LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

Re:Lost City of Z: Special Edition comments and reviews

[Post New]by LizzieK on Sep 20, 09 7:02 PM
ellendoy wrote:did anyone else have this problem...cannot pick up the parachutes and flashlight in the downed helicopter site. also, the flag is not where the hint indicates.

syleki wrote:I have the same problem as Ellendoy, Found parachute, white flag and flashlight and none would be picked up. I just bought this game and liked it at first, but am now sorry I bought it. Tech would propably tell us, it's our computers.

In this scene you can see the items and click on them but you can't pick up any of them until you use the machete to cut the large vines. Good luck!

Downu
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

[Post New]by Downu on Sep 20, 09 11:51 PM
I buy most HOGs put out by BF but I wont be buying this one. The hot spots are to small or something you have to click on items 3 or 4 times to get them.

Sorry

scarlet_11dy6
Flounder
Flounder
2,031 Posts

[Post New]by scarlet_11dy6 on Sep 21, 09 12:43 AM
I think the graphix were much better than that NG offering a while back about Herod's Tomb, way less grainy & not as small. I'll give NG credit for figuring that out, at least, tho I must say I've always been disapponted w/ the quality of HOGs from NG, History Channel, Discovery Channel, expected better. If the games are tailored more for children, why don't they warn the grownups by labeling it NG World (like the kiddie stuff from them is)?

If the "click zones" were better placed to avoid several clicks on a **** to snag it, it would've been OK, nothing to write home about but likely enjoyable for kids or beginners. The random click msg was irritating & I agree clicking anywhere to get rid of it would've been better than the Xs.

The storyline began in an interesting manner & then pooped out. I only got up to the torches in the cave on the demo (wasted soooo much time w/ torch placement that never happened plus tryng to photograph those stupid scarlet macaws), but the only further reference to the historical premise was gee I wonder if this was Dr Fawcett's machete? It was also redundant to insert such comments as one was playing, & then pop open that useless diary at the end of the level only to display the exact same comment....waste of time IMHO. It's not like the diary had any value for clues to anything (like in the Agatha Christie HOGs where it helped puzzle out the mystery for you) & it wasn't needed. Plus the storyline was asking players to suspend belief in the bit where the sister (did she ever have a name, even?) cured the kid of snakebite & all the villagers came out w/ spears after her....I was at least expecting either some clever & dramatic escape or for her to make friends w/ them & enlist their aid, not just skip off to the next scene.

I think the picture-taking concept was because at the end you got screensavers of them all....yeah, like I want a tarantula on my desktop

scarlet_11dy6
Flounder
Flounder
2,031 Posts

[Post New]by scarlet_11dy6 on Sep 21, 09 12:44 AM
PS>I agree with the person who waaaay back in this thread commented on the believability of the HOs in Sleepy Hollow; that's the main reason I got that one. I love historicaly-themed HOGs & it's always a letdown to be looking for a PDA in a castle or whatever. Developers take heed....I'd jump on a realistic "period piece" like that, even more so if the storyline was historically accurate as well

[Post New]by okiherdu2 on Sep 21, 09 4:48 AM
Have played this thing four times and have, four times, run into that same glitch with the windshield, disc brake, squeegee, belt and shotgun shell. Total waste of money, Paul Thelan. Your bad.

AFlowers
Lobster
Lobster
84 Posts

[Post New]by AFlowers on Sep 21, 09 6:22 AM
Due to the problems many were having, I was a little concerned. However, I finished it last night without a single problem. The scenery was nice, the background music just right, the photos a nice extra freebie. If I would have sped through it, I probably could have finished in an hour or two. As it was, it was probably closer to three. Not a bad price for a few hours relaxation - and I'll play through it again just to listen to the music.

Extra: You can download the music to your music folder. And, after playing through, you can save all the photos to your computer.

[Post New]by Widder35 on Sep 21, 09 6:23 AM
I ran out of demo time trying to pick up keys in the cave with the flashlight (sounds a bit like Clue) I don't think I will buy this one.

[Post New]by chicksdiggames on Sep 21, 09 9:24 AM
wow! you guys are tough. i really like this game. the graphics and sound effects are terrific. it took me awhile to figure out that you have to get out the camera to take a pic of the objects highlighted in yellow (scarlet macaw) but once i figured that out i loved that feature. it's very cool that you can use your "photographs" as wallpaper. it's so cool that national geographic is doing games! definitely give this one a try (and don't forget to use your camera!)

[Post New]by robertarobb on Sep 21, 09 8:25 PM
I'm at the copter crash site and no matter howmany times I get hints I cannot for the life of me find the goggles or the magnet.. Anyone else having this problem?
Please help if possible

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Sep 22, 09 1:20 PM
I really love this game! I love the idea with the animal picture and the the graphic is good. The items are not easy to find, but I love it. I have finished this game in over 3 hours.

I highly recommend this game to Hog-lovers and give it

/

Joanie707
Starfish
Starfish
53 Posts

[Post New]by Joanie707 on Sep 22, 09 8:13 PM
I notice a lot of people still are wondering about the hint system, actually it is quite easy if after you click on the object to get a picture of it and still can't find it, click on the HINT word under the picture and it as another gamer mentioned, a circular radar type of thing shows you exactly where the object is, these things you have to stumble on because they don't tell you, kind of part of the game I should think, the graphics are not too bad, the click warning is irritating. I think the game is much better then the first NG put out ("Herod's Tomb"?), so I think they are really trying . I hope they continue to improve because I think they are on the right track, and have the where with all to do some great HOG's.
Good luck ;-}

Edited on 09/22/2009 at 8:46:56 PM PST

castellerin
Herring
Herring
347 Posts

[Post New]by castellerin on Sep 22, 09 8:50 PM
OLDBAY wrote:I REALLY DONT UNDERSTAND WHY THIS GAME IS BEING RELEASED ON BF & GH THE SAME DAY.GH IS KNOWN FOR RERUNS .OH WELL......HOG...LOVERS ...WE HAVE TO KEEP WAITING ....&.....WAITING.....THIS ONE ISNT IT...SORRY.......

castellerin
Herring
Herring
347 Posts

[Post New]by castellerin on Sep 22, 09 8:54 PM
I really don't think Gamehouse is a second rate gaming co. anymore. I have found GHouse, Iwin, Relfexive and many others have become very competitive and I think that is good for us and BF too. I am an avid BF customer but believe all companies need competiton to keep on their toes. It can only benefit the consumer.

castellerin
Herring
Herring
347 Posts

[Post New]by castellerin on Sep 22, 09 9:00 PM
Wow, it is too bad about the poor clicking and what not, I mean if there is one kind of game you really want to like, it is a NAT. GEO game. I hope they get it together. I love the magazine.

[Post New]by DonnaNoble on Sep 23, 09 9:10 PM
If I were to use Amazon's rating system, I would probably give this game three stars.

Many of the graphics were beautiful, and there were a few objects that were ridiculously difficult to find. There were enough bugs, however, that if it weren't for the graphics this I would probably have given this game a 1 or 2 with Amazon's rating. The sheer number of times I had to click on an object I knew to be correct more than a gazillion times was highly annoying. Also, there was the interesting bug with the flashlight that i you click the flashlight at the right time in the game, it causes the game to automatically shut down.

I like the idea of the story behind this game, but it has some serious flaws that become laughable after awhile. "My sister is unconscious and near death from snakebite wounds, we must leave immediately, ohhh, but first I want to have a look around, okay, now we must really hurry, but I want to check out this village first....."

I also understand that this game has very little replay value, as you are always looking for the exact same objects.

Zogg
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
1 Posts

[Post New]by Zogg on Sep 25, 09 6:10 AM
Picking up the flashlight to find the letter "z" the game turns itself off. How do I pick up Z without the flashlight?

[Post New]by mitunia on Sep 25, 09 7:25 AM
Hi Zogg
this location is very tricky indeed
Here's what you need to do:

1) Pick up the flashlight (click on the flash light in the interface) and use it to click on the Z (cog) -
2) The Z will appear at the next location - which is the one with the abandoned Jeep. It will be listed as the last item on your list.
3) Place your cursor on the dark area between the tent and the jeep; your cursor will be replaced with the magnifiying glass.
4) Go ahead and click on it,
5) Enter the cave and you will see the area overgrown with vines.
6) Pick up you knife and cut out all the vines.
7) Once it's done click on the Z tile in the middle of the screen,
8) Pick Z tile (the cog) from the area at the lower part of your screen.
9) Place the Z cog on the empty circle in the middle of the screen, the cog will rotate and you'll enter the corridor

ladam2
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by ladam2 on Sep 27, 09 8:53 AM
I DO THIS GAME AND PURCHASED IT == WHICH I REGRET AND WILL NOT BUY ANY THING AGAIN UNTIL I HAVE A GOOD IDEA OF ALL THE PITFALLS.

I PURCHASE ABOUT 4 OR 5 GAMES A MONTH AND I HAVE BEEN STUMPED AT THE HELICOPTER TRYING TO GET THE KEYS, SCREWDRIVER, AXE AND THE KNIFE. IT SHOWS IT CLEARLY IN LOWER RIGHT HAND CORNER BUT I CANNOT PICK IT UP.

ALSO I READ THE MESSAGE ABOUT THE KEYS AND THE SCREWDRIVER, I AM THINKING MAYBE IF I UNINSTALL AND RELOAD MAYBE IT WILL HELP ===BUT I HATE THE EXCESS TOO MUCH CLICKING IT IS ANNOYING.

ladam2

scotcat
Flounder
Flounder
2,349 Posts

[Post New]by scotcat on Sep 27, 09 3:06 PM
Uhmm, are we all playing the same game here? I just played the demo (over at another game site I am a member of) and I went into the demo with very low expectations. Usually, the National Geographics games are amaturish and very boring, so that alone made me think.... meh. Then I came here to read all the reviews which were about 80% , so now it was really looking bad. I demo'ed the game for myself (hey, I get opals to use when playing the demos if nothing else). Well, my goodness, was I surprised!

Lovely clear graphics with some beautiful scenes.
Soothing music.
The hidden object hunt was just right. Not super easy, not too hard.
The picture taking of one animal in each scene was a nice touch.
Hint system was good. The gauge filled fairly fast and I did not mind the large radar circle at all. It is called a "hint" after all and not a "here, let me get it for you so you don't have any challenge at all" system.
I made it to the begining of Level 10 in an hour. There are 43 levels, so that's around 4+ hours of game play for me & I'm not a newbie for sure. I actually hate long games (never did finish Cate West or Amazing Adventures because they became too redundent & boring).

The people that know me know that I am not found of games for kids or games that are too easy. I found this game very pleasant and relaxing. Sure, the 2-3 mini games I came across were easy, but fun never the less. I don't do "quickies" when playing a game, but rather sit back and take my time to enjoy it. I don't devour every hidden object game that comes along as soon as it's released either (I haven't finished the demo to Drawn yet). So I may have a fresher view of a new game when I get around to playing it.

I found NO glitches, problems or hot spots in my demo game play. I did get a sign once about too many clicks, but that was because I was having a "Duh" moment. It was no big deal.

Pretty good job National Geographics! I liked this game enough to buy it and feel it's well worth $7.00.

scotcat
Flounder
Flounder
2,349 Posts

[Post New]by scotcat on Sep 27, 09 3:14 PM
puzzledone wrote:I agree 100% with LizzieK's pet peeve. After reading these comments I won't even demo this game, nor any that an innocent challenge or risk feels punitive. With a small 15in screen or a laptop tiny objects are out of bounds for me too. Even "beautiful graphics" is not enough to sway me when I just want some relaxing fun, "play" in the true sense of the word like one can do with SteveSheriff2.

Picture taking is fun for awhile, but as an avid Paradise Quest fan too (the best M3 game EVER IMO) after so many levels I skip that feature to just get on with the game, felt intrusive to the flow. I waited months for BF to get PQ and desparate, bought it elsewhere. Great game I recommend for nature lovers too so I pass on this Lost CityZ regardless of storyline which I usually skip too.

I didn't give up tho on Sleepy Hollow which I'm almost finished, some very small or unrecognizable objects being antiques, but easy hints feature, and altho red screen for too many random clicks, it is quickly forgiving, player friendly. I can appreciate objects being of the era, charming, even if hard to find. i.e.no cell phones or CDs, you learn new things like what a necktie looked like in 1700s for the price of a pumpkin hint.

No demo even needed for a big here.

How can you give a big negative review (or any review) for a game you didn't even demo? Just saying.......

Go to: