Lobster
Lobster
83 Posts

Re:Delaware St. John: The Town with No Name comments and reviews

[Post New]by auntj38 on Oct 30, 09 6:11 AM
[b]Tried the demo......don't like this game. Uninstalled it after 30 min.'s

[Post New]by cottoncandy2 on Oct 31, 09 6:13 AM
I liked the concept of this game and I like the large file games but I uninstalled it shortly into part 2 because I was just SO frustrated. Navigation is extremely confusing for such a simple point and click game and I was tired of going in circles and ending up where I started. I was tired of the repetitive dialogue: That door's stuck. That door's stuck, Nope, can't open that door yada yada yada. It just got old very quickly.

I found there was no rhyme or reason to the game and without the walkthrough I was completely lost and that's never happened before. Once you finally found a location and solved whatever puzzle was there, you had no idea where to go next and wound up going in circles again until you just lucked out and found the next location or went to the walkthrough and that monster chase was beyond stupid. That's when I packed it in and gave up.

I'd really like to try the other Delaware St. John game but if it's anything like this it will be a waste of money IMO.

Bluester
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

[Post New]by Bluester on Nov 3, 09 10:23 AM
This was not a good game. I quit after 37 minutes..in which I had found MANY un-useful things and a broken umbrella. I hate games that give voice AND words and do not allow you to skip. I was forced to watch credits and then a tutorial that never finidhed.. stopped working. 37 minutes of me trying to valuate if I want to buy?? No thank you.

Cromaxgal
Clownfish
Clownfish
730 Posts

[Post New]by Cromaxgal on Feb 23, 10 8:47 PM
I bought it and have attempted to play it several times but it's soooooooooooooo annoying and takes too much time and even with the walkthrough, it's like a maze, so I uninstalled it.

Carole22759
Minnow
Minnow
288 Posts

[Post New]by Carole22759 on Mar 7, 10 12:49 AM
I began this game's trial download after seeing the new volume Sea Cliff Tragedy offered, thought I would begin w/1&2. However...after reading many reviews, I quickly stopped the downloads of all three and won't bother to even give the trials a try.
I'm not into the wandering around, listening/reading endlessly "motif" either!
Too bad because I'm searching for a good game to play and haven't found anything (new) to my liking since DireGrove.
Hope tomorrow I will see that tomorrow's-game-today is a better offer.

joancast
Seahorse
Seahorse
36 Posts

[Post New]by joancast on Mar 9, 10 6:05 AM
I agree with all of you, this game sucks. I've gone on it three times and cant figure out where I'm going. Its too dark and like someone else said before you know it you're right back where you started. My problem is I already bought it! I too have taken it off my computer. Joancast

meatbun66
Starfish
Starfish
49 Posts

[Post New]by meatbun66 on Jun 8, 10 10:30 AM
Thank you for your opinions. I was *just* about to purchase this game when a little voice inside my head said, why don't you read the reviews first.

[Post New]by Royal5767 on Sep 5, 10 3:57 AM
I have been playing Delaware Town with no Name, for the last three days and have found it could be extremely enjoyable. The storyline and graphics are great, I do not use the sound so this causes a little bit of a problem but not too much. The main frustrating problem is what seems to be the lack of logic behind using the arrows for movement. I am in the orphanage now and seem to find things by chance rather than logic. It would be nice if one could keep a track of where one has been but this is difficult because of the lack of logic. For example I found the kitchen once but cannot find it again. I must also say I dont think this game can be played without the walkthrough as there are very few hints of what to do next. In summary I think it could be a great game if not so frustrating.

Jinnare
Guppy
Guppy
178 Posts

[Post New]by Jinnare on Nov 30, 10 2:57 PM
Royal, it's nice to see someone else who is enjoying this game. We definitely seem to be in the minority here.

I've tried the demos for DSJ #1 and #2 and have #3 waiting for me. I love these "old-style" adventure games. Lots of people complain about too much hand holding on some of the current games. I would think these would appeal to those folks as you're all on your own - not a hand to help you anywhere.

Several people have mentioned having problems because they can't hear the dialog. You can turn on subtitles (or turn them off if you don't want them) in the Game Options screen. To access the Menu for Exiting or Options, just click on the blank square space in the lower center of your screen. It looks like a video screen for the VIC.

Anyway, I'll be adding the Delaware St. John trio to my "Buy" list for future purchases. It'd be nice if BFG would throw them on on the DD or the CofW (hint? hint?).

[Post New]by PrincessTomato on Feb 27, 11 4:27 AM
I love this game, and the other two in the series. I would definitely recommend them if you're familiar with classic adventure games, especially the supernatural/horror genre. These games are spooky and atmospheric and I love to play them late at night However, if you're usually a casual game player and are more used to things like HOGs this may not be to your taste. So, in short:

Pros: interesting continuing storyline, immersive, spooky atmosphere, has some good surprises/scares, good for players who like longer and more involved adventure games

Cons: not a game you can play only a few minutes at a time, may be too time-consuming/slow paced for players who are used to casual games, can be difficult to navigate the game world especially if you're new to adventure games.

Personally I really liked this one (it is my favorite of the three and also the one I'd consider the most challenging) and I hope the 4th installment is really going to come out soon!

atroya
Starfish
Starfish
53 Posts

[Post New]by atroya on Apr 12, 11 6:03 AM
Not even terrible it is absolutely appalling. This is in my opinion cheap jack programming. Unfortunately I bought it but it is so illogical and boring and the clue system is absolutely useless. If you like to be totally frustrated by all means buy this game. Big Fish you really cannot of tested it before you bought it in. I am shocked

Meritre
Guppy
Guppy
177 Posts

[Post New]by Meritre on Jun 4, 11 9:47 PM
I did not like it. The method of moving around wasn't fun to work with, the story isn't terribly compelling, and the demo ended with me still having half the game time left. Graphics were fine, but not particularly amazing. The pace is slow. Really, the only good thing I can say is that the music was cool, went well with the atmosphere. Even if it wasn't as spooky as I'd hoped. Would not buy.

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on Jan 1, 12 1:05 PM
I like the first Delaware St. John game and when this one came along I had to have it, I was no disappointed, I love the interactive adventure game, I love the ghosts and mystery.

This game will keep anybody playing for hours, to me is quite challenging, some areas are harder than other.

But overall is one of my favorites.

Go to: