KatranMoiety1
Guppy
Guppy
122 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Mystery Case Files: Key to Ravenhearst Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by KatranMoiety1 on Oct 31, 15 10:47 AM
For what it's worth...(possible spoiler)

I am about to access the manor via the Tram --- loving this game and recognize many places in it from the past games.
Have played the older Ravenhearst games and struggled through some of the hidden object screens just because I liked the creepy story; The Dalimars are a such a weird bunch.

In my opinion, this was money well spent -- if you liked the other games, you'll like this one !

That "automaton" creeped me the crap out, though !!!

My favorite element is getting to customize the difficulty level -- thank you, devs !
If you see fit to make another-- I'll gladly throw my money at you !!

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Mystery Case Files: Key to Ravenhearst Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by NancySusan on Nov 1, 15 6:49 AM
I have two other MCF games, Dire Grove and Fate's Carnival, but I don't seem to have bought any in the Ravenhearst series; however, I betaed this one, and rather liked it. I'm not a big fan of endless HOP's and don't mind mini-games for the most part. I did find during the demo of this game that some of the mini-games were really vague in what they wanted and resorted a few times to using the SG, especially on the complicated, several step games, but I liked the option of being able to skip a step within the more complicated mini-games, but not the whole thing. I generally found the morphing objects fairly easy to find, no idea if I'll have the same success in the actual game. During the demo I had to get up and do a task so I didn't get as far in the demo as I did in the beta, but the demo left me intrigued enough with the story and the extras to consider buying the full game. I have 2 game credits, so I may just use them. However, I add my voice to those who are really tired of Eipix putting out games which are virtual duplicates of each other. While often having great graphics, at least so-so acting (as it is in this game), sometimes interesting storylines, the morphing objects showing up in the HOP's, and varied mini-games, still, there is such a sameness to so many of them. In fact, I felt this game had less of the mind-numbing qualities that have made me pass on a lot of recent games. So it's a qualified buy for me.

[Post New]by shoestringplayer on Nov 2, 15 9:44 AM
I participated in the beta test for this game. While I found weaknesses in it, I own all of the previous MCF games and was eagerly awaiting the release of Key to Ravenhearst. My observations: Regarding the story line---I was quite surprised to find out that Charles had fathered Rose's daughters. When was this supposed to have happened---while she was married to her husband? I'm not attempting to over-analyze...it just seemed like this was randomly thrown in and not part of the overall story line that the original developers had in mind. I guess it would tend to explain why Charles would kidnap Rose and the girls, though. Regarding the HOPs and puzzles---I found them to be much less challenging than in previous MCF games. I would have to say that out of all the games in the Ravenhearst series, Return to Ravenhearst was probably the best.

eden02
Starfish
Starfish
59 Posts

[Post New]by eden02 on Nov 2, 15 12:56 PM
Super disappointed. I look forward to the new MCF game every year with great anticipation. I've liked some better than others, but in general, these are the best, most challenging hidden objects I've played. They are actually difficult--in a fun way--and, up to now, take several days of play to get through, and are great to play over and over again. Not this one. From the cheap look to the door puzzles that were a pale ripoff of the ones in Fates' Carnival, this seemed like a very average hidden object game, of which there are literally hundreds on BF. Bring back the old developers!

k25belle
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by k25belle on Nov 3, 15 8:44 AM
First of all some people need to quit being so so picky...It drives me mad knowing that the people that made this game and worked so hard on it are being bashed about how horrible the game is. Ok first of all i love all the MCF games out there. I love all of them. MCF is my all time favorite game so I am standing up for it . lol. Anyhow Key to Ravenhurst was a great game to me. The only thing i wish it had was a little more of Alister's Insanity lmao. To me the story was great, love the spooky music and the graphics were great. The cinematics were great as well. I do miss the live actors but it does take alot of money to do that so I understand. I can tell that they really did try to bring us back to Ravenhurst. If u remember the first time we visited Ravenhurst it was already about to fall apart..Now we get to see it in its true glory. I don't think the new company did bad at all. Just a little more spooky and a touch of insanity pls for the next ravenhurst please lmao. But Job well done, Don't take my word for it tho, we all have our likes and dislikes play the demo first if u like it then buy it. LMAO. i remember in the first few ravenhurst it was like a insanity rollercoaster lmao....Thanks for a great game.

sfr8rfan
Guppy
Guppy
196 Posts

[Post New]by sfr8rfan on Nov 3, 15 9:55 PM
I wrote a review of Key To Ravenhearst after playing an hourlong trial. I'm going to give a more knowledgeable review now:

IT'S FANTASTIC. With the exception of the Bonus Chapter that was underwhelming and way too "light," everything else...EVERYTHING ELSE was INCREDIBLE.

IT'S INTENSE. The game isn't scary. I mean, c'mon. I have never played a game that really sent a chill up my spine. It's a game. A movie is different. I can suspend disbelief in a movie because it's real people, not drawn.

Still, the cruelty, malevolence, diabolical themes, even though not human, are still very intense.

The EVIL is communicated constantly. The words, the actions, the sights, the voice acting, THE BACKGROUND MUSIC, the hidden object scenes, the mini-games, these all contribute to the "intensity" of the Key to Ravenhearst experience. It's COMPLETELY IMMERSIVE, sensually.

IT'S BEAUTIFUL TO SEE&HEAR: This game was drawn as beautifully as any I've ever seen. EVER. It is rich in color and very realistically drawn: I could see the patina of reality in the people and objects drawn and animated. I could hear the patina of reality in the voices of the actors, each of whom was wonderful.

IT'S CHALLENGING. It's easy to complain that this game isn't tough enough, or like games in the old days. ALERT ALERT ALERT: THERE'S a CUSTOM MODE THAT ALLOWS YOU TO TURN OFF ALL THE HELP. Shut off situational cursors. Shut off helpful text. Shut off glitter for locations and HOS. DON'T LOOK AT THE STRATEGY GUIDE. I didn't. You don't have to! To some degree we control the challenge.

Guesstimate: total playing time was 12 hours. YES. It took me that long. Why? Who knows? Maybe I'm really a beginner and not an expert! Who cares? Describe however you want. If being an expert means finishing in 90 minutes then I'm glad I'm a beginner. Every minute I played Key to Ravenhearst it became more valuable. I enjoyed coming back to it again and again.

IT'S NOT LIKE THE OLD GAMES: Correct. This game is unlike previous iterations of the Ravenhearst series or any other game. It's completely new. And it's exciting and challenging and FUN.

THE GOOD NEWS: CLEARY MORE RAVENHEARST TO COME!!!

I AM MORE EXCITED NOW THAN I WAS AFTER JUST AN HOUR OF PLAYING. Unless you only like HOG or don't like dark subject matter, I CAN'T IMAGINE NOT LIKING THIS GAME. Give me a concrete example of what about this game isn't as good or better than MOST others. Please.

janey3315
Guppy
Guppy
102 Posts

[Post New]by janey3315 on Nov 3, 15 9:57 PM
I too have all MCF games...I bought this game without playing a demo because it's a MCF game....so far so good....I like to savor each moment and take it all in...so far this game has held my interest....I'm just now to the mansion. I am one who likes a bit of a challenge but if the story line grabs me, I can go with it..... then it becomes that much better. So far I'm intrigued. This game keeps me wanting to come back and play ....and that's saying a lot because I get so bored with these run of the mill HOG games that I've been playing time management games instead for months on end just because I'm so tired of the same old stuff with these HOG games. Each year, like everyone else who likes MCF, I wait for the new game.

All in all...I'm loving this game for this year....I'm questioning now if my opinion has changed since reading these reviews because I was planning on coming in here to say what an amazing game this is ...but then I read that there is no diary/journal and I'm like ...hmmm come to think of it.... the diary is kind of a key element in the Ravenhurst saga ....lol....Oh, the power of persuasion

janey3315
Guppy
Guppy
102 Posts

[Post New]by janey3315 on Nov 3, 15 10:06 PM
And, Oh Yes, I wanted to give kudos to the developers (Eipix) who have, without a doubt, worked hard on bringing this game to us die hard gamers for the holiday season...sending you all a great big Thank You!!!

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Nov 4, 15 9:55 PM
I am not a big fan of Eipix, but I think they have done a great job with this game. Lots of work has been put into making this game, and it shows.

I am not a fanatical fan of MCF games, but see them as just another HOG. I have played them all (except for one), and I can honestly say that I like this game MUCH better than the one that came out last year by Elephant Games or other MCF games before that.

Well done, Eipix !!

[Post New]by Purple38 on Nov 5, 15 7:48 PM
I really liked the game but was disappointed like a lot of people on this forum with the storyline. As I am a fan of the Ravenhearst series and have played and own games 1 & 2 not 3, (Charles character was sick enough let alone hearing it all from his twisted perspective). EPIX what happened did you not take any notice of the previous storylines or was the urge to make this series one with the Epix family so strong that you didn't think the diehard fans would notice. The twins were never Dalimars only Victor was, there was a tiny reference to Rose the twins mother and the one person that this whole storyline is based on is never referred to at all EMMA. Epix shame on you for mucking with an existing storyline yet again you have done the same thing with the Dark Parables series as well. Like I said I liked the game but was disappointed with the storyline. What would have been better than the continued resurrection of the Dalimars, but that there was an actual key that unlocked the mystery of Ravenhearst, where our main character finds the long forgotten letters that had been hidden from Emma by Charles and the lineage is traced back to him being the heir of Ravenhearst as he is related to Emma, now there's a storyline that Epix could have gone with if they wanted new.

jojo_the_joyful
Salmon
Salmon
2,761 Posts

[Post New]by jojo_the_joyful on Nov 6, 15 12:50 AM
Although I have not finished the bonys chapter yet ( Work & some great TM games out there) I feel compelled to say thank you to Eipix for this great game.

You obviously studied the previous games very hard and there is a superb continuity of the scenes & story. I appreciate that very much.

Any quibbles I have about finding the ravens will remain ssshhhhh for now

Thank you for al;l your hard work.

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Nov 6, 15 6:52 AM
heleanthia wrote:
krinneyd wrote:This is not a review so much as a post to voice my extreme frustration that there is no diary/journal in this game! there have been several items that when I clicked on them to read...they disappeared, no where to be found!! The diary has been a 'key' element in all of the MCF Ravenhurst games.....it bothers me to no end! Although I really wanted to like this version of Eipix, really I did...that one missing element makes it so disappointing for me. There are very few games where the journal/diary is integral to the game play and Ravenhurst is most definitely one of them...MCF Fates Carnival's diary was absolutely essential to the game. I think it's the part I liked the most. If you were uncertain or wanted to review you had something to go back to. grrrrrr.....it has spoiled the game for me.

Exactly. *sigh* ....the journal was an integral part. It made us, the players, feel as though we WERE the detective or at least a valuable aid to the detective. too....

Totally agree with that.

BUT as a player that so looked forward to MCF every year - I have them all - I remember looking at all the photos of the 13th Skull launch party - ah the good old days - this game is very, very good. I agree with the MCF fans - it's not on a par with RTR or Dire Grove - but it is still a very good game. I like the little Ravenhearst touches. I have bought a few Eipix games in the past but don't bother anymore because I feel they have become cookie cutter games. And like others, I am getting tired of the same old HOPA games. This is a cut above. Congrats to the developers! And enjoy!

[Post New]by judithmadams on Nov 7, 15 8:53 AM
I have played every single Mystery Case Files game produced. Each one is wonderful on its own; but each one has progressed technologically along the way. I always anxiously await the newest Mystery Case Files game; and I was so excited to see a new Ravenhearst. I purchased it immediately without question. That being said, I am sadly disappointed in this newest Mystery Case Files. I find it dark, complicated, overloaded with "mechanical puzzles" that I despise, and a bit, believe it or not, boring. I find that I am anxiously awaiting the conclusion of this game.

There are so many wonderful hidden object games offered today, that I feel that the Mystery Case Files series games should be exemplary and special. This one, sadly is neither of those. The only feature added that I was SO HAPPY to see was allowing the player to skip any part of those very complicated mini-game puzzles throughout the game. I hated having to skip the entire puzzle when getting stuck. This time, I was able to enjoy the puzzles and skip parts that were really troublesome.

I'm not sorry that I downloaded, and played, Key to Ravenhearst, but once completed, I will uninstall and not replay it. I have replayed every other Mystery Case Files game many times, and never get tired of them.

[Post New]by kikik13 on Nov 8, 15 8:39 AM
Big Fish Games has really screwed up. I used to so LOVE the MCF games, but they have now been dumbed down with cheap, cheesy characters, that move in a stupid, unrealistic fashion. The cartoonish characters are an intrusion. AND they have really dumbed down the game. The puzzles used to be a lot harder and more challenging. It takes no brains AT ALL to solve the puzzles, now. I remember in the old games it would take me days, at times, to solve the puzzles. Now, all you have to do is simply click on crap to see what happens and then go from there. Not a hard fix, at all. Just get rid of the stupid characters. Return to just "me", trying to solve some dark mystery, where I am in an isolated place. The original Dire Grove and the first Ravenhurst games were awesome. I loved how the ghosts of Rose and the twins were real actors. And I loved the actor who played Victor. The only thing this new game has going for it are the hidden objects and the scenery. It reminded me of going back to the original creepy insane asylum.

[Post New]by kikik13 on Nov 8, 15 8:51 AM
Gotta say more. Eipix has ruined the game. you cannot even compare this cheap imitation to the originals. This is just another typical Hidden object game-like all the others. The original games were spookier, creepier and darker. If it costs so much to hire actors, then just have 1 or 2 actors in the game. No need to have a whole cast.
For those of you who are now happier because you can solve the puzzles??? come on. Exercise the brain. A chimp could now do these puzzles. Just start clicking randomly and you should be able to figure them out.

[Post New]by dargrasso on Nov 10, 15 12:31 PM
As a HUGE fan of the Mystery Case files games, played them all, I am so disappointed in the Key to Ravenhurst game. It is nothing like he prior Ravenhurst games, the graphics were bad, the story line was bad. Just an all around major disappointment. Just my thoughts.

[Post New]by carolthescot on Nov 10, 15 2:43 PM
I've bought all the MCF games and i must say this one is one of the best by far.The only thing is there is no walkthrough for it yet as i am stuck on one particular game.I'm sure it will be published shortly so I will keep an 'eye' (that was a hint ha ha) out for it

[Post New]by carolthescot on Nov 10, 15 3:02 PM
carolthescot wrote:I've bought all the MCF games and i must say this one is one of the best by far.The only thing is there is no walkthrough for it yet as i am stuck on one particular game.I'm sure it will be published shortly so I will keep an 'eye' (that was a hint ha ha) out for it

Aha! I've managed to solve the one i was stuck on

tj1147
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

[Post New]by tj1147 on Nov 11, 15 7:57 AM
Finished the game and bonus. If this were a "stand alone" game I would give it fairly high marks. As a part of the MCF Ravenhearst games, I would give it maybe a 2 out of 5. I also bought it without any reservations as I was hoping for more like Dire Grove (my very favorite) or maybe 13 Skulls - more and better detail, etc. Some of the scenes were very "empty" of detail. Accessing the "extras" and waiting for "souvenirs", etc was so very slow. I just didn't enjoy it nearly as much as previous Ravenhearst games. Again, as a "stand alone" game it was OK.

murphy1018
Lobster
Lobster
85 Posts

[Post New]by murphy1018 on Nov 12, 15 4:07 AM
I have just finished this game and found it to be absolutely brilliant. This is a keeper for me and one that I will enjoy playing again.
The puzzles were extremely well done and some were very hard. A welcome challenge for expert gamers.
I agree with cme550 regarding the last two outings for MCF games but this new one surpasses all expectations.
Thank you developers!!

Go to: