MsFreddie
Catfish
Catfish
1,519 Posts

Re:WPE - Mystic Diary: Lost Brother

[Post New]by MsFreddie on Jun 13, 09 4:09 PM
H.O + puzzle elements + no timer + nice graphics.... very much my kind of game. I'm really enjoying this one A touch easy but sometimes I just want to enjoy a game like this without having to think too much.

Gentlsong
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,865 Posts

[Post New]by Gentlsong on Jun 13, 09 4:47 PM
I really like this game! Bought it as soon as the demo was over. I have occasionally had the same trouble with the cursor and picking up objects that others are talking about. After playing awhile, I think it might be related to the fact that the cursor sort of jumps when you click on something. It seems to be that if you don't have the cursor placed so that the "jump" hits the object, it won't pick it up. I think that's why it works fine on larger objects but not so well with smaller objects. Is anyone else finding that this might be the case?

Edited on 06/13/2009 at 4:47:51 PM PST

missy12
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,263 Posts

[Post New]by missy12 on Jun 13, 09 4:51 PM
I really loved this game.Very relaxing and nice.Did not have to use any hints hardly
maybe one or two.The only thing i did not like was that it was not long enough.We have not had a good game in a while,so i tried to make it last long.Might go play it
again.

Debbie387
Minnow
Minnow
253 Posts

[Post New]by Debbie387 on Jun 13, 09 4:53 PM
Have to agree with everyone's comments so far, have finished it the first time after skipping a few puzzles that I didn't like in about 2:30 hours.

Will probably play through again.

[Post New]by auntharriet on Jun 13, 09 8:23 PM
lovin this game--only have 9 minutes left of the demo----buying this one.not too hard-not too easy.Makes me happy

amj0963
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,544 Posts

[Post New]by amj0963 on Jun 13, 09 8:36 PM
i started demo last night but had to go to bed to get up for work but am going to be buying love it love it love it my kind of game

sunny64
Guppy
Guppy
108 Posts

[Post New]by sunny64 on Jun 13, 09 10:18 PM
Re the jumpy cursor....which works most of the time but it's hard to pick up very small objects. After I tried the demo, I bought the game, went into options at the start and unchecked the custom game cursor. No problems with the cursor after that.

A fun relaxing game.

phatkhat
Stingray
Stingray
5,001 Posts

[Post New]by phatkhat on Jun 13, 09 10:32 PM
I really enjoyed the demo, and will probably buy it. It's fairly easy, and, I take it, a bit short, but it is fun. I found that on smaller objects if I click on the very lower edge, it takes better than clicking in the middle, if that helps anyone.

mmaiden42
Stingray
Stingray
5,767 Posts

[Post New]by mmaiden42 on Jun 13, 09 10:57 PM
I bought this game and I really enjoyed as much of it that I have played. Nice clean graphics, that in and of itself is a big plus as a lot of the games that were coming out were fuzzy or downright too blurry. I never play in windowed mode which may have made a difference but then it is harder to see the objects because everything is too much smaller. A couple of games I played in demo mode had nice clean background graphics and the actual items to look for were blurry which kind of gave you a hint on where to look. Those are games I did not purchase, I like when everything blends in well, on this game!

hollie96
Herring
Herring
333 Posts

[Post New]by hollie96 on Jun 13, 09 11:41 PM
Wow, very short. My time finishing it was an hour and forty minutes. Liked it overall, good graphics, didn't make my computer have fits as some of the game with lots of graphics and animations do, but I'm kind of wishing I'd saved that game credit for the next Dream Day Wedding game or something else that ends up being longer than this was.

tazmann423
Flounder
Flounder
2,113 Posts

[Post New]by tazmann423 on Jun 14, 09 12:11 AM

TimeKilla
Herring
Herring
399 Posts

[Post New]by TimeKilla on Jun 14, 09 1:58 AM
I really, really want to like this game. It has so much going for it. Gorgeous scenery, little adventure-style puzzles, quirky little twists on the usual mini-games, a fun story without overwhelming dialog and all the little niceties that should make for a better than average HOG.

But I wont be buying it. First off, it's way too short. I got to page 18 of (25) in the hour long demo. That was using no hints, and reading all the in-between pages. But worse than that, it shied away from offering any real challenge.

While it avoids all the pitfalls (no dark corners, no tiny objects) the hidden object gameplay is far too easy. One doesn't even need to look at the list. If there were penalties for multiple clicks or at least a percentage scoring, it might slow things down a bit. As it stands now, one needs only to click on the correct 15 of 30 objects in any given room.

The logic & item puzzles are too simplistic. None of them should stump the experienced player for very long. There are very few items that need to be used and a small number of possible uses.

The mini-games are dolled up with some exceptionally nice artwork and production. But again, a piece of cake. For example, the first mini-game puzzle was dominoes style. A four-side disk with different characters. Normally these are tricky but when a disk was placed correctly, it stuck. So once you had two or three in place, the rest of the game was just filling in the obvious blanks. Had the disks been free to move until the entire puzzle was finished, it would have been much harder. This sort of hand-holding happened every time.

The production values on the game are superb and one can see the hard work that went into creating this game. The art department did a terrific job. The game offers quite a bit a variety during play. It really should be fantastic. But even at BFG prices, I'll pass on this one. If it was at least 4 hours long, I'd buy it as a pretty little distraction but the half hour or so I'd have left would be very dissatisfying.

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on Jun 14, 09 3:04 AM
Timekilla, I agree with some of your points. I bought the game. We have had few HOGs lately and even fewer that are anything other than junk pile type games. It's good to have a variety of minis even if they are fairly simple. There are one or two that are more challenging. I disagree a bit about the graphics. At least one scene early on I found to be a bit fuzzy. Several of the leafy scenes use the semi-transparent device to hide things. I always consider that a cheat. If you need to make items transparent to hide them then you have no imagination.

Sometimes I felt as though they tried a little too hard to make this game innovative. It is enough just to have some puzzles, a few items to assemble and use, etc. There is no need to stretch to try and make the game challenging because it just is not. The funny little pieces to put together and use just don't quite hit the mark for me. They feel more like busy work than a challenge.

Lengthwise, this is long enough for me. I am still playing. I don't know how long I have been playing but i am getting close to the end, I think, and I am bored. I am ready to be finished.

I have enjoyed the game despite the bits I think could be improved. it is pretty to look at and has an interesting story that is not overdone. At this point, I have played so many HOGs and puzzle games that I guess it is going to be hard to really please me. The new "Treasure Seekers" and "Hevelika" are the best games i have played recently. This game is not quite on a par with them though it does try hard to be and it is an OK game. I have had my money's worth with it but will probably not play it again any time soon. I still give it 3 out of 5 stars.

20TN40
Minnow
Minnow
287 Posts

[Post New]by 20TN40 on Jun 14, 09 5:53 AM
First suggestion, to check for updates for your video/graphics card: Go to "My Computer", then "Control Panel", then "Device Manager". Click on "Display Adapters". This will give you the name of your video card and you can Google it to find the manufacturer and check for updates.

Another helpful hint that I have found is that some of the games won't play well on Vista even though they say they will. You can work around this by making the game play in Windows XP mode, even though you don't have Windows XP on your computer. To do that, go to "My Computer" and find where the BF games are installed on your computer. Click on the game to open it's folder. Find the "ABCD.exe" file where ABCD is the name of your game. Right click on the game, and it brings up options. Click on "Properties" and the click on the "Compatability" tab. The top choice should be "Run this game in Windows XP mode". Check that box and apply changes.

Hopefully this can help some of you..........I'm just paying it forward for all the help that I have received!

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on Jun 14, 09 6:44 AM
Thanks 20TN40, those are very good suggestions that may be helpful to some!

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Jun 14, 09 7:02 AM
To save you reading the same thing twice be advised that I will be posting this on the Value for Money thread too.

I think the Developer, Sunray Games, did a REALLY FANTASTIC JOB to offer us such a quality game for the low price of $7. We have been given what we ask for in a game:

An interactive element.
No timer.
Recharging hints.
Variety of Mini Puzzles.
Skip Feature on Mini Puzzle.
Some cleverly hidden objects.

Yes they could have padded the game out a bit more to make it longer but the additional time spent would have probably made the game financially unviable to be sold at the $7 price and put it more in the old $20 price range due to increased development time. Do not forget that these games take nearly a year to produce as it is and all during this time costs are rising. They do not get paid until the game is sold to us and in the meantime they have to eat too. I would rather play a 2 hour good quality game like this than a fuzzy pictured, objects just dumped higgledy-piggledy without any thought as to whether they can be seen or not, 4 hour game any day.

Be thankful for a good quality game at a fantastic price.

C

Gets off soap box and swooooooops out of sight.

bfgCelebes
Flounder
Flounder
2,038 Posts

[Post New]by bfgCelebes on Jun 15, 09 12:14 PM
Hey all,

This game has a forum of its own, now, so I'm just popping in to move this thread.

Cheers!

~~~bfgCelebes~ ~~~

dcaj
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by dcaj on Jun 16, 09 9:29 AM
Any one figure how to get the stones with the mouths on them to line up. Can skip, but would like to know how to get them lined up.. Thanks

seawitch98
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by seawitch98 on Jun 16, 09 10:05 AM
Just played the demo, loved it and will buy. One of the best that has come out lately. Love **** games. Thanks for all the info.

scotcat
Flounder
Flounder
2,349 Posts

[Post New]by scotcat on Jun 16, 09 8:17 PM
TimeKilla wrote:I really, really want to like this game. It has so much going for it. Gorgeous scenery, little adventure-style puzzles, quirky little twists on the usual mini-games, a fun story without overwhelming dialog and all the little niceties that should make for a better than average HOG.

But I wont be buying it. First off, it's way too short. I got to page 18 of (25) in the hour long demo. That was using no hints, and reading all the in-between pages. But worse than that, it shied away from offering any real challenge.

While it avoids all the pitfalls (no dark corners, no tiny objects) the hidden object gameplay is far too easy. One doesn't even need to look at the list. If there were penalties for multiple clicks or at least a percentage scoring, it might slow things down a bit. As it stands now, one needs only to click on the correct 15 of 30 objects in any given room.

The logic & item puzzles are too simplistic. None of them should stump the experienced player for very long. There are very few items that need to be used and a small number of possible uses.

The mini-games are dolled up with some exceptionally nice artwork and production. But again, a piece of cake. For example, the first mini-game puzzle was dominoes style. A four-side disk with different characters. Normally these are tricky but when a disk was placed correctly, it stuck. So once you had two or three in place, the rest of the game was just filling in the obvious blanks. Had the disks been free to move until the entire puzzle was finished, it would have been much harder. This sort of hand-holding happened every time.

The production values on the game are superb and one can see the hard work that went into creating this game. The art department did a terrific job. The game offers quite a bit a variety during play. It really should be fantastic. But even at BFG prices, I'll pass on this one. If it was at least 4 hours long, I'd buy it as a pretty little distraction but the half hour or so I'd have left would be very dissatisfying.

Great review!

My additional comments will be in my next post as I ran out of room in this post.

Go to: