mar39
Guppy
Guppy
197 Posts

Re:Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe`s Murders in the Rue comments and reviews

[Post New]by mar39 on Aug 29, 10 9:42 PM
I agree and did like the game as well. As a Poe fan, however, it bothered me that they changed the "culprit" from an orangutan to a gorilla. I didn't see the purpose in this. Obviously, there are lots of changes in story from a story or book to a game, but this change didn't seem necessary.

I liked the atmosphere of the game, but agree that the puzzles were too simple. If you like a game with good graphics, menacing atmosphere and some difficult puzzles, try Dracula Resurrection and Dracula The Last Sanctuary. Excellent games.

Also, I don't mind sounds effects in a game, but sometimes the music really irks me, so I just turn it down all the way.

HasNazir
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,264 Posts

[Post New]by HasNazir on Sep 26, 10 3:40 PM
Buyed this game,, enjoyed it, and cannot find any rooms for improvements as hide and seek games go. So thanks to the developers and everyone else who helped to create this game, to raising the bar with hide and seek games. Will be looking to buy the Black Cat one, but waiting for the standard version to come out.

The_Wanderer
Squid
Squid
64 Posts

[Post New]by The_Wanderer on Oct 29, 10 10:03 AM
Finally finished this game. I enjoyed it, the graphics were lovely and the music and sound effects were good. I played it without the sparkles and it was really rather difficult!! I'm glad I played it that way though.
Would definitely recommend.

sbreed
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by sbreed on Nov 22, 10 8:55 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed this game

BlueOctober
Guppy
Guppy
156 Posts

[Post New]by BlueOctober on Feb 10, 11 7:25 AM
I thoroughly enjoyed this game! Yes, it was easier than a lot of them...but I almost found that refreshing. Just when I would start to dread a mini-game that I'm historically BAD at, I would actually solve it. YAY me! :o)

Maybe I just wasn't in the mood for a really difficult game, who knows...but I really liked this game. I thought the graphics were decent, and the storyline was good. It WAS pretty short, but I bought it as the Deal of the Day for $2.99, so I can't complain on the price.

[Post New]by CheerfulDragon8 on Feb 13, 11 3:27 AM
I bought this game as Catch of the Week and finished it within two days. That's both Regular and Challenge modes. I didn't find the Challenge mode that much more difficult than the Regular mode.

Good, clear graphics, most hidden objects easy to find, mini-games not too difficult and skippable if you do get stuck.

[Post New]by Scarlett204 on Feb 18, 11 11:49 AM
I did fine with the demo, but I'm stuck on the actual game. First of all, I cannot seem to position the dragon's tail like the photo. It just doesn't seem to want to go. I cannot get out of that room as well because apparently I'm missing something, but I don't know what. Can anyone help? Thanks.

[Post New]by Scarlett204 on Feb 18, 11 12:22 PM
So I just looked at the strategy guide for the Foyer. It seems that I was able to do all those things on the demo, but none of the objects are clicking on the purchased game. If they are not clicking, then how can I go further. I am going to ask for my money back. I clicked the lever but did not get the code. The record handle cannot be cranked. Nothing more seemse to be working in the foyer.

Tikatoy
Minnow
Minnow
269 Posts

[Post New]by Tikatoy on Jun 5, 11 6:23 PM
This was fun! I'm a sucker for big, pretty maps and I really liked the one in this game, even though it didn't really serve a function as the game was linear and you couldn't move between locations on the map. Each map location included about 5 different scenes you could move between, and there were a lot of hidden object scenes (that were on the easy side). Puzzles were on the easy side too.

Music was very good, similar to other ERS Studios games. Graphics were good, although not as nice as some of the later games by this dev. The mystery unfolded pretty well, but I wasn't that enthusiastic about the ending.

Liasmani
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
19,504 Posts

[Post New]by Liasmani on Jul 12, 11 5:52 AM
Game Ratings:

Graphics – 5 stars
Story – 3.5 stars
Music/Sounds – 3.5 stars
Gameplay – 4.5 stars
Overall – 4.125 stars

My ratings of games can be high as 5 and can be low as 1.

Ratings Explained:

1 star: Poor
2 stars: Okay
3 stars: Good
4 stars: Great
5 stars: Excellent

I won’t be purchasing this game at all. For those who did – Happy Gaming!

Edited on 07/12/2011 at 5:53:35 AM PST

[Post New]by agnesodette on Aug 15, 11 5:51 AM
Much too easy to my taste

TnTexas
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by TnTexas on Aug 28, 11 10:01 PM
Overall Impression: an older game that holds its own when compared to those of today

Media Description: The graphics are crisp and clear. Can't remember what the music sounded like so that probably means it wasn't distracting. There were no voiceovers.

Storyline: The storyline was told through dialogue exchanges and a journal. The journal could be ignored, and I think the dialogue could be skipped if you wanted. As far as I know, the storyline followed that of the book the game is based on.

Gameplay: This was an iHOG/Adventure blend that kept the going back and forth to a minimum. Active HOG scenes sparkled, and there were arrows to indicate which directions you could go in.

HOG Scenes: The HOG scenes were cluttered rooms/areas rather than the usual junkpiles. The items were clear which made the scenes on the easy to moderate side. The cursor went a bit crazy for a moment if there were too many misclicks in a row.

Minigames/puzzles: The minigames and puzzles blended into the game pretty well. None were extremely difficult; I believe all could be skipped after a certain amount of time.

Hints: The hint system was unlimited and refilled within a reasonable amount of time.

Will Probably Appeal to: those who like iHOG/Adventure blends and Edgar Alan Poe enthusiasts

Will Probably Not Appeal to: those who prefer straight HOGs

pamipets
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by pamipets on Sep 26, 11 10:54 AM
Not sure if i'm postin' in the proper thread......... I'm tryin' the demo, & there's no skip on the scorpion lock on the chest in one of the 1st couple of rooms. I know the diagram for the answer is in the journal, but i can't get it to work, & don't want to waste my demo time. plus, isn't there suppose to be a skip feature for the mini games?? thanx

[Post New]by QualityReviews on Oct 5, 11 5:26 AM
Great game though, it has some issues. But is still good

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on Jan 1, 12 2:29 PM
I love the Dark tales series, this was my first game and I have loved all of them after.

Even when they have gotten better after the this one, I have to say that this game have good graphics and a great story.

rockey69
Guppy
Guppy
179 Posts

[Post New]by rockey69 on Jan 7, 12 6:15 AM
Ok I was looking for a fun **** game and I liked the last Edgar Allan Poe game, but this one is a big dissapointment, it is nothing like the other games,wish I didnt waste my money

Jurinne
Clownfish
Clownfish
606 Posts

[Post New]by Jurinne on Apr 30, 12 8:58 PM
This is the third Poe game I have played. Having read all of Poe's works I already knew "whodunnit." That didn't take anything away from the fun I had playing this game. The graphics are great (as always), the storyline is great (as always), and I can't wait for the next Poe game to appear. I'll buy it without hesitation.

I'm a beginner and did have to resort to the WalkThrough a few times. Unfortunately there is no link to the general forum for the game. When I clicked on the link that normally leads to the forum I was taken to search results and then had to find the forum (which was a little difficult the first time). I wish BigFish would fix this problem.

This particular game showed more of a sense of humor then the other two. There were a couple of snarky comments made when I clicked on something more than once. That's always a plus to me.

Someone posted that he/she didn't remember the music. It's the same as in the other Poe games; in fact, part of it is exactly the same as in one of the other Poe games. The other poster didn't notice. I did and had my cursor fly around because I was clicking on anything every time the bell would ring during a Hidden Object Scene. I had that music running through my mind for awhile. It fits the game and I was the one fooling around with the clicking. It's not a complaint. I liked it.

I give this game four and 1/2 out of five stars because it's not absolutely perfect. But I highly recommend it. I think I enjoy the Poe games more than any other HOGS I've played.

Edited on 04/30/2012 at 9:03:53 PM PST

crowtrobot
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by crowtrobot on Jul 21, 12 4:46 PM
I enjoyed the demo and I'm going to buy it (I have the other two Poe games), but I did notice something odd in this game. There is a scene with a newspaper on the wall that says "Alaska Proclaimed State" and something that ends with "Castro Hailed."

This game is set in the 1800s Alaska became a state in 1959, and Castro came to power at about the same time. So did this paper travel through time to the past or was this some kind of National Enquirer psychic prediction edition?

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Apr 3, 13 11:32 AM
Love At First Sight

GAME COMPLETED MANY TIMES

Back online after 5 years away, almost my first experience of HOPA style games was the Dark Tales series, and it was love at first sight. 18 months and 300 games later, I still count M. Dupin as the best character in any game I’ve played. But it takes more than my crush on M. Dupin to get five stars from me.

Based on Edgar Allan Poe’s story, this game has real appeal to horror and literature fans alike. Told as it is in M. Dupin’s “voice” (not literally, he doesn’t get an actual voice until “Premature Burial”, but I can hear him all the same), we are led through the process of the investigation each step of the way. This means the game is very story driven, with almost no choice of direction, and very little of adventure-like gameplay.

Although it doesn’t feel like it, this game is almost exclusively HOS with a few easy puzzles. The HOS, by the way, are amazingly well done for the time this was produced (2009), with beautiful graphics, much more vibrant than the pastels for which ERS are famous now, that can still hold their own against most games.

Despite, as I said, Dupin’s control of play movement, he’s not much of a one for hand holding. The HOS are interactive, but there is no indication on the list, you have to figure it out yourself. The items are hard to find not because they are in junk piles but because they are cleverly disguised.

Likewise, there is NO, yes I said NO hint at all outside of HO scenes. Puzzles, though simple, come without instructions but, thankfully, with a skip button. It took me 10 minutes of fruitless searching for a code to realise one such game was a simple matching pairs puzzle! Each HOS is visited just the once, but some locations have up to 4 HOS, which sometimes interact between themselves!

The journal is a treat in itself, not so much for its usefulness, which is debatable, but for the notes made about M. Dupin and the art of investigation. It all adds up to a delightful atmosphere of the macabre without being at all gruesome.

Having finished it I am sure that, like me, you will not want to be without the rest of the Dark Tales series... They get even better from here.

I recommend this game!

Go to: