jewbaby
Lobster
Lobster
93 Posts

Re:Welcome to Penny Dreadfuls™ Sweeney Todd Collector`s Edition forum

[Post New]by jewbaby on Jan 15, 10 12:14 AM
jboliver1999 wrote:I am so happy that BFG has this game. I tried it elsewhere and loved it. The only part I didn't like was in the hidden object part, clicking on the hint only took it off the list and you never find the item. Other than that, it is worth the extra.

when I clicked on the list it put a red square around the item, and then I clicked on that ??

Nilosh
Clownfish
Clownfish
590 Posts

[Post New]by Nilosh on Jan 15, 10 1:17 AM
Greetings Fishies from the pond. Last night after having read all the comments, I downloaded the demo and having played a full hour, I decided to take the chance and give myself a belated Christmas gift by buying the CE version. Was it worth it? Well personally, waiting for the 6.99$ would would have been the best choice for me. After having purchased the game, I started from the very begining and without skipping any puzzle, going through each film clip and only having to use the strategy guide once, it took me exacty 3 hrs and 27 min. Not much of a value. HOWEVER on the plus side, the **** scenes were more difficult, I like the fact that you get to be scored after every chapter and there is definitely re-play value. Each time you start over, Hidden objects change. Overall I would rate the game a 6.5 but I did enjoy it nevertheless. My personal recommendation, you can spend the money on 3 different games rather than putting all into this one. I enjoyed D?re Grove immensly and my favorite was Return to Ravenhearst, that took me a week to finnish without the strategy guide and not using any walk-through (I promised myself I would stay away)

PD Sweeney Todd is much simpler and not much of a challenge.I miss games like
Flux Family secrets, the Dream Chronicles and Kuros, Reincarnation (unforthunately too short) and Flux Family Secrets, and Princess Isabella. Simple HOG do not excite me anymore and I feel that this month has been lacking in variety of choices.

Hope this helps, by the way a belated Happy New Year to everyone, wishing everyone joy, happiness and peace.

jboliver1999
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by jboliver1999 on Jan 15, 10 2:29 AM
To those who commented on my dislike with the hint system, are you playing the casual mode or challenge mode? I'm playing the challenge mode. Maybe that's why the hint system does different things. I'm one who likes to play the timed/challenge mode in all HOG.

[Post New]by AuntieJulie on Jan 15, 10 3:13 AM
I must admit I was confused when people were saying about using a hint and it taking the item away, so I went back into the game and restarted on Challenging Mode instead of Casual. You're right! That's where the difference is. On casual mode you get a box around the area that the item is in but in challenging mode the item is removed from the list.

I am still perplexed at receiving items in the inventory that hadn't been on the list - it is nothing to do with evidence or hidden object - the inventory items that I get at the end of a hidden object scene are not listed anywhere. Don't like that, it doesn't make sense.

On the whole, however, I will definitely buy this game when it is released in a few weeks.

I am interested in the comment that the CE game was worth 3 on the punchcard - I didn't think it was worth more than 1? Can anyone clarify that please because it would make a difference to lots of people if that were the case.

A great game - my cursor doesn't have the jitters I'm pleased to say!

minxs
Clownfish
Clownfish
615 Posts

[Post New]by minxs on Jan 15, 10 3:33 AM
BrenSommer wrote:One of the perks of purchasing the CE is that you get to play it before the regular edition comes out. I would feel very cheated if I paid $20 for it and it was available the next day - or even the next week - for $6.99. That would be one of the reasons I paid extra for the game. If they were both offered at the same time, I don't think anyone would actually buy the $20 game.

Same here. I totally agree: and wouldn't you feel even more cheated if you were losing three credits towards a free game by buying the CE?

Well, now they are giving 3 punch-card credits for a CE. Which sounds great, except that those credits don't roll over from month to month. They should -- it shouldn't matter WHEN you buy a game, just that you do.

I already had my 6 games for January, and I figured "Oh well, it's worth missing one credit to get the CE right now."

But is it worth missing THREE credits? Absolutely not, and the extras do not offer near enough for me to lose $21 in credit value as well as pay $13 more for the game itself. This game is now costing me the equivalent of $41!

As you say, the perk of getting to play early is the MAIN reason why I pay extra for a CE. No way will I buy a CE if I have to wait until the next month to do it. I will have no trouble picking up my 6 credits for February with normal games anyway, so no more reason to buy CEs at all.

That being said, this is a great game IMO, although the H.O. scenes are truly "junk pile" and I also had the cursor problem. In fact, a couple of times I had to use hints when I was positive that I was clicking on, say, the "cauldron". I had to confirm it with the hint, and then clickity clicked all over the thing until it finally "took";

Otherwise no glitches, it's not too dark for me, I love the musical scenes, the plot is creepy and eerie, and the Briticisms seem real for once.

However, I also noticed that they were asking for the UK rather than "England". Really, this is as insulting as talking about "the nation of Africa". Uh... wait, didn't we once have a very stupid president who did exactly that? Maybe we can forgive BF, since they obviously work much harder and better than he did.

But no more CEs for me unless BF has an unusually dry month for games otherwise, or unless punch-card credits are no longer tied to a month but simply accumulate until you earn 6 of them and then get a coupon.

Edited on 01/18/2010 at 9:58:10 AM PST

minxs
Clownfish
Clownfish
615 Posts

[Post New]by minxs on Jan 15, 10 3:55 AM
PS: Yeah, I know, some of y'all are now thinking "Is there no pleasing some people?" and this change really only affects people who buy a lot of games -- i.e. BFG's best customers, of whom I am one. And at first I was pleased at the idea of getting 3 credits for a CE. It's great for people who have a hard time filling up the punch card every month.

But then I thought about it. For those of us who have the opposite problem, who go over the limit and have to push some of our game buys into the next month, it just totally destroys the point of getting a CE. The extras are never worth much, the in-game strategy guide is pointless when there are free walkthroughs one key click away, and ultimately the only reason to buy is to get the game early. That reason has now disappeared, since I'm going to buy my 6 games anyway -- typically well before the end of the month, in fact.

On the other hand, I'm not immune to the idea of a bargain, and I'm not able to throw money out the window either, which is what I'm doing when I buy a CE, or any game, if I already have 6 punches on my card. Losing three at once is a bit much.

If punches rolled over from month to month, then there would still be value in a CE for me. And would anyone else object to that? From my point of view, the Sweeney Todd CE is now costing me 3 lost credits ($21) plus the cost of the game itself. That's over $40 -- a lot for one game!

So yes, I can be pleased, but not when it's at the cost of money or value. But I am pleased for most people, who don't buy as many games and who deserve something extra for going back to the $20 game.

Edited on 01/18/2010 at 9:59:46 AM PST

[Post New]by AuntieJulie on Jan 15, 10 5:13 AM
Thank you for clarifying the punchcard situation Minxs. Sadly, like you, I buy a lot of games per month and have already reached my punch card limit - still, the CE version is still available next month if I can't find anything else to buy - problem is, I've got 8 games on my want to buy list..........

mitzi460
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

[Post New]by mitzi460 on Jan 15, 10 5:33 AM
I, too bought the CE for Dire Grove and I pretty sure that I won't spend $20 on an CE again. I didn't use the extras at all. Any difficulties I had, I was able to overcome with walkthroughs and this forum. I enjoyed the Dire Grove game, the Poe game was OK. I will do the trial for this game, but will wait for the less expensive release when that happens.

[Post New]by nickfish123 on Jan 15, 10 5:49 AM
I need help with the scene where you need to find the torn peice of paper I cant find it , the scene is right after the dock with the cat im i suppose to do something with the hanging basket with clothes in it help

[Post New]by Tassygirl1958 on Jan 15, 10 6:24 AM
krissywillow wrote:
lynnestock wrote:Is it really worth the difference in price buying the Collectors Edition? I am relatively new (12 months) to BigFish, so not sure. I bought MCF Collectors Edition but haven't played it yet. I would be grateful for any direction on this.

As someone else said, this is up to each person. However, here's my 2 cents--
If you aren't in a mega rush to get this game, then wait for the regular version. If you then try, buy and love the regular version you can always buy the CE edition afterwards to get the extras it claims to have.

I bought the Dire Grove CE the day it came out. Althought DG is a great game,the extras were NOT worth the difference in paying $20 instead of $7. I never use walk throughs, the outtakes were stupid, and I don't use wallpaper. The "exclusive hidden object scenes"--there were about 2 total, I think (I honestly haven't found one of the Felix'es yet, but from other reviewers I know there's only a few extra scenes). So, worth $20 when I can get it for $7? NO. Worth $20 if that's all that was available? Yes, but only in the case of a MCF game (IMO). I would not pay $20 for a game that was not MCF.

The Edgar Allen Poe game that recently came out in CE before the regular release (which is now also out) created an uproar as well--I read some of the forum threads on that and most people who bought the CE were outraged (I didn't buy it, I have the regular version but haven't played it yet. I think most complaints were the game is too short.)

At the very least before you buy a CE, wait for more reviews first. There you can read about bugs, length of game (this is a big one, if you're paying $20, you want a long game!), etc. That helps decide.

Hope this is helpful.

Oh and another thing..just my two cents, but I think that if we "buoycott" Collector's editions, then BFG might get off this kick of releasing $20 versions of games weeks before the $7 version. If ppl want the CE, they will buy it. Releasing it before the regular version is manipulative.

I am sorry to say...but I agree with everything posted here. The first Collector's Edition I bought was Dire Grove and it will be the last. The game itself was wonderful but the CE was not worth $20.00. I had some technical issues that never got resolved and the extras were not worth the higher ticket price. I also, vehemently disagree with BigFish releasing the CE before the "regular" edition.

Edited on 01/15/2010 at 6:27:21 AM PST

[Post New]by tazz9797zz on Jan 15, 10 6:52 AM
nickfish123 wrote:I need help with the scene where you need to find the torn peice of paper I cant find it , the scene is right after the dock with the cat im i suppose to do something with the hanging basket with clothes in it help

the torn piece of paper is lying on the street near the rubbish pile.

when you find a cannon ball---put that in the hanging basket.

hope this helps

Fykomfei
Guppy
Guppy
125 Posts

[Post New]by Fykomfei on Jan 15, 10 7:52 AM
I've just finished the game, and I loved it! Since English is not my mother's tounge, thes HOB games is a nice and fun way to improve my English vocabulary. I always play them with a dictionary by my computer. Are there anybody out there in the same situation? Looking forward to the next good game.

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

[Post New]by Howatch on Jan 15, 10 8:51 AM
youreyes13 wrote:Also, I'm a little surprised BFG is releasing a CE so soon after the other 2 since they said there would only be 1-2 released a YEAR.

What I remember reading (I believe this was from Picman) is that there would be one, sometimes two, CEs released a MONTH. And, occasionally, none in a month, if no games warranted it.

I am already hearing about a Diner Dash 5 CE in February, and on a developer's website it says that they are planning to release Nightfall Mysteries: Curse of the Opera as a CE on Big Fish this month (although perhaps the release date will be delayed).

[Post New]by Bigfishette on Jan 15, 10 9:14 AM
It seems to me if I've already purchased six games this month and then I buy the CE of Sweeny Todd and get three more credits logic tells me I can afford to buy 3 more games this month and get two free games in February. What's to complain about? Don't see any reason to carryover anything from month-to-month. I am delighted BFG is giving me three credits for a CE game. That's awesome. As to whether or not I buy six games to get a free game next month has never influenced my decision as what games or how many I buy. If I get the free game next month that's cool. If I don't that's cool too. I guess I'm living in lala land because I just don't see the problem.

scarlet_11dy6
Flounder
Flounder
2,031 Posts

[Post New]by scarlet_11dy6 on Jan 15, 10 9:34 AM
It's actually not Victorian at all. The original "penny dreadful" story of Sweeney Todd, entitled The String of Pearls, may have come out after Victoria's accession in the mid-1800s, but the tale itself is set in 1785, so it's the Georgian period. Hence all the powdered wigs lying around. Since the last Act of Union was in 1709 in the reign of Queen Anne, last of the Stuart monarchs, yes, it is the UK, not England anymore.

Anyway, I love a gritty, realistic period piece & was pleasantly surprised to see a CE trial available for a change. The $6.99 version needs to come out in exactly 17 days b/c my monthly credit kicks in in 13 days & in 17 days it will be Happy Birthday to Me & I am def getting this

The whole opera concept is innovative for a casual game & it seems to be following the original The String of Pearls storyline very closely. Yes, things can be a bit dark & dirty....try living in a era w/ no electricity or real plumbing to speak of & see how bright & clean ya get LOL Graphix were very well done & not an historical anachronism in the bunch. The interactive bits weren't strenuous on the brain to figure out & I liked that you could go back & forth btwn different map locations to play. I was still in the start of the 3rd level when the demo ended so I'm thinking it's of reasonable length if it's truly following the story. Like w/ Rue Morgue & Monte Cristo, I'm loving this idea of turning literary classics into games. The hint/skip loaded fairly fast, tho apparently it eats your hint & makes it load slower to peek at the strategy guide, even out of curiosity just to see what it's like.

All in all a wonderfully done, solid storyline, great graphix & music game that manages to stay true to the tale & the historical period so far. And for y'all that are sighing over yet another glut o blood, hey, horror sells well & has sold since Mary Shelley's day, & has made Stephen King a millionaire. I'd rather play a game based upon an old book I've read & loved than some trashy modern romance novel no one's ever heard of any day of the wk. I still don't get what people see in Danielle Steel's re-hashing of the same old plot LOL Bring on the classic literature!

AgnesKite
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by AgnesKite on Jan 15, 10 9:43 AM
I just read through some of the posts for this game. Thanks, BFG for giving us free trials on the CE versions of the games! I'm downloading it now in hopes that it outshines the unfortunate Edgar Allan Poe CE.

I don't remember who actually posted it now, but someone had a great idea--selling the extra content that makes the games a collector's edition as a separate add-on for the regular $6.99 price of a game the same way the strategy guides are sold. That way, people would be able to choose which, if any, add-ons they wanted without having the obligation of plunking down $19.99 at a time just to see what the extras are, or for more experienced players, without having to purchase a strategy guide they're not likely to use.

Whomever it was who suggested this idea, I think it's brilliant! And, it might cool off some of the heated discussions bordering on irate rants that have been plaguing the forums lately. To the BFG moderators/employees are reading this, might this be an option for the future?

lineck
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,140 Posts

[Post New]by lineck on Jan 15, 10 3:22 PM
BrenSommer wrote:
lynnestock wrote:

Oh and another thing..just my two cents, but I think that if we "buoycott" Collector's editions, then BFG might get off this kick of releasing $20 versions of games weeks before the $7 version. If ppl want the CE, they will buy it. Releasing it before the regular version is manipulative.

I have to respectfully disagree. One of the perks of purchasing the CE is that you get to play it before the regular edition comes out. I would feel very cheated if I paid $20 for it and it was available the next day - or even the next week - for $6.99. That would be one of the reasons I paid extra for the game. If they were both offered at the same time, I don't think anyone would actually buy the $20 game.

I think this is a great compromise. Big Fish isn't "forcing" anyone to pay $20 for a game, you can certainly wait for the regular version, but they are offering a premium game for a premium price. I would venture to say that the more money they make off of the games, the more money they have to put in to making more awesome games like MCF.

I remember a time - not too long ago - when I paid $20 for every game I downloaded. Then I found BF and joined the club. Even then there were a lot of people who were complaining that they had to commit to a game a month in order to get the games for $6.99. (I can't imagine not being able to commit to a game a month - I could commit to a game a week!) Then, BF changed it so that EVERYONE could get the $6.99 - Game Club member or not.

I think BF is a HUGE value for your entertainment dollar! If you are willing to pay the $20 for a CE, that's great. If you aren't, that's fine too - you're just going to have to wait longer to get the game. I don't see where this is manipulation. It is simply good business.

Just my 2 cents worth! Bren

Yes I agree we have a choice buy or wait

lineck

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Jan 15, 10 4:02 PM
ogrprincs wrote:This message is for bfgflounder. I liked the game, but it really brothers me that in one of the hidden object scenes it was asking to find England. I did not find England. I found Great Britian instead. I am from Scotland and WE ARE NOT ENGLISH. It is a different country. Sorry for speaking out, but it's the same as calling America,Canada.Different countries.England, Scotland and Wales are three countries. Thank you

You are right that looking for England was misleading, although it is part of GB so technically it wasn't incorrect, just a small irritation for the rest of this island!

To be absolutely correct, Britain refers to England and Wales; Great Britain refers to England, Scotland and Wales and the UK refers to all three plus N. Ireland!

Edited on 01/15/2010 at 4:22:31 PM PST

tntbledsoe
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

[Post New]by tntbledsoe on Jan 15, 10 6:12 PM
This game has an intriguing story line and the graphics are rich and detailed. But I do have a few pet peeves. First of all, I don't mind revisiting a hidden object site as long as when I get there I'm not having to rifle through the same bunch of junk I did last time. In other words - if I found the tankard last time I was there then it SHOULDN'T be there again. Anyone else get frustrated with that? Another thing is (and others have mentioned this before) the stuff in the hidden object areas should be relevant and at least somewhat realistically sized. Did you see the size of the mosquito?! Could have done without that one. One last gripe - it perturbed me that I spent all that time looking through the junk piles and then the object I received wasn't even one of the items I had been looking for! It was like I had searched through the junk pile for nothing because the narrator had it in his pocket the whole time. I don't know, I guess for the money I would expect a little more thought going into this game. I thoroughly enjoyed Dire Grove and spent the extra money for the collector's edition without hesitating, but this one is not as deserving.

Edited on 01/15/2010 at 6:13:05 PM PST

gemmabloom
Starfish
Starfish
40 Posts

[Post New]by gemmabloom on Jan 15, 10 6:50 PM
Love, love, love this game. Now all I have to do is be patient until the regular (priced) version arrives.

Go to: