juliamadeane
Flounder
Flounder
2,137 Posts

Re:Empress of the Deep: The Darkest Secret

[Post New]by juliamadeane on Feb 20, 10 3:00 PM
kithain wrote:
Poodlebear wrote:Warning - Some Spoilers

Then in the glitch department the credits at the end are not skippable and when I was returned to Main Menu at the finish none of the buttons worked. I had to hit my Windows key and use Task Manager to close the game.

Poodlebear, I had this same problem. I had to use task manager as well, and at first, I wasn't sure even that would work, as each time I tried to select "end program" the menu screen of the game would pop back up. Very frustrating.

kit

Exact same glitch here!!

shawk
Manatee
Manatee
4,143 Posts

[Post New]by shawk on Feb 20, 10 3:50 PM
Looovvveee this game so far a definate buy for me,and the developer coming in to find out our opinions just sweetens the pot! It runs fine on my PC,but 99.9% of games do.I have Windows XP.

[Post New]by fairhavenfish01 on Feb 20, 10 4:41 PM
Great game so far - will wait for March and use a coupon - nice to have a new developer, and glad Gogii involved - I like their games, too.

Hope those having tech issues will be able to get them resolved.

twin_mom
Clownfish
Clownfish
912 Posts

[Post New]by twin_mom on Feb 20, 10 5:07 PM
Love the game. Will buy at the beginning of the month, assuming I can wait that long.

I did find though that the "Area Complete" is a bit misleading. This appears even if there is an outstanding puzzle on the screen. I know because I have not found the key for the lock at the end of the walkway and yet it says "Area Complete". Perhaps I have missed others as well. Curious whether now that I have the scepture whether I'll be able to go back and place the key when I do find it.

Well worth a game credit. Really enjoying even though the Hidden Object and puzzle portions are very easy. Everything is just right - the music level; the resolution of the graphics (sorry don't see the grainy during the H.O. scenes) and the storyline superb (really draws you in).

Enjoy everyone. This is a keeper.

[Post New]by mythago on Feb 20, 10 6:17 PM
Very beautiful graphics, but I have to agree that the HOC were cluttered and I was disappointed in the storyline. It was very interesting up through the demo. Then you figure out what's going on LONG before the 'big reveal' - but you can't do anything but play along. Disappointing.

samwise50
Guppy
Guppy
160 Posts

[Post New]by samwise50 on Feb 20, 10 6:38 PM
I just finished. I was very pleased with the game in general and I hope they will launch the sequel soon.

I don't recant my previous comments but I now have some reservations. It is not as good as I thought it would be. Someone even compared it to Dire Grove or Madame Fate. I think it is far from being the same degree of excellence. And yes, the graphics are a bit grainy. Yes again the font used in HOs areas should be changed.

However, I enjoyed it very much and I don't regret a bit to have purchased it. The voice of Lucy Decoutere (Anna and the little girl) is very pleasant and seems to pop up in a few games.

So, I will go ahead and give it 4 and hope that the next one will earn it's fifth.

theoldbag
Herring
Herring
363 Posts

[Post New]by theoldbag on Feb 20, 10 7:08 PM
thanks for the walkthrough Margie B. You have saved me again and allowed me to enjoy another great game.

Faylyn
Minnow
Minnow
259 Posts

[Post New]by Faylyn on Feb 20, 10 7:22 PM
I bought this game and am in the process of playing it and I absolutely LOVE it! I have no idea of how long the game is but whatever time it takes will be too short, I want it to go on forever

gameslvr
Clownfish
Clownfish
553 Posts

[Post New]by gameslvr on Feb 20, 10 7:30 PM
Nothing new to add that hasn't already been said. Love the game, the hour went by incredibly fast-had to buy it. I had the same bat/hat problem and some technical problems in starting up but once it opened up it was fine. Very interesting and different.

yourshannygirl
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,367 Posts

[Post New]by yourshannygirl on Feb 20, 10 8:02 PM
I loved the demo for this game and it is definitely on my "to get" list! The only problem I had was the volume was up full blast and I could barely hear it (the volume is up full blast on my computer as well) so if they could just change that in an update I would REALLY appreciate it!

Edited on 02/20/2010 at 8:05:00 PM PST

SublimeOne
Clownfish
Clownfish
795 Posts

[Post New]by SublimeOne on Feb 20, 10 8:55 PM
This game had pluses and minuses for me.

The pluses:
Great graphics although I agree about the grainy look others have mentioned. Interesting locations and lots to look at in each one.
I liked the puzzles and the way they were worked right into the game, not just thrown about willy-nilly.
I also didn't mind the "junk pile" nature of the HOGs but would have liked them to be harder, with more objects to find.

The minuses:
It's short. Based on the walkthrough I got more than two-thirds of the way through during my demo hour.
Many of the scenes only had one thing to do or find in them. While I enjoyed looking at them, it seemed like a waste to me.
Using the "S" to skip talking. Why not just be able to click through? For the first time through I would want to listen to/read everything. But if I played it again? I should be able to just click easily on through.
Biggest minus for me? Not being able to get to a location by clicking on the map. If you go to the map and press Hint, it tells you where to go. But you have to click all the way around to get there. Why not have the map be interactive? Just seemed like aimless clicking to me.

And I'm with the others who didn't get what the flowers were all about. They just seemed randomly thrown in to me.

On the whole, this is a graphically beautiful game that just didn't seem fully realized to me. It could have been so much better. All those amazing scenes could have had HOG levels or more puzzles or just plain something more to do.

Still, if you are looking to wander around in a strange new world, this might just be the one for you. For me, probably only a Daily Deal, primarily because of the short length.

[Post New]by Aldenya on Feb 21, 10 1:47 AM
I quite enjoyed this game. I saw several people parallel it with Myst/Riven, and that is a close fit in some ways, although this game is much more direct in what it wants you to do. The combination of puzzles, hidden object scenes, and adventure/figuring out to do with certain items was is balanced quite well, although to the traditional hidden object gamer, there are probably not enough hidden object scenes and they are rather simple, but in my opinion there was just enough of a mix to keep me from getting bored.

The acting and voices were a bit weak though. Especially the main character; she could be very annoying at times. The storyline was rather trite and predictable as well. (And I'm so glad we found those flowers so we could put them to good use...) However the art was quite clean and rather pretty, and there was enough of a plot to keep you wanting to play (even if the ending was completely obvious).

I wish the game had been a little longer - only took me two hours give or take, and there is not a lot of replay value, because half of the time it takes is doing the puzzles and figuring out what to do, and once you know that, the game itself is a breeze. But, I bought it and will probably buy the sequel as well when it comes out.

Edited on 02/21/2010 at 1:47:35 AM PST

[Post New]by mahjongirl on Feb 21, 10 5:35 AM
This game is truly superb. If all Big Fish games were of this caliber, I would buy much more frequently. I found the game so perfect for me that I thought other developers must feel a little bit envious that their games don't get the reviews that this one is receiving.

I tried the demo and purchased with my credit before the time was up. I am not one to stay tied to the computer for hours on end playing a game. But this one kept my attention and interest. I was totally immersed! Georgeous graphics, not too dark and haunting story. Loved the puzzles even the difficult ones and I did use the walk through a few times, but all in all this game is one of the greatest ever for me. Thanks !

[Post New]by juttawalker on Feb 21, 10 10:14 AM
this is really a great game i hope there is more to come,good job,thanks

ebbalytle
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by ebbalytle on Feb 21, 10 1:42 PM
I loved this game. Played the demo through last night and stayed up until 2:30 a.m. to do it! Unlike some fishies, I didn't find the graphics blurry at all. I actually thought they were perfect for where we were supposed to be... the bottom of the ocean somewhere. I'm not really sure what the music was because I never noticed it... so it must have been okay. Obviously it wasn't annoying.

I was really enjoying the story and will definitely be buying this game as soon as payday hits. And even though I haven't finished playing this one, I'm looking forward to the sequel that I understand is in the works.

Thanks to the developers for making a game worth buying.

chasseur
Squid
Squid
76 Posts

[Post New]by chasseur on Feb 21, 10 5:40 PM
This is a really beautiful fairy tale HOG/HOA. It is a retelling of "Sleeping Beauty". I did not have any tech issues that some are reporting. When I opened the demo I thought "OMG" this is brilliant. When some one developes the perfect game. . . please let me know. There is no one size fits all for casual gamers. If length is an issue then perhaps BF could provide such info for all these types of games. I got a lot of enjoyment w/ this game for less than the price of a movie of equal length.

scarlet_11dy6
Flounder
Flounder
2,031 Posts

[Post New]by scarlet_11dy6 on Feb 21, 10 8:53 PM
Guessing this looks like the review thread....is it that hard for a mod to create one?

Guessing I am going to be the lone voice of dissent as usual. Murky graphix, yet practically no challenge at all to seeing the HOs. I don't want to spend 30 secs clickety-clicking & then the next 10 min wandering all over the place only to discover a dead end b/c I missed a piece of something somewhere, & wandering back. You want me to do that, then use an interactive map like Princess Isabella had. I don't care for how many games lately have been labeled as HOGs when they're just not. They're LFAs w/ an occasional HOG scene tossed in so that the devs can grab a piece of the most lucrative casual games market b4 we're smart enough to realize we've been had. I understand most HOGs are now IHOGs & those of you who loved the original HOG genre now turn your noses up at straight HOGs. I am resigned to some wandering & puzzling, & find I don't mind it when it's done well, like Dire Grove or Sweeney Todd or Rue Morgue. But I'm not attracted to the HOG genre for puzzles & wandering. I'm here for the HOs scenes along the way & I feel cheated when there's ONE per level like in that dumb fairy princess game the other day. I don't care how pretty it may be or how engrossing a storyline if I only get an HOs scene 2-3 an hr. The puzzles in this one were quite EZ to solve so far, & in addition I looked to be half thru it in under an hr. The wandering's not going to change, the puzzles aren't going to change, & there's not enough HOG to it to have any replay value for me, esp w/ how short it looks to me. I did like that it told you when a scene was complete, but that was about it. BFG seemed to "get" this when Dire Grove came out w/ less puzzling than RTR. Other devs are just trying to mislabel hoping to make a buck. Not getting any of mine, sorry.

Debbie387
Minnow
Minnow
253 Posts

[Post New]by Debbie387 on Feb 21, 10 10:40 PM
Have just finished this game, enjoyed it immensely. I bought it before the demo expired. Enjoyed the mixture of ****, puzzles and mini games. I didn't find the graphics grainy at all as some fishies have. The music suited the scenes very well and the voice acting was ok.

I must admit I detest spot the difference puzzles and this one which had you look at the picture then close it and find the differences was even worse - I used a lot of hints on that one.

I found the map very helpful but would have been even better if it was interactive.

I don't know what the flowers were about either.

All in all a great game.

EOTD
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

[Post New]by EOTD on Feb 22, 10 10:00 AM
Debbie387 wrote:Have just finished this game, enjoyed it immensely. I bought it before the demo expired. Enjoyed the mixture of ****, puzzles and mini games. I didn't find the graphics grainy at all as some fishies have. The music suited the scenes very well and the voice acting was ok.

I must admit I detest spot the difference puzzles and this one which had you look at the picture then close it and find the differences was even worse - I used a lot of hints on that one.

I found the map very helpful but would have been even better if it was interactive.

I don't know what the flowers were about either.

All in all a great game.

We really wanted to make the map interactive and it would have been easy but decided not to for other game play reasons. But next game for sure. Thanks for the continuing feedback

abarrett
Clownfish
Clownfish
990 Posts

[Post New]by abarrett on Feb 22, 10 10:38 AM
I finished the game last night. After playing the demo and looking at the walkthrough, I thought I would have more to do. However, it ended much too soon.
Otherwise, it was a wonderful game and I can't wait for it to continue.

Go to: