Kayster
Squid
Squid
65 Posts

Re:Ghost Town Mysteries: Bodie comments and reviews

[Post New]by Kayster on Oct 31, 09 12:24 PM
Disappointment, great potential left unfulfilled.

Dark, murky and fuzzy. Not hard, just PITA dark, murky, and fuzzy.

2 minutes to wait for another hint is WAY toooo long. I would like a way to earn them other than those silly flies. Or save them up - don't use them in one scene, can still add with the fly hunt.

Absolute bad decision on the no hints, no skip mini games. I do not like find the differences and sometimes there is no way I am ever going to find them. Fortunately, no penalties for clicking on those (relaxed mode, don't know about expert). So I found some by clicking like crazy.

Not fun. No sale.

/

[Post New]by Pandoras_box on Oct 31, 09 12:44 PM
kcojco wrote:I had high hopes, which were quickly dashed. Horrible graphics, to bad because I like these kinds of dark themed games. Won't be buying.

Wish I had read this review before I bought it. I agree, really bad graphics and just a waste of money!

corbs123
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,701 Posts

[Post New]by corbs123 on Oct 31, 09 11:54 PM
i found the game too dark and finding objects difficult shame as i might have bought it. mayby these tired old eyes just arent up to it? but story line was good.

nannybrite
Starfish
Starfish
55 Posts

[Post New]by nannybrite on Nov 1, 09 7:29 AM
One of the worst ever in my opinion. Dark,hard to see and not enough ways to get help. Who wants to put together a puzzle with nowhere to start. I had one puzzle piece I couldn't even find where it went. Uninstalled the game there and then. Very repettive and very little plot. A waste of money in my opinion.

bbelle
Clownfish
Clownfish
795 Posts

[Post New]by bbelle on Nov 1, 09 7:51 AM
I"m really sorry I bought this game also. To me it was a flop. I tried to like it, played all the way through but it didn't get any better. To get hints you had to find flies which was almost impossible, The find the difference pictures were bad. Not enough hints for the play. I"d love to have my money back.

bbelle

BigFatPanda
Squid
Squid
61 Posts

[Post New]by BigFatPanda on Nov 5, 09 11:26 PM
Update to my original review - I think I want to subtract a Bamboo stick after playing it out to the end.
BIG FAT PANDA GAME REVIEW
5 Bamboo sticks out of 10
It is important to know that I have a very high resolution, crisp, high definition display. There are times the hints would show me the object (even in a bright spot) and I still could not see it. It was there in their imagination - LOL
It is a creepy story and it keeps up a great chilling atmosphere, but expect to struggle and wait for that hint sometimes.
They needed to test it further!

[Post New]by bonniegale on Nov 6, 09 7:16 AM
the worse game i have ever played graphics were terrible,gravestone puzzles were so boring and spot the difference was almost impossible to find anything because the graphics were so bad it did make me laugh at the end puzzle though i had the sound level down really low but it still made me jump

calsmom2001
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,785 Posts

[Post New]by calsmom2001 on Nov 8, 09 7:25 AM
While this isn't the WORST game I've ever played (that honor goes to The Broken Clues), it is a very bad game. It's a shame, because the potential for greatness was there, with an intriguing story and an interesting locale. However, the fuzzy, very dark graphics and completely inadequate hints made the hidden object part of this very difficult and frustrating. Add to that the fact that you spend half the time working on the gravestone puzzles, which in themselves were unbelievably frustrating (click to rotate? uh-huh, and 1/2 to 3/4 of the time the click doesn't work - extremely poor production) and that the only other mini-game I encountered were spot the differences (which I loathe) without a skip option and you have a game that failed to hold my interest even through the demo; when I came up against yet another gravestone puzzle I uninstalled with four minutes to go, as I knew I would spend those four minutes clicking and cursing. Too bad, I was hoping for much more from this game. Developers, read all these comments and give things another try - you've got some good ideas, but they really need work.

(for storyline)

Leaty
Starfish
Starfish
56 Posts

[Post New]by Leaty on Nov 8, 09 10:53 AM
+ Average / good story
+ great setting
+ ability to reset a room to different objects.

- fails as a hidden object game. Too dark and fuzzy. The 4 items on tombstones are especially cumbersome. Sometimes very easy to spot, other times only through wild clicking all over it.
- the hintsystem would actually work, if only you'd had a better chance to spot the objects in the first place.
- sound. While fitting the setting perfectly, it's just overdone. Hearing the same shrieking soundpiece 2-4 times in a row isn't adding to the atmosphere, but getting on my nerves.
- room reset only works after you used all hints.

Personally I see a lot of potential in it, however I wouldn't recommend it as it is.

Diana_Mc
Minnow
Minnow
269 Posts

[Post New]by Diana_Mc on Nov 8, 09 12:23 PM
I didn't mind it, kind of liked it, although it certainly could have been improved. I'm not sure where I posted before, but I never used a hint, never saw a fly and was spending more time hunting them than finishing the rooms so I quit looking.

I just started it over again and I still have no major issues with this game. I like putting the puzzles together. Yes, they can be a bit of a challenge at times but never impossible. I've found much worse rotation methods.

One thing I noticed, and I don't think I'm imagining it, is that if I just kept mousing over the scene without clicking, it would get brighter. Also I have been able to identify every item once I found it and that's something I can't say about a lot of HOGs.

I have a tendency to get a little sidetracked by some of the graphics - like, "Hey! There's a handcrank sewing machine!" or "I think I have a reproduction of that angel!" I'm fairly certain that some of the items in the rooms are authentic to the period.

This was an enjoyable game although not a great game for me. I don't really understand why so many people hate it so much. Now I got the Scruffs and truly dislike that one, although I couldn't exactly say why. I'm trying to finish it but it's not enjoyable at all. Well, the dog is cute.

I must really be an oddball because I'd far rather have my money back for Joyville and it seems like everyone else loved it.

rlk0045
Minnow
Minnow
262 Posts

[Post New]by rlk0045 on Nov 10, 09 8:29 AM
One word describes this game for me. Boring! Not much fun because it was so difficult to find things. I thought I would play this game while wanting for a large file game to download. I think I will go make me some brownies while Diamon Jones is downloading.

Poof11
Clownfish
Clownfish
503 Posts

[Post New]by Poof11 on Nov 15, 09 4:52 PM
Wow....What a disappointment! This game could have been really good with the storyline and all but fat chance. First the game runs really slow. Second, the graphics are so grainy objects are very hard to see. I was up on top of my monitor at times. Also, some of the objects are at the edge of the screen and you can't quite make out what it is without using a hint (something I really don't like to do). It takes some time between picking up objects, so if your a fast clicker forget it. The tombstone minigames were frustrating. When you didn't want the object to turn, that would be when it turned. The game developers should have used the right click to rotate the object if needed. Also, instead of going back to the map each time, why couldn't they have just said complete and take you to the main location. And what was with the going to the church for nothing.....filler? They could also get rid of the whole key thing. Once you have the key that should be it, open up the next location, instead of wasting time having me put the key in and showing me the door unlocking. The game seems more like its based on putting together the tombstones and the **** are the minigames. Very glad my demo was over. Don't waste your money.

Diana_Mc
Minnow
Minnow
269 Posts

[Post New]by Diana_Mc on Nov 15, 09 5:38 PM
Re the graphics in this game - they aren't really bad. In some cases, they are very detailed and that may be the issue. I didn't have any major problems with finding things before, but I got a new monitor and, boy, did some things pop! There was so much detail in one scene that I think it made it more difficult. Seriously, I can clearly identify an angel that I have as a reproduction Christmas ornament.

The texture on the gravestones became more realistic too and the wood on the building looked better. I still can't see a fly though.

I've only replayed about 3 sections and they do vary in quality. I can now see the etchings on the stones too. Of course, you shouldn't need a high-end monitor and video card for this game but I was surprised at the difference the monitor made. The "old" monitor was a new Dell.

I agree about the church scenes being filler. Those skeeved me out. Anyone know if there's a reason - like is there a story about her haunting the church or something? (And why is she green?)

[Post New]by grammaria on Dec 2, 09 7:32 PM
Geez! What is the deal with so many spiders?? It is very rare not to have them in HOGs but this one, IMO, is over the top. I played for the hour, but won't buy it because of multitude of creepy crawlers. I have a strong fear of them and hate having them in all the games.

There is one game that has a scene with a huge one thru the whole level. My daughter had to cover it up with a magazine cuz it was so creepy.

This looks like it could be a great game, but I won't be buying it.

[Post New]by diamondgirl2 on Dec 3, 09 4:20 PM
I really like this game, although putting together the puzzle pieces on the grave stones between each level can be extremely frustrating. I love the creepy music, crying and moaning people, pop up ghosts and the captivating scenes. I think sometimes the rooms are too dark making the objects hard to find. This is a terrific game but it's not long enough to suit me! I hope another ghost town mysteries games is made soon.

Diana_Mc
Minnow
Minnow
269 Posts

[Post New]by Diana_Mc on Dec 3, 09 6:01 PM
Thanks, diamondgirl12. I expected to see another post saying what an awful game this was and, yet, I seem to run into other games with graphics that are no better and possibly worse.

It wasn't long and it wasn't a great game but I did enjoy it. Having some idea of how old monuments generally look may have helped me a bit, but it was still challenging to get started on some of them. I was never able to do one puzzle in the Everest game because of the interface.

[Post New]by Buttonbear on Jul 3, 10 12:59 PM
Too fuzzy, no enough hints and did anyone else notice that the details on the tombstones don't match the pictures. We're supposed to believe that this spooky mystery followed the death of a six year old and then the subsequent 'suspicious' deaths of a bunch of 70+ year olds....One tomb says born 1822, died 1897 - that would make the 'victim' 75...in the old west this would be a ripe old age and noone would be suprised if they died to be honest....

Meritre
Guppy
Guppy
177 Posts

[Post New]by Meritre on Jun 4, 11 11:41 PM
I felt like they were trying too hard to make this spooky. If you like hidden object with little in the way of puzzle, you may like this. Also, story came almost exclusively from info sheets after gravestones, rather from actions and exploring in the game. A so-so game, but not for me.

[Post New]by MichaelMaiden25 on Nov 5, 11 6:57 PM
I have played the game and it was Scary for Halloween Nights!
A great game, can't wait for the next Installment!
But, the Graphics were Fuzzy...

Edited on 11/05/2011 at 7:00:41 PM PST

[Post New]by dragon_7 on Nov 20, 11 6:23 PM
Anybody have a problem with game locking up when attempting to return to play? I can start a new game as a new player, but can't get back to my original game past the city view of Bodie. Cursor is there, but nothing happens and menu and map don't open when clicked.

Go to: