tillybaby
Minnow
Minnow
219 Posts

Re:The Fall Trilogy comments and reviews

[Post New]by tillybaby on Jan 11, 10 6:52 AM
What a fantastic game, well worth the money too.

Like everyone else I am sick to the back teeth of HOG's so this made a lovely refreshing change. Can't wait for part two to be released.

kcojco
Starfish
Starfish
49 Posts

[Post New]by kcojco on Jan 11, 10 7:06 AM
Cool looking, I just wish we could click through some of the dialogue.

shaboo58
Guppy
Guppy
177 Posts

[Post New]by shaboo58 on Jan 11, 10 7:47 AM
Love the game.........

Jofer
Shark
Shark
11,519 Posts

[Post New]by Jofer on Jan 11, 10 8:31 AM
This is a great game! Sorta like Riven meets HOG Now my hour trial is out and I've already bought my 6 games for this month...I'm debating buying myself another credit even though I know I have one coming out in a week. Oooooh....can't wait! can't wait!

[Post New]by katetbetrue on Jan 11, 10 9:04 AM
k_mac3 wrote:I was really liking the game til the glitches started ie error messages, full screen not opening, arrows missing and finally went into the room where you need the pulleys but it wouldn't let me back out . Quality control and testing apparently wasn't thorough enough prior to releasing this game. I don't know if it needs a patch to fix it but it needs something.

I had the same problem with the disappearing arrows (unable to back out of pulley area). Fixed it by changing teh screen resolution (under game options) to 1280x1024. Hope that helps.

Airmid
Squid
Squid
70 Posts

[Post New]by Airmid on Jan 11, 10 3:11 PM
ebbalytle wrote:I've played the hour demo and am really enjoying this game. I'll be buying it as soon as my credit for this month comes through later today.

The graphics, as others have said, are really quite realistic and beautiful. The character is a man, which is nice for a change. The music is really nice and soothing and I love when it stops and we can hear birds and forest sounds. The mini games are challenging, but if you keep working at them, they are quite solvable. I'm not the best at solving puzzles, but I didn't have a problem solving these without a walkthrough. I think that if you rush through this game (i.e. using a walkthrough) then it will go by too quickly and you will miss something in the playing, but that's just my opinion. I have gained a lot of patience over the years, which makes it easier to keep at a puzzle instead of having a look at a picture to get it solved faster and move on to the next one. I want to enjoy this game completely because it makes me feel peaceful while I play.

There are a lot of things in the options that I really like. The fact that 360 can be turned off and you then use arrows on the screen to move from one section to the other makes it really good for those of us who get motion sickness. The fact that the resolution can be set to match my screen is great! I didn't have problems with the cursor jumping or floating, but my video card is a gaming one so it can handle the cursor. Sound controls are separate for music, voice, and other sounds, which means you can set those three exactly to your own preferences. I didn't find the screens particularly dark, but only got as far as the knives over the statue puzzle. Perhaps they get darker later on in the game... I'll find that out later.

All-in-all this is a great game and I recommend it to anyone who enjoys a nice adventure (quest) game. There are lots of challenging puzzles to solve right from the outset, meaning you need to use your brain and think your way through the game. I haven't finished this one and I'm already looking forward to the next edition in the series. I do hope it doesn't take too long for them to get them out to us!

Ditto from me....couldn't of said it any better....great game

hmhque
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

Great game but short

[Post New]by hmhque on Jan 11, 10 4:44 PM
I really liked this game! It isn't a typical HOG, which i am growing to hate. This has several challenging puzzles and less Hidden objects to find. My only complaint is that it was pretty short, only taking me 4.5 hours to play, I tried to take my time as I realized the game was going to conclude quickly. I hope the next one is longer.

Edited on 01/11/2010 at 4:44:50 PM PST

STL531
Minnow
Minnow
267 Posts

[Post New]by STL531 on Jan 11, 10 9:29 PM
While I think the game was beautifully done, I did feel it was a little short. I finished in a little over two hours having used three hints to find hidden object things I couldn't find at various points and skipping one of the puzzles (the one with the two marbles... ack!) after working on it for like 5-10 minutes. I also didn't like that they made the character make stupid and pointless comments when I was trying to find objects ("that basket has a hole in it" or "that stick is too short" or whatnot) that really had nothing to do with the specific object... you had to find all 20 baskets/sticks no matter which you clicked on first, and the commentary slowed you down.

I'm torn about whether or not I'll buy the sequels, because I had a lot of fun while I was playing, but I usually don't buy games that pretty much have no replay value if they are too short.

fred78
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by fred78 on Jan 11, 10 11:22 PM
the space bar allows you to skip dialogs

Edited on 01/11/2010 at 11:22:51 PM PST

Debbie387
Minnow
Minnow
253 Posts

[Post New]by Debbie387 on Jan 12, 10 12:11 AM
I enjoyed the game up until the demo ran out and got stuck in the pulley room and can't get out. Am reluctant to spend US $7.00 to find out if what the other fishies have suggested about getting out of this room works.

I will pass for now.

talisman018
Guppy
Guppy
148 Posts

[Post New]by talisman018 on Jan 12, 10 4:03 AM
I played my hour freebie, then bought it. I'm not unhappy with the purchase, since it was very enjoyable, but it only took me 4 hours with only 4 hints (to find objects that were invisible against the background during two of the Hidden Object-like segments). I like long games, not short ones. But that isn't my main complaint.

The title implies Trilogy and since there was nothing anywhere in the description that said it was only part one, I assumed, naturally, that it must be a pack of 3 games in one. Not so. It's is solely part one of what will (hopefully) be a full trilogy.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it, I found it challenging, and I'm glad I bought it. But I really think that the description should warn people that it is part one of three, that you are not getting three games in one purchase. Maybe it's obvious to most, but it wasn't to me. I would have hesitated to buy had it said it was only part one. So it seemed a bit deceptively worded.

Still, I had fun and will likely buy the subsequent parts and complete the set. If they ever emerge. I really hope they do. The voice-over was tiresome after a while and the "Hidden Objects" blended too well into the background sometimes for me to see on my laptop, but I loved it otherwise. A great alternative to "MCF: Return To Ravenhearst", with a different approach to Hidden Object that was refreshing.

For adventure/puzzle games in a similar style to "Azada" and "Myst" with Hidden Object elements, I give it 6 out of 10 stars. *thumbs up*

SherrieS
Minnow
Minnow
275 Posts

[Post New]by SherrieS on Jan 12, 10 6:42 AM
I normally dislike adventure games as well-but this one intriqued me.
As for walkthru's, DH always laughs because I usually bookmark them whether I use them or not.
Good graphics, a little confusing at first, tried both ways (regualr & 3D) tried out the easy mode (my fav) and hard--less hints & more of a truggle
I used my last credit on it--I think this is more of a THINKER games than an IHOG, but the best part are the puzzle--some are quite challenging.
Music & voice are usually turned off after buy-but during trial not too shabby. The guys voice is ...flat
Music is interesting & works well with game.
I would give it 4 out of 5

bbelle
Clownfish
Clownfish
795 Posts

[Post New]by bbelle on Jan 12, 10 7:36 AM
Really a fantastic game. Can't wait for the next one.

buckeyelibra
Guppy
Guppy
153 Posts

[Post New]by buckeyelibra on Jan 12, 10 10:28 AM
tried the demo but it didn't seem to be my kind of game. I had trouble with the cursor also, it was slow to respond and just wanted to go everywhere on the screen. the print also seemed small. I love adventure and hidden object games but this one for me is a no buy.

gks1951
Minnow
Minnow
253 Posts

[Post New]by gks1951 on Jan 12, 10 3:01 PM
I enjoyed this game, it just wasn't long enough.The only problems I had was it was darker than some games, and my cursor wanted to float to outer space.The graphics was really nice,I can't wait for the other two.The scenes were clear. I enjoy point and clicks, I have played every Nancy Drew game that's out. Siberia was awesome,Paradise was real good, and sinking Island was a true challenge.

Happy playing every one.

dippy1
Squid
Squid
65 Posts

[Post New]by dippy1 on Jan 12, 10 3:29 PM
[qu ote=Lynnet67]Love this game, a definite buy for me...

helppppppppppppp i am so stuck on pointing the mirrors can any one help

arthurC
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
424 Posts

[Post New]by arthurC on Jan 13, 10 12:59 AM
I seem to be one of the few who actually hated this game.

There's no rhyme or reason to the progress, many of the puzzles lack any sort of logic (hence, backwards and forwards to the walkthrough which I hate doing) and some of the hidden objects were totally invisible! In the end, in order to find them I was just waiting for the 'hint' button to re-load. On top of that the cursor lagged dreadfully. and the navigation was very confusing - it didn't seem to correspond with the map half the time.

I always got the feeling that I'd missed something too, because all of a sudden the 'voice' would tell me to do something which was completely different from what I thought I was supposed to be doing!

Very confusing and frustrating, I didn't enjoy it at all.

I left it last night just at the point of positioning the mirrors .. but I don't think I can even bothered to go back and finish it.

Very very disappointed because I used a credit on this one - mostly because i'd read such cracking reviews by other fishies on the forum.

I won't be using another one on the sequel.
JO
Praise for the graphics though -- they were stunning.

minxs
Clownfish
Clownfish
615 Posts

[Post New]by minxs on Jan 13, 10 1:19 AM
SherrieS wrote: tried out the easy mode (my fav) and hard--less hints & more of a struggle

This is the second time someone's mentioned a choice between easy and hard mode -- I did not see that on the Options screen.

I hear there is such an option when you Reset a puzzle, but the game stops working for me at the first puzzle. (And unfortunately I already bought it, thanks to Gamezebo's review. So it's Live Chat for me tomorrow.)

Actually I first bought it from Kheops at $19.99, so you know I really wanted it! But it would install, and they refunded my PayPal payment immediately once I used the Contact page to complain (unlike as with BFG, there is actually a submit button on their Contact Us page).

I usually don't ever have a problem with games, even large file games, so I'm puzzled as to why this one is giving me problems from both Kheops and BFG.

Anyway, can someone explain the easy vs. hard mode?

Thanks!

frannycats
Seahorse
Seahorse
37 Posts

[Post New]by frannycats on Jan 13, 10 11:53 AM
Like so many of the BF games, I never could have made it all the way through without the blog walkthrough. Even then, I was so frustrated trying to align all those mirrors toward the very end that after two hours or so going back and forth through the walkthrough I was ready to throw in the towel.

If nothing else though, sometimes I can be as stubborn as a terrier on a pants leg, Part of the problem is that my monitor is widescreen, so the screenshots in the walkthrough didn't always match my monitor. Once I allowed for that, I was able to finish the game.

The story line was good and the graphics were exquisite. I could have done without the dizzy-making opening and closing "coming awake" scenes, but that's a personal problem. (I also don't like strobe lights for the same reason.)

It was no surprise that this was just the first part of a trilogy. Whether or not I'll continue with the set remains to be seen. A lot will depend on my personal stress level at the time. :-D

talisman018
Guppy
Guppy
148 Posts

[Post New]by talisman018 on Jan 13, 10 1:42 PM
minxs wrote:
SherrieS wrote: tried out the easy mode (my fav) and hard--less hints & more of a struggle

This is the second time someone's mentioned a choice between easy and hard mode -- I did not see that on the Options screen.

I hear there is such an option when you Reset a puzzle, but the game stops working for me at the first puzzle. (And unfortunately I already bought it, thanks to Gamezebo's review. So it's Live Chat for me tomorrow.)

Actually I first bought it from Kheops at $19.99, so you know I really wanted it! But it would install, and they refunded my PayPal payment immediately once I used the Contact page to complain (unlike as with BFG, there is actually a submit button on their Contact Us page).

I usually don't ever have a problem with games, even large file games, so I'm puzzled as to why this one is giving me problems from both Kheops and BFG.

Anyway, can someone explain the easy vs. hard mode?

Thanks!

The easy/hard mode isn't in the options. It's in the individual puzzles, like the pulleys problems, the fresco, etc. When you start the puzzle, it defaults to difficult. But if you click on the button to restart the puzzle, it will usually give you the option to bring it down to easy. It's not there for every puzzle, but it is usually there for the most difficult ones.

Hope that helps!

Go to: