Calling B.S. when I see it

 
chris_2_4
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

Re:Calling B.S. when I see it

[Post New]by chris_2_4 on Jun 14, 14 3:13 PM
Hi All
Just wanted to say I am nearly at L27, not bought coins of gems, simply because I have no money. And if I did, I don't think I would: it would (to me) be rather like cheating. Aside from the frustration of flaws in the game, like when you collect 5 flowers and the coins are stolen by some invisible fiend, or the HOS doesn't give you what you went there for, I enjoy the merry-go-round of HOS, because I make a separate game of it: constantly trying to beat my own time. I once managed to do the well in 29 seconds, but that was a fluke - usually 33-44 seconds per screen (except the mirrors one, which comes on with 5 seconds on the clock!)
This go round has 2 distinct advantages to the enjoyment of the game - 1) I can stockpile items for when they are needed (unfortunately, the HOS often give the most useless ones, and things like the liquid for the carnivorous Lilly come out only occasionally) and 2) I then have some goodies in my bag to help my friends, which fills me with good cheer.
So, if you want the challenge, enjoy beating things with just the sweat of your brow and can make a game of repetitive actions, you can get up the levels effectively

Keep on keeping on, gamers!

 
W123
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

Re:Calling B.S. when I see it

[Post New]by W123 on Jun 14, 14 6:43 PM
I too have reached level 27 without spending money on this game. I have, however, spent many hours which I could have used in a more productive manner. This game, unfortunately, is addictive so here I am waiting for the timer to wind down so I can finish the next daily quest. I'm just glad there are so many other people who have not spent $$ on this game. It's a fun game that doesn't hurt any and keeps my brain going in circles.

 
taylormade66
Guppy
Guppy
140 Posts

Re:Calling B.S. when I see it

[Post New]by taylormade66 on Jun 14, 14 8:11 PM
So maybe I'm older and not as wise as some of you whipper-snappers. Everybody is touting how they didn't spend any money. Good for you and patience is a virtue and yada-yada-yada.

For me, i figure I'm spending at least ten bucks a week buying hidden object games I may or may not like. Why not spend some of that on one that I've really enjoyed? It's the people spending a couple bucks here and there that make it possible for you to play so called "free" games. These game developers aren't sitting around working for charity.

So please don't make fun of people who open their moth-eaten wallets. They're the ones who enable ALL of us to have days or weeks of free fun. Well, except it's not fun when the game screeches and freezes,,, and I don't get my coins for the flowers... and there's no list of objects to find... and I can't complete another achievment...and....

 

Re:Calling B.S. when I see it

[Post New]by Arizona63Tucson on Jun 14, 14 10:21 PM
[quote=taylormade66}

So please don't make fun of people who open their moth-eaten wallets. They're the ones who enable ALL of us to have days or weeks of free fun. Well, except it's not fun when the game screeches and freezes,,, and I don't get my coins for the flowers... and there's no list of objects to find... and I can't complete another achievment...and....


There is no right or wrong way to play this game you are suppose to play to suit yourself and have fun , but , as you stated ( above ) loss of coins from flower collecting most all of have and now for me that loss has gone from flower/coin to HOS AND QUESTS .TOTAL LOSS TO DATE 2200 and that en-clued flower/coin and this is the reason I refuse to buy coins and or diamonds . Why should I want to buy them when BFG has known about my problem for 2 months now 3 posts on PC TECH ISSUE thread and 2 CS tickets with a Dr. FELIX AND STILL NO FIX OR RETURNED COINS . This does not make for a happy camper , so , no , as much as I love playing this game I will never spend a penny on it .

 

Re:Calling B.S. when I see it

[Post New]by Duncan_14all on Jun 15, 14 2:33 PM
taylormade66,

Yesterday I befriended two new Friends, both at level 8. If they read these posts, they know that they can buy diamonds and reach level 27 within two days. I don't think that's the purpose of this game. It took me 5 and a half month to get sofar without "help". But everybody playing this game can make they're own decision. I decided not not buy.

Duncan

Edited on 06/15/2014 at 2:35:31 PM PST


 
Hildeguard
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

Re:Calling B.S. when I see it

[Post New]by Hildeguard on Jun 17, 14 4:04 PM
Hi, may I make a suggestion please.

Instead of being on the defensive about the topic maybe some can explain a little how you did it so we might be able to do it also.

I have spent for diamonds but not coins. I am stuck on level 19 right now and trying to build up some coins. Everytime I think I can get ahead I have to spend thousands of coins to craft something to finish a quest. It has brought my coinage back below 100 so many times I am at my wits end.

Helpful advice would be a great help. I will not by coins and do the HOS's till my eyes go buggy.

Thanks for all the support and it is good to know it CAN be done, I just wish I knew how.

 

Re:Calling B.S. when I see it

[Post New]by whitebutterfly54 on Jun 17, 14 4:17 PM
Hildeguard, the original post has been deleted from this thread and its contents were the reason for some of the defensiveness you are reading about.

If you want to play without buying diamonds or coins, there is no easy way. You have to do the HO scenes over and over and over and over again. And pick up every flower. Yes, it does get tedious..yes, you may feel like pulling your hair out after the millionth time, but it really is the only way. Send your pets out when you can too. You don't say what level you're on, but the best thing to do is accumulate tons of coins before going any further.

Remember, this isn't a typical HO game where the goal is to reach the end. The whole point of this game is the journey along the way. Don't get stressed, take a break when you need to and then come back and make the rounds again.

We've all been there and we will be here to help.

 
TiramaSue
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,953 Posts

Re:Calling B.S. when I see it

[Post New]by TiramaSue on Jun 17, 14 4:35 PM

taylormade66 - my days of young whipper-snapperhood are long behind me, alas.

I can only speak for myself, but I do not look down on people who spend money while playing this game. They make it possible for others to play even if they can't afford to buy anything. The original post was very insulting, IMO, and insinuated that anybody who claimed they didn't buy diamonds was a liar.

Hildeguard - as whitebutterfly54 has already said, you have to play the hidden object scenes. You'll play them until you know the lists of objects by heart. Your coin total will ebb and flow.

You can make your coins go farther by coordinating your crafting with the Daily Quests. You can find a list of all the daily quests in the Midnight Castle strategy guide (you can find a link to it in the stickied post Helpful Links for Midnight Castle). By checking out what the entire quest requires, you can plan to play dice, spin the fortune wheel, feed your pets, and craft at the optimum time.

Those Daily Quests pay you extra coins and give out extra objects for your inventory in addition to those received from doing the HO scene. At times it pays to hold back from doing your regular quest. For example, if you have a regular quest to open the Winter Idol, and you receive the DQ that has opening the Winter Idol as one of the things needed to do in the second part, hold back until you can open the WI once but get credit twice for it.

 
Hildeguard
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

Re:Calling B.S. when I see it

[Post New]by Hildeguard on Jun 17, 14 6:08 PM
everyone is so helpful to me, thank you so very much.

I did use diamonds to get ahead a couple of levels and now I am paying the price for it. I was not ready for level 19 which is where I am right now. I have about 15000 coins and the dragon challenge that is left will put me almost to level 20.

I have never played a Ho game before. This is my first one. I love it and play most of the day and half the night. HOS over and over, you bettcha. I have discovered in my travels of this game, it is not the winning the game it is the playing of the game. If that makes any sence.

This game can be a great teacher in patience. Daddy used to say, all good things come to those who wait. This game proves it in spades.

Thanks again to all my friends on this game, happy gameing and now back to the hos scenes.

 

Re:Calling B.S. when I see it

[Post New]by buttons369 on Jun 17, 14 6:26 PM
I have reached level 25 without spending any money on a ftp game. I rely on help from friends, one heck of a lot of patience and perserverence.

It definitely can be done without spending money - as mentioned earlier, this is a game to play over a very long period of time and to enjoy conversations with friends along the way.

 
chris_2_4
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

Re:Calling B.S. when I see it

[Post New]by chris_2_4 on Jun 18, 14 6:30 AM
Hildeguard wrote:Hi, may I make a suggestion please.

Instead of being on the defensive about the topic maybe some can explain a little how you did it so we might be able to do it also.

I have spent for diamonds but not coins. I am stuck on level 19 right now and trying to build up some coins. Everytime I think I can get ahead I have to spend thousands of coins to craft something to finish a quest. It has brought my coinage back below 100 so many times I am at my wits end.

Helpful advice would be a great help. I will not by coins and do the HOS's till my eyes go buggy.

Thanks for all the support and it is good to know it CAN be done, I just wish I knew how.


Hi Hil
My method is to walk through all the screens once, picking the flowers (Oh! I am such a barbarian!) - you find 3 in each, and they take a couple of minutes to regenerate, so once you have been through all the screens the first one is refreshed. When I am not questing (as now) I go through once, then go through again, doing one HOS from each scene, and biding my time - checking level and achievement requirements, friends wishes blah blah - and collecting the flowers again. Then back to the start (FYI - I navigate back to Tooky's bar using the "craft" window. At the moment I go to "bemusing potion" and select the ... middle picture which is something you get from the drunken skeleton, that takes me back and I can just start from there again) Then I go through again, picking flowers, getting annoyed by coins not dropping, doing the second HOS in each. Unless there is a mini quest to do, like "go to the tower x3" so I do those first. If you rush you can do all the screens in half an hour. If you take your time, maybe pause the game to look here (as I am doing now) etc, then you can make it last near an hour, so the first HOS you did will be ready when you have finished the last

You are right about the craftings - it drives me crazy that our characters are so dumb: spend 4000 gold coins to craft something, with items you have struggled to find, only to be rewarded with 340 or whatever piddling amount of gold coins. Our characters are REALLY bad business people!

Right now I estimate I am half way through level 27, but as I have noted from the comments, the next series of adventures is not ready yet, so while the golden creature wants me to spend near 6000 coins on crafting, I am not doing that right now. Just ambling around, stockpiling goodies and coins until I feel ready

 
guppies56
Clownfish
Clownfish
798 Posts

Re:Calling B.S. when I see it

[Post New]by guppies56 on Jun 18, 14 7:04 AM
taylormade66 wrote:So maybe I'm older and not as wise as some of you whipper-snappers. Everybody is touting how they didn't spend any money. Good for you and patience is a virtue and yada-yada-yada.

For me, i figure I'm spending at least ten bucks a week buying hidden object games I may or may not like. Why not spend some of that on one that I've really enjoyed? It's the people spending a couple bucks here and there that make it possible for you to play so called "free" games. These game developers aren't sitting around working for charity.

So please don't make fun of people who open their moth-eaten wallets. They're the ones who enable ALL of us to have days or weeks of free fun. Well, except it's not fun when the game screeches and freezes,,, and I don't get my coins for the flowers... and there's no list of objects to find... and I can't complete another achievment...and....


Hi taylormade66]

I loved your post it brought a chuckle on, and I must say my whipper- snapper days are becoming a distant memory.
I did buy two sets of diamonds (pre-Bow Figurine) that darned Bow made me resolute not to spend another penny.
My problem was time, I just didn't have enough time to play as I would have liked and I also had no idea as to how to find friends, I went to level 18 with "Just John" who I believed (at the time) to be real and thought him awfully rude as I was gifting him daily and his wish list was becoming ever more extravagant and yet he never as much as sent me back a torch, now I know why.
You're a star

 

Re:Calling B.S. when I see it

[Post New]by tigress1_2u on Jun 18, 14 10:42 AM
guppies56 wrote:
taylormade66 wrote:So maybe I'm older and not as wise as some of you whipper-snappers. Everybody is touting how they didn't spend any money. Good for you and patience is a virtue and yada-yada-yada.

For me, i figure I'm spending at least ten bucks a week buying hidden object games I may or may not like. Why not spend some of that on one that I've really enjoyed? It's the people spending a couple bucks here and there that make it possible for you to play so called "free" games. These game developers aren't sitting around working for charity.

So please don't make fun of people who open their moth-eaten wallets. They're the ones who enable ALL of us to have days or weeks of free fun. Well, except it's not fun when the game screeches and freezes,,, and I don't get my coins for the flowers... and there's no list of objects to find... and I can't complete another achievment...and....


Hi taylormade66]

I loved your post it brought a chuckle on, and I must say my whipper- snapper days are becoming a distant memory.
I did buy two sets of diamonds (pre-Bow Figurine) that darned Bow made me resolute not to spend another penny.
My problem was time, I just didn't have enough time to play as I would have liked and I also had no idea as to how to find friends, I went to level 18 with "Just John" who I believed (at the time) to be real and thought him awfully rude as I was gifting him daily and his wish list was becoming ever more extravagant and yet he never as much as sent me back a torch, now I know why.
You're a star




Priceless guppies56 Priceless Just John
Thanks for the laugh I really needed it!

 

Re:Calling B.S. when I see it

[Post New]by whitebutterfly54 on Jun 18, 14 11:03 AM
I really hated to see this thread pushed to the top again, but since it was, here goes.

I wish everyone would stop picking sides in the "purchase/no purchase" war. Does it really make any difference? I personally don't care if someone buys a bucketful of coins, a wheelbarrow full of diamonds, or buys nothing. This is a great, addictive game that has given ALL of us countless hours of enjoyment (and a little angst). I love the game and I love the forum. The support, help, encouragement and friendliness cannot be matched anywhere else.

Let's celebrate that.

 
xshoshin
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
415 Posts

Re:Calling B.S. when I see it

[Post New]by xshoshin on Jun 18, 14 11:35 AM
I've made it halfway through level 25 without breaking down but I'm completely stuck on, of all things, a unique stamp! Mine were used up crafting things apparently and I may have to go buy a sackful of diamonds to buy one. I am one who likes to play as far as I can without purchasing, but I do not mind buying when necessary (I would be embarrassed to tell you how much I've "supported" Dark Manor!!!).

I have put unique stamps on my wish list and one kind friend has sent me one. Is there any way to get these other than the kindness of neighbors? If not, then I will buy diamonds.

 
guppies56
Clownfish
Clownfish
798 Posts

Re:Calling B.S. when I see it

[Post New]by guppies56 on Jun 18, 14 12:08 PM
xshoshin wrote:I've made it halfway through level 25 without breaking down but I'm completely stuck on, of all things, a unique stamp! Mine were used up crafting things apparently and I may have to go buy a sackful of diamonds to buy one. I am one who likes to play as far as I can without purchasing, but I do not mind buying when necessary (I would be embarrassed to tell you how much I've "supported" Dark Manor!!!).

I have put unique stamps on my wish list and one kind friend has sent me one. Is there any way to get these other than the kindness of neighbors? If not, then I will buy diamonds.


Hi xshoshin,

I have one gift left and can send you a unique stamp, my player name and number is:
Airam 167971, however only being able to send one unique stamp per gift isn't going to get you terribly far, what is it you need to craft? If I can help with the crafted item i'll gladly do so

 
xshoshin
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
415 Posts

Re:Calling B.S. when I see it

[Post New]by xshoshin on Jun 18, 14 12:22 PM
guppies56 wrote:
Hi xshoshin,

I have one gift left and can send you a unique stamp, my player name and number is:
Airam 167971, however only being able to send one unique stamp per gift isn't going to get you terribly far, what is it you need to craft? If I can help with the crafted item i'll gladly do so


What a very kind offer! Unfortunately, I am an " i " person and the powers that be do not allow us to play with the PC people!!!

Edited on 06/18/2014 at 12:23:07 PM PST


 
guppies56
Clownfish
Clownfish
798 Posts

Re:Calling B.S. when I see it

[Post New]by guppies56 on Jun 18, 14 12:32 PM
xshoshin wrote:
guppies56 wrote:
Hi xshoshin,

I have one gift left and can send you a unique stamp, my player name and number is:
Airam 167971, however only being able to send one unique stamp per gift isn't going to get you terribly far, what is it you need to craft? If I can help with the crafted item i'll gladly do so


What a very kind offer! Unfortunately, I am an " i " person and the powers that be do not allow us to play with the PC people!!!


Sorry I can't help xshoshin,

I'm sure there will will be somebody on "i" to give you some help so i'd hold back on buying the diamonds unless of course you were going to purchase them any way

 

Re:Calling B.S. when I see it

[Post New]by tigress1_2u on Jun 18, 14 12:50 PM
xshoshin wrote:I've made it halfway through level 25 without breaking down but I'm completely stuck on, of all things, a unique stamp! Mine were used up crafting things apparently and I may have to go buy a sackful of diamonds to buy one. I am one who likes to play as far as I can without purchasing, but I do not mind buying when necessary (I would be embarrassed to tell you how much I've "supported" Dark Manor!!!).

I have put unique stamps on my wish list and one kind friend has sent me one. Is there any way to get these other than the kindness of neighbors? If not, then I will buy diamonds.



I do believe that someone has posted a thread about Brown stamps you might what to have a look in there and add a request for some.Just a thought and it wouldn't hurt to try.( Let them know that you are an i player)

 

Re:Calling B.S. when I see it

[Post New]by buttons369 on Jun 18, 14 5:02 PM
Whitebutterfly54

you do have an excellent point - whether you buy or not buy - we should all be enjoying the game regardless

If you have the money to buy great!
If you don't have the money to buy and you do the game that way great!

Thank you


Edited on 06/18/2014 at 5:04:49 PM PST


 
 
 
 
Go to: