Re: Dark Tales:™ Edgar Allan Poe Murders in the Rue Morgue Collector's Edition Comments and Revie

[Post New]by mattie13 on Dec 23, 09 9:52 PM
bitchatha wrote:Just finished the collectors edition. pleasant game, not hard but not worth the $20 investment. I think it's basically like the regular games. I like to be challenged for the money. This isn't even a little challenging.

I just want to know why I can't open my frickin' notebook to review wat I looked at.
Could you??

nell50
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

Re: Dark Tales:™ Edgar Allan Poe Murders in the Rue Morgue Collector's Edition Comments and Review

[Post New]by nell50 on Dec 26, 09 9:53 AM
Absolutely agreed, nice game but too easy and the "extras" were definitely not worth the $20. Also, there was not strategy guide in "Extras" so paid $20 just for the game itself - I have paid $6.99 for games just as good.

nell50
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

Re: Dark Tales:™ Edgar Allan Poe Murders in the Rue Morgue Collector's Edition Comments and Review

[Post New]by nell50 on Dec 26, 09 9:58 AM
Also, from an earlier post,

The BONUS part of this game :
Early access to the game (2 to 3 weeks)
Integrated strategy guide in the Main Menu
The original Edgar Allen Poe “Murders in the Rue Morgue” novella
Preview of the next game in the series
Bonus game play includes:
5 additional terrific Adventure scenes
3 additional Hidden Object scenes (reused 1 time each)
3 new mini-puzzles
Many inventory items and ‘lock and key’ puzzles
Bonus Artwork and Sound Track:
MP3’s and original music sheets for the player to play
5 Wallpapers
1 Screensaver
Preview video for “Black Cat”; next game in the series!!!!!!!!!!
Concept art for Murder in the Rue Morgue and Black Cat

I have no strategy guide, no wallpapers or screensaver and no previews for the nex games in the series - where can these be found please? there is nothing in the Main menu

Also the bonus section only comprised two rooms - is this correct?

kisskeeps
Catfish
Catfish
1,508 Posts

[Post New]by kisskeeps on Dec 26, 09 11:07 AM
WOW, I read this thread and am very sorry to see so many unhappy fishies!

I hope all of ya are letting know about the troubles; whether it be through CS, tech support, email or otherwise contacting them...

Snail mail addy = Big Fish Games, Inc, 333 Elliott Avenue West, Suite 200, Seattle, WA 98119

The phone number is: 206-448-6628 , maybe there is a toll-free number.

I surely hope this helps, y'all. Squeeky wheels get the grease, it's said. GL

xox, Kissy (I do NOT like all these CEs or Special Editions either)

tuttepeever
Herring
Herring
366 Posts

Re: Dark Tales:™ Edgar Allan Poe Murders in the Rue Morgue Collector's Edition Comments and Revi

[Post New]by tuttepeever on Dec 27, 09 12:17 AM
I totally agree!

Edited on 12/27/2009 at 12:18:39 AM PST

[Post New]by summertimefairys on Dec 27, 09 5:18 PM
I just can't see paying the extra $$$$ and I wont.

As with Dire Grove I will wait for the $6.99 version to come out I did not sign up for a memebership to have to dish out extra cash for a few extras.... i can do without them.

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on Dec 27, 09 10:29 PM
i enjoyed this one, and liked the extra game play that was set aside at the end as an 'extra' although it is hard to determine whether i enjoyed it more than little sprinkles of bonus fun added throughout a game.

as an experienced gamer, i have to side with the many voices that are saying this one was way too easy. i was pleased to have a challenge in dire grove, but i think we all knew it would be - how do you follow-up RTR with anything less? rue morgue is a totally unrelated piece of HOG fun though, so it has to be viewed as such.

i had no difficulties with DL or play, no problems opening up anything or going back and forth, no crashing... it seemed like just another game... except for the price tag. they had me at Edgar - i just jumped, thinking i really liked the conspiracy game and i love any game with a darker thread... i'm still miffed over drawn - should have let those guys take that kid, or thrown her off the roof myself... anyway...

and yes, i intend to be the little fish that swims to her own drum and occasionally take the nibble at a bright shiny thing-y as it floats by. but when it's a buyer beware world - what fins have you got to stand on if you took the hook in your own mouth? it's not like BFG took the money from you and gave you something different from what you asked for. you gave them the money, they delivered. not the right catch? well, watch out for that hook the next time around.

timothya
Guppy
Guppy
101 Posts

[Post New]by timothya on Dec 27, 09 11:21 PM
A bit conflicted, actually.

Pros: A beautiful game visually. Same studio as the one that gave us "Puppet Show" so you know the production values are top-notch. Music is very similar, lovely, atmospheric and not too quickly repetitive. It's quite an easy game, suited very well for young players or those new to the genre. Art is gorgeous, objects are clearly defined and labeled correctly - it's a "fair" game in that respect.

Cons: There are significant technical issues with the initial CE release. I experienced the now well-known lockup during the jail lock puzzle. This one should have been caught before release to production, and the fact that the initial release was a CE costing extra is not making this any more palatable.

Overall, maybe 7.5 out of 10. Not quite as immersive as Dire Grove, nowhere near as magical as Drawn: The Painted Tower, (but that isn't really a fair comparison, nothing else is either and it's a different genre anyway). If I had to introduce somebody new to HOGs, this would be the game I'd pick.

Would I pay the $20 for the CE again? No.

frostledge
Squid
Squid
61 Posts

[Post New]by frostledge on Dec 28, 09 9:52 AM
Thank you all for your honest opinions about this game. I paid the $20 for Dire Grove and have been debating about whether or not to invest it again in this one. Based on the experiences listed, I will wait for the other version to come out and download the trial to see if it's even worth $6.99 to me.

I think as BF has upped the ante on the quality of games such as RTR and Dire Grove, my expectations have also been upped to where I feel newer games should follow suit. I have been a BF member for several years now and have spent money on games I thought would be great such as large file games that have no trials only to be disappointed. Even though I understand the concept of not having a trial for large file games, I have learned the hard way to try before I buy. It seems the games I have high expectations of end up letting me down while some I have downloaded just for kicks, have surprised me.

Thanks for letting others know your experiences.

canuckfay
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by canuckfay on Dec 28, 09 10:05 AM
am I doing something wrong, I went through the game and thought I was going to the next edition and it is just repeating it's self, no one has mentioned this so I am thinking I must be doing something wrong.

slm1948
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
490 Posts

[Post New]by slm1948 on Dec 28, 09 10:15 AM
$20 games seems to be a new idea BFG is trying out on us. I'd rather read a book if games become that expensive.

[Post New]by SaucySideDish on Dec 28, 09 11:41 AM
I might be one of the few that doesn't mind paying extra for a CE, but the game still needs to have something extra to justify it. EAP is not too bad of a game, but my two major complaints are that the hidden object scenes are waaaay too easy, and that overall game is just too short (compared to other IHOGS anyway). For this one, $6.99 is a more reasonable amount IMHO.

Itsupikachu
Flounder
Flounder
2,158 Posts

[Post New]by Itsupikachu on Dec 28, 09 12:52 PM
What I don't understand is why doesn't provide a trial for their CE and LF games? CS has said you should always play a trial before deciding to purchase a game. I've seen trials available on some other sites for the same types of games. Does anyone have any idea of why that is?

bellerook
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
18 Posts

[Post New]by bellerook on Dec 29, 09 6:05 PM
Talked myself into waiting for 6.99 Dire Grove, but went for Rue Morgue. Unfortunately, there's some problem of compatibility and I had to give up on playing. Uninstalled and went to chat option on my account page. This isn't my first experience with BFG Customer Support. They are GREAT! You get personal assistance almost instantly, with follow-up by e-mail if necessary and they pursue your problem to a satisfactory conclusion. Only drawback; if you're not retired (like me) their operating hours might be inconvenient.

Purplerabbit
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
18,590 Posts

[Post New]by Purplerabbit on Dec 31, 09 8:21 AM
Wow, yes, it was brilliant! But it was so like Joyville that it had the same music!
It was longer than I expected, which is good news, and the extras felt more worth the money this time.
The Black Cat looks great!

michelle_hdpc
Squid
Squid
72 Posts

[Post New]by michelle_hdpc on Dec 31, 09 4:08 PM
I did enjoy the game, loved the graphics, the story line or music was not a good as the first.The game was too short for the cost of the collector's edition. EAP first version with its 3 story lines was much longer and the stories were better. I am very disappointed that I spent $20 instead of waiting for the $6.99 version. I will not do that again

emmyjayne
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,375 Posts

Re: Dark Tales:™ Edgar Allan Poe Murders in the Rue Morgue Collector's Edition Comments and Revie

[Post New]by emmyjayne on Jan 1, 10 6:31 PM
Loved this game. I was a beta tester for this game and was anxious to play the full version. I was not disappointed. Have played it through twice now and enjoyed it each time. Were the bonus parts worth it? I've worked with companies developing software for many years and I am fully aware of the cost and effort. I will fully support CE versions for that reason. I am fortunate enough to be able to afford the extra cost. Wish I could bestow that on other fishies who are not.

Edit: I played in Expert mode which probably made the game last longer. If you have the patience, I strongly suggest playing in this mode.

Edited on 01/01/2010 at 6:33:48 PM PST

[Post New]by sidhou on Jan 1, 10 9:00 PM
Not worth even $6.99. After MCF, Dream Chronicles plus numerous other games....this game is hokey beyond belief!

[Post New]by TotallyDaft on Jan 2, 10 7:11 AM
Dull as dishwater in comparison to the Mystery Case Files games. Music was irritating, pointless puzzles..boiling water in a teapot? Why? Graphics are a dead bore. Very mediocre.
Worth $6.99, NOT worth $20.00. Wait for the 6.99 version and save your money.

Edited on 01/02/2010 at 7:14:39 AM PST

misty5
Herring
Herring
337 Posts

[Post New]by misty5 on Jan 2, 10 12:09 PM
wrath6 wrote:hi,

i am trying to decide which collecter's edition to purchase EAP or DIRE, is there anyone who has purchased both or played both games that can give me an opinion ? i plan on buying both but can only afford one CE at this time, any and all help is appreciated.

thxs

I purchased the CE of "Rue Morgue" and definitely feel it wasn't worth the money. When paying 3X the regular price, you expect to get 3X the game, but that didn't happen here. An extra (SHORT!) level at the end doesn't quite do it. As for the Player's Guide, what good is it when you can't access it until after you've finished the game? This was my first CE purchase and I don't think I'll be going back for more.

Go to: