in the barn. You can produce multiple items and let the boxes build up to save energy. It only costs one energy to pick up the boxes no matter how many there are.

[Post New]by Stormtress on Jan 21, 14 4:03 AM
I have finished the tomato quest and STILL the husband has not arrived. glitched?
Also I have a quest to build a school house but cannot buy it. grandma and grandpa and husband has not shown up. the railroad is not fixable . the house is not fixable. the only thing I can do is collect eggs, water and feed chickens and plant things. I have bought buildings however it keeps telling me to wait until husband arrives .. and still NO husband. I have done the tomato quest .. and still nothing. this is so frustrating.

Edited on 01/21/2014 at 5:28:47 AM PST

[Post New]by catlover67042 on Jan 29, 14 10:11 PM
You have to complete quests and have a space for another one, but you have to respond to anyone who has a light bulb before you can go to the map (which is the earth icon).

Vlania
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,160 Posts

[Post New]by Vlania on Feb 8, 14 9:22 AM
Howdy, farm coalition
I found out by accident last night that using the transparent eye can help you harvest closely planted plots. I had been moving my bushes in front of trees but still couldn't click on the dirt to harvest. I was clicking a butterfly, unknowingly hit the eye and zoomed back over between the barn and the railroad to try and harvest. Lo and behold, each tree/bush lit individually to let me get to them. This'll save me (maybe others, too) a lot of time and frustration. Thanks to all for your constant help.

Rivakonneva
Guppy
Guppy
116 Posts

[Post New]by Rivakonneva on Feb 13, 14 3:41 PM
mellowfuzz wrote:[You can produce multiple items and let the boxes build up to save energy. It only costs one energy to pick up the boxes no matter how many there are.

That is a wonderful tip! I've used a lot of energy picking up short-term textiles and canned goods. Knowing they can build up is a great time saver. (And frustration-stopper.)

Go to: