kishimojun
Stingray
Stingray
4,534 Posts

Re:This Game Is Extremely Offensive!

[Post New]by kishimojun on Oct 29, 09 3:42 AM
Sure, OnWI. I'm certain she meant, "It should be removed from this site." in the nicest possible way. Those 3 posts of hers? Two of them called for BFG to pull this game. Nothing at all wrong with responding vigorously to a call for censorship, even if only for a game.

toast
Salmon
Salmon
2,618 Posts

[Post New]by toast on Oct 29, 09 6:16 AM
I would like to point out that there are many games that ANYONE could find offensive if they really put their mind to it. Last year around Halloween there was a game called Redrum which was very creepy. MCF: Return to Ravenhearst was also creepy as well as Puppetville. Then there is the Gravedigger game. Drawn was about a LITTLE GIRL in a dangerous situation! I didnt see the OP complain about ANY of these others games that include the same kind of theme/subject matter. So, in my opinion, if the OP is going to request censorship on this game, the OP should scream censorship on all the rest the OP finds offensive and at least be CONSISTENT! If the OP would rather not be bothered to monitor all the other games that they find offensive then I suggest they find another game site and remove THEMSELF from BF.

This is my OPINION. Do I not have the right to express it as well?

Hypocrisy makes me

and before anyone blasts me saying something like the person has a low post count/ is new and might have not seen saome of the other games I mentioned/ etc. I checked and the OP's first dip in the forum was Sept.6,2008. Every single game I mentioned has been out since then.

char1132
Manatee
Manatee
4,059 Posts

[Post New]by char1132 on Oct 29, 09 9:40 AM
kishimojun wrote:
bfgBering wrote:Hi Fishies!

Just wanted to take a moment to remind the pond that everyone is entitled to post their opinion on our games, whether they like something or not. Not everyone is going to like or agree with every game, and we enjoy hearing their comments just as much as we enjoy hearing what people like about games. All feedback is welcome!

bfgBering

My issue is not with tinor or wardragon not liking the game. I take serious issue with anyone saying: "It should be removed from this site." That goes beyond opinion into a plea for censorship.

i agree that goes in the catagory of book burning (imho)

[Post New]by Diana950233 on Oct 29, 09 10:48 AM
Well as I don't really post much I decided to add my 2 cents in on this one. I found this game to be quite entertaining!!....Rarely do I find a game that I actually want to buy after I play the demo....this one was great. In fact I had my speakers up way loud......I agree that if someone doesn't like this game...don't play it....

[Post New]by briteredlips on Oct 29, 09 11:06 AM
I played the demo. I see there are alot of negative remarks. I agree the subject manner is somewhat in question, but if you don't like it, don't play. It's pretty simple. I personnally did not like it. For whatever reason, it was not my cup of tea. And while I won't be buying it, I am glad we all have the right to decide for ourselves.

monkeyface881
Manatee
Manatee
4,138 Posts

[Post New]by monkeyface881 on Oct 29, 09 11:59 AM
toast wrote:I would like to point out that there are many games that ANYONE could find offensive if they really put their mind to it. Last year around Halloween there was a game called Redrum which was very creepy. MCF: Return to Ravenhearst was also creepy as well as Puppetville. Then there is the Gravedigger game. Drawn was about a LITTLE GIRL in a dangerous situation! I didnt see the OP complain about ANY of these others games that include the same kind of theme/subject matter. So, in my opinion, if the OP is going to request censorship on this game, the OP should scream censorship on all the rest the OP finds offensive and at least be CONSISTENT! If the OP would rather not be bothered to monitor all the other games that they find offensive then I suggest they find another game site and remove THEMSELF from BF.

This is my OPINION. Do I not have the right to express it as well?

Hypocrisy makes me

and before anyone blasts me saying something like the person has a low post count/ is new and might have not seen saome of the other games I mentioned/ etc. I checked and the OP's first dip in the forum was Sept.6,2008. Every single game I mentioned has been out since then.

I think this is very judgmental and assumes too much of the OP. regardless of when OP's "first dip in the pond" may have been, it doesnt mean they were present in BFG EVERY DAY since then, or even that the OP would have known of these games or bought these games or tried these games. Also, perhaps OP didnt find those other games offensive. These games are of relatively mild themes when compared to a game about abduction. 'creepy' games aren't neccesarily perverted or psychotic or have some form of basis in REALITY.

also by your logic, only YOU are allowed to express YOUR opinion and OP is not allowed, or their opinion is not valid because it does not conform to your ideas?

Purplerabbit
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
18,590 Posts

[Post New]by Purplerabbit on Oct 29, 09 12:32 PM
I bought the game after my demo and I am off to play some more.
I am curious as to why Helene is there, how long she has been there and how much the kidnapper knows.

erma711
Guppy
Guppy
107 Posts

[Post New]by erma711 on Oct 29, 09 12:58 PM

Offensive...............please give us all a break. Now are we being told what the majority can or cannot play........just like the fuss that is made over Christmas, children can't sign Christmas songs, some protest have been made about the mananger in the town square. Are we still living in the Good Old U.S.A?. Starting to look a lot like China or Russia. As everyone has said, if you don't like it don't play it, but leave my CHOICE ALONE!

monkeyface881
Manatee
Manatee
4,138 Posts

[Post New]by monkeyface881 on Oct 29, 09 1:39 PM
erma711 wrote:

Offensive...............please give us all a break. Now are we being told what the majority can or cannot play........just like the fuss that is made over Christmas, children can't sign Christmas songs, some protest have been made about the mananger in the town square. Are we still living in the Good Old U.S.A?. Starting to look a lot like China or Russia. As everyone has said, if you don't like it don't play it, but leave my CHOICE ALONE!

No-one is telling you what you can or cannot play. Not all of us are from USA, and no-one is trying to make choices for you. I think the content of this game IS something that can be considered offensive and you should respect that some people feel this way. I think the fact that this is a game about abduction, that you are forced to play the games of a psychopath and the fact that you are being watched by this psychopath is not only disturbing but it is also quite a vile and innapropriate subject for a game. This is my own opinion.

xshoshin
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
415 Posts

[Post New]by xshoshin on Oct 29, 09 2:42 PM
Actually I find all these comments hilarious. Everyone is so lathered up about one person's wanting a game removed. So what? They're entitled to their opinion and if Big Fish is actually going to start censoring over that, then we're all on the wrong site anyway. Let's wait for a real threat before we bring out all the hostile rhetoric.

Meanwhile, I have this question....what exactly is the abductor's right arm doing?

irishgreen
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by irishgreen on Oct 29, 09 4:19 PM
I played the demo and although I haven't bought it yet, see nothing wrong with the game. It's just a game.
It's like she was dumped in an old abandoned warehouse, trying to get out.
If it was even close to being real, would you stop and dress a maniquin?
Like I said in another thread, I could get that lost in my own basement LOL
to each his own--we are adult enough to decide for ourself if its a game we want to play or not.

annetterider
Guppy
Guppy
194 Posts

[Post New]by annetterider on Oct 29, 09 10:31 PM
[b][i] I don't know what you are going on about. What was the problem. There is more offensive things on TV, newspapers etc. There was NO violence no bad language. I think you are going a bit overboard. IT IS JUST A GAME. Yes it it about being kidnapped, it does happen you know. I thought it was a good game, but far too short. Do you also think that the Devil out of Slingo should be taken off, as it may offended others, I DONT THINK SO.
Just don't play them. Yes you are entitled to your opinion, but as for taking these sort of games off NO WAY, keep 'em coming I say.
Sorry if I have upset anyone. Nothing personal.

KathyB
Squid
Squid
73 Posts

This Game Is Extremely Offensive!

[Post New]by KathyB on Oct 29, 09 10:39 PM
tinor wrote:I am surprised and shocked with the subject matter of this game. Big Fish is more of a family game site, and should be ashamed to offer this. It should be removed from this site.

Maybe the games should be rated like Movies are. Just a suggestion

rentonwa
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,075 Posts

[Post New]by rentonwa on Oct 29, 09 11:03 PM
SKYEBLUETOO wrote:Yeah --- Who's Bella ?? LOL

I didn't find this game "offensive" but very disturbing !! Kind of made me sick to my stomach. The idea of a man "snatching" a woman and then watching her try to attain her freedom while making snide remarks is in the "sicko" department to me. Sure won't buy it.

I don't believe it should be taken off this site, but everyone to their own.

My sentiment, exactly. Thanks for putting it in these words, Skyeblue.
I started playing the game and found it disturbing. Not scary, not offensive, but very disturbing. The scene with dressing up the male doll in women's clothing in the guy's garage was disturbing to me. That's when I stopped playing, because to me it implied that the guy not only abducts and mentally tortures women, but also dresses up like a woman to do who knows what.
As a matter of fact, I was so angry, I was thinking about cancelling my BF membership. And don't misunderstand me, I have nothing against guys dressing up like a women, that's their business. It's just the whole concept of abduction, mental torture combined with the dressing up.

After reading all the comments about liking the game I realized that I am in the minority, which is ok with me. If people like this game and want to play it, it's their business.

But please, don't question my or the values of those that find this game disturbing -it's all a matter of values and we all have our own.

What I would like to say to Tinor is that most of the games here are nothing like this one - they're fun and entertaining and usually very well done.

monkeyface881
Manatee
Manatee
4,138 Posts

[Post New]by monkeyface881 on Oct 30, 09 11:14 AM

Well said rentonwa I agree with you.

[Post New]by aliciarose111 on Oct 30, 09 11:46 AM
To me, this is just a game trying to fit into the Saw movie mold. Same voice, same "trap a victim then watch as they solve the puzzles" storyline. Seeing as how Saw just released the umpteenth movie in the series (not to mention the tons of knockoffs), there's obviously a demand for this type of entertainment.
I am NOT a **** fan, however I DO like suspense games and after playing this for 20 minutes of the hour trial, I'm buying it.
As a 38 yr old mother with a 15 yr old daughter, I don't find it offensive in the least. I'm perfectly happy knowing it's just a game I can play and thanks to Big Fish, I have the option to do so if I want to.

Misty40
Clownfish
Clownfish
923 Posts

[Post New]by Misty40 on Oct 30, 09 3:06 PM
vicalana wrote:
Misty40 wrote:I'm gonna play the demo. I would not have paid this game any attention if I had not seen "This Game Is Extremely Offensive!"..LOL. Sinking Island got a few ,so needless to say, I bought it out of curiosity ( great game btw). Ok...I'm off to play the demo!

Enjoy!!!!
Thank you..lol. I've played about 30 minutes of the demo. I don't care for the graphics much.

april445
Guppy
Guppy
140 Posts

[Post New]by april445 on Oct 31, 09 12:13 PM
Hey bfgBering, I think what you are seeing is all your little fishy fans being protective. We all think you are "DA BOMB" and can't stand for anyone to criticize you.
Also I think most of us are tired of a few nay-sayers spoiling our choices whether it be on BFG of in the music shop, etc.

[Post New]by baskers on Oct 31, 09 12:25 PM
I dont post a lot on this site, however, I think this is an excellent atmospheric game. Well done BFG

[Post New]by Agenais on Nov 3, 09 11:26 AM
Hate to sound stupid but....what is RTR??? (the most beloved of HOGs....)
I checked through the R listing and can't find anything that matches RTR...searched my mind too (ha ha ha it was a quick search!)....can you please tell me what that game is? RTR.....

by Poppa47 on Oct 27, 09 8:48 AM
I agree only partially with Tinor that BFG is a family oriented site. There are a ton of games where the subject matter involves murder and all sorts of intrigue, even when the game protaginist is cartoonish. RTR, the most beloved of HOGs, has multiple murders exposed and no one found it offensive. I'd draw the line at rape and excessive physical torture in a game. Otherwise, should the thread imply that novels and movies using kidnapping as a theme also be taboo subject matter??

Go to: