Re:Virtual City comments and reviews

[Post New]by Heavens0929 on Dec 25, 09 2:43 PM
Dave866 wrote:More games like this please. Fantastic game. I really enjoyed the Montana challenge to tear down the dairy and build your income up - warning - you have to think to solve it.

For those who prefer mindless distraction games - there are plenty of them.

Dave....I HAVE been thinking..LOL..but my brain isn't coming up with the answer to that one...how do I get to 3,500 income...and omg...the happiness of 200..I can't seem to get that one!

Please help if you can!

Nicole

[Post New]by Spotiesia7 on Dec 25, 09 4:01 PM
this game is great but there's a game bug, when i reached level 7, i was near the end then my computer froze, its done this twice

tezaber
Starfish
Starfish
55 Posts

[Post New]by tezaber on Dec 26, 09 12:19 AM
Heavens0929 wrote:
Dave866 wrote:More games like this please. Fantastic game. I really enjoyed the Montana challenge to tear down the dairy and build your income up - warning - you have to think to solve it.

For those who prefer mindless distraction games - there are plenty of them.

Dave....I HAVE been thinking..LOL..but my brain isn't coming up with the answer to that one...how do I get to 3,500 income...and omg...the happiness of 200..I can't seem to get that one!

Please help if you can!

Nicole

Hi Nicole,

For the income.....if you upgrade the trucks, buses, and Dumpsters to their highest point, and also upgrade the industrial buildings, you'll start generating more income. Also, the more buses you have covering the same bus routes, the better since each one gets customers.

For happiness level....if you build a plaza, then do a fireworks display or a hot air balloon ride, your happiness level will skyrocket (no pun intended). But note, after the display is over, the happiness will start dropping again, so I suggest doing this at the very end of the level when that is the only thing stopping you from finishing.

Edited on 12/26/2009 at 12:20:36 AM PST

loudlife
Guppy
Guppy
158 Posts

[Post New]by loudlife on Dec 26, 09 12:21 PM
Okay, I'm the one that had my vehicles disappear and the screen go black - I thought I'd post my solution in case someone else needed it. Now I see that Ila was thoughtful enough to do so! After wracking (racking???) my brain for a while, I remembered that while I was in the middle of playing, Java had tried to update. I paid no attention, update messages crop up with some frequency (Thank you, HP, I got it - okay?). Well, it occurred to me - duh! - that that might be pertinent. So I did a Java update and then went back in and started the game as a new player. Voila! Problem solved.

Other than myself and the person who has had his computer freeze up a couple of times (try the Java update!), I think most people's "bugs" are just misunderstanding how the game is played. I'm still in Montana, but even with only 2 products to produce I'm starting to get a little confused, so I've taken to going to every plant and making sure that each icon is checked.

Oh, and thanks for the tip about multiple buses going to the same stop!

Lastly - how in the world do you get 100 vehicles??? I just keep getting the "Garage is full" message. I've been moving trucks all over the place to fill orders.

This is one of my favorite games so far, despite my difficulties, it really makes you think and plan ahead. And it's a long one, too! Definitely worth the money!

[Post New]by Ankelmacrilzacsm on Dec 26, 09 4:30 PM
I really was liking this trial! Then when I get to the garbage truck round....there are glitches. I assign a route to a truck and then there is a check mark that appears and disappears. If I'm lucky enough to get it to stay there for a second, I can click it and the bus will go but it glitches up in the middle of the route. Also, trying to make bus stops, looks like there is one there but the graphics disappear! I'm frustrated because I liked the whole way this game was going but I can't buy it if it's going to be this glitchy. I can't get past the garbage trucks

[Post New]by GewoonLies on Dec 27, 09 5:17 AM
I've done all the challenges and sandboxes and still loving the game.

There's only one problem, in the last sandbox, New York, one of the bridges can't be connected to a road. So there's too little play space. I've tried to start up a new game in sandbox, but the same problem is coming up. Anyone know how to solve that?

Beside that, I really love this game. I don't think the tutorial is bad, you just have to figure some things out on your own. That's what makes the game interesting. Once you've figured it out, the gameplay is very easy and nice.

Hint: In some levels you're garage has limited space, even though you've upgraded 3 stars. So in those levels you'll have to figure out a way to complete the goals with less trucks. It can be done, I've solved all the levels.

[Post New]by foppafans on Dec 27, 09 8:34 AM
Can anyone help? I am at level 10 in Calf. and have to build the marina. I have all the supplies, the people and the ratings. When I click on the marina, it tells me I don't have the resources to build. Has anyone build the marina?

Edited on 12/27/2009 at 8:35:35 AM PST

[Post New]by gamenut123 on Dec 27, 09 9:48 AM
I t is true that the it could be explained a little better in the beginning. What I did was play the game until you open up the Sandbox Mode. Then take a break from the game and practice on the Sandbox Mode to learn what to do. It does make it a lot easier to play the game when you know what you are doing. LOL

reickso
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by reickso on Dec 27, 09 12:44 PM
this game is not like virtual villagers there is a huge learning curve. One hour and you might think this game is easy and you will sail through it. I do not share that view. I had no problem till the level where you have to put out fires and handle medical emergencies,. Just when you think you are getting ahead of it, you have another fire or medical emergency, I get getting fires after I reached 1500 dollars, and for those who do not know it, you get deductions for your fires or medical emergencies, and you do not get that money back when you reach another level. You can make small amounts of money but it gets eaten up with those emergencies to the total of 100 dollars every time. You can earn money but it will never be enough I give up on the game and only had it 2 days. If anyone got past that level let me know

popcorn_20000
Marlin
Marlin
8,219 Posts

[Post New]by popcorn_20000 on Dec 27, 09 2:49 PM
This game reminds me of Pant it Green and other such building games.
I really liked it, although I can only seem to achieve Gold on some not all levels, I still really enjoyed the game.
I had no problems with sound or graphics and found them on par with most of these type of games.
a from me for this game!

$6000 income

[Post New]by AlexCat99 on Dec 27, 09 9:41 PM
emerance wrote:I'm stuck at the level where you're limited in seed funding and then have to produce $6,000 in income. I have two malls, have both the clothing and furniture factories going, and have built up the population to 100. I can't seem to get it higher than $4,200.

Anyone have any ideas how to increase income? I've upgraded all my vehicles to 3 stars as well as every possible building.

Hi Emerance, I had the same problem too but finally solved it.

I noticed that 3 star buses buses with many stops make more money than trucks. So I built many dense neighbourhoods with bus stops and multiple entertainment destinations and replaced a lot of the trucks with buses and that put my income up finally over $6,000. Good luck with it!

ebbalytle
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by ebbalytle on Dec 28, 09 10:35 AM
foppafans wrote:Can anyone help? I am at level 10 in Calf. and have to build the marina. I have all the supplies, the people and the ratings. When I click on the marina, it tells me I don't have the resources to build. Has anyone build the marina?

I built the marina. It is tricky in that you have to carefully manage your trucks. You need to send supplies to the marina one or two at a time. I usually have at least a couple more than necessary of each thing on these sorts of buildings "just in case". LOL Once the supplies and people, etc. are there, you should get a double gear on the upper right of the marina box, which should be lit up. Click that to build your marina. After the marina is built, you will need to bring more supplies, etc. to the place before you can build your first yacht.

Hope that helps!

ebbalytle
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by ebbalytle on Dec 28, 09 10:39 AM
reickso wrote:this game is not like virtual villagers there is a huge learning curve. One hour and you might think this game is easy and you will sail through it. I do not share that view. I had no problem till the level where you have to put out fires and handle medical emergencies,. Just when you think you are getting ahead of it, you have another fire or medical emergency, I get getting fires after I reached 1500 dollars, and for those who do not know it, you get deductions for your fires or medical emergencies, and you do not get that money back when you reach another level. You can make small amounts of money but it gets eaten up with those emergencies to the total of 100 dollars every time. You can earn money but it will never be enough I give up on the game and only had it 2 days. If anyone got past that level let me know

When I got to these levels with the emergencies, the first thing I spent my money on was the building that can handle the emergency type... example: for fires, build a firehall; for sickness, build a hospital. Then upgrade, upgrade, upgrade those until you have 16 emergency vehicles handling your problem. That way you can concentrate on other things and the fires and sicknesses are handled for you. You may have to put a few fires out or heal a few people on the first wave, but you should have your emergency building in place before the second one. The best advice? Don't panic. Just get the buildings into place and let them do their job.

ebbalytle
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by ebbalytle on Dec 28, 09 10:48 AM
I am really enjoying this game! It makes me think. So far I haven't completed one level within their time limit, but for me that isn't the point of the game. I enjoy figuring out what I should be doing and how to go about it. Some levels are not easy. Some are. Some levels you look and say "Now how the heck am I supposed to do that?" but if you sit back and look, an idea will come to you and you can accomplish every level.

I haven't had any of the troubles that some of you have had. I would suggest if you are having any graphics or sound issues, that you check your Java and upgrade it if it isn't the highest one available.

Each level has its own things that you have to get around. Some, it's that there are a very limited number of vehicles available. So you have to work with what you have. On those levels, if you have a certain mission to accomplish (i.e. deliver 5 pies to the mall) but you need more vehicles to get other things done (like passenger people around on buses) then you might have to deliver the pies before you start the passenger part. Once the pies are delivered, sell the truck to buy a bus, etc.

I found the game challenging, but not frustrating. I truly enjoy a good brain workout though, and this game can give you that. I haven't gone into Sandbox mode yet, but am thinking that might be a good idea today.

One of the best things about this game is its length. I've played for a few days now and still haven't come close to the end... I think. LOL I've completed a few States but am not sure how many are included in the game. Anyway... if you like building games that make you think, then this is a good one for you. It certainly is not for mindless playing.

boozysoozy
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by boozysoozy on Dec 28, 09 1:30 PM
Thank you Ebbalytle, someone who feels exarctly the same way I as I do about the game. Great fun, brain stimulating, logical thinking and above all challenging without being stopped by time on the level, can carry on until you have finished the way you are thinking.

I haven't had any glitches either.

I have so thoroughly enjoyed this TM game. The best thing I have found is if I get Expert all the better for me and if I don't then I carry on until I have finished knowing I am not going to be stopped.

Sorry this is a bit repetitive, but, for those in doubt try it!

It is a one of the best games I have got for a long time.

Thank you Big Fish

[Post New]by monapadu on Dec 29, 09 4:56 AM
I am at level 2-6 (the one where you have to clean all the garbage and to restore all the abandoned houses). The problem I have is that I cannot select the abandoned large house on the bottom right corner (the house is near the Oil derrick). The resolution on my screen is 1280x1024. Maybe changing the resolution would help, but anyway... it is annoying!

[Post New]by SystemOverlord on Dec 29, 09 9:53 AM
I completely agree with the other people who give kudos to the game developers! This is a great game! The last two states - Michigan and New York - were especially challenging! I completed Colorado and Montana with all Expert level and all but one Expert level in California. Still need to get to Expert for six locations in Michigan and four in New York! I've re-played some of those locations many times - no joy on getting to Expert just yet!

Game does make you think. You must try to not be distracted by some of the things on there. Sometimes there are production chains available that you should simply ignore because they don't further the ultimate goals you need to accomplish. Can be tempting though, I have to admit!

The other thing is to know when to stop producing something. Sometimes, you need to get to the required # of delivered units and then kill that production/supply chain and move on to something else, especially when there are limited trucks available or you're at the limit allowed by the Garage!

Great game!! I really hope they make a sequel (or several sequels) with some more of the other states!

Edited on 12/29/2009 at 8:56:43 PM PST

[Post New]by girlincanada on Dec 29, 09 4:37 PM
This is the first game I bought. I've always wanted to play the sims, but wasn't sure my computer could handle it. But I decided to try this game out and wow! It's addictive! I am someone in the 3rd level in California, where you have to repair damage and create transport lines.

It's definitely a challenge, but a fun way to waste time! Glad I bought it.

I like Sandbox too, as I can create a city any way I like... And practice creating industries..I find playing in there helps me with playing the game.

Thanks for such a good game, Big Fish Games. I look forward to buying more later, when I *eventually* finish this one!

Carolyn

tezaber
Starfish
Starfish
55 Posts

[Post New]by tezaber on Dec 30, 09 4:49 AM
Yeah, I finally finished!!! The good news is that the final screen says "To Be Continued" One thing I noticed....I made it through the game, yet I never achieved enough expert points to unlock some of the upgrade items.

Now I'm halfway through the game a second time, and going for "expert level" status. So far I've gotten through Colorado, California, and most of the way through Montana, and I've made expert level on all of them. Several I had to try multiple times, but that was part of the fun since I could experiment with different stategies until something worked.

Several tricks and tips I learned along the way. If you're tight on space, you build a bus station and a garbage bin right next to each other, then you can build houses within their working "zones" WITHOUT having to build roads around the houses. As long as a road connects with the bus stop and garbage bin, the houses don't need any road connection until they get outside the "blue zone." So you can put four or five rows of houses behind bus stop/garbage bins and really save on space

Also, I'm finding that sometimes it's just a matter of building a more direct road, which cuts down on trucking time to and from various buildings. For instance, if your delivery truck has to travel a long way around something before heading in the opposite direction, try cutting a new road instead of leaving only the existing ones. This really helps to get things done quicker and get "expert ratings" especially when it seems there's a lot to do.

Lastly, if space is an issue, build your fire department and hospital somewhere along the edge of the screen....just chop down enough trees to form a square for each and don't even worry about connecting them to roads since they don't need any.

I hope this helps.

pugmom2
Guppy
Guppy
108 Posts

[Post New]by pugmom2 on Dec 30, 09 7:32 PM
GewoonLies wrote:I've done all the challenges and sandboxes and still loving the game.

There's only one problem, in the last sandbox, New York, one of the bridges can't be connected to a road. So there's too little play space. I've tried to start up a new game in sandbox, but the same problem is coming up. Anyone know how to solve that?

I ran into the same problem. I just sent BFG a screen print. Will wait and see what they can do to fix this.

Edited on 12/30/2009 at 7:37:55 PM PST

Go to: