Re:The Otherside: Realm of Eons comments and reviews

[Post New]by ChocolatStarfish on Dec 8, 09 1:00 AM
Clematis_es wrote:I agree with most reviewers, the game is very easy compared with most. But, then, the storyline is interesting and coherent, the graphics are wonderful, and last, but not least, one does not get frustrated as with other HOGs.
It would be a great Christmas gift of a child and it is a must for parents, grandparents, uncles & aunts, anyone caring for a child during a the holidays.
All in all, I do recommend it. I bought it and have enjoyed it.

I want to agree with you - this game is a fairytale and the Christmas is very soon so this is a good present for everyone who like miracles!

biomix
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,854 Posts

[Post New]by biomix on Dec 8, 09 6:16 AM
I really like this game. Some days you just want to la la la la your way through a game.
It's bright, not too difficult, good story line and good minis.
If you want to just sit back, relax and take your time without having to expand your brain on days where you just can't, this is a great game to play.
I bought it. Thank you BFG.

[Post New]by isis1947 on Dec 8, 09 10:17 AM
I bought this game yesterday and have had nothing but trouble with it,Couldnt get it to change the character name,so played as miranda, After playing for seven hours, it froze, I removed it from my comp and re-installed it. . It wouldnt let me play as miranda so managed to create a new character.Had to start from the beginning. Tried it again today and the same thing happened.It keeps on feezing. It totally mucked up my comp, lost all my icons and then the screen went black.Really was enjoing the story-line and colourful graphics.Is there a glitch in the programming somewhere?.

88blyth
Catfish
Catfish
1,705 Posts

[Post New]by 88blyth on Dec 8, 09 12:50 PM
i really enjoyed this game, i have just finished it, it seemed to take ages and i read all the story line, the only trouble i had was when the game froze once in the fairground scene, i had to turn my pc off and on again, but other than that it played fine...

zorrogumbo
Clownfish
Clownfish
550 Posts

[Post New]by zorrogumbo on Dec 8, 09 5:45 PM
just played the demo and found this game very nice graphics, very boring for the search items, they tell you what to do all the time with the sprakles ... my cursor was very slow , so was the game . good for a 8 yr old child.

phatkhat
Stingray
Stingray
5,001 Posts

[Post New]by phatkhat on Dec 8, 09 9:31 PM
I really enjoyed the storyline, and the graphics are good. But it is kind of an old-style HOG with minis and some very simple interactivity. Extremely linear, and the old thing of having the nice young lady help everyone with their tasks - finding stuff. Not a bad game for a pretty much straight HOG. Not much adventure here.

I don't get the "childish" part, though. It reminds me a lot of Mysteryville, which I really loved. It's old hat, but I didn't take it as a kiddie game at all. There are some touches which only an adult would understand. Like the old stereotypical Jewish pawnbroker - Simon, no less. (I am guessing this is another eastern European import, from some of the objects.)

I'd like to play it through, but not until it finds it's way to the sale rack, LOL.

ETA: Hum. I played 4 levels in the demo time. I did read all the dialog, and looked at all the scenery. (I appreciate the clean look - NO junkpiles here. And the item lists are not mind-numbingly long. You look for relevant items to the scene, and they are in normal places, mostly.) I figured I was quite a ways into the game.

Then I looked at the walkthrough. 24 levels. Looks like for me that would be a good 6 hours of play. Maybe I will rethink a purchase. I really got interested in the story. For me, if there isn't a good story that the play moves along, then it isn't much of a game. I know some don't care about the story, but it's half the fun for me. This isn't as challenging as I like, but there are times when I only want to relax... Not as good as Cherai, but still one I will consider.

Edited on 12/08/2009 at 11:53:10 PM PST

michelle_hdpc
Squid
Squid
72 Posts

[Post New]by michelle_hdpc on Dec 9, 09 7:18 AM
Downloading now, will give it a try, my computer is awful slowwwwww today though.

[Post New]by Seelybrook on Dec 9, 09 3:27 PM
I bought this game after the demonstration. I enjoyed the graphics, the story line and combining objects to make other objects. I don't remember the music so I guess it didn't bother this grandma. When the people were talking it went so slow I wanted to scream. I realize though that some people will need more time so I just have to put up with it. Most of the mini games I skipped because i didn't like them. I enjoyed the game and am glad I bought it.

april445
Guppy
Guppy
140 Posts

[Post New]by april445 on Dec 10, 09 1:31 AM
Well I'm a grandma and I loved the game. All the good things everyone has said and it ran nice and long.
I guess I'm just regressing back into my childhood and I love it. So how soon do I get to stop being a squid

wvsandy
Squid
Squid
71 Posts

[Post New]by wvsandy on Dec 10, 09 7:11 AM
I've only played a couple of scenes in this game, and have to agree with those who have said that it would be a good game to play with a small child. For me, however, I found it to be a bit boring. I won't be buying this one.

[Post New]by ILoveLucyRicardo on Dec 10, 09 10:45 AM
I played the demo and I really liked the graphics on this game; however, when I went out of it and then tried to get back into it it kept replaying the same scene over and over again...must have been a glitch...and when that finally stopped there were hesitations every once in a while...I do not think I will buy this one.

scarlet_11dy6
Flounder
Flounder
2,031 Posts

[Post New]by scarlet_11dy6 on Dec 11, 09 5:31 AM
Was it just me or did that creepy little Jovie look like he was giving you the finger when he floated around on his cloud for too much clicking?

Graphix were nice, hints & skips didn't take too long to load but they weren't quick, either. I hate tangrams & when you had to spin them to fit it seemed like they spun too fast on you & flew past where you wanted them to be. The way the HOs were presented was innovative & it switched btwn words & pictures. Some of the mechanical stuff I still don't know what I collected b/c of that. For the most part collecting the HOs had a purpose (to fix something), but you just threw a handful at the sparkly spot & voila! done. The only 2 things you had to put together in the demo was the clock & the computer tower & those were obviously EZ. The HOs were sort of rapid fire click b/c they were very EZ to find as well. That shoving things around in the drawer should've said so & they stole that from Sleepy Hollow's minigames.

It just seemed like this game was taking 4ever to cut to the chase. It was probably done purposely b/c just as the storyline began to progress the demo was done. Don't know if this bodes well for length. I don't know if I'd put it on a Maybe list b/c either I'm getting smarter or HOGs are getting easier

PS> Wouldn't a kidnapped kid be sort of not appropriate for kids?

Edited on 12/11/2009 at 5:33:05 AM PST

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Dec 13, 09 2:33 AM
scarlet_11dy6 wrote:
PS> Wouldn't a kidnapped kid be sort of not appropriate for kids?

I found the whole story and theme to be quite dark- so I don't understand why people keep claiming this is a kids game- so there is a talking bear, that is the only thing really.

I found Cherai and games like Treasure Seekers to be more fairytale kids stories.

Laflamme
Stingray
Stingray
4,512 Posts

[Post New]by Laflamme on Dec 18, 09 9:11 AM
I got booted out after chapter 6 during the exposition what happened two years ago. Since there are apparently 25 chapters it makes me assume about 4 hours of gameplay, which is good for an ihog.

Yes, most of the items are very easy to find - but that's actually a nice change over items the size of 4.5 pixels in dark gray on a black background. Some are still tougher to find, and one spiral book I clicked already several times but it only gave me credit for it after I used a hint and then clicked again. Another nice change: When you see a screen rather full of chunk there is a believable reason given. Also, most items seem to be "in sync" with their surroundings - find antiques stuff in an antiques shop, or shoddier things in a pawn shop.

Minigames are easy as well, that rail cart was a nice idea.

Forgot to add two beefs:
* Up to Chapter 6 only one level played in that other dimension.
* Dialogue is not spoken, you have to read it yourself.

Bottom Line: I'll keep it in game manager and will buy it someday, although not immediately.

Edited on 12/18/2009 at 9:12:50 AM PST

Purplerabbit
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
18,590 Posts

[Post New]by Purplerabbit on Jan 4, 10 10:28 AM
I've just played my 1 hour demo and it seems to me this game is very counter-intuitive. You don't have to THINK about anything in the game, everything is spelled out for you. I don't think I'll be buying even though I only got to chapter 9 (I do not rush through demos, I play them at the same speed I would if I had bought the game and had all the time in the world).
If you enjoy IHOGs more than HOGS, this is probably not your game.
Too easy.

Edited on 01/04/2010 at 10:48:33 AM PST

Anna1782
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by Anna1782 on May 21, 10 12:25 AM
I think this game is pretty good! I bought it for my boys and I spent 2 days in silense! What a miracle!

TnTexas
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by TnTexas on May 31, 10 9:42 PM
The following comments are based solely on the demo:

I liked this one - didn't LOVE it, but definitely liked it. The graphics were pretty good. The storyline intrigued me, and me laugh in a couple of places. I liked the twist on the HOG - searching for objects that then combined to make an object you needed to use. Made for a nice, simple iHOG experience. I liked the fact that although the scenes were a bit busy, there were no traditional junk piles to search through for the objects. All in all, it seemed like a pleasant way to spend a few hours so I'll definitely put it on my "Strongly Consider" list for the day when my "Absolutely Want" list is entirely filled. (Or a special for it comes along.)

dollyflower
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,373 Posts

[Post New]by dollyflower on Nov 11, 10 12:38 PM
Loved this one. Nice and relaxing and not too challenging. Good for kids and older folks. Graphics were very good and I loved the colors. I was sorry when it was over. I'd like to see more of this type. Thanks

[Post New]by cj4yourhealth on Mar 6, 11 11:23 AM
I am at the end and I am suppose to throw the personal items into the porthole on the chair and it will not allow me to do it. The picture of him will not go there. Has anyone had this problem/ and what can I do, its a shame the game is almost finish and I am having this proplem.

Meritre
Guppy
Guppy
177 Posts

[Post New]by Meritre on Jun 27, 11 8:21 PM
Played the full hour of the demo, and quite enjoyed it. Every time you help fix something, you feel more drawn into the story. The graphics are nice, and I'd really like to see where the story goes. A probably-buy for me.

Go to: