Shauntie1
Squid
Squid
71 Posts

Re:REAL CRIMES: THE UNICORN KILLER - a new low in gaming

[Post New]by Shauntie1 on May 1, 09 5:17 PM
I think the whole game was just too dark to find anything in. Anyone else have this problem?

[Post New]by 3rdidmom on May 12, 09 10:46 AM
Even with all of the reading 45min. and finished. Big Dud!

ghost777
Narwhal
Narwhal
33,167 Posts

[Post New]by ghost777 on May 12, 09 12:22 PM

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

[Post New]by Howatch on May 12, 09 8:07 PM
It's interesting that this game is #4 on the top 100, as almost no one on the forums has had anything good to say about it.

Edited on 05/12/2009 at 9:50:05 PM PST

[Post New]by calliope321 on May 17, 09 12:28 AM
I am so glad I used a game credit for this piece of !@#$. I would have had to pay exchange to Canadian dollars for a game that was done 15 minutes after I finished the demo and downloaded the full game. I will be canceling my membership to BFG.This truly IS an all time low, and I think BFG owes us all an apology!!

forensicMD
Clownfish
Clownfish
529 Posts

[Post New]by forensicMD on May 20, 09 7:10 PM
As someone who spent a lifetime in forensics, I believe the use of this crime hits a new low in computer games. SHAME ON BIG FISH FOR PUTTING THIS GAME ON THEIR WEBSITE! Yes, I am shouting as I want them to hear me. I don't think you can sink much lower than this. Nuff said!

[Post New]by bosartbev on May 31, 09 7:19 AM
I wish I could see what this game really entails but my mouse will not work. You all have any ideas?

1_of_5
Marlin
Marlin
8,238 Posts

[Post New]by 1_of_5 on May 31, 09 8:18 AM
Agreed Stonecatnz. I also knew nothing of the crime, happened before I was born. I skipped most of the storyline but still took my time and didn't finish. Still haven't actually. Yes, I purchased it.

Books, stories and movies can be used in many ways. One of which is a warning. That's how this game hits me. As educational to those who don't know the story and a warning about how things that look alright can sometimes not be.

I agree if you don't like it don't buy it. But my father, my husband and countless others have fought and died, and are to this day, so I can have the freedom to choose things for myself. All the company did was make a game. All BFG did was offer it to customers. If you think this was a bad choice of topic for a game then the people you really want to complain to is the makers. Let them know directly how you feel about it.

(just my opinion, not attacking anyone or anything)

[Post New]by bonnieallmine on Jun 1, 09 8:13 PM
I have previously expressed my dismay with Big Fish about this game, based on a murder within recent decades. Family members of the murder victim are still living and I believe it is unconscionable to turn this murder into entertainment a game.

I feel the same way when Holllywood makes a movie or TV story out of recent deaths for entertainment purposes, but a game is really taking it to a new low. This game makes this woman's death "fun". Only the most obtuse and insensitive will play this game if they know it is based on a relatively recent death with family members still living.

[Post New]by briteredlips on Nov 11, 09 9:08 PM
I also played the demo of this game. It is somewhat unsettling because it is a true crime. That being said, so is the Titanic game. We all have a choice of what we play. I want to KEEP my choice also. On its merits alone, this game is not a challenge and all in all on the boring side. The fact that it is a rather short game, keeps me from buying it. I will find a good game, I am sure. But this one is not for me.

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Apr 17, 10 1:59 PM
I'm a little late to the party but I wanted to add... are all you offended people upset when Jack the Ripper gets made into a game? Or how about all the Titanic games available? People died in real life during those events as well. Try to open your minds a little and think of these kind of games as educational.

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Apr 17, 10 2:02 PM
bonnieallmine wrote:I have previously expressed my dismay with Big Fish about this game, based on a murder within recent decades. Family members of the murder victim are still living and I believe it is unconscionable to turn this murder into entertainment a game.

I feel the same way when Holllywood makes a movie or TV story out of recent deaths for entertainment purposes, but a game is really taking it to a new low. This game makes this woman's death "fun". Only the most obtuse and insensitive will play this game if they know it is based on a relatively recent death with family members still living.

Obtuse and insensitive. Wow.

Zobig
Squid
Squid
75 Posts

[Post New]by Zobig on Aug 21, 10 6:46 AM
After reading all the complains and trouble with the game , I decided not to purchase it.
I am so glad we have the forums to refer to . I have been burned so many times.
I am not happy with many of the games that are being offered on Bigfish Games, Little originality from the game developers. Mostly are the same concept.
Thanks again for the forums and the input folks.

Skulduggery
Guppy
Guppy
178 Posts

[Post New]by Skulduggery on Aug 21, 10 11:52 PM
I think the difficult with this game rather than say a game about the titanic (certainly the one I played) was the game about the titanic was a story about a fictional character in that setting.

This game was about a real, named girl who should still be alive right now and isn't.

Whilst I agree to some extent a lot of shows/books on real crime are trying to be entertaining, there is also room for real journalism there.

This is a game about a named murder victim, using real crime details and I personally just cannot play it, it's too disturbing. I guess perhaps it is what you want out of a game - for me HoGs and other light gaming, are there to be entertainment, sometimes a joy. This could never be those things to me, and I would worry if I played it and zoned into my normal gaming state it would start to "feel" it was just like any game, which I think is quite possible and again would make me very unhappy.

For those who argue that we are "nanny-fish" I find this a weak and lazy argument, firstly people have a right to speak up and say something is not okay in their opinion (or that they think it is okay). Secondly do you genuinely believe ANYTHING is okay? If so would you like a game on child murder? Or rape? Would you watch a tv show where they filmed an execution? Almost everyone has a line they draw.

To be honest when people prefix words with "nanny" as a way to deride them, it often means the views/actions dosen't tie in to either their own personal views, or convenience. If you genuinely believe NOTHING should be out-of-bounds then I guess you would think that, though I would not agree with you.

I find it laughable that you argue that it is "disturbing" for people to voice their opinion that they find a type of game unacceptable and don't think it should be made. Would you close down forums and discussions then?

Not wanting to play a game about a woman's murder isn't about me trying to avoid the realities of the world by the way. (In actuality I took the time to look up the facts of what had actually happen.) Perhaps you would like to explain to me how playing the game is "facing" the realities? Rather than just say entertainment based on a terrible crime?

Edited on 08/21/2010 at 11:53:44 PM PST

joannickle
Zebrafish
Zebrafish
45,038 Posts

[Post New]by joannickle on Aug 22, 10 1:47 AM
I must add my name to the list of disappointed people about this game. It is one thing to write a story about a real crime. But to use the real names and remember these people were not public people. Which is when they claim some sort of public domain because they are public already. To say the least I was shocked and thought it must break some kind of law. Apartly there is no such law except there should be one of decency and good manners toward that family that is still living. It would have been all right to give false names so they didn't have it all stirred up again. And they already live with it everyday they didn't need that.

[Post New]by GeekWhit on Sep 23, 10 10:34 PM
stillwren wrote:A true crime story or a tv documentary is very different than a game in my opinion - which is all my post is - my opinion.

I agree. It feels creepy to think of looking for hidden objects in a game scene based on the horrible murder of a woman. I mean, would anyone want to play a game based on Nicole Brown Simpson and Ron Goldman's murders? (Find the bloody glove!)

But then, I have played games based on the Jack the Ripper case before. I'm not sure why that should be much different. Maybe because the Ira Einhorn case didn't happen all that long ago (1977)? I admit my own biases here and find it interesting what constitutes as "distasteful" or not, in different people's views.

[Post New]by pinchy_wayne on Sep 21, 11 7:28 PM
Couldn't agree with you guys more. It's the same reason why I couldn't watch "30 min. or less" in the theaters. Agn, thx to all the players who've given the forewarning--it's really appreciated by other gamers like me!

[Post New]by Blooming_Lilac on Sep 22, 11 1:41 AM
I didn't care for the demo and deleted it within 10 minutes. It wasn't a good game at all and it didn't save my progress. I had exited for a couple of minutes to do something else and went back to it.

I'll admit that I've tried all the Jack the Ripper games on this site. I don't condone murder, but the case has always fascinated me. The killer was never revealed to the public although some people have speculated that the whole thing was a conspiracy and that the authorities knew who he was. I didn't like any of the games enough to buy them.

I read a lot about true crimes and I enjoy crime solving documentaries. Forensic science is very interesting to me.

It's not sick, in my opinion, to want to know about these crimes, but I agree that developers might be better off using fictitious names.

polexia
Herring
Herring
389 Posts

[Post New]by polexia on Sep 25, 11 5:12 PM
A game based on the case would have been better. That "find the bloody glove" comment was spot-on. Some cases have been told countless times (Titanic, Jack the Ripper) and fictionalized in many ways but I do find recent cases using real names etc. very distasteful.

I am a fan of true crime books and Forensic Files shows, which I find educational and informative. I have learned many things about keeping safe, being aware, and what to look for. I just don't feel a GAME is quite the appropriate form for these subjects since gaming implies entertainment. I don't see forensic books and such as entertainment but more as educational or historically interesting.

Could you imagine Devil in the White City made into a game, though? Explore The Castle...probably will be made soon enough as there is a film coming out soon.

Go to: