rosiekb
Lobster
Lobster
86 Posts

Re:Your comments and reviews for 3 Cards to Dead Time!

[Post New]by rosiekb on Mar 13, 10 9:15 AM
A FANTASTIC game - kept my interest all the way through. More like this please Fishmeisters. xxx

rosiekb
Lobster
Lobster
86 Posts

[Post New]by rosiekb on Mar 13, 10 9:18 AM
You can speed read the dialogue and skip it by pressing the spacebar!!

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Mar 13, 10 12:21 PM
You can turn closed captions (subtitles) off once you've started the game proper.
Pressing the spacebar cancels the voice as well as the text.

roymovrich
Seahorse
Seahorse
32 Posts

[Post New]by roymovrich on Mar 14, 10 9:03 AM
Since I did not play the predecessor 3 Cards to Midnight, this style of game is new to me - and I must say I thoroughly enjoyed it!
To me, this is a different style of gameplay - the story is so woven into the game its impossible not to have one without the other. You have more work to do: you are not just playing the game but also making some sense of the story.
That's when I laugh my **** off reading some of the comments here. Seems like there's just no pleasing some people here. When the game is made deliberately dark, they'l complain its too dark; when there aren't enough puzzles or variety of puzzles, they'll complain its too simple; put in more puzzles and they'll complain it isn't a HOG; create more HOG scenes and they'll complain of not having enough puzzles; and when you FINALLY think you've satisfied them, they'll want large file games, which they'll then complain it takes too long to download ... yadda, yadda, yadda ...always carping and criticizing.
Have any of these naysayers ever looked at the EFFORT of creating such a game? 3 Cards to Midnight has beautiful scenes, and the most amazing thing of all - every one of the cut scenes is fully rendered in 3D! My mind boggles at the very thought of it! I've said this before, I'll say it again - why aren't these complaint kings/queens not producing their own ideal game? I'll dare to answer that question - its because they don't know how; because complaining is all they know how to do!
For me, I liked 3 Cards to Midnight. It was a refreshing change from the usual HOGs. So there!

grover3e
Lobster
Lobster
94 Posts

[Post New]by grover3e on Mar 15, 10 4:13 PM
Another winner! LOVED this game, and its predecessor. Really enjoyed the story and the way you have to figure out what the objects are before you locate them. I found some of the mini-games a bit tedious, but overall these two games are just below the MCFs for me, can I can't wait for another one!

Five stars of five!

jillaroogirl
Minnow
Minnow
299 Posts

[Post New]by jillaroogirl on Mar 18, 10 3:22 AM
I played this for 5 mins and stopped, LOL. I found it creepy as well as annoying...usually I will keep going until I hit the first mini game but after a couple of mins of play, I just wanted to stop.

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Mar 23, 10 1:28 PM
Jess' lisp has been cured, if nothing else!

I played it through twice, on challenge the second time (and chose the other story path). There's not really enough game and it seemed rather dumbed down after 3 cards to midnight.

The story isn't finished. I may get the next one.

[Post New]by Jim6622 on Apr 6, 10 12:40 PM
Is my game bugged? I just loaded it and in options it has fullscreen selected but it is in windowed mode (window is just open to fill screen). And there were no volume settings anywhere in options.. already not liking this one. I'll play on thru demo and see how it goes.

RedPoppies
Seahorse
Seahorse
37 Posts

[Post New]by RedPoppies on Apr 12, 10 12:02 AM
Oh my goodness! That was the most boring game I've ever played!! What's with all the interruptions? Kinda slow on the cursor pickup too, and the mini games need a bit of work - like instructions that you can understand. The only one I completed was the record and that didn't even work! I'd give it a C+ - could do better.

cche
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
401 Posts

[Post New]by cche on Apr 13, 10 12:14 AM
Roughly 6 hours of play for me. HOG with puzzles, but the story is the thing. It contains clues you will need to solve later puzzles. Three levels of difficulty, with the distinctions being mostly the number of objects you must find and the availability of hints. I played on the "gamer" level, which for me resulted in a nice balance between story and search. Most of the puzzles are moderately easy, though there was one which I chose to look up in the walkthrough, a "connect the dots" with extra dots, and I had no idea as to what I might be trying to draw. Solution did connect to the story, but there is so much story that I simply couldn't see an answer. HOG screens are a pretty good challenge. Nothing really tiny or invisible, but a few items are hard to identify. I found that I was using all the hints and needed more, yet I felt that the answers were for the most part reasonable. In gamer mode, if you click an incorrect item more than 5 times, you will need to start the scene over, so after a couple tries you will be able to solve the scene. That was OK with me. There is some replay-ability, as there are more categories of items to find than are used in a given play. (Often an item will appear in more than one category; click it for one category and it is found in all categories, so if you are having trouble with one category it pays to try another.)

Graphics are good, though I sure wouldn't have minded a bit more sharpness. HOG scenes usually had some ambient activity, often of the creepy sort. Not much to shock one, but those who dislike horror tales should probably give this one a pass. The cut scenes well done, though it seems much is sacrificed to keep cost and file size under control.

Voice acting is well above average, and there is a great deal of it.

Music is original, but there seems to be just one (fairly long) loop Not irritating, but not special in my mind.

The story itself is told in a fairly disjointed manner; which together with the fact that it is told in small segments makes it a bit hard to follow.

Over all, I found it quite enjoyable and well worth the price.
6.5 of 10 on my personal scale.

netnanna
Guppy
Guppy
146 Posts

[Post New]by netnanna on Apr 15, 10 2:58 PM
GREAT!!! Better than 3CTM. Graphics have improved so that objects are easier to distinguish and movie clips run much smoother. A very novel concept, hope there are more to come in this genre. The only downside was the family tree puzzle, but with the Skip option it wasn't a problem. Thanks BFG for your innovations. Keep them coming!!!

Capthowdy64
Minnow
Minnow
268 Posts

[Post New]by Capthowdy64 on Apr 22, 10 6:14 PM
I agree with Kit hands down! The gameplay elements are really different but I sat there going "Can I play now?" evidently you can read a book every 3 minutes while the dumb game rambles on.I can see a cut scene moving the story but this was ridiculous.An all time low for me

I am at the last Chapter, realized I didn't get the girl ghosts baby dolls head, how do I do that?

[Post New]by toscam on May 9, 10 3:45 PM
bfgZambezi wrote:Hey Fishies!

What do you think of 3 Cards to Dead Time? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments and reviews in this thread! Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

[Post New]by Carole2512 on May 21, 10 4:53 AM
I loved the puzzles on 3 cards to midnight, and expected more of the same. The hidden object rounds and puzzles were too simple. The storyline was good, but I would have preferred more of a challenge.

Laflamme
Stingray
Stingray
4,512 Posts

[Post New]by Laflamme on Jun 12, 10 12:35 AM
This game is not so much about love it or hate it but about something else.

Played the first one? Then you are probably interested in how the plot goes on.
Didn't play the first one? You might not have a clue what's going on.

Do you care about the story? Then you'll probably like it.
Do not care about the story? Why the f are you playing games anyway? At least for me the story is THE integral selling point of the game and I don't know why people are skipping it. (In this case, if you are skipping it, well done, you'll have no chance solving some puzzles.)

One point before I come to the summary: I have never seen so much crap posted about a game. "I can't skip the dialogue." MEEEEEP! WRONG! Did you see that big button labeled "SKIP" on the lower right side of the screen? Oh well, apparently not. But then again, you also didn't find the space bar to skip the dialogue intro. Space Bar? Yes, that's that big empty button on the lower end of your keyboard.

No replayability? Yes, that's exactly why the developer offers a story choice in chapter 4 and two modes of difficulty. Although I admit the first game had 3 choices of difficulty.

Okay, about the game itself. They vamped up the presentation considerably. It now plays in real fullscreen instead of just a teensy weensy 1024 * 768 window in a 1920 * 1080 screen. Although now there is no lip movement for reasons unknown.

Instead of prefixes and suffixes you are guessing categories now. They have been explained in previous posts. Ah by the way, this game has exactly the same amount of cut scenes as the predecessor since it offers the same amount of chapters and there is one video per category (like one video per solved word).

There are two points that I did not like with the game:

1) Mini Puzzles: Mostly okay, but three of them stumped me:

- Psychometry: Okay, I correctly identified the category of the item, for example, it belongs to a woman. But then I get a choice of two items and four women and no further clue how to distribute the four items.

- Simon says on the phone. Should be trivial, but the beep tones are different then the ones played on the flute. I'm sorry, but I really do not have the time to try out 50000 ways to solve it - gimme a clue!

- Inventions: Okay, this may be my fault that I don't know when all those things have been invented. But googling the exact dates didn't help either. Okay, it helped with the telephone (1876) and the telescope (1608). (continued)

Laflamme
Stingray
Stingray
4,512 Posts

[Post New]by Laflamme on Jun 12, 10 12:39 AM
It did not help with the thermometer, which was invented in 1865 (not 1638); the radio, which was invented in 1877 (not 1895) and young Louis Braille invented his form of communication in 1825, not 1821. Please, dear developers, get your facts straight!

I also had some technical difficulties ending the game, those are mentioned in the appropriate thread.

Bottom Line: In principle a great game since I cared about the story, slightly dimmed by a few points that could have done better. Looking forward to the next game in the series.

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

[Post New]by textrekkie on Jul 18, 10 12:41 PM
Loved it--but didn't think the mini-games were up to snuff.

[Post New]by robbauer on Jul 29, 10 1:58 AM
Without a doubt the worst game I've ever played. Cut scenes literally every couple of clicks of the mouse. You'd find 3 hidden objects and then you'd have cut scene, find 3 more and another cut scene. Absolutely infuriating. On top of that the voice acting is dreadful. Some of the hidden object concepts were interestingly done, but the constant interruptions from cut scenes kills off any chance this game has. EPIC FAIL!!!

oma420
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by oma420 on Aug 16, 10 5:52 PM
BORING, BORING, BORING

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Sep 19, 10 11:57 AM

I love games with alot of story...if I just wanted just HOG I'd play Mystery PI, (the only mystery being what happened to the story).
I bought this after buying the first Card at DD today.

Go to: