faboomama
Guppy
Guppy
164 Posts

Re:Reviews for Mystery Case Files: Fates Carnival Collectors Edition

[Post New]by faboomama on Dec 2, 13 12:53 PM
Yippee! Big Fish finally gave us a decent game. First time in nearly 3 years. I'm so glad I bought the CE because the puzzle locks were even harder than the other Madame Fate games. I LOVE IT!

Played all through yesterday and finished the bonus game this morning. Lots of fun interaction, stuff to collect and Easter Eggs. I loved the Ravenheart tie-in. Almost made me forget the dreadful 13th Skull and Dire Grove games. Almost.

The HOG scenes were clear and stuff wasn't too hidden. The only low point is that there were so few and unlike other MCF games, you don't go back to them often. Only a few scenes seemed to be visited twice. OTOH, at least it wasn't searching for 11 wands or stars.

I do have to say that some of the puzzles were tedious, especially in the bonus level. The reels, cubes and bead puzzles in the bonus level seemed like time-wasters. It wouldn't have been so bad if they at least looked as marvelous as the rest of the game, but oh well.

Otherwise, it was a fun game, revisiting old frenemies.

cwy2009
Guppy
Guppy
188 Posts

MCF = RAVENHEARST OVERDOSE

[Post New]by cwy2009 on Dec 2, 13 1:52 PM
Congratulations to : the new MCF game released this Thanksgiving is definitely no turkey! Fate's Carnival is a definite step-up from last year's...oh... forgot its name.

The more pressing matter to me at the moment is a case of RAVENHEARST OVERDOSE in the MCF series: FIVE out of ten MCF games are about, and/or have references to, the Ravenhearst Manor and its people.

I know the Ravenhearst games made a lot of money for . But I think it's time to put the franchise out to pasture. To keep it going, it would be like bringing Jason back again and again in those Friday the 13th movies. That's what it feels like right now: the people in the Ravenhearst Manor are all dead, but you keep bringing them back. So my message to is this: please consider moving on to a new franchise, preferrably one with living individuals. Why not make another "Drawn" game (you stopped after 2011)? Or another MCF game set in the US like 13th Skull? Most of the MCF games have decidedly European settings and flavors, but you probably want to appeal to worldwide gamers.

Mimisix
Guppy
Guppy
196 Posts

[Post New]by Mimisix on Dec 3, 13 1:32 PM
I downloaded this game immediately @ 3:00 AM my time and played for about 2 hours. My original review was glowing.

Unfortunately after now playing it off and on for the past five days I am totally bored with it. I am currently playing the Bonus Game and I just keep hitting the hint button to get it over with. To my mind it does not live up to MCF standards. I heard it said that all good things must come to an end and I'm afraid this is the end for me for MCF games. I certainly won't buy another one without trying it first.

It saddens me to see how much Big Fish has declined over the last couple of years. But then again..................money talks and we all know the rest.

Ceorl
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
18 Posts

[Post New]by Ceorl on Dec 4, 13 7:23 AM
I think this is a super game. It is jam packed with puzzles and loads of things to do. The puzzles are new and take a bit thinking to solve. The choice of settings for novice to experienced players is well divided. I agree with others who think this is the best game so far. Every HOG is unique but one takes the biscuit.

Thoughts on Mystery Case Files: Fate's Carnival CE

[Post New]by cowartl on Dec 4, 13 7:27 AM
To the developers at Elephant Games:

This is a beautiful, well-thought out game. I really enjoyed the HOS areas, particularly with the mini-puzzles in them. The mini-puzzles in the Notes were also a pleasant bonus. Some of the puzzles to unlock doors were difficult to understand how to start without using a hint. Even after using a hint, I couldn't figure out how I might have been able to work that out on my own. Then a few of the puzzles went from really difficult to start to too easy to solve. I know most other players didn't care for the cat, but I found it suited this particular game's mystical theme. This would have been fantastic as a stand-alone game.

With that said, this isn't classic Mystery Case Files. MCF games were in a league of their own. I'm specifically referring to certain games int he series: Return to Ravenhearst, Dire Grove, and 13th Skull with an honorable mention of Escape from Ravenhearst. I even loved the earlier MCF games: Madame Fate, Ravenhearst, and Huntsville among others. (I like a lot of HOS).

Some other reviewers pointed out some of the features that made MCF games so special. Here, I will list some of those things along with some of my ideas.

1. The game play feels realistic. You're immediately drawn into the story and you feel as though you are in it.

2. The objects you find along the way are realistic as opposed to magical or mystical (i.e. crowbar, hammer, scissors, etc). They make sense in the real world and keep you grounded in the game.

3. The snarky comments and the detective's personality quirks provide the perfect comedy relief to balance the dark themes in the games.

4. Live actors bring the games to life. You want to save the twins in Return to Ravenhearst. You want to find the missing kids in Dire Grove and help them. The characters make the game feel real and provide a sense of urgency. As for 13th Skull, I am originally from Louisiana and found Cooter and his wife hilarious!

5. The puzzles can be crazy hard sometimes, but they're fun and so satisfying to solve. Also, the puzzles are designed to work with each individual game's theme. Ravenhearst puzzles could only be the work of a madman. Dire Grove's runic puzzles tie the game to its Celtic theme.

6. I love the BFG easter eggs you find in these games. In some, if you find Felix the Fish, you get a bonus achievement or unlock clues to what the next great MCF game will be.

(to be continued...)

[Post New]by cowartl on Dec 4, 13 7:32 AM
cowartl wrote:Some other reviewers pointed out some of the features that made MCF games so special. Here, I will list some of those things along with some of my ideas.

1. The game play feels realistic. You're immediately drawn into the story and you feel as though you are in it.

2. The objects you find along the way are realistic as opposed to magical or mystical (i.e. crowbar, hammer, scissors, etc). They make sense in the real world and keep you grounded in the game.

3. The snarky comments and the detective's personality quirks provide the perfect comedy relief to balance the dark themes in the games.

4. Live actors bring the games to life. You want to save the twins in Return to Ravenhearst. You want to find the missing kids in Dire Grove and help them. The characters make the game feel real and provide a sense of urgency. As for 13th Skull, I am originally from Louisiana and found Cooter and his wife hilarious!

5. The puzzles can be crazy hard sometimes, but they're fun and so satisfying to solve. Also, the puzzles are designed to work with each individual game's theme. Ravenhearst puzzles could only be the work of a madman. Dire Grove's runic puzzles tie the game to its Celtic theme.

6. I love the BFG easter eggs you find in these games. In some, if you find Felix the Fish, you get a bonus achievement or unlock clues to what the next great MCF game will be.

(to be continued...)

These are some of the factors of many that had me looking forward to the next MCF game each year. We haven't had a great MCF game in a couple of years now and I can honestly say I deeply and sorely miss them. Return to Ravenhearst was the first MCF game I played and the reason I joined the BFG community. Now, I don't feel inspired to look for other games on BFG as much. In anticipation of the next MCF game, I would download other games as my "practice" runs to gear up for the next Mystery Case Files adventure. It opened me up to whole plethora of great games, but MCF continued to stand out. Though now I'm just not feeling it anymore. While this year's game is much better than the last and is indeed beautifully designed, the game play is exactly what I would consider my "practice" game for the real MCF deal.

If MCF ever does return to its roots, it would mean a great deal to this gaming community as a whole.

edit: corrected a spelling error

Edited on 12/04/2013 at 7:38:50 AM PST

[Post New]by cowartl on Dec 4, 13 7:35 AM
I just want to add that when I first played Dire Grove, I literally felt "cold" playing it as part of feeling part of the game. I shivered when there was a gust of wind in the game. I want to feel part of these games again.

ganonsbane
Catfish
Catfish
1,595 Posts

[Post New]by ganonsbane on Dec 5, 13 4:44 PM
I really enjoyed playing this game. The story kept me interested, the puzzles were fantastic. The only thing I missed was the Random Hidden Object Puzzles. There are 5 Difficulty Modes. I can understand Easy Mode having the same objects as the SG but at some Difficulty Mode, I think they should have become Random. It makes it more interesting & challenging if you want to replay the game.

[Post New]by CathyCatfish on Dec 5, 13 5:45 PM
i'm late getting my review posted, but that's because i have been spending a great deal of time playing this game. this is based on the finished game.

first: i'm SAD that BFG is farming out all its in-house games to other devs. seems this is happening because they are moving in the direction of F2Pay games. if the only platform for MCF from now on is F2Pay, this will be the last game for me. and yes, this IS part of my review because it means that this game was made by elephant games instead of BFG's MCF team. (i will say that i am VERY glad BFG did not hand this game over to ERS like they did with azada! azada elementa SICKENED me.)

i have not been too happy with elephant games recently because their games have been too easy, both in game play and in puzzles, so when i saw that this game was made by elephant, i was skeptical. my favorite games in this franchise are dire grove, 13th skull and return to ravenhurst, with escape from ravenhurst a runner-up.

so, i played the two betas and was happy to see that elephant was at least TRYING to live up to the MCF mystique. the second beta was better than the first, so they did make improvements!

so, while i am sad that MCF is losing its BFG "je ne sais quoi", i am happy that elephant really pulled out all the stops here. IMHO, this is the best game they have made in several years!

this was a nice long game, LOADS of HARD puzzles (compared to what's being offered by just about any developer nowadays)... and the strange thing is, i didn't see *anyone* whining that the puzzles were "too hard"! YAY! perhaps it's just expected that the puzzles in this set of games is supposed to be hard, dunno... but i'm happy!

the music was also good, VOs excellent... graphics, gorgeous. still the elephant style, but i like their style better than many others!

this was one game that i did NOT want to see end! but... i still have the BC to look forward to... because YES, this is one game that i have ponied up for the CE without question! i did miss two morphing cards and one bobble-head (unless i have them to look forward to in the BC, maybe?) so there is definitely replay value here for me.

i have one minor quibble, being a musician myself... in one of the puzzles in the book, there were strings to play... PSSSSTTT.... DEVS.... THICKER strings make LOWER notes and THINNER strings make HIGHER notes, not the reverse, as you did! no musicians among you, i guess!

five stars! thanks!

[Post New]by petersoncwp on Dec 5, 13 9:29 PM
Love the gname just having trouble with the level terminal point with the paint brush and the three tubes of paint. has pictures of a skull a cross and a yen and yan . I dont know what to do to get past it. I am not understanding the hint. Can anybody help me get thru it TY

WilJul
Stingray
Stingray
5,670 Posts

[Post New]by WilJul on Dec 6, 13 1:54 AM
petersoncwp wrote:Love the gname just having trouble with the level terminal point with the paint brush and the three tubes of paint. has pictures of a skull a cross and a yen and yan . I dont know what to do to get past it. I am not understanding the hint. Can anybody help me get thru it TY
Sending you a PM….

education69
Minnow
Minnow
238 Posts

[Post New]by education69 on Dec 6, 13 10:17 AM
Just did some checking "Spirits of Blackpool" is a free to play game that spins off from the Ravenhearst arc. I wonder if its connected in anyway to the Mystery Case Files books by Jordan Gray, which are also set in Blackpool.

[Post New]by Anthropologist on Dec 8, 13 10:54 AM
Charles's voice.....ugh, aweful English accent, ruined this for me.

Calzephyr
Starfish
Starfish
50 Posts

[Post New]by Calzephyr on Dec 9, 13 10:21 PM
I wasn't expecting to finish the game tonight, but I guess I didn't have much of the game left.

I enjoyed it, the super puzzles were fun, but the HOGs just weren't as good as in previous games. The detective snark wasn't as entertaining.

As another reviewer said, this game really was all over the place. Having to go back and forth to collect things is not a great way to extend game play. Yawn, click on all the clocks, really? Three times over? The couple of chapters was mostly randomly matching objects to things that they triggered. After a strong start with the story, it really fell apart.

The atmospherics are really lacking. What I loved about the previous games was that the sound, atmospherics and lighting were top notch. Unique! As the other reviewer, they didn't look like other games. Does Big Fish no longer have an in house team? I noticed there isn't a new Hidden Expedition game lately either.

Although it was great to see the Madame Fate characters again, I couldn't help but feel that the art quality was lacking overall - this game just looked like any typical Russian or Chinese produced game. The bonus content was good though!

MCF = RAVENHEARST OVERDOSE

[Post New]by ScillyGirl5 on Dec 11, 13 7:41 AM
I loved MCF and specifically the Ravenhearst series! This game is a great game,but not quite the MCF style quirky detective story I had hoped for, but still it is a great game with a lot of things to do, and well worth buying.
I still have hope we will get another chapter in the Ravenhearst Saga, but continuing it in the original MCF style.

Overall I must say,I loved this game, it hit all the right boxes for me:
Great graphics and music,very fitting to the story and mood of the game,and it was fun revisiting areas and characters from previous games,and finding out what happened to them (but the story is complete even if you have never heard of Madame Fate before),
I enjoyed it very much,even though it isn't quite the same MCF style we all love.
The puzzles were great,though I did have to use the hint buttons a time or two ~some puzzles have two kinds of hint buttons,one is built into the puzzle itself (ready and available when you need it),plus the standard one at bottom of page (refills over time).This game is MCF Style Puzzlers Heaven!
I loved the little hidden gems you could come across,if you happen to click on the right spot~some really fun things to find there.
I loved Isis the cat,she is the perfect little helper,I loved her wee purr,loved her room,and I yelped when she -spoiler- got trapped in the mirror -spoiler end-.
I loved the maps and that you can teleport to where you want to go.
I loved the interactive Notebook.
I loved the interactive HOs,and the puzzles found within them.
The Bonus Chapter was engaging and not too easy;
the secret room was a super "little" extra,and
the Collectibles,and the achievements,and the little room for Isis,and
it all added up to a game I have very much enjoyed playing,and no doubt will play over many times.
I do very much hope we get something as good as the Ravenhearst Series (esp RTR and Escape from R) again! I love good puzzles,and good ghost stories with a hint of the macabre (without being utterly gory),

and at the very,very end: a hint perhaps? Revisit DG? sounds great!

All in all: Great game, well done !

5/5

Edited on 12/12/2013 at 6:00:57 AM PST

katbear50
Clownfish
Clownfish
551 Posts

[Post New]by katbear50 on Dec 12, 13 4:37 AM
nontechiegrannie wrote:Just finished the demo. It's an OK game but nothing to write home about as the storyline has been played over & over again. Graphics are very busy & sometimes hard to distinguish objects. HOG's are the usual VERY cluttered/messy junkpiles. The music can be loud & annoying but does stop for short periods of time. I found the money/bobblehead collectibles without any problem but only found the 1st card & it was by accident. Fortunately there is a map due to the constant back & forth. Isis the cat was cute but the stuff you could buy her was ridiculous. There is nothing about this game that excites me & makes me want to buy it immediately. I may buy it on a special but for now I will keep looking.

Sorry BF/developers, I DID NOT find this game great or brilliant. Just a mediocre replay of bygone games.

I totally agree!
Bought game sight-unseen because of the Hype about it returning to the Roots of
MCF.....
Was very disappointed

kloanne
Squid
Squid
61 Posts

[Post New]by kloanne on Dec 12, 13 6:17 PM
I for one couldn't be happier with this game! MCF games have been my favorite, followed closely by Mystery Trackers, so to see the marriage between my two favorites was very exciting, and surpassed both! Oh, the puzzle locks! How I've missed those, and what a challenge each was! True to the spirit of the original MCF games, with homages to past installments, with all the good of the "new" developer, and none of the repetition that can be a drag in some of the pachydermal games. I think this might be the best of the series (and I thought nothing would ever match Dire Grove). Not only was the game fun and challenging, it lasted a lloonnnggg time. The bonus game was also much longer than most, and the Secret Room kept the gaming going on for many more hours! I can't wait to play again! But, er, I'd better get going on my Christmas shopping first. I've been kind of neglecting it in favor of Fate's Carnival!

JohnMcE
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by JohnMcE on Dec 13, 13 7:58 AM
To begin with this game showed all the promise of the early Ravenshearst ones, and no-one can complain about the length of it. But, personally I found it a very repetitive game, endlessly going back and forth between the same locations, and in the end I was relieved to reach the end of the game.

But my biggest complain is regarding those "full page" multiple puzzles. I rarely if ever skip games, and only very occasionally resort to the guide, but the resolution of most of them in this game was so obscure, that you couldn't really use logic to solve them. In the end I skipped most of them. The ones in Ravenshearst were all solvable given some thought, but not this time. Not for this reviewer at any rate.

Nevertheless this game is still a monumental improvement on the last MCF game, but then again it could hardly be worse!

katbear50
Clownfish
Clownfish
551 Posts

[Post New]by katbear50 on Dec 13, 13 8:21 PM
JohnMcE wrote:
But my biggest complain is regarding those "full page" multiple puzzles. I rarely if ever skip games, and only very occasionally resort to the guide, but the resolution of most of them in this game was so obscure, that you couldn't really use logic to solve them. In the end I skipped most of them. The ones in Ravenshearst were all solvable given some thought, but not this time. Not for this reviewer at any rate.

very well stated, JohnMcE,

babbydoll1201
Minnow
Minnow
281 Posts

[Post New]by babbydoll1201 on Dec 14, 13 8:56 PM

I don't give 5 stars easily, but this game definitely deserves them. This looks like it will be a fairly long game for a change and worth the price of the CE. I'm trying to cut back on the CE's, but I just have to have this one for my MCF collection. Excellent game, highly recommended. Keep up the good work, Elephant!

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

Go to: