Re:Racial Profiling within the game why?

[Post New]by txladywattitude on Dec 5, 09 8:10 AM
Are you suggesting that only a white woman can be a reformed thief?..Seems to me most people worry too much about color..why can't we just see a person. And just for the record all people have good and bad..and yes there are reformed black men as well...Please everyone..STOP LOOKING FOR TROUBLE WHEN THERE ISN'T Any!..

[Post New]by txladywattitude on Dec 5, 09 8:12 AM
LOL..at fifty four I can say that we do slow down and weaken..sad but true.

polexia
Herring
Herring
389 Posts

[Post New]by polexia on Dec 5, 09 6:37 PM
I guess you are right but hopefully we are living longer and more healthfully these days. I suppose if you're a villager and don't have access to the best food/medical etc. you're not going to be doing very well even at 30 It's sad the way the body actually starts to go downhill in a person's 30's.

ceretrea
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by ceretrea on Dec 7, 09 12:56 PM
And if the 'thief' had been white? No uproar I hear you say! Racial profiling = Black men/women cannot be portrayed as anything bad or evil...yet there are surely blackmen/women who are bad or evil? There are black murderers, liars, thieves, muggers etc etc But apparently its only okay to be called evil if you are a white male.

Many years ago in certain parts of the world it was perfectly acceptable to be portrayed as a lowly second class citizen...if you were black. Now we have role reversal. Its called positive discrimination.

What it boils down to is that people of colour are not 100% angelic, a superior master race etc. So can we all stop treating them as though they are? These days a thief or murder is more likely to be portrayed as the ever burdened white male so as not to upset anybody. Not really fair is it.

So lets be realistic instead and as a thief or murderer can be any colour, lets portray them as whatever colour we feel like? Ahhhh, thats better...an acceptance of the norms of reality instead of idealistic social fashion.

Now we can go back to having fun.

[Post New]by spiritsdancer on Dec 10, 09 7:06 PM
If there is any stereotyping going on in the game, it isn't about color but about behaviors. Which in the case of a thief or a reformed thief ( never mind what color ) the stereotype was a funnily accurate albeit a little over-dramatic portrayal of the type of behaviors you would see in a comedic movie of a thief or reformed thief.

It wasn't about color in my opinion, it was about behavior and if you went to a prison, you would see a lot of this type of behavior from a prisoner of any color and/or creed.

It's like trying to compare what a wealthy person should appear like. Behavior typing isn't racial, it's a generalization of a socially accepted behavioral commonality. Again, not a color commonality but a behavioral.

[Post New]by owlmadness on Jan 1, 10 7:33 PM
All I have to say is you people are too funny. It's a game. I personally don't even read the letters from the people except down towards the bottom where it tells what I will be looking for. I didn't even realize the person wanting the flashlights was a black reformed thief. But come on...relax. It seems that racial profiling will be found by some people no matter what. If you are so offended by the game then don't play it. And frankly in this day & age & the hate on anything related to smoking I was more taken aback by the ashtrays, lighters & matches.

Silly...just plain silly.

[Post New]by Mzlady202 on Jan 15, 10 6:02 PM
Yup, it's the tenants of stupid racial stereotyping hidden in a stupid game. It's sad this day in age it persist even in the most minute, trivial things. However if we keep ignoring ignorance, it shall persist. Therefore kuddos to the keen witted poster that acknowledged it.

tredzwater
Minnow
Minnow
231 Posts

[Post New]by tredzwater on Aug 9, 10 2:34 PM
Sorry to necro this thread but I couldn't help laughing my head off.

Someone who "steals" 20 flashlights isn't a thief, he or she is a kleptomaniac with a flashlight obsession. Kleptomaniacs are generally stereotyped as white, middle-aged, middle-class women so the developers of Gardenscapes are boldly striking a blow against this vicious stereotype by presenting an aged, black male; the absolute antithesis of what is usually seen.

Kudos to Playrix for their courage in breaking a pervasive societal prejudice! I'm sure they put as much time and thought into this courageous action as some people have, understandably but mistakenly, thought they put into the inaccurate reading of this grave situation.

(Now, don't we all feel silly?)

gum_nut
Seahorse
Seahorse
31 Posts

[Post New]by gum_nut on Jan 22, 11 9:49 PM
i didnt notice anywhere that the flashlight guy was African/American!First time I knew they were the only people of color in the world!!!Get over it, just play the game and enjoy.By the way Austin is English ,I didnt notice America mentioned anywhere yet!

[Post New]by aussiegrandma on May 23, 11 5:15 AM
Wow!! After reading all that was written previously I think I need to learn how to play the violin!!

bluedage
Seahorse
Seahorse
36 Posts

[Post New]by bluedage on May 15, 12 8:38 PM
I found it WAY more offensive to have hookahs in the game and have the young children wanting them than the thief being black. I mean Really Big Fish? If this is supposed to be for adults and kids- that is totally unacceptable. Just my two cents worth. And it is in both of the Gardenscapes games. If I had caught before I bought the games- I would not have bought them. As it is, I will not be sharing these with family.

[Post New]by Blooming_Lilac on Jun 12, 12 11:08 PM
Wow, this thread's really old, but I just wanted to say I love this game and logged in to see what, if anything, people thought about it. I didn't have a screensaver until now. It makes me smile to watch Austin in the garden with the dog, watering the flowers, painting, talking on the phone, etc.

I was very burned out on HOGs, however, I love decorating games. In fact, I enjoyed the demo so much that I bought the sequel, too. I'll play it when I'm finished here.

Please don't take offense to my comments. I couldn't resist posting my thoughts. When I played the flashlight scene, Austin made a comment to the effect that "20 flashlights would be enough" or "find 20 flashlights" so I instantly thought the reformed thief had been stealing since he was a child. That was funny to me as I used to eat grapes in the produce section of the grocery store when my mother wasn't looking. I'm a middle-aged Caucasian woman. I didn't think twice about the character in the game being a black man. I'm sorry that part of the game offended some people.

In truth, most serial killers are white males. I don't find it offensive to play games in which white people are villains. There is good and bad in all of us. I certainly didn't find that scene to reflect the developers as racists...

What bothered me the most while playing against the clock was how impatient people are in actuality. When the characters were getting upset about having to wait a few seconds, my thoughts wandered. It's sad that some people are that way. I didn't look at the characters that much as I was preoccupied with finding the coins for bonus money to decorate the garden.

At any rate, I don't see the color of people's skin, but their actions when I'm around them. This game was so much fun that I'm sorry I didn't play it before now. There was something similar to it on FB and I thought I'd get too bored playing the H0 scenes. I liked the little extras that were thrown in to make the rooms a bit different, i.e., the pearls and candies, etc.

I switched from relaxed play to "against the clock" and somehow missed the cut scene regarding the buttons. They were just there in the room.

Happy gaming!

Qismet
Minnow
Minnow
206 Posts

[Post New]by Qismet on Mar 10, 13 6:50 PM
oh, please. . .

[Post New]by meandmyhunny on May 10, 13 5:52 PM
the racial profiling is the guy with the turban buying knives and such I thought it was just about right Sorry but....considering the Boston marathon,9/11 etc
but yeah don't make the ''African American man IS painted in a bad light

Go to: