samwise50
Guppy
Guppy
160 Posts

Re:Drawn: The Painted Tower technical issues

[Post New]by samwise50 on Sep 5, 09 2:55 PM
First of all, BFG has tremendously improved its customer support over the years. I can only congratulate the technicians for their efforts in providing excellent assistance.

Second, I have been fortunate enough to test this amazing game before release and I was absolutely delighted. Graphics, storyline, puzzles, music, characters, the overall ambiance, everything met my expectations. It was gorgeous!

It is finally here. I did not waste a minute and downloaded it.

It says
Play a sample version FREE for one hour
The size of the sample is 81.59 MB; the full version is 174.30 MB, which I didn't notice, didn't pay attention to. So it will be different for each player as to finish playing the demo before the said 60 minutes. Personally, it took 40 minutes before it redirected me to the purchase page. Like I said, I didn't pay attention to the size of the file.

I came here to see if others were having the same problem. As suggested, I checked if my comp needed any updates. As it turned out, Direct X was up to date but I downloaded the latest graphic drivers from nVidia.

The problem continued, as soon as I clicked on the Witch Doctor's painting; it sent me back to the purchase page. I came back here and read a little more. Someone (sorry, I don't remember who) mentioned the size of the file. OK. It makes sense.

I purchased the game and all is good now. No more crashing.

"One hour" of play could be misleading, I have to admit. Maybe next time BFG should rephrase this.

That being said, this is money well spent, it is worth every penny. Bravo BFG and thank you for this superb game.

jjj13
Squid
Squid
68 Posts

[Post New]by jjj13 on Sep 5, 09 3:57 PM
[b]
DecemberM wrote:
tuezdaye wrote:This is a superbly beautiful game. The story, the music, the graphics and adventure.

It works, but it's very slow to load paintings if you need to go back and forth, which you do. And it takes almost a full two minutesto completely close when exiting the game, during which it makes every other app non-responsive.

I have read now that there are a few of us (one whose computer is only 6 months old!) who have gone through the whole help file, found our computers up to, and past, the minimum standards and are still having drag problems. Yes, I did write to tech and I will appreciate any helpful hints they can give me...except since I've already done a complete diagnostic I'm looking for them to tell me to do something I already have.

If this game really requires 2 Gigs of RAM and a 10 GHZ processor (example) then it would be appreciated if someone would be honest and tell us so that so many are not thinking there's something wrong with their computers when there isn't......or look at the game development to see what is so different from the other 30 games I've purchased this year that had zero issues.

Listen to your customers, please? We all love BFG ya know.

tuez

I was going to put in a rant here as I also have experienced exactly the same as those have written above but you have written my thoughts so succintly, so expertly that it's pointless for me to do anything but cut and paste your message again Tuez.

I love BFG, but there is something wrong with this game. Technically wrong with the game.

(Also, IMHO it's REALLY REALLY unprofessional to have a one hour time limit trial, and have a big black screen with no explanation, no exit button, no nothing when you reach the 'section' where the trial actually ends)

I agree with all that has been said above. This is the first time I have ever got so frustrated by a game from Big Fish. I too have played innumerable games (including a number of large file games) with no (or very little) problem. The loading between paintings took so long it ruined the gameplay. I am very surprised that a game developed by Big Fish has such problems. And, yes, I too have upated drivers etc.

This is the first time I have posted on this forum, so forgive me if I have not quite got the hang of it yet!

Edited on 09/05/2009 at 4:08:57 PM PST

toast
Salmon
Salmon
2,618 Posts

[Post New]by toast on Sep 5, 09 5:01 PM
I finished the game and now am revising my original opinion about this game. In a nutshell, if they hadn't given me a credit after complaining about the "trial time limit" confusion, I wouldn't have spent money to buy it. I now really wish I had saved that credit for something I would have enjoyed. While the graphica and story were lovely, I feel the puzzles were either ridiculously obvious or made no sense at all and I had to just skip the puzzle. I think, all total, I skipped over half of them out of pure frustration. Just to be certain it wasn't just me, myhusband played it as well and quit in disgust after an hour. He's the logical thinker in the family and usually talks me through really hard logic puzzles but he was even more irritated than I was. I give this one a and I have already uninstalled it to save some space on my computer that I will actually enjoy.

[Post New]by nanaranda on Sep 5, 09 5:04 PM
I have gotten to the witch doctor page. I need to get out of the painting to get some things for the shrunken heads. But I have clicked everywhere I know to click and can't get out of the painting. Also, when the game first starts, I see a screen that has advancing percentages until it gets to 100. Usually there is some sort of picture or something that shows the game is loading. Is this percentage countdown just what is programmed in? So far the game seems interesting, just a little difficult to maneuver around and I was thrown out a couple of times. I'm on Vista. I don't know if that makes a difference or not.

Re: Drawn: The Painted Tower technical issues

[Post New]by ZenPoet on Sep 5, 09 6:28 PM
I downloaded the game, installed, and started it. I click "Play" and it loads and goes through the intro talking about her tears and dreams and whatever and then it flashes from the game to my desktop over and over again then closes completely and leaves me with a box with a long list of technical jargon I have no idea what it means but it has a button for "report technical issues" so I click that.
Then I read through the forums and decided to do the uninstall-reinstall thing and it didn't work...still the same problem. So then I updated all of my drivers etc etc etc. The technical support says to do this "DxDiag" so I did that once before I updated the driver and once after.
I have uninstalled and reinstalled 4x and I have changed the resolution on the screen and I have taken it off Windows Vista Aero so I'm now at a loss. I can find no other solutions in the forums or self help section so hopefully someone will have some answers. I have sent a msg to tech support also but thought I'd post here to see if anyone else is having the exact same problem.
-Melanie
PS also every time I run the game I have to put in my name again as a new player. It doesn't seem to keep it in there. I know that I'll lose it when I uninstall and reinstall....I'm talking about when I click play, enter my name, the game crashes, then I reopen it and start again...my name is not there.

cesse47
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
25,099 Posts

[Post New]by cesse47 on Sep 5, 09 6:35 PM
ZenPoet, It sounds like you did all you could do. Did you send the DxDiag file to Customer Support with your email? If not, don't delete it. They may ask for it when they get back to you. Customer Support does work 24/7 so I'll keep my fins crossed that you hear from them soon. Good Luck

[Post New]by ZenPoet on Sep 5, 09 6:46 PM
CESSE47-
yes, I sent them both the dxdiag before I updated the drivers and then the dxdiag after I fixed the drivers. Wish me luck. I haven't seen anyone else with the same problems I'm having exactly. Thanks for responding tho. I feel like someone is listening.

Megami
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
14 Posts

[Post New]by Megami on Sep 5, 09 6:59 PM
Every time I click on the witchdoctor's picture it kicks me out and window with bigfish game cart with set up for purchase of this game.

cesse47
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
25,099 Posts

[Post New]by cesse47 on Sep 5, 09 7:20 PM
ZenPoet wrote:CESSE47-
yes, I sent them both the dxdiag before I updated the drivers and then the dxdiag after I fixed the drivers. Wish me luck. I haven't seen anyone else with the same problems I'm having exactly. Thanks for responding tho. I feel like someone is listening.

...Not a problem. I know what it's like to look forward to a game and not be able to do so. The mods do try to help but can only point people to the ?Help or direct them to contact Customer Support. You're right though, I haven't seen anyone else posting with a problem like the one you describe. Hope the Tech Support folks can help you out. Please post and let us know how it goes. Good Luck again.

cesse47
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
25,099 Posts

[Post New]by cesse47 on Sep 5, 09 7:23 PM
Megami wrote:Every time I click on the witchdoctor's picture it kicks me out and window with bigfish game cart with set up for purchase of this game.

Megami, welcome to the Fish Pond. That is the end of the demo. The download included the first two chapters of the game which are both small in time to complete. You can continue to play to use up the rest of the hour but you'd need to sign in using a different player name and you'd be playing the same two chapters.
At this point you'll need to decide whether or not to purchase the game.

Happy Gaming

lentenrose
Minnow
Minnow
286 Posts

[Post New]by lentenrose on Sep 5, 09 7:32 PM
In the hall of giants there is a cave of symbols. It took me over 25 tries to get the torch in its holder and after 125 tries I gave up getting the sheet to attach. Had to use the walkthrough to copy the correct sequence. That is the only issue I had that I could not ascribe to user issues.
I knew where to put these objects but the game kept kicking them back to the tool kit. I don't know what I could have done differently.

cesse47
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
25,099 Posts

[Post New]by cesse47 on Sep 5, 09 7:54 PM
Annh, since you're already working with Tech support, I'm sure you'll be hearing from them soon. Tech Service is available 24 / 7 so am sure they're working on a resolution for you.

I'm really glad they included a sticky folder for Technical Issues. This is something we've requested since the forums began ... otherwise, technical issues are scattered all over the game forum and many go unanswered. Also, Tech Service has never monitored a game forum after a game's release. Perhaps they will do so if the issues are posted in one thread. So, having the Tech Issues thread gets a from me.

Good Luck ... hope you have a resolution to your problem soon.

[Post New]by miss_taken on Sep 5, 09 8:33 PM
I'm having the same issue that several others listed. I bought the game after the demo, and I'm stuck in the Witch Doctor Painting. I could exit out of the painting UNTIL I clicked on the Franklin dude for Help. Now I can't exit, it doesn't give me that option. What can I do? Thanks :-)

[Post New]by ZenPoet on Sep 5, 09 8:53 PM
Who is "Dr. Felix" and how can I find him? LOL I want to take care of all avenues that tech support might send me down BEFORE they send me down them.

cesse47
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
25,099 Posts

[Post New]by cesse47 on Sep 5, 09 9:09 PM
Zen, I believe it's a program or link that Tech Support sends you to run. It scans your C drive and pulls off certain files for the Tech to look at. One file it runs is DxDiag which you've already sent to them. I don't think you can run it or access it until they send it to you.

Silka
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
9 Posts

[Post New]by Silka on Sep 5, 09 9:14 PM
Hi!

Please help, I'm almost at the end I think. I got to where you're suppose to plant the magical seed and everything went crazy! EVERYthing is flickering like crazy. no cursor control. I can't do anything. I had to use Task Manager to exit.

cesse47
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
25,099 Posts

[Post New]by cesse47 on Sep 5, 09 9:18 PM
Silka wrote:Hi!

Please help, I'm almost at the end I think. I got to where you're suppose to plant the magical seed and everything went crazy! EVERYthing is flickering like crazy. no cursor control. I can't do anything. I had to use Task Manager to exit.
Silka, welcome to the Fish Pond. Go back in and see if it's still flickering. If it is, close the game. Go to the game manager and delete the game. Use the browser and delete cookies, cache, and temp files. Then empty the Recycle Bin. Then, close and Restart your computer. Go back to the game and see if you still have the problem. If you do, you'll need to contact Customer Support.
...If you have to contact Customer Support, run and save your DxDiag file. Create your email to Customer Support and attach the DsDiag file when you send the email.
...Good Luck

Edited on 09/05/2009 at 9:20:10 PM PST

bfgErie
Catfish
Catfish
1,538 Posts

[Post New]by bfgErie on Sep 5, 09 11:14 PM
Cesse47 has some good suggestions there. I would also recommend making sure your video card drivers are up to date as well. You can find out more about updating your video card drivers here:

Frequent Crashing of Game

I'd also recommend looking over the requirements that are needed to run Drawn: The Painted Tower.

Those requirements are as follows:

* CPU: 1.0 GHz
* RAM: 512 MB
* DirectX: 6.0
* Hard Drive: 651 MB

As opposed to some of our other titles, this game takes a lot of RAM and other resources to run. I'd suggest shutting down any other programs you have running before starting up Drawn to ensure that your computer will be able to handle the intensity of the game.

Edited on 09/05/2009 at 11:15:24 PM PST

[Post New]by Tinks02 on Sep 5, 09 11:43 PM
I am currently in the processes of redownloading because this game has crashed my computer 3 times now. The first time I wasn't sure, and the second time I was still a little iffy, but the third time I knew for sure. It happens whenever I enter a painting for the first time in the game, i get a blue screen as my computer crashes, I'll restart and it'll let me play fine but back at the beginning, the second time I restarted I played for awhile and then when I turned my computer on to play today it crashed as I was trying to go into a painting. Very frustrated, so now I'm going to reinstall and try again, seeing as I purchased the game and reallly like it. Just nervous about wrecking my laptop, which runs every other game really well... Any one else having this problem??

Okay so I redownloaded it and started it and bang it crashed my computer again. So I am pretty annoyed right now.

craskehouse
Herring
Herring
393 Posts

[Post New]by craskehouse on Sep 6, 09 1:22 AM
Got as far as the ice castle,then all my video drivers? freeze...they are all up to date for my computer

Go to: