Night mode = NIGHTMARE

Re:Night mode = NIGHTMARE

[Post New]by welshrarebit56 on Jun 15, 16 10:17 AM
Thanks Astra and Coconuts, for your replies, very helpful for me and hopefully others.

gohill
Stingray
Stingray
4,715 Posts

[Post New]by gohill on Jun 15, 16 10:41 AM
I can't imagine playing this game on a phone... I like my LARGE screen, and as such, the night mode doesn't really affect me but to slow me down a bit... got to thinking, the smaller the screen, the smaller the diameter of that light... wow... then again, it's all relative... if your used to playing on a small screen, the light source is really not any smaller.... (the small screen would drive me nuts, a tiny light source would have me climbing the walls and screaming for my blankie.. )

The first few times the night mode came on, I bit my lip and just did them... now, after having done over 50 in all three games, I don't bat an eye.... if it doesn't affect you physically, or you don't have impaired eyesight, I "think", most will get used to the new modes and they will become just another HO...

btw: those posts regarding possible new modes were JOKES meant to lighten the mood... NOT ACTUAL suggestions for the devs... PLEASE do NOT pass these jokes on to the developers... I enjoy LIVING... (I am imagining torches and pitch forks carried by an ANGRY mob should any of these become actual modes)

efi24
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,228 Posts

[Post New]by efi24 on Jun 15, 16 12:13 PM
D_NY wrote:
I have calmed down with 24 hours of ignoring the game and have decided to give it a month or so to see if I get used to this but I am not happy. I always sold my wands for either gold or crystals. Guess I'll have to hang onto them now to use once I make the achievements to clear out nightmare mode. That's going to make getting gold and crystals harder.

Feels like I could have written this myself lol
I too only came in yesterday to send gifts out and click some flowers, was too upset to actually play any hos. Today I gave it a shot... I hate the night mode, it adds such stress to the game, fearing it might pop up, and it pops up way too often, and they made it wow, really dark, very hard on my eyes. I can't see a thing!
I too always sell the wands, gives 75 coins each, a very good source of coins I'd like to keep... And although I do very much appreciate this forum's mods help, I'm not sure I'm happy with answers like "you can find it when crafting, gifting, wheel etc..." okay, yes, I can. But it's going to be hard or even impossible to avoid it altogether and for some of us this is a nightmare. I am horrible at the scenes I'm best at, finding myself hating scenes I used to love the most. And at level 56, with those elemental black flowers still around, yeah, you try going into a scene you first opened after they came in, avoided playing it as it was too hard as is, and now do it night mode. sure, fun! (not lol) Or that scene where the fire blowing dragon is, wow. The black flowers aren't bad enough, let's add some darkness to it too lol (but really, I know the flowers are temporary and soon will go away, I'd hate night mode just as much).

I too used to play their previous game (can I say "found"? lol) and actually LOVED it. BUT I HATED the night mode, many players gave it up because of that! AND it cost only 1 diamond to change, AND they had 2 different helpers (forget what they're called sorry, you know like extras you can use to help you play scenes) that made the flash light A LOT WIDER, or give you a few good seconds with the light on so you can get some sort of an idea about what's going on, so basically - DIFFERENT GAME AND REALLY NOT THE SAME.

I'm too trying to give it some time, as I love this game so much, but I honestly don't know how long I'll be able to last. I simply hate the night mode. Sorry.
I wish there was going back, but I guess there isn't ha? Too bad

[Post New]by Linderhopper on Jun 15, 16 12:58 PM
This nite mode is awful. 4 out the first 5 scenes came up in nite mode. The other changes I really do enjoy. But this nite mode may very well make me give up this game completely!

sbaker2318
Manatee
Manatee
4,187 Posts

[Post New]by sbaker2318 on Jun 15, 16 1:38 PM
I decided to give the new modes a chance...........first day was kind of fun........second day was kind of irritating.........third day..........I HATE Night Mode.......I cringe every time it comes up and I swear it comes up every other HOS......they need to change this.........back to our regular HOS's and just have the different modes once a week or so.........I have resigned myself to the fact of doing round after round..........did it mindlessly.........but now my stomach starts to hurt before even doing rounds.

Another thought...........let the new modes stay until we get the achievements.......then let us opt out of the new modes if we so choose. If these new modes stay........might be a deal breaker for me.

jude_todd
Starfish
Starfish
51 Posts

[Post New]by jude_todd on Jun 15, 16 1:47 PM
I enjoy the challenges these new modes pose , it will not please everyone but it makes the game fun , It could be worse they may put these modes in the tournament , that would make for an interesting leader- board .

christallh24
Squid
Squid
69 Posts

Night mode = NIGHTMARE

[Post New]by christallh24 on Jun 15, 16 3:10 PM
efi24 wrote: Have you stopped to ask how many players you might lose over this?
I don't want to quit MC, I love MC!! But you just placed a scary intolerable monster in it and I'm not so happy... I don't know how long I'll be able to last with this.

Well, they didn't seem to care when pretty much all players wanted to revolt after the Jan update gave us shards instead of inventory items. They've only partially rectified that. The nightmode isn't nearly the nightmare I still find it to be when I get shards or 15 coins instead of getting an inventory item.

Edited on 06/15/2016 at 3:11:12 PM PST

gohill
Stingray
Stingray
4,715 Posts

Night mode = NIGHTMARE

[Post New]by gohill on Jun 15, 16 3:19 PM
christallh24 wrote:
I don't want to quit MC, I love MC!! But you just placed a scary intolerable monster in it and I'm not so happy... I don't know how long I'll be able to last with this.

Well, they didn't seem to care when pretty much all players wanted to revolt after the Jan update gave us shards instead of inventory items. They've only partially rectified that. The nightmode isn't nearly the nightmare I still find it to be when I get shards or 15 coins instead of getting an inventory item.

... ditto!!!!!!!

Annelliegram
Shark
Shark
10,615 Posts

[Post New]by Annelliegram on Jun 15, 16 3:49 PM
efi24 wrote:
And at level 56, with those elemental black flowers still around, yeah, you try going into a scene you first opened after they came in, avoided playing it as it was too hard as is, and now do it night mode. sure, fun! (not lol) Or that scene where the fire blowing dragon is, wow. The black flowers aren't bad enough, let's add some darkness to it too lol (but really, I know the flowers are temporary and soon will go away, I'd hate night mode just as much).
<-- You will soon be rid of the "black matter".....It goes away after the first set of quests in Level 56 (see Strategy Guide). And, I am in full agreement....the night mode is pretty bad when you still have that "black matter" in the scenes!

sbaker2318 wrote:Another thought...........let the new modes stay until we get the achievements.......then let us opt out of the new modes if we so choose. If these new modes stay........might be a deal breaker for me.
<--- I am in total agreement with this most excellent idea.....It would be VERY nice if there were a way to "turn off/on" these new modes once the achievement is met.....perhaps, when the mode is ON, the coin payout can be increased by 10 or 15%

Edited on 06/15/2016 at 3:50:21 PM PST

scifan
Lobster
Lobster
92 Posts

[Post New]by scifan on Jun 15, 16 5:24 PM
I really like the mirror mode and am okay with silhouette, but I hate Night Mode. It causes me a lot of eye strain, which means I get a headache--and very quickly, I might add--which means that I now rarely even play all the way through the game once. Everything else is fine, but I don't know how long I can endure night mode.

D_NY
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
411 Posts

[Post New]by D_NY on Jun 15, 16 7:03 PM
OMG, I'm only 47 and forgot about I have the black flowers to face sometime soon. It's going to be a bear if I have to do it in night mode. I've been bracing for that since I read about it on these forums but it's temporary and I figured I'd get through it just like everybody else has. Double dread now.

For those of you who like the new modes, that's all well and fine. I don't have a problem with their leaving them -- as an option. Those of us who don't -- especially when visual problems are an issue -- should be able to opt out without paying diamonds. 1 isn't bad but even 1 is too much frankly. We shouldn't have to pay premium coins to not play in these new modes.

That said, one of my goals in this game has always been to make all achievements so I will only be opting out after I achieve those. When I started, all achievements were something that were achievable with diligence and sticking with the game and playing regularly. With the update of the shards and coin drops, what upset me wasn't that but having to place Top 100 in the tournament for an achievement as that doesn't seem possible. I have only once and I'm not sure that's not due to a glitch. I will be saving up diamonds for that goal once I achieve the others but it feels pretty pay to win and still depends on luck.

Now this achievement that is hard on the eyes. Like I said, I'm giving it a chance because the game is fun but it grows more and more iffy as to its being worth it. I don't give up on things I enjoy easily so I probably won't quit even when I throw my hands up in the air and say I give up but if they keep ramping up the difficulty, I will reach the breaking point of just can't do. Good-bye.

PS: I knew they were jokes and they were funny. My former PS was also a joke but a half-serious one because I don't put it past the devs to pick them up and run with them.

Edited on 06/15/2016 at 7:04:34 PM PST

NoFishToday
Salmon
Salmon
2,712 Posts

Night mode = NIGHTMARE

[Post New]by NoFishToday on Jun 15, 16 7:29 PM
gohill wrote:
christallh24 wrote:

... ditto!!!!!!!

Oh so true! And we weren't able to opt out of coins and shards, so why should this be any different? I think a very good suggestion for the devs to consider for those who dislike the night mode, would be to incorporate the differences that were in the other game mentioned.

efi24
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,228 Posts

Night mode = NIGHTMARE

[Post New]by efi24 on Jun 16, 16 5:42 AM
gohill wrote:
christallh24 wrote:

... ditto!!!!!!!

Matter of opinions I guess, no right or wrong here, is there? Just different.

To me getting some coins or shards instead of inventory item is no where near as horrible as playing night mode. I'm not sure what's the base for comparison here? Making us want to quit? Not listening to our needs? Then both are kinda bad and sad, yes? For me, while one won't and didn't make me stop playing the other just might, I've hardly been playing since, and it's not just a matter of principle, it's something I'm physically having problems with and I care about my eyes too much. I understand there may be other stuff that other players may not like or that not all that bothers me bothers all. I respect that too. But it still does... What can I do? I don't see myself playing this game much longer, as night mode is too hard on my eyes and it added a HUGE stress factor to the game, and that's the one thing I have enough of in real life and don't need in games. Too bad as in any other way, I love it so much.
If others have other reasons to quit, then I'm sorry for your loss too.

efi24
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,228 Posts

[Post New]by efi24 on Jun 16, 16 5:49 AM
P.s. Thanks Annelliegram, scifan and D_NY
I've read the guides so know I'm very near to finally getting rid of those black flowers, was actually playing more enthusiastically than usual to make more progress faster lol They're no fun, but I know they'll be gone soon so am taking it.
but dark mode isn't going away, is it? And I honestly don't know if I can survive that..

Game just became dangerous to my eyes and very stressful.
Like every time I open a hos, I'm in stress. Not good for gaming...

Edited on 06/16/2016 at 6:02:56 AM PST

[Post New]by lilredhood on Jun 16, 16 8:52 AM
Here is a strategy that i have come up with for playing night mode that might help some of you who hate it. look at the list and find one object then use the flashlight to go that part of the screen and click on that object as you do click around the object for others that may be near as lot of times nearby one are also on the list. i have cleared many objects by doing this. also moving and randomly clicking and checking the list for the objects in the areas that you know where they normally are will help you clear the area fairly quickly. I was very slow when i first got the mode but am now not so bad. give it some time and you will soon find that it is not as bad as you think.

oh_oma
Guppy
Guppy
131 Posts

[Post New]by oh_oma on Jun 16, 16 9:42 AM
For the mods reading these posts.....Please suggest to the developers that they make playing (either individual scenes or the game in total) in normal mode a free option. I understand them wanting to revitalize the game (which it has for many players by the sounds of things) by adding these modes and new achievements. Kudo's to the team for trying to keep things fresh instead of giving up and declaring an end of life to a long running game. Keeping it up must be just a fierce amount of work, imagination and time and I for one (playing since 2014 and wasn't bored yet) am very grateful. I don't want my personal likes and dislikes to affect the enjoyment others are experiencing with these new modes. I do wish however that for myself, and other who share my opinion, that we had the option to not play in the new modes.

I personally don't like HOS games, almost never buy them unless they have really cool puzzles. The only reason that this game has kept me is the beautiful art in every scene. To have that hidden at least 25% of the time is really spoiling the only reason I play. For others it is a physical problem (the dev's need to be mindful that a huge majority of their players are 60+ years of age) that makes the various modes difficult for them. It is nice that they have a tool that dispels the various modes but they are not populated nearly enough in the game to overcome this obstacle. For those of us who don't care about achievements, avatars and pets, who don't need goals to motivate us to play, let us just spend time in your beautiful castle without the hassle and challenges of different modes, if we so choose. Thanks, Grymm Sister

sbaker2318
Manatee
Manatee
4,187 Posts

[Post New]by sbaker2318 on Jun 16, 16 12:03 PM
Well Said Oma!!!

[Post New]by QueenBigFish on Jun 16, 16 4:07 PM
I was surprised and thrilled that there are new ways of doing Midnight Castle.
I enjoy the night mode and mirror. It's fun it you take a deep breath and remember where the items are in normal mode. It keeps one's brain functioning. This is the way I look at it. I was reading all the fishes responses and was shocked to see that there is lightning that one can purchase. Well, I'm definitely blind about this little information. I now have to really look for it when I'm playing the night mode. Thank you fishes for the added information. (note: I think the next few hours or so, I'm going to be on the MC forum to find out all the information pertaining to the new updates. Good luck everyone in learning new ways to swim in BF pond!!

tesskw
Minnow
Minnow
202 Posts

[Post New]by tesskw on Jun 16, 16 9:28 PM
I also detest the night mode!! I have the night mode every other hos scene it seems and I am 95 percent of the time getting shards I don't want them at all, if I want them I will click on stinkin butterflies in our rooms. GRRR

Edited on 06/16/2016 at 9:35:45 PM PST

btroi
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by btroi on Jun 17, 16 11:07 AM
I am one of those who hate the Night mode. The mirror mode is fun, though. But I hate the night mode so much that is spoiling the game for me. I will not spend my diamonds to get to normal mode. That just feels like a rip off. So between the night mode and still being stuck on level 71, the game is no longer any fun!

Go to: