echoedawn
Catfish
Catfish
1,706 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Rhiannon: Curse of the Four Branches

[Post New]by echoedawn on Sep 24, 10 10:35 PM
I found the graphics to be too dark. (This would be true for anyone who has declining vision.) I agree with other posters about the pop up menus, these are a bit annoying. It's also difficult just wandering around trying to find non-descript items.

I'm an avid Big Fish fan, and have rarely found games that are disappointing, but this one is a game I won't be purchasing due to the number of complaints I've read on it, as well as due to the "hard on the eyes" factor.

[Post New]by Rhian_Wings on Oct 28, 10 12:07 PM
I found this to be a fascinating game, which I could not put down.

From simple beginnings, it gains a creepy atmosphere and a sense of danger. It's the oldfashioned sort of adventure game, where you need to keep copious notes and use your head to find out what to do.

In addition, the fact that it's based on Welsh mythology makes it extra fascinating to me. If you don't already know about the mythology, there's plenty to read about it in-game, teaching you quite a bit.

There's a lot of exploring, but the map, when you find it, does allow you to travel quickly from place to place, which is quite a relief when you're running from place to place for the nth time to pick up that one thing you saw that might just fit the bill for what you're trying to do.

The fact that it's not 360 degrees came as a relief to me, as it makes the game usable for those of us who tend to get a little motionsick.

The graphics might be considered a bit dated, but in this case, I found that it didn't detract from the whole creepy experience. At one point, I jumped sky-high because a mouse skittered past, because I expected Lwyd to show up to frighten me.

Puzzles are logical. You use real world logic, which is quite refreshing.

The only thing I'd have liked would be for the ending to be a little longer, and to show what happened to Pryderi, as I'd gotten a tad worried for him over the course of the game. I presume all turned out well for him, but well, confirmation would be nice.

diggermonty
Lobster
Lobster
90 Posts

[Post New]by diggermonty on Dec 9, 10 8:46 PM
The graphics very crude and simplified. Very gloomy and out of focus. I only tried the demo but I found it too linear. I like a game where I can move more freely. The scenes were very stark and uninviting. The house was too confining.
I heard some positive comments about this game. Go figure. They must have played an improved version. I didn't like it at all.

[Post New]by kfhemness on Dec 31, 10 8:23 PM
I finally finished the game, using the walkthrough the whole way. The story is interesting but I found navigation to be tedious. Using the map to jump to various outdoor locations was very helpful; I wish there had been one for rooms in buildings. And I having to wait for triggers to pick up items to be used later was annoying.

I actually read the reviews of this game before buying and wouldn't have bought it if anyone had actually mentioned how much they had relied on the walkthrough.

Jinnare
Guppy
Guppy
178 Posts

[Post New]by Jinnare on Mar 6, 11 7:13 PM
Rhian_Wings has posted an excellent review above, with which I heartily agree.

I just finished the game and enjoyed it every step of the way. I did use a walkthrough maybe three or four times, but that was usually when I'd been playing for quite a while and was getting tired and fuzzy. I always found that the answer I needed had been right in front of me had I just been a little more patient. Most of the game was quite intuitive, and I had fun figuring out what to do with all the goodies I picked up.

Rhiannon is a lot like the Nancy Drew and Carol Reed games, and I love both of those series. I enjoy wandering around and exploring (aka sticking my nose into everything I can find).

I was pleasantly surprised to encounter the Ogam alphabet in the game. I'd just finished a Nancy Drew game in which it was used so I dug out my notes from the ND game and used them to help me in Rhiannon. Talk about a cheat sheet!

Edited on 03/06/2011 at 7:16:23 PM PST

desandnrs
Guppy
Guppy
102 Posts

[Post New]by desandnrs on Mar 6, 11 9:31 PM
I thought a long time before buying this game.Wish I had not bought it. I finally got in the house, but have not accomplished anything else. Just do a lot of going back and forth. Would Big Fish give me a CREDIT on a game that I obviously am not smart enough to play? I have played a lot of games but I am just totally lost in this one and not enjoying it at all.

[Post New]by sailing123 on Mar 10, 11 7:49 PM
Absolutely loved this game! No doubt the best large file game ever. Has anyone heard when the sequel is coming out????

spyque
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,211 Posts

[Post New]by spyque on Apr 30, 11 10:30 AM
Just started this game. (a little league parade went by the house and distracted me)
I haven't done much but I've jumped in my seat at least three times! I don't do that! I dragged my heels on buying this game for a long time, but glad I finally got it.
I love those 'I am alone...aren't I?' type of games.
So far, it's been quite fun!

d0080b
Stingray
Stingray
5,334 Posts

[Post New]by d0080b on May 15, 11 4:43 AM
Scary game... hard to figure out where to go next and how to get back to where I need to be... uninstalled for now, may go back to it later.

genkicoll
Stingray
Stingray
5,732 Posts

[Post New]by genkicoll on May 22, 11 1:06 PM
Rhiannon: Curse of the Four Branches
Review from June 7, 2010

This is a true adventure game - no hidden object scenes, no mini-games.

I will not give away the plot, but there are some truly spooky elements to the story that will make any fans of the genre something to be happy about.

The movement is cumbersome and non-intuitive. You may see what you need to do and where you need to go, but sometimes it's hard to get it done, 'cause you can't figure out how to make the game go where you want!

You have a limited inventory, so you can only pick up the things you need right at that moment, and you have to remember where the rest is.

Hard to go where you want + easy to get lost + hard to remember where things are = frustration.

On the plus side, you have a notebook to keep track of what you're supposed to be doing at any given moment, which is always helpful. Need a hint? There are no in-game hints, but you can check out the walkthrough here:

http://www.bigfishgames.com/blog/rhiannon-curse-of-the-four-branches-walkthrough/#1

Like any true adventure game, YOU MUST SAVE MANUALLY! If you forget to save the game before you exit, you're out of luck!

This adventure game is recommended for advanced players and those who enjoy a challenge.

Based on 40 minute demo... I forgot to save

[Post New]by sedatedwoman on Jun 1, 11 11:57 PM
INCREDIBLE FANTASTIC AWESOME GAME!! BEST ONE I HAVE PLAYED SINCE I JOINED BACK IN FEB OR MARCH!! I HAVE BEEN PLAYING IT FOR 2 DAYS NOW ...I AM STILL ON EARTH CHAPTER!! I HAVE TO STOP, SAVE, GO TO WALKTHRU, WRITE EVERYTHING DOWN (NO PRINTER) GO BACK, RELOAD....ETC ETC.....MAN MY BRAIN HURTS!!! I THINK THIS IS BETTER THAN RTR!! I SURE HOPE THE DEVELOPER COMES OUT WITH ANOTHER ONE LIKE THIS ONE!!! WOOO HOOOOOO I AM A HAPPY CAMPER!! (AND TIRED) !! BUT I CAN'T STOP!!!

wow i fnally posted something!! i just hate typing is why i dont post much BUT i do read all of ya'lls post and i appreciate it very much!!!

Bpup
Manatee
Manatee
3,891 Posts

[Post New]by Bpup on Jun 7, 11 6:08 PM
Played the demo, and my reaction to it was just "meh". I obviously didn't play the same game that people here are raving about. The game was too dark and monochromatic for my taste, the graphics too boxy and crude. The pop-up menu on the bottom of the screen was annoying, it got in the way too often and blocked that direction. I didn't like the fact that the only place the demo let you interact with the game was in the house itself and the woodpile - all other paths outside were blocked and could only be accessed with the paid version.

I left the demo, saved my progress. When I resumed the game, it did load my saved position. But when I quit the second time, the game disappeared from the "My Games" tab of the Game Manager, and instead started to download again in the "In Progress" tab. Since there are no written or audible clues given when an action on the player's part doesn't work, I found it hard to distinguish between what I couldn't do and what was just a glitch on the game's part. I understand that adventure games are different creatures from the adventure iHOGs I usually play. But there was just nothing about this game that piqued my interest enough to overcome the dreary graphics and clunky controls.

A no-buy for me.

DriftNinja
Squid
Squid
68 Posts

[Post New]by DriftNinja on Jun 16, 11 11:12 PM
8/10

While i could be much much harsher.. being a Myst fan and all, it felt nothing like Myst.

Three things i did not like:
1. Lack of music
2. Puzzles were not very straightforward and felt to be on the annoying side more then fun... it was an OMG FINALLY feeling rather then YAY I DID IT finish.
3. Graphics were half-decent for a game like this at best... it feels as if some things were rushed.

The story on the other hand, was what got this an 8... seriously well thought out and written story, while some things in the beginning were hard to understand... it left you wanting more so it made you search for clues and further story. Items were difficult to find and some made you feel stupid as to where they were located. The story in the end is what makes these games worth the annoyance of some puzzles.

Overall, they should look to improve these things in the next game.

[Post New]by Galaxy101 on Jul 11, 11 6:15 AM
8/10

I enjoyed this game but found I needed the walkthrough as spent most of my time going round in circles without it! It took awhile to get used to the 1st party game play & the fact that there was no hint function. I did find the ending way too quick. Would've liked to go back to the house and having another wander around before the game finished.

Edited on 07/11/2011 at 6:16:56 AM PST

laurakay76
Guppy
Guppy
195 Posts

[Post New]by laurakay76 on Jul 26, 11 12:02 PM
Overall I wasn't impressed with this. I only played the demo, but the clunky graphics, unintuitive controls, and distinct lack of music really put me off. The puzzles were more annoying than anything. I watched a playthrough on YouTube - the story was FANTASTIC (I love Welsh mythology) and I thought everything seemed deliciously creepy, so full marks for that, but the ending? The ending was really poor by comparison. It was just very anti-climactic and I thought that such a good story frankly deserved better.

Liantara
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by Liantara on Oct 23, 11 12:18 PM
I just finished the game and have to say, that it is indeed a great adventure game and an even greater challenge. Unfortunately its lacking kinda everything that would put you into the place of the main character. Hardly any music, no talking of the main character (not even the standard "I might have use for this later...") - Nada. That kinda put me into the state of "Let's get done with it" somewhere around the second chapter, sorry.

The storyline is awesome, but I would have expected to get a lot more into it - feel with the main character, get thrilled by the appearances of the evil spirit, but unfortunately the developer failed utterly at this point to inherit sounds and talk.

3 of 5 stars for the game, nevertheless, but be warned, that its more or less like RIVEN (which was awesome as well, but also lacking the distinct usage of sounds and talk to 'feel' the story).

Liantara

[Post New]by dakotanprudle on Dec 23, 11 5:25 PM
Donot like this game! Annoying to me! Wandering around and around. graphics are good, the cursor is annoying! I'll Pass!

[Post New]by Madamechat on Dec 31, 11 3:41 PM
kiddledo wrote:Hate this game!!!!!would like to get my money back if that is possible. Love long stories and games but do not have the time to wander around and around..tried to play when it down loaded but with so little results... I quit. Not worth going step by step with the walk through blog
How about it, can I have a do over?

Exacly what I think!

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Jan 3, 12 1:57 PM
I finally finished the game, using the walkthrough the whole way. The story is interesting but I found navigation to be tedious. Using the map to jump to various outdoor locations was very helpful; I wish there had been one for rooms in buildings. And I having to wait for triggers to pick up items to be used later was annoying.

Quoting kfhemness.

Totally agree. Navigation was really hard for someone like me who has no sense of direction. The times I went in and out of the same doors is laughable. That is not the game's fault!! And I agree with the other fishie who said you don't get a 'yay' feeling - just a thank God for that I've done that bit feeling. Beautiful to look at. Unbelievably researched and in-depth story. Looking forward to the next game, but hope it isn't so clunky.

netizen
Guppy
Guppy
157 Posts

[Post New]by netizen on Jan 25, 12 10:27 PM
I purchased this game on its good reviews (don't always have time or bandwidth to demo first) but I've just uninstalled it. I really didn't like that you had to turn around (maybe 3 clicks) to get back to where you were. And, apart from the map, I found navigation to be a nightmare.

The game was very static - hardly any movement and a walkthrough was necessary if you didn't want to spend ages trying to work out what to do/where to go next, otherwise I would be quite often wandering around in a static game, in silence (yes, I had speakers on). In this regard, I found the game to be too slow to hold my interest.

I persevered with this game beyond what I would have, because I really wanted to like it - and for those of you who like it, that's great.

I don't like it. It's not for me. I'd suggest if possible, do demo this game first.

Go to: