Robilyn
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,962 Posts

Re:Mystery Case Files®: Dire Grove™ comments and reviews

[Post New]by Robilyn on Dec 12, 09 11:03 PM
Well I just finished the game, and I loved every minute of it. I didn't read any of the text, or watch the videos. I will do that on the next go round. I have something new to look foward to.

Sailorben
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by Sailorben on Dec 13, 09 12:48 AM
I just finished the game (6.99 version). I had a minimum of help from the walkthrough, just in a couple of tight places where I'd spun wheels for too long without progress.

I thought the game was quite good, if a little short apart from the videos, cut scenes and mini-games. As always with MCF games the graphics were excellent for the hidden object hunts. The mini-games are ok if you enjoy that sort of puzzle, but you can get those anywhere. My first encounter with MCF games was Ravenhearst, and I fell in love with those unique Rube Goldberg minigames, clever and challenging and silly and fun to do. Those have now disappeared, replaced by rather ordinary puzzles. I still go back to Ravenhearst now and then, primarily just to play the mini-games. I was disappointed in DG just because of that.

Edited on 12/13/2009 at 12:50:09 AM PST

lizdanny
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,252 Posts

[Post New]by lizdanny on Dec 13, 09 3:43 AM
I am disappointed with Dire Grove, not what I expected. No way as good as RTR or Madam Fate. Disappointed no morphing in the $6.99 version and far too many hidden objects (which I do not like.) I bought it expecting more Puzzles.

I read in November that the game would be the same but there would be extras in the CE game which I find not to be true.

[Post New]by LuvDemGames on Dec 13, 09 5:51 AM
Fantastic game, kudos to BFG. I loved every minute of it; in spite of looking for potato chips that weren't there and trying to knock off the bunny's head. I had purchased the $6.99 version. I didn't want it to end but couldn't resist playing at every possible moment. The graphics are great, the story line is engrossing, the puzzles are not too hard or too easy. I resorted to the walkthrough a couple of times when I just couldn't make any progress. I just wish there were more games like this, I would buy every one.

[Post New]by minijaxgrl on Dec 13, 09 6:19 AM
It was an okay game. It wasn't as good as I had hoped, but still entertained me for a few hours. Not nearly enough mini puzzles I thought. But oh well I guess. Can't wait for the next MCF though!

polexia
Herring
Herring
389 Posts

[Post New]by polexia on Dec 13, 09 7:06 AM
I thought the story was pretty spare. The video tapes should have been more integral to the storyline instead of just giving a couple of hints here and there. You should have had to watch all of them to solve a greater mystery or puzzle. As it was you didn't need to watch them to solve anything, just gather them since the Crime Computer gave you the symbols you needed.

The footage was strange. One second we're seeing everything through the student's video camera and the next we're an unseen eye watching everything from afar. The actors were just okay but some of the dialogue was kind of silly and a couple of things the students did were just TDTL. Like when the first student had glowing eyes and the one girl is like, "Um I guess I'll stay here," and Alison was all, "Stay here and watch him." Yeah, he's got glowing eyes and he's out in the snow digging like a madman and I'm gonna stay there alone to watch him. Right. The students just didn't look SCARED enough. They looked mildly curious most of the time and the guy with the glasses kept goofing around a lot.

The ending was a fizzle. I still had showshoes left in my inventory, too. It was sort of, "...that's it? O_o"

I've seen better puzzles and mini games in the Nancy Drew series.

The best thing about MCF is really the high quality graphics. There could have been lots more hidden object scenes, though. Also that super annoying typewriter sound effect could be gotten rid of.

Some of the music doesn't quite match the story but it's spooky and good to an extent.

The little glimpses of the "banshee" are again just up to Nancy Drew game par, nothing really worth writing home about.

Cooking the meat in the microwave was a nice touch, there should have been more little things like that to do.

There could have been more on Alison's cell phone to play with or find. Many areas just felt like they weren't used enough.

The banshee at the end was disappointment city. She doesn't even talk or anything. You don't feel sorry for her but you also don't feel threatened. She makes the same face every time you add an element.

The best parts were the integration of the students in the game. Not the videos, but the renderings of them encased in ice. The art was just beautiful and the coloring and everything was high quality. The students looked like artwork but also like actual people. I wish there had been a lot more of that.

It was a good game but I'm glad I didn't spend $20 on it.

BSF0819
Flounder
Flounder
2,129 Posts

[Post New]by BSF0819 on Dec 13, 09 9:11 AM
I finished the 6.99 version and I enjoyed it but not as much as I would like. It's definitely not as complex as Return to Ravenhearst (RTR). In RTR there seem to be more to do and in this one, it was very straightforward and it seemed shorter than RTR. It's not a big deal but it just didn't take as long to finish, maybe 5 hours not 10 to 15 as one description said. The hidden object scenes were very cool and at least the game had a nice amount of them. One thing that bothered me was how small the town was. The town has a museum and a grocery store and that's it. That's a town??? I wish the town was a little larger with a few more buildings like a cafe or some other shops to explore in. Even one more building would have sufficed but I guess I have to admit that the farmhouse and cottage and the other locations made up for it. The video footage was strange but since it has never been done before, I have to say that it was creative on how they did that. I guess I have mixed feelings about the game but overall it is still highly recommendable and I am still glad I purchased it.

lidybel
Seahorse
Seahorse
36 Posts

[Post New]by lidybel on Dec 13, 09 10:11 AM
I love this game.Bougth it after trail and for me its a big Thanks

lorialcorn2006
Guppy
Guppy
126 Posts

Great Game one of the best YAY

[Post New]by lorialcorn2006 on Dec 13, 09 10:41 AM
I just had to stop by and say how much I enjoyed this game . I just finished it and I had ended up making it a bit more challenging because I was collecting video tapes but not putting them in the crime computer until the last part of the game . I had to figure out the whole cell phone number on my own because I just did not think to run the films through the crime computer and was looking for a video player lying around lol . anyway it made for a fantastic fun time and Im about to go and recommend it on my blog and at other places . Thank you so much big fish for this game its was right up my ally with its spooky content and atmosphere .
I also wanted to thank the game makers and artist you guys are fantastic and sooooo talented . thanks again
lori

[Post New]by crazybluegirl200 on Dec 13, 09 1:35 PM
I'm only on chapter 3 in the game and I love it so far. It's not too hard and not too easy. I like that it isn't just a hidden object game, there is an adventure aspect to it also.
In the past I have played the Nancy Drew games which I think are insanely hard and not much fun. This is way more fun and I might play some more MCF games.

rlk0045
Minnow
Minnow
262 Posts

[Post New]by rlk0045 on Dec 13, 09 2:26 PM
I thought about this morphing issue over night. The more I think about it the more angry am getting. In my viewpoint morphing is a very important part of the game and if I had know that morphing would not be included in the cheaper game I would have purched the $19.95 version instead.

msmithnc
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
439 Posts

[Post New]by msmithnc on Dec 13, 09 3:27 PM
I have to weigh in on the complaints about the CE version having different gameplay than the cheaper version. I waited until I could get the demo version to try the game. But after a half-hour of play and reading the posts about morphing objects (which I loved in Madame Fate) i decided to pay for the CE version. I'm not sorry! I've been buying computer games long enough to remember when they cost 40 or 50 bucks when they first came out, and you waited until they came DOWN to $20! I've played some Big Fish games lately that seemed a little short, but I can't say that about this one. I'm not even out of chapter 1 yet. And I have found the puzzles to be a perfect blend of challenging but not impossible (or impossible to figure out what you're supposed to be doing without help). I also like figuring out what I'm supposed to be doing with the stuff I pick up. This game is a worthy successor to the other MCF games (I've loved them all).

[Post New]by goodyear1998 on Dec 13, 09 3:38 PM
just finished the game and loved it. disappointed that BF were charging so much for collectors edition as not many of us can afford to pay so much and are missing out on a lot of features. So much for the season of good will!!!! Merry xmas all you fishes

tookyfes
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

[Post New]by tookyfes on Dec 13, 09 3:45 PM
Any clue as to when this is gonna come out for Mac? I have been waiting for this for a while because I have been following this game since the beginning (I re-bought all the back episodes when I switched to my Mac), and figured they release the PC and Mac versions at the same time, but they didn't...

candycreme
Clownfish
Clownfish
548 Posts

[Post New]by candycreme on Dec 13, 09 3:45 PM
Can someone with a Vista laptop tell me if they have any problem downloading the game ,seems like it is a very long game .I"ll appreciate if any of the fishes could help me in this .i am dying to play it

jadeedrie
Lobster
Lobster
87 Posts

[Post New]by jadeedrie on Dec 13, 09 4:21 PM
I recently downloaded the trail version of Dire Grove and just played at least half an hour of it. I love it. A little spooky in some parts when you see a ghostly figure in the window or in the mirror.. talk about spooky.

I love mystry case files and own at least four of them and I hoping to get both Dire Grove and the Collector's Edition soon.

Fiobo
Minnow
Minnow
259 Posts

[Post New]by Fiobo on Dec 13, 09 4:31 PM
I decided in the end not to bother with this game, for two reasons. The first one being the marketing ploy they used to get people to shell out more than double for a game they should have been able to buy immediately for 6.99. That left a bad taste. I did think about buying the 6.99 version when it finally was released, until I saw the size of the thing. I absolutely hate large file games, and always avoid them.

So, the MCF series has come to an end for me, sadly. If they return to the more reasonable game size and prices of previous games in the future, then I'll happily jump on board again, but for now I'm done with them.

drankin
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

[Post New]by drankin on Dec 13, 09 4:38 PM
terry1921 wrote:I CAN'T TELL YOU HOW DISAPPOINTED I AM!!!

I LOVED Ravenhurst and couldn't wait for the next one. When the big one came out..I counted the days until the club version came out...I bought it yesterday and played my heart out....only to find that the program glitched...I could not get Felix's Sketch...but didn't think anything about it. It just wouldn't come up...even when I went back and did everything POSSIBLE to do...then I took the Kerosene to the hunter's cabin...the second search wouldn't come up....OK, who needs potato chips? When I found all fo the students and tried to get the stone rabbit's head to drop the hammer just kept going back into inventory...so I couldn't go any fruther....

So, I thought it was perhaps my computer...so I downloaded it on another computer..new machine...new download...HAD THE SAME PROBLEM IN THE SAME PLACE..... I DON'T KNOW WHETHER TO CRY OR SCREAM!!

tjwilson
Starfish
Starfish
45 Posts

[Post New]by tjwilson on Dec 13, 09 9:44 PM
Ended up with snowshoes and no idea what to do with them, but I completed the game, anyway.

GAME DESIGNERS, PLEASE CUT DOWN THE SIZE OF YOUR GAMES IN FUTURE. There wasn't any real need for 16 VHS, LOT OF SIZE IN THEM!

MooShuRox
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

ambivalent

[Post New]by MooShuRox on Dec 13, 09 11:36 PM
The demo had me hooked, but upon finishing the game, I'm a little underwhelmed. Dire Grove felt a lot shorter than the other MCF games. It is much more oriented towards puzzles (as opposed to hidden object scenes) than its predecessors, and for many of them, it was difficult to tell exactly what I was supposed to do. Also, this may just be my short attention span shining through, but a lot of the puzzles were so involved that I just got impatient and gave up. I think puzzles can stave off monotony in hidden object games, but I felt that in Dire grove, they moreso just killed my momentum.
Ending on a good note, I have to say that I really like the non-linear style of this game (compared with the carnival game) in that it allows you to collect objects and requires you to figure out how to use them in order to advance the storyline. Overall, it was a good - but not great - game.

Go to: