phatkhat
Stingray
Stingray
5,001 Posts

Re:The Dracula Files comments and reviews

[Post New]by phatkhat on Nov 12, 09 11:32 PM
Okay, I'm weird. I played the demo and I actually really liked it! I didn't think the objects were too hard to find for the most part - though I had problems with the hotspot for the eyeglasses. I did skip the chess game in the interest of time, but that was the only mini game I had problems with. Actually, most of them that I got to were pretty easy.

I'd give this a 3-1/2 out of 5 as it is. Not crazy about the music, but it didn't drive me crazy. The cartoons, meh. But the HOG scenes were quite well done. And I would like voice acting, but still didn't find the dialog excessive. For me, the story IS the game. No story, no game, LOL.

I do think this one is a cut above a lot of the HOGs we've gotten lately, and would be interested to see what comes about in a sequel, since the developer is trying hard to get feedback and address issues.

[Post New]by dragonfly2287 on Nov 13, 09 12:32 AM
dissapointing. big fan of the dracula story. expected so much more. 2 thumbs down for me. couldn't wait til trial was over...

[Post New]by VladimirDraco on Nov 13, 09 7:56 AM
phatkhat wrote:Okay, I'm weird. I played the demo and I actually really liked it! I didn't think the objects were too hard to find for the most part - though I had problems with the hotspot for the eyeglasses. I did skip the chess game in the interest of time, but that was the only mini game I had problems with. Actually, most of them that I got to were pretty easy.

I'd give this a 3-1/2 out of 5 as it is. Not crazy about the music, but it didn't drive me crazy. The cartoons, meh. But the HOG scenes were quite well done. And I would like voice acting, but still didn't find the dialog excessive. For me, the story IS the game. No story, no game, LOL.

I do think this one is a cut above a lot of the HOGs we've gotten lately, and would be interested to see what comes about in a sequel, since the developer is trying hard to get feedback and address issues.

I don't think you're weird.

[Post New]by VladimirDraco on Nov 13, 09 11:46 AM
dragonfly2287 wrote:dissapointing. big fan of the dracula story. expected so much more. 2 thumbs down for me. couldn't wait til trial was over...

What specifically was disappointing to you, dragonfly?

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

[Post New]by Howatch on Nov 13, 09 5:01 PM
Hi VladimirDraco,

I'll definitely try out a new build of the game. Alas, I'm one of those where the graphics were just too dark/grainy/blurry for me to enjoyably continue the game. I have an ATI Radeon HD 2400 video card.

Looking forward to the new version. I spent 16 years in the Napa Valley Wine Country and would enjoy a game in that setting.

[Post New]by VladimirDraco on Nov 13, 09 6:55 PM
Howatch wrote:Hi VladimirDraco,

I'll definitely try out a new build of the game. Alas, I'm one of those where the graphics were just too dark/grainy/blurry for me to enjoyably continue the game. I have an ATI Radeon HD 2400 video card.

Looking forward to the new version. I spent 16 years in the Napa Valley Wine Country and would enjoy a game in that setting.

Thanks. Ever hear of Castello di Amorosa?

[Post New]by jetlee01 on Nov 13, 09 7:38 PM
My self I like the game,but thats just me. I do have a promblem with the circut breaker I put every t hing in and the lights won't come on

Edited on 11/13/2009 at 7:41:11 PM PST

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

[Post New]by Howatch on Nov 14, 09 5:53 PM
VladimirDraco wrote:
Howatch wrote:Hi VladimirDraco,

Certainly; it's in Calistoga.

[Post New]by VladimirDraco on Nov 16, 09 7:00 AM
Howatch wrote:
VladimirDraco wrote:

Certainly; it's in Calistoga.

Was probably the inspiration for Draco's Winery.

meanbusiness
Guppy
Guppy
186 Posts

[Post New]by meanbusiness on Nov 26, 09 10:42 PM
VladimirDraco wrote:
CiCiRR wrote:And the dialogue - don't game developers get it? Not ALL of us want the stupid storylines.

CiCiRR, my game developer minions would like to know what it is you DO want from a hidden object adventure game, if not storylines. Thanks.

I just wanted to tell all of the wonderful fishies in all the ponds that I value their comments and reviews. With that said, I also want to tell you all how I feel about the games that I buy. I love to read and I have an extensive collection of books of all kinds. That is also the way I feel about BF games. When i buy a game I usually play for much longer than the average game player. I am retired, so when I get up in the morning, after feeding and communicating with my multitude of animals, dogs and cats, i turn on my computer, check BF for the new games and then pick one of my purchased games to play several levals or chapters. I usually buy 4 or 5 games a month, unless something is so awesome, i.e. Siberia or MCF games or a multitude of wonderful others, that I can not resist.

It is just a joy to spend several hours of my time, before I have to face many tasks that I should have done when I was working, and now have the time to finally get them done, to take time for myself, and along the way, keep, hone and improve my mind. I love the acessibility, price and variety of all the games on this site, and I find that being a member of BF helps me keep my sanity, when kids, grandkids, husband or life in general seems to be closing in. I really want to thank BF for the opportunity to be able to afford this pleasure in my senior years.

I am downloading now and will give it a try. Hidden objects should be just that. Story lines for me are enjoyable. However, some of the fishies just want to rush through. I would suggest match 3 or strategy games for those who like the fast paced challenges.

shawk
Manatee
Manatee
4,143 Posts

[Post New]by shawk on Dec 22, 09 12:45 PM
Hi Vlad,nice to see you care about your customers. BF has the best CS ever and it is good to find others who take it to heart. Was on the fence as to which game to buy next,guess it is yours.Stay with BF they are the ONLY site I buy from. Bye. off to purchase.

scarlet_11dy6
Flounder
Flounder
2,031 Posts

[Post New]by scarlet_11dy6 on Jan 2, 10 2:46 AM
So Vlad....where's the new build at?

TnTexas
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by TnTexas on Jun 9, 10 6:34 PM
The following comments are based solely on the demo:

In my opinion, this one is borderline bad and just-okay. It's pretty much a straight HOG with minipuzzles so if you prefer iHOGs (like I do), this one starts out with a strike against it. The HOG scenes tend more towards busy, cluttered scenes rather than junkpiles (a plus in my book); but they're dark, a bit grainy, and many of the items are extremely small (taking back the plus). Thankfully there's an unlimited hint system that refills quickly (a positive) so you're not stuck forever looking for something so miniscule an electron microscope would have trouble finding it. I found the minipuzzles to not only be a bit different than the ones I usually run across, but an effort was made to incorporate them into the storyline as well (another plus).

I played the game in the relaxed mode rather than the timed one so I have no idea whether or not random clicking affects the timer. All I know is that it freezes and darkens the screen for a couple of seconds. The storyline is a bit disjointed (a negative in my book) and can't be skipped (fine in my book, but not so for others; add the fact that it must be read and some will find it a downright negative).

So ... two pluses and 2 negatives cancel each other out; right? Which would leave us with just a so-so game - nothing really outstanding, but not really horrible either - especially if all you're looking for is a straight HOG.

rakuroks
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by rakuroks on Nov 21, 10 6:44 AM
Omg!!!!!! MollyMeow took the EXACT words right out of my mouth:
THE PITS!!!!!!
Not even for $2.99, not even for FREE! My leisure time is precious and this game is just an unpleasant waste of it. To echo the thoughts of my fellow gamers- TOO SMALL, objects too ill defined, INTERMINABLE STOOOOOPIT DIALOGUE. I'll be deleting it.
Just for the record...
rakuroks

Bink_In_AK
Minnow
Minnow
237 Posts

[Post New]by Bink_In_AK on Nov 21, 10 10:00 AM
Definitely not for me.

Bobbie53
Squid
Squid
75 Posts

[Post New]by Bobbie53 on Nov 21, 10 11:48 AM
I purchased the Daily Deal The Dracula files.

It is enjoyably easy, fun, and the storyline was interesting. Most of the puzzles can be solved without assistance,

Some of the objects were hard to find - no biggie.

The hint recharges, there are hidden object areas within the hidden object room.

The screen dims if you click too often without clicking on an object from the list.
I like this better than being punished or threatened.

I recommend this game and believe it is well worh the $2.99.

ktk514
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

[Post New]by ktk514 on Nov 21, 10 1:50 PM
Because it was the $2.99 game, I decided to try it - but as others have said, you can't fast forward, so after 4 minutes (seemed much longer), I deleted it. Never did get to the actual game part. I don't know why some game developers don't understand that some of us just do not care (at all) about the story.

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Nov 21, 10 1:59 PM
VladimirDraco wrote:
dragonfly2287 wrote:dissapointing. big fan of the dracula story. expected so much more. 2 thumbs down for me. couldn't wait til trial was over...

What specifically was disappointing to you, dragonfly?

Although you might get some helpful hints from members here for future game development, you should probably take a lot of these posts with a grain of salt. There's just no way you could possibly satisfy every member in here. Some enjoy a lengthy and involved story, while others just enjoy wandering around in point and click games. I saw members complaining about the dialog in The Great Gatsby... and I doubt you could improve on Fitzgerald.

It's nice to see a developer in the forums though.

[Post New]by Rhodesians on Nov 22, 10 5:11 AM
Too many long winded cartoons and dialog.Not enough game.

[Post New]by VladimirDraco on Nov 22, 10 10:11 AM
You can hit ESC to skip dialogue. Cheers!

Go to: