genkicoll
Stingray
Stingray
5,732 Posts

Re:Epic Adventures: La Jangada comments and reviews

[Post New]by genkicoll on Mar 1, 10 7:45 PM
Starts out slow and picks up interest level after the first few scenes. The notes after almost every single rose in the first scene would have normally made me say, "Forget this," but I continued on since I'd read some nice comments about the game a while back. I'd like to continue to see how it all plays out...

Except that I can't stand it.

I've seen people talk about fuzzy graphics before, and those have not bothered me. These graphics, however, don't seem fuzzy - they're blurry! Not a junk pile in sight, true, but you also can't find anything without hints (after the first few easy items).

Ugh.

This is the first game I've played where I didn't care about actually playing it - I wanted to skip the gameplay and see the story >_< NOT a good sign. I see zero replayability in this whatsoever, which is a shame since they put so much work into the story.

Fix the blurry graphics! then we'll talk

dfranklin
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

[Post New]by dfranklin on Mar 9, 10 10:54 PM
OK, I'm a convert (to my own surprise)! I played the demo and let it sit for 2 days and I kept thinking about the story and wondering what happened next, so I caved in and bought it.

I agree with most of the comments, yes it mainly about the story vs. gameplay and yes many of the items are very hard to see although as you go on with the game you start to adjust, and the hint button is handy (you have unlimited recharges). I found it refreshingly different, once I got into it. There's more to the story than the "girlie" romance stuff upfront.

If you don't have a lot of patience for the dialogue or to wait for the hint button when you're stuck, then you probably will not like this game. It reminded me of some of the more "movie" like point & click games, where the main purpose of the game is to drive the story forward. But it did actually have a nice amount of puzzles in the second half of the game...and it was quite long at least compared to some recent HOGs I've played. Lots of nice visuals, settings, sounds.

A couple of suggestions for the developer:

1) If you are going to make the items this small/hard to see, consider changing the cursor to a magnifying glass icon where you can zoom in over certain places you want a closer look. I've played one or two games in the past that did this...it helps. Searching for microscopic berries, carvings, etc. that blend into the colors of the background can be frustrating, as I'm sure you've read so far in this forum. I would like to say that I find it nice to have a challenge vs. the ridiculously easy HOGs, but make it "do able".

2) I actually enjoyed the cut scenes and found this central to the style and enjoyment of the game, however you might consider a way to pause or replay the cutscenes with this many...I got distracted by family members in a few places and missed some of the main storyline and couldn't figure out how to "replay" the scene!

3) You might want to have a bit more puzzle action loaded upfront...most of the really cool puzzles and interesting parts of the story didn't come until the end, and I'm afraid many gamers didn't want to risk their credits to find out if it was worth it, and I can't blame them for that. But please don't just "front load" the next game and make the end boring...that is a surefire way to get us to NOT buy the next one.

4) Please continue to think outside the box and appeal to those who appreciate a nice storyline.

[Post New]by GameWizard5 on Mar 20, 10 8:21 AM
I'm not one to post much, because I'd rather spend my time playing, playing and playing. LOL However, on this rare occassion I will, and I will say that I found this game to be superb. Story was great, graphics are beautiful, puzzles are not hard nor easy, some hidden objects are well placed and hidden. No screens were overly clutterd and the music was excellent. One of the best HOG's I've ever played, and I own a lot. Also, the game runs smoothly with no freezes or glitches. It was flawless. Well done! 5 stars for this little gem, most definetily.

The worst part of the game was having to listen to Mhia, not because of her voice, but because of her selfish, spoiled brat rich kid attitude. Some things she said were just too prudish and snobish for my taste. Does remind me of most real women though. LOL Gold diggers with that me, me, me attitude. Over and out!

KitSeason
Lobster
Lobster
93 Posts

[Post New]by KitSeason on Mar 27, 10 9:05 PM
My eyes just don't take the tiny tiny hidden objects. And also I was annoyed more than usual by the differences in scale (note the magnifying glass in the ship flood scene early on and the brush in the pre-wedding scene). I don't mind usually the occasional out of scale object as long as it's appropriate to its "hiding" place. That's not the case here.

The games that hide things by having them cleverly merge with the background are much more interesting than those that hide them by making them impossibly small too see.

The story is interesting and I like that mystical quality of the large ship and the overall imagery, but none of those things are enough to compensate for the vision difficulty.

I won't be buying this game.

DianeIsis
Seahorse
Seahorse
37 Posts

[Post New]by DianeIsis on Apr 1, 10 12:51 PM
I love this game! If you can get past the love poetry when it first starts it becomes an excellent game. The items are teeny tiny and very well hidden. The hint button takes about a minute to recharge. The story is exceptional with lots of turns. The speaker is enchanting. The music is hypnotic and soothing. The puzzles get more challenging as the game progresses and you can bypass them if they are too challenging. Other puzzles are the same with each one having a different twist that helps them stay fresh. La Jangada is an amazing concept. The graphics are excellent!

Edited on 04/01/2010 at 12:53:14 PM PST

TnTexas
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by TnTexas on May 27, 10 11:47 PM
The following comments are based solely on the demo:

About halfway through the trial time, the storyline caught my attention, and I wanted to know what was going to happen next. If it wasn't for that, I would pass on this game altogether since the pace is very slow and overall pretty boring. As it is, I'll put it on my "Maybe List" and consider purchasing it should I ever find a time when I want a new game and there are no others that really grab my attention.

Edited on 05/27/2010 at 11:47:19 PM PST

HasNazir
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,264 Posts

[Post New]by HasNazir on Nov 7, 10 11:41 AM
This game was just so boring, i couldn't be bothered to find out what the story was about. i didn't like the graphics and the gameplay was tedious. I've played 13 minutes of it, and not even worth a Daily Deal for me either.

KimiKanda
Guppy
Guppy
145 Posts

[Post New]by KimiKanda on Nov 14, 10 8:48 PM
I agree the storyline is a bit slow, yet I am very curious as to how it ends. Nice graphics, music and interactive play. If this game is presented on the daily deal, would definitely buy. All the search and find items are at least usable and goes along with the storyline. Unlike regular HOGs where you search for items that you never use (garbage bag). I give it Lov'n It!

[Post New]by ksdickinson on Mar 12, 11 7:22 AM
Took me the hour demo to get thru 2 chapters. And that was with my 9 yr old daughters' help lol. We were just working on the rings puzzle on the gate at the top of the stairs when time ran out. She kept saying that the **** scenes were getting harder and I told her that if it were easy. it'd be boring. Who wants to go boom, boom, boom, game done? Certainly not me! Think I'll use one of my credits for this. Especially since I tried 5 demos in the past day and this is the only one that worked!!

elhar02
Guppy
Guppy
149 Posts

[Post New]by elhar02 on Mar 14, 11 5:13 PM
Actually I quite enjoyed this game. Yes, there were mega hidden object scenes but but not all that bad for the eyes and there was always the "hint" button if you couldn't find something. I found all the graphics very pleasing and certainly not fuzzy whatsoever. There was a "skip" button for puzzles but most of them I managed to complete by myself and only referred to the W/T to tell me what I needed to do with some of them in order to get started. There were no instructions within the game itself (for the puzzles) except for some where you had specific numbers received elsewhere to open something.

I enjoyed the storyline and it was nice for a change to just have to deal with exploring 3-4 areas within each chapter instead of having to worry about running back and forth to every location within the game. Once you were finished with one part you moved onto the next and didn't have to retrace your steps.

I enjoy the very involved Adventure Games but every once in awhile it's nice to play something a tad easier without wearing out my "sneakers" or taking notes of places I need to revisit to place missing items. In this game my memory served me perfectly and I had no problem.

Hope these developers make more. I always play with the sound on mute so voices don't enter into my review and I also overlook any spelling or grammatical mistakes --they don't both me in the least.

[Post New]by Bilko_Bilko on Mar 18, 11 12:01 PM
Seems like this is the first game of the Epic Adventure series. Judging from the screenshots the latest game Epic Adventures: Cursed Onboard seems very different from this one

Have to try this one out to be sure

care___916
Clownfish
Clownfish
988 Posts

[Post New]by care___916 on Apr 16, 11 5:30 PM
I wanted to like this game, played the full demo. The some of the graphics were not clear and many many objects to small to see.

With the game starting out with voice!!! was a real plus but the game just was not that good.

Happy gaming to the fishies that enjoyed this game

enigma5619
Minnow
Minnow
244 Posts

[Post New]by enigma5619 on Apr 24, 11 12:00 PM
[b]had some play issues and tiny **** objects...could not open a larger screen...wanted to play as the story was fresh and interesting...after solving a puzzle, the game stopped and i had to pass to move the game forward...deleted

Meritre
Guppy
Guppy
177 Posts

[Post New]by Meritre on Jun 21, 11 4:26 PM
A pretty good game. The main character's voice acting is what pulled me in and made it more interesting. The story wasn't bad, but the pace made it not terribly exciting. Overall not very difficult, although there were some small objects that were hard to find. Something I might consider as a DD.

nelliebj
Guppy
Guppy
109 Posts

[Post New]by nelliebj on Sep 30, 11 7:37 PM
I played the full hour but didn't buy it, even on a DD. I found some of the items so tiny and hard for these older eyes to find. It wasn't the most exditing HOG I've ever played. The hints were good and quick to reload but I don't want to play 2/3 of a game and then use hints for the last third. Not for me.

Trigger51
Squid
Squid
62 Posts

[Post New]by Trigger51 on Oct 1, 11 4:31 AM
I don't understand all the people who love this game. ITS NOT GOOD AT ALL.

Items too small or too well hidden or not described well.
Puzzles not hard, but just time consuming
Loading please wait - short cut scene - loading please wait - H0 scene - loading - cut scene - loading - H0 - loading - and on and on.
First H0 scene - find tiny roses, each with a description box coming up
Find six pieces of paper, next scene find more papers, then find more papers
Find symbols (whatever that is), next scene find more symbols.

That's when I gave up. No redeeming value in my opinion.

Edited on 10/01/2011 at 4:34:44 AM PST

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Oct 1, 11 6:52 AM
Didn't make it through the Demo....slow going. Turned off the voice. Seems to be a great deal of HOGs that were not really clear and the items small and hidden. Never found some of them and the hint button wasn't a great deal of help. I like a challenge, but some of these items were too hard to locate which makes the game slow and frustrating. Not a buyer for me...need a little more action. Mini games, at least the ones I ran into, were not hard. Graphics a bit "funky" and not real crisp.

cll1950
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,099 Posts

[Post New]by cll1950 on Oct 2, 11 8:15 PM
For me what started as an "I don't know about this one" game has turned out to be a story and game i hardly want to stop playing. I've played off and on for most of the day and I'm maybe 1/4 of the way through. Yes, lots of dialogue and it's a wonderful story narrated by a beautiful voice. As some have said there can be some silly things to look for but I don't care. I want to know what happens and most of the puzzles are unique. Not the same old cookie cutter garbage we get over and over from one game to the next.

For me this game so far has been a relaxing adventure with beautiful music and yes dated but beautiful graphics that looks like it will give me many more hours of play. I figure I'd already gotten my $3 worth ages ago. Very glad I decided to buy.

No fancy bells and whistles but the kind of quality game I wish I saw more of.

sleeplady
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by sleeplady on Nov 18, 11 7:17 PM
Marniem wrote "I must have been playing a different game from most of you! I found this one frustrating, with many tiny, vague objects that were impossible to identify. "There are symbols everywhere you look." No, not really! I gave up and uninstalled it before my demo hour was up. "

I agree totally.

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on Jan 1, 12 6:19 PM
I bought this game when it first came out, I felt in love with the story and the main characters, I think this game is lovely.

The graphics are nice and while challenging is playable.

Go to: