snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

Re:Labyrinths of the World: Shattered Soul Collector's Edition

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Sep 8, 14 2:22 AM
While I do agree with some of that list, I don't care for someone assuming they can speak for the thousands of players here that haven't voiced an opinion.

[Post New]by AverageSizeFish on Sep 8, 14 6:36 AM
cbtx wrote:And I really wonder what's behind the diminishing number of HOS in the newer games ---- when did that start? What caused that trend?
I've wondered this too. I think it may be because developers are trying to make a single game, a HOPA, that pleases both the people who like the older style HOPs and the people who like the older style Adventure games. Fans of one type aren't necessarily fans of the other and so, it seems, maybe both types are getting watered down to make them appeal to one and all.

Adventure game lovers are stuck with "too many HOS" and HOP game lovers are stuck with "not enough HOS" as developers struggle to find the perfect point of compromise that will allow them to sell a single game to people on both sides of that question. This may be behind the lack of challenge so frequently seen in all components of some newer games as well.

Of course, this is just a guess.

Tiger2010
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,624 Posts

[Post New]by Tiger2010 on Sep 8, 14 6:38 AM
Ok, this may sound harsh, but I have one remedy for all of this non-sensical carp being posted by a couple of people.

May I suggest some respect on the part of some who seem to think lately that this is their forum for making fun of others, denigrating people's gaming choices (I won't go into all of the rest of it - we've all seen it).

Opinions and reviews and comments are all very welcome, whichever way they go - positive, negative or down the middle. What is NOT acceptable is the continued mocking of players by insinuating they are quasi imbeciles, babies or all else (whichever way they may then back-pedel to remedy their remarks). And before those who are guilty of that come out to say "Who said that? I never did". Yes, YOU did and then you back-pedal like crazy, but you'll do it again and again.

There's a word for certain people on the Internet and I'm sorry if you don't like it - it's called trolling.

Let me spell a few things out for those who like to be nasty around here:

1. When we had Chit Chat Corner (a lot of the newbies don't know anything about) there were threads about Depression, Grief, Despair, Loneliness - those gamers still exist (myself included) so don't mock us for seeking refuge in games - to my knowledge no-one has ever mocked you from that group. We have grieved over those who have passed and we continue to grieve for our families. We only seek refuge in games, no matter what genre or colour or helper. Everything helps if only a little.

2. A lot of good people seem to have disappeared because of a few who continually like to put down people (see 1 above).

3. I am sick and tired of having a few making us out to be some kind of imbeciles. I've been told what to post, where and when and how. I lost all of my family aged 40. I'm now 45 and it doesn't get easier (plus I'll doubt if I myself will see 50). So what the bleeding heck if I like a helper? I'm not an idiot or a child. I'm a lawyer working from home these days. I embrace things as they come. The point is - a lot of gamers are caretakers, very ill or lonely and isolated for whom games might be the only release. I wish those ignorant posters had been around when Chit Chat was still about, because then they'd probably learn some humanity.

Learn to TOLERATE. As I said, reviews and comments of all manner are fine (game to game basis, et al). People will turn against you when it becomes personal. You want to be seen like that? Fine. It spells TROLL in my book.

CiChDa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,972 Posts

[Post New]by CiChDa on Sep 8, 14 6:46 AM
It is ALWAYS great to hear from you Tiger2010...you helped me a lot as a newbie' to BF...I miss the communication we all' had back then, but I did understand the reason for BF to make the changes.

Anyway..sheesh, I was getting nostalgic, huh?

I just want to add to this, maybe they should start adding to the game descriptions, it is either HO filled or more Adventure. i,e HO lovers delight, adventure lovers thrill"

Just a thought as I do not like buying a game that is just an HO game...I come in to play an adventure

By the way, game wouldn't play for me..request in to CS...was it more HO or adventure?

Edited on 09/08/2014 at 6:49:28 AM PST

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Sep 8, 14 8:11 AM
Tiger

kdubs
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,480 Posts

[Post New]by kdubs on Sep 8, 14 9:27 AM
Tiger, what an awesome post! You wrote your truths, but as I read them, I recognized them as being very similar to my own.

You may work from home now, but when you write like this and share your generous spirit with others here on BigFish, you have done something wonderful.

Blessings upon you!

tammytheo
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by tammytheo on Sep 8, 14 9:34 AM
I'm in total agreement with mhatfie and kdubs. Well said, Tiger! Well said!

ETA: I really hope we are going to see JTF in these forums again. The same goes for Nilosh too.

Edited on 09/08/2014 at 9:37:20 AM PST

MusicNat
Guppy
Guppy
100 Posts

[Post New]by MusicNat on Sep 9, 14 1:58 AM
Dudesmum,
you really cracked me up with your post. I nearly splashed my water over my screen lol.

Edited on 09/19/2014 at 10:30:29 AM PST

tammytheo
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by tammytheo on Sep 9, 14 4:43 AM
... cbtx, didn't offer a review for this game. At least not in this thread. He didn't even demo the game. He only expressed his personal opinion on certain aspects of this and similar games. I think there's a post here where he says so himself.

ET correct typo.

Edited on 09/09/2014 at 10:32:27 AM PST

tookat
Flounder
Flounder
2,099 Posts

[Post New]by tookat on Sep 9, 14 9:40 AM
Tiger...
good on you for being both honest and courageous when the self appointed arbiters of forum rights and wrongs are liable to show up and twist your comments or to back pedal on their own.

Tauret....
loved your post as well, but won't take the time to quote the entire thing.

What gets me, is that we have this whole huge thread devoted to people who don't like one type of game because one of them made what really are rude remarks,

I know too many people who do not post in the forums much anymore, and I am often finding myself skipping reading the reviews and the personal opinions because some people feel that their right to make "constructive criticism" of a game often turns into a belittling of the devs or of people who enjoy certain aspects of their games.
I taught in art school for 25 years. It is possible to make criticism impersonal and helpful and to not add rude "truthfulness".....and people do have the right to express their dislike of a game, but I see their intelligence used almost in a way to see who can make the most clever put downs without getting admonished by the mods.

Yes, I KNOW.....you really aren't having a cleverness competition, but some days it seems like it.
We also don't need people making nasty comments about the reviewers who they don't like. There is always room for respectfulness in spite of whether one likes a person or not....and it is clearly in the forum rules and guidelines....report the posts you do not like instead of calling each other nasty names and trying to justify your actions....
and, I think those of you, who do these things on BOTH sides can recognize yourselves.

If we cannot learn to behave better, than Big Fish is going to have ample reason to close the forums down entirely and then there will be neither fun or help or reviews except for those on the game page.....most of us here are adults, we have had or still have jobs, which means we have learned how to behave in public. Well lets see if we can act like responsible adults who agree to disagree on certain topics.

Oh, and while I am on MY soap box....the place for complaints is Customer Service, not the forums.
If you bought something at a store you did not like, you would take it directly back to the stores complaint department and ask for a refund.

What you don't like about a game or a dev will more likely be reported to the devs from CS than hoping someone from the Devs will read all the threads relevant to their games.

Edited on 09/09/2014 at 9:54:46 AM PST

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Sep 9, 14 3:47 PM
tammytheo wrote: ... cbtx, didn't offer a review for this game. At least not in this thread. He didn't even demo the game. He only expressed his personal opinion on certain aspects of this and similar games. I think there's a post here where he says so himself.

ET correct typo.

*snicker*

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Sep 9, 14 6:54 PM

I have a question. Why is it that when someone criticizes a GAME - or some element of a game - it is sometimes interpreted as criticizing a PERSON?

I'll admit, I don't get it. Why do people personalize criticism of a game?

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Sep 9, 14 7:00 PM
Tiger said it best:

Opinions and reviews and comments are all very welcome, whichever way they go - positive, negative or down the middle. What is NOT acceptable is the continued mocking of players by insinuating they are quasi imbeciles, babies or all else (whichever way they may then back-pedel to remedy their remarks). And before those who are guilty of that come out to say "Who said that? I never did". Yes, YOU did and then you back-pedal like crazy, but you'll do it again and again.

firehorsecos
Guppy
Guppy
184 Posts

[Post New]by firehorsecos on Sep 10, 14 12:32 AM
catbag8717 wrote:
Badut wrote:

(And I have never EVER met a mouse or a squirrel collecting keys - OR being willing to exchange them for biscuits )

My friend, you would be very surprised at how often that appears in games! I played one today,the new Dana Knightstone, and I had to trade a squirrel 8 acorns for the box I wanted. What a rip-off!

I get REALLY tired of the absolutely ridiculous things we have to do too. In a game I was playing the other day, I had to light a blow torch. There was a roaring fire in a wood burning stove - and the door was even standing wide open - but NOOOO, I had to look all over ****** half acre for a pack of matches to light the blasted thing. And WHY on earth would I throw away a pocket knife after I've cut ONE thing with it? Or throw away a crow bar, etc. etc.? It is just incredibly irritating. If I were half as stupid as the characters in these games, I would be too stupid to live.

Firehorse

Tiger2010
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,624 Posts

[Post New]by Tiger2010 on Sep 10, 14 12:40 AM
So, let me get this straight here, because I guess I must be really dumb...

When you say (for example) that a game is so simple your dog could do it, you are not then implying that most of us who enjoyed the game are simpletons?
No, not at all.

When you say a game is only for babies, well... ditto above.

No, of course you are only saying that babies are more intelligent.

The point is (yawn, before I fall asleep here) there is a way to say things and how to go about being a good poster in a forum when no-one knows the person in real life and we can only judge a person by what they write and how it comes across in a media that is, by lack of intonation, body language and everything else, quite a cold medium. This requires some skill that sadly seems to be lacking in a few quarters.

And, of course, we've had more back-pedalling. I was expecting nothing less. Typical bully tactics.

And finally? It never ceases to amaze me that, knowing as we all do here what games to expect from BFG, nonetheless some who seem to continually hate them with such vigour will still stick around. There are lots of other sites out there if you fancy something that is more up to your intellect. No need to continually vent, review upon review, how awful childish, babyish and utter carp things are because when you do that you insult not only us other players but also the developers and BFG.

Thinking of it, perhaps the sooner BFG close down these forums also and leave us just with the product page reviews, the better for everyone.

[Post New]by biscuitsmama on Sep 10, 14 6:08 AM
Tiger, you've got it right!!! There is no doubt that this implication is made over, and over, and over, and over again.

bfgVaiya
Salmon
Salmon
2,557 Posts

[Post New]by bfgVaiya on Sep 10, 14 1:48 PM
Hey Everyone,

I just wanted to pop in with a friendly little reminder of the Forum Rules, specifically:

Treat others with respect. Harassing, attacking, threatening, provoking, calling unwanted attention to, name-calling, insulting, or bothering other users, moderators, or Big Fish employees on the forums will not be tolerated. Play nice.

Please keep in mind everyone has an opinion, and most of the time, these opinions can differ greatly. You're all more than welcome to voice your opinions and discuss them, as long as it remains respectful.

Thank you for understanding, and happy posting!

bfgVaiya

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Sep 10, 14 3:36 PM
My last comment and then I'm done...

I can understand my posts being ignored and ridiculed since I know I'm not terribly well liked by a certain group here but when several well respected and long time members say they find some statements insulting, it might be a good opportunity to review *WHY* they're saying this instead of insisting that isn't how it should be taken. It has been taken that way. There's a reason why they feel insulted and there's a solution to it. Why not consider the possibility that maybe the "reviews" can be presented a little less aggressively? Instead of insisting you're right and they're wrong, how about meeting in the middle?

[Post New]by biscuitsmama on Sep 10, 14 5:04 PM
Tauret, I can only say WOW. You are AWESOME!!!

Thank you,

Edited for spelling

Edited on 09/10/2014 at 5:34:21 PM PST

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Sep 10, 14 5:14 PM
Most of you have read my reviews.

Take a guess how many times I have written a very negative review and then the next 10+ reviews following mine absolutely LOVE the game "on steroids." (Hint: it happens a lot) The opposite has happened too, though less frequently. Did I think I was being bullied or denigrated? Nope, never entered my mind.

I recently wrote a review (which, by the way, was also published by BFG on the main page) where I described the plot as incoherent. But others liked the game a lot. That's OK, I respect their opinions while not agreeing with them..

If I have a question about what someone meant in a post, my practice is to PM them and try to clear it up that way, not in the forums. (In the forums, too many people get drawn in, then start taking sides and finally it becomes a big mess.) In fact I suggested to BFG to add a "Quote to PM" button in the forums for this purpose (we'll see). If that does not resolve it (which, thankfully, for me has not happened yet) then it's best to escalate to the Mod.

Edited on 09/10/2014 at 5:26:41 PM PST

Go to: