scotcat
Flounder
Flounder
2,349 Posts

Re:pocahontas princess of powhatan

[Post New]by scotcat on May 1, 09 6:04 PM
it was actually kind of fun again to spend time REALLY looking for the objects.

Normaly, I would very much agree with you on this (I hate easy to find HO like in Mirror Mirror), but when I spend 10-15 minutes + 3 hints trying to find a melon..... Phtfff I am very patient, but this game just didn't have enough good stuff going for it to make up for the frustration. Good thing the music was relaxing me or I would have punched the monitor.

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

[Post New]by Howatch on May 1, 09 8:00 PM
The walkthrough for this game is now up on the Big Fish Games blog, in case anyone is interested. It's of a good length at over 70+ screens, and actually some of the minigames that I never saw look kind of interesting.

I did try the game again for a short while and the music is almost enough to make me buy it in spite of the fuzzy graphics; I have to say that the music is truly outstanding.

[Post New]by armywife2chia on May 1, 09 8:09 PM
Hello!! Was hoping someone could help me out. My mother downloaded the trial version and when she goes to play it she gets an error message. She has tried restarting the computer. Does anyone know who we can email about the problem.

Her problem is listed below. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Trisha

I downloaded this game to try it before buying it. It says this when i try to, unable to start game another game is currently running. Please end that game or restart your computer if the game is not responding. and this in another box, hardware failed to switch to the specified mode. I tried restarting my pc, same thing, then i tried shutting pc down and restarting it, got the same thing. it won't let me uninstall it either. but i notice that the time is running down on the game and i have no idea what the game even looks like. what can i do?

looloo123
Stingray
Stingray
5,004 Posts

[Post New]by looloo123 on May 1, 09 8:12 PM
armywife hit the green ebvelope on the right of the screen
Customer support in handling these issue

good luck

looloo123
Stingray
Stingray
5,004 Posts

[Post New]by looloo123 on May 1, 09 8:14 PM
oh dear
anyone have Dramamine? got seasick on the boat
im sorry but this game stunk worse than an old pair of moccasins

ladycholla
Manatee
Manatee
3,720 Posts

[Post New]by ladycholla on May 1, 09 8:27 PM
Did the hour and I agree, too small items and in too hard to see places. My old eyes won't handle that. With glaucoma and cataracts I need to see clearly.

Sorry but I give this a

Lady

aram1
Seahorse
Seahorse
30 Posts

[Post New]by aram1 on May 2, 09 5:08 AM
The same thing happened to me Trisha and Trisha's mom.Can't get the game to start. I've unistalled and reinstalled and still get the error message.

MargieB
Salmon
Salmon
2,658 Posts

[Post New]by MargieB on May 2, 09 5:52 AM
Hi Everyone,

We were not able to post the video solutions for the maze on the blog walkthrough but if anyone is stuck on the maze and needs help, please feel free to send me a PM and I will share the videos. I have the solutions for all 4 mazes.

Thanks, Margie B

[Post New]by TwintaleMartin on May 2, 09 6:32 AM
This is Martin from Twintale Entertainment.

We have been following the discussions on the difficulty of the game, especially that some of the items were too difficult to find. When developing the game we didn't want it to be too easy either, and this is a fine balance to get just right. We tried hard not to make any of the items too difficult to find, but it seems we failed there anyway with some of the items.

Also, Pocahontas was developed by a very small studio, we're only two people total and an almost $0 budget, so developing a game with the same level of quality as a game like Samantha Swift from one the very big studios is impossible for us. We still hope though, that we have been able to put together a game that the majority of you will enjoy.

We've taken the criticism to heart and will work towards sending Big Fish Games a new version on Monday that should have the major part of the difficult items modified. Some people have also reported being "seasick" by the rocking ship, so we will remove this also from the next version. We don't want you getting sick from the game. Last, some people have complained about the large hint circle. We will make this a bit smaller also. However, although the circle is large, the center of the circle is always focused on the item to find, so you do not need to search the whole circle, only around the center.

If there are any other minor changes you'd like to see in this build, please let us know.

I hope you will bear over with us and will enjoy Pocahontas once these things have been corrected.

Skeets181
Lobster
Lobster
95 Posts

[Post New]by Skeets181 on May 2, 09 6:46 AM
Thank you TwintaileMartin - After reading all the posts I definitely was not going to bother downloading this game, but, after reading your post I will give it a try when the new build is on BF monday.

It is great that you listened to everyone and responded. Looking forward to your new build.

Skeets

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on May 2, 09 7:09 AM
Bless you, Twintalle!!! At least you listen!

I will test for sure the new version, and probably will buy the game this time. I like the story of Pocahotas so much, that I am ready to compromise. Nobody asks you to use the same resolution as Samantha's, only not to blur the existing one, it will be enough.
WooHoo (I am a simmer too, lol), there is a light in the end of the tunnel...

Please, announce us when the new version is posted. Many thanks!!!

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on May 2, 09 7:30 AM
Thank you Martin! It is always greatly appreciated when a Developer visits the Forums. Interest by the Developers has sometimes helped me decide to buy a game. I look forward to trying the new build! I have 38 min. left in the Demo which should be enough time for me to notice the changes and may sway me from to .

BTW, I did read the credits and noticed only two names but i thought that there must have been others involved. I think that for just two people to have produced this game, you did an excellent job!

missy12
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,263 Posts

[Post New]by missy12 on May 2, 09 8:44 AM
i agree miss abby the game is great.i am at the part where she just found out that mr.smith is still alive.finding the objects is not very hard.you can take your time to find them.using hints,i do not have to use them that often try to find them on my own.well talk to you all later.

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on May 4, 09 1:50 PM
looloo123 wrote:oh dear
anyone have Dramamine? got seasick on the boat
im sorry but this game stunk worse than an old pair of moccasins

I agree - this is the worst HO game I've ever played. They try to make up for hiding things in clever places by making them so fuzzy that they are impossible to recognize even with the hints. For example, there was a rooster in one scene. I had to use a hint, something I rarely do, and it turned out to be a slightly orange area on a haystack, not even formed enough to look like a bird. And the hints recharge very, verrrry, slowly.

I'm playing the game on a 23" high-def screen and I still can't tell one out-of-focus blob from another. I tried both video settings in "options" and it didn't make any differenct. It's a shame, because it looks like it took a lot of work and the storyline looked very interesting, but I play games to relax, not to increase my frustration level.

Two thumbs down, and I'm very glad I didn't waste my money on this one.

Julie S.

MsMander
Guppy
Guppy
100 Posts

[Post New]by MsMander on May 4, 09 7:41 PM
kwisoon wrote:BTW the people who created this game do not know their history. Pocahontas never had a romantic relationship with John Smith. She was only 13 at the time of his arrival!

You beat me to it. I noticed that little (major) historical problem as well. I also am a bit frustrated with the objects that are totally in the dark areas with no way to highlight or lighten the area, as in some games.

I already purchased the game, so am stuck with it. The music is the plus that makes it a keeper, but will probably not play it more than once through. Some games begged to be played over and over due to challenges and extras. I like being able to "earn" hints by finding extra hidden clues for that purpose, appreciate hard to find items, but not so totally buried in black/dark brown upper screen areas, and a fairly decent story line or none at all. I hate cheesy story lines that take up half the demo time if you sit through them.

Will anxiously await better qaulity HOG's and hope they improve.

Joyfullady
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,498 Posts

[Post New]by Joyfullady on May 4, 09 8:33 PM
Hats off that two new designers are trying their luck at designing a game and watching the forums to improve the game and content. The story line you have created has great potential, but you need to do some historical background reading before putting a game out there. Children learn a lot from games and historical facts are important. Loose the rocking ship - I got sea sick. I liked the mixture of short puzzles you were trying to create besides the searches. I cannot for the life of me figure out how people got lost in the maze - I thought they were very simplistic, but would have preferred a character walking rather than whatever the thing was you used. Perhaps when your graphic design and characterization skills develop you can do another version. I believe Disney World Studios offers classes you could take advantage of or check out local colleges. I applaud you for at least trying and that for you I'm sure was half the fun. I won't be purchasing this game in its current offering but look forward to a newer version. I don't mind hidden objects, but some of yours were a bit difficult to discern. Since I realized rubies came in different colors that wasn't a challenge - hats off for stumping some people. Putting more historical items in the mix that are of the time period would be good and perhaps creating items such as something in the treasure chest and finding a key from another area would be good. Also having a surprise item which gives an additional hint.

The game needs work on character development and speech. The puppet like characters with balloons are funny. I'd rather hear them speak as well and move - I think this will come with practice and learning more about design. Also, check out Native American dress for the time period and the village time periods, do some investigation in museums and with curators. You can fill a much needed area that could be marketed to schools and parents. It's different to create a game that has historical documentation. Sorry, I work with the History Department of our college - so I'm a bit more critical. And my ancestors actually were on the Mayflower and some 2-3 generations later married Native Americans. I'm sure we'll be hearing from you again. By the way - a niche that needs to be filled are the games that Sierra lost when they were bought out - like King's Quest, Laura Bow, etc. I loved these games and haven't found anything to match them.

dolovb
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by dolovb on Jun 2, 09 12:32 PM
The music is all I found good in this game. Why would BF put something like this on their site. Awful!

Go to: