Helex
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
5 Posts

Re:Shutter Island is a Rip- Off!

[Post New]by Helex on Apr 9, 10 2:18 AM
Really dissapointed in the length of this game, it was quite dark and hard to find some items. But i was mostly not happy with how quick it was to complete, waste of money

[Post New]by charla56 on Apr 10, 10 6:37 PM
Have not purchased. Only tried 15 minutes of free trial. Will not buy. When you find an object and click, does not recognize that you have found. Usually took me 4 tried to get object to move to tools. Guess I will go to movie instead of playing game.

Charla56

jenak3769
Clownfish
Clownfish
958 Posts

[Post New]by jenak3769 on Apr 10, 10 7:36 PM
This game was pathetic designed to simply make money from the movie fans..

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on Apr 10, 10 8:45 PM
BrittysMom wrote:good game...the ending sucks!!

welcome to the pond jenak3769

the ending is the way it is because if played before seeing the movie, it would spoil things... frankly, i played the game because the movie was coming out... i thought i had it all figured out... then i went to see the film and my head was still spinning days later... i played it again afterward and i still thought it was creepy and twisted as h377! i think it really comes down to suspension of disbelief... probably why i was always sooo cold when i was playing dire grove! brrr...

happy gaming!

[Post New]by marymoll on Apr 14, 10 2:58 PM
got the free hour ,bought game ,lasted 20 mins to the end ,rip off is not what i was thinking , refunds should be offered for this game or they should tell people average game play is 90 mins

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on Apr 14, 10 6:18 PM
Draega307 wrote:Agree the game is a waste as you just get locked away at the end? Is that really beating the game since there is no other outcome available?
The bright side is I've read reviews saying it closely follows the script of the movie so I won't be wasting my time or money watching it.

there is a lot of movie after the the end of the game... and to address your question as to whether there could any other outcome for Teddy than being locked away... for those of you who want to see the film and still be surprised i will lighten this text... he is a mental patient! what more do you want from him!? he's locked away because that's where he needs to be, honey... now if you didn't get that from playing the game, it will become more than crystal clear upon viewing the film... it was wonderful piece, very psychologically driven, very dark and moody, and full of interesting twists and turns that will leave your hair standing on end and your head spinning for days... if you don't want to play or see the movie - you can always find time to read the book!

happy gaming

[Post New]by petunia_1965 on Apr 14, 10 11:17 PM
I started BFG several months ago and I have to say this was the most disappointing, and not worth the time games I have ever played!! I guess I will be reading the bigger "fish" suggestions before I do that again. Y'all are quite helpful for the anemonies like me. Refund or free game offer for waste of time?

Edited on 04/14/2010 at 11:20:37 PM PST

[Post New]by mostly_nameless on Apr 16, 10 9:58 PM
I've got to agree that this is probably the worst game I've ever gotten at BFG.

Between the fact that some of the items were miniscule and the migraine effects, I'm well on my way to a real migraine.

This game should come with a warning!

Also, the ending was really bad. If you can call that an ending since we still don't know anything.

warmbear
Squid
Squid
67 Posts

Shutter Island is a Rip- Off!

[Post New]by warmbear on Apr 18, 10 8:47 PM
jennyoliver1 wrote:Do NOT buy Shutter Island! I purchased this game after my 1 hour trial was up and the game ended less than 30 minutes later! WHAT A RIP - OFF! Such a shame - it had the potential to be a really good game.

I utterly agree with this.. I played the demo, which shut down at the one hour mark. I was hooked, so I bought the game, and was completely done in less than 1 hour.

Also, I extremely disliked the ending, It basically means you cannot "win" playing this game... You are going to lose no matter how well you do, and this is against all adventure game conventions and practices.. I don't care if the book ends that way, it is not acceptable for an adventure game.

So in short: GREAT gameplay, interesting storyline, way too short overall (more like a DEMO than an actual game), and a completely LOUSY ending for a game.

sherisgirl
Minnow
Minnow
229 Posts

[Post New]by sherisgirl on Apr 19, 10 3:32 AM

I played the free hour at the weekend, and must admit I got bored with it, was glad when the hour was up, not a buy for me this time.

[Post New]by Brn2ply on Apr 20, 10 2:57 PM
I agree w/jennyoliver1 !!! Wish I had read eddyatwork before I wasted my certificate. Really dumb ending---or did I miss some thing ?????

[Post New]by trailrider2 on Apr 21, 10 1:05 PM
I agree...rip-off! played the demo and bought it...was done in about 30 minutes and what an ending! DUH!

Edited on 04/21/2010 at 1:06:47 PM PST

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on Apr 24, 10 9:21 PM
**MAJOR SPOILER ALERT**
what you won't see in the game, but is nevertheless part of the story...

Teddy is patient 67... his wife Delores - who is now dead - was at home one day with their three children... she took them one by one into the lake behind the house and drowned them... then she lay them all upon the bank and prepared a picnic... when Teddy came home, something inside him simply 'broke' - he was a Marshal, carried a gun, and decided to mete out his own justice... he shot her and then ended up a patient out on the island... in his delusions, he is trying to find the person who killed his wife... Chuck is really Dr. Sheehan... Dr. Cawley lets him play out the fantasy of being partnered with his doctor as Marshals on the island so that he will hopefully have a break from the delusions and start healing... that isn't the case, however - Teddy remains convinced that he is fine and that everything else around him is someone else's plot to confuse him...

welcome to schizophrenia do not pass go, do not collect $200

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on Apr 26, 10 6:01 AM
Thanks Everyone! I came to the forum for info on Shutter Island. I played the trial and was disappointed and wanted to know if it got any better. Now I know. I won't waste my money on it.

wildone667
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

[Post New]by wildone667 on May 1, 10 5:58 PM
thanks to ember89 for clearing some of the stuff up for me because I to felt that the game was a ripoff, but because of embers "spoiler alerts" I got a better understanding of what was going on and may want to play it again just to see if I can pick up on something that I missed the first time around. I do want to read the book now and maybe see the movie, but if this game was supposed to promote the movie it did a really bad job of it. there were to many unaswered questions,(who's the lady in the cave?) and they could have at least hinted at some of the stuff but thats what suspense is all about, of course I don't like the part of suspense that makes you wonder if that was all there was with the game. I saw the end and still sat in front of the screen watching the credits going "is that really it? No there's a second part right?" Nope thats the end. they told him not to go to the lighthouse he just didn't listen. LOL. must not have seen poltergeist. all in all not worth 6.99 definately not worth 20.00 but could be a buy at 2.99 if its a rainy day and nothing better to do. Thanks ember89 for some insight.

[Post New]by nemalove on May 28, 10 4:36 PM
I agree! I downloaded today and am already done! No meat to the game, and no fun. Sorry I purchased it- waste of money!

gamergirl675
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,156 Posts

[Post New]by gamergirl675 on May 29, 10 5:26 PM
I like it!! I haven't finished it yet so we'll see but I wouldn't be happy if it ruined the movie (I haven't seen it yet) so I'm glad they aren't totally giving things away in the game. If it doesn't play on your system you should be able to tell before buying so don't waste the money but if you accidentally bought it and it won't play contact customer service and they'll help you out. Big fish rocks that way. No clue why so many anemones think it's a rip off... I mean... it's $6.99. I'm taking my daughter to a movie tonight (trying to decide between Letters to Juliet and Prince of Persia) and it's going to cost close to $20 bucks... for less than two hours... and I don't think that's a ripoff. *shrug*

mluth
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
1 Posts

Shutter Island is a Rip- Off!

[Post New]by mluth on Jun 7, 10 11:31 PM
jennyoliver1 wrote:Do NOT buy Shutter Island! I purchased this game after my 1 hour trial was up and the game ended less than 30 minutes later! WHAT A RIP - OFF! Such a shame - it had the potential to be a really good game.

We totally agree with you. Horrible ending, short game play. I want my money back! We finished the game within 20 minutes after buying it (after the trial ended.) Ripoff!

admiral1133
Minnow
Minnow
228 Posts

[Post New]by admiral1133 on Jun 10, 10 2:38 PM
Downloaded trial version. Played about 5 minutes and I acutally fell asleep. One of THE MOST BORING GAMES EVER OFFERED. Prattle and phycho-babble. Don't buy.

Bee921
Lobster
Lobster
82 Posts

[Post New]by Bee921 on Jun 29, 10 12:43 PM
I know I need the lantern to start, but can't pick it up no matter how many times I try. Any ideas?

Go to: