anonymiss
Guppy
Guppy
109 Posts

Re:Comments and Reviews for Millennium Secrets: Emerald Curse

[Post New]by anonymiss on Mar 21, 10 4:28 PM
Lasted 10 minutes with this game before deleting it. Dark and, frankly, boring. The thing that really killed it for me however was the graphics. When was this developed - 1999? Umm.. thanks, but no thanks.

rubylace66
Guppy
Guppy
162 Posts

[Post New]by rubylace66 on Mar 21, 10 5:37 PM
hi...this is my first post ..even tho i have been buying big fish games for ever..i just want to say that it is always interesting to read everyones comments..both for and against ,,as it helps me to make up my mind as to which games to buy
i think emerald curse is the most fantastic game..absolutely love it and will buy
thanks big fish for giving us many hours of enjoyment
rubylace66

slepless777
Guppy
Guppy
121 Posts

[Post New]by slepless777 on Mar 21, 10 7:13 PM
I made the mistake of starting to play this game around 10.30pm, it's now 3am and I've just finished it. I just couldn't stop playing!

Loved it! Great IHOG game, reminded me of Annabel which I liked very much as well.

It wasn't too difficult, yet it was still challenging enough to keep me from getting bored. I used the hint system maybe once or twice and skipped 2 mini-games towards the end.

Given the complaints about the graphics from other posters, I was expecting the worst, but it really wasn't so bad at all. I actually liked the old school feel.

Also, is it me or was one of the character's voices the same one as the one in the first Nick Chase HOG game?

Anyhoo, great game!! Thanx BF!

Edited on 03/21/2010 at 7:14:55 PM PST

abarrett
Clownfish
Clownfish
990 Posts

[Post New]by abarrett on Mar 21, 10 8:27 PM
I , too, find the comments about the "old school" graphics to be a bit harsh. We may be spoiled by other game developers that make games with great graphics at the expense of a storyline, correct use if the English language, and smoothly running game. I remember playing Kings Quest I with all the pixilated (sp) graphics, yet the game was great because the story was good and playing it was fun. For what ever reason, the developers decided to go with this style of graphics, and the graphics are by no means horrible. It is an interesting game and I plan on using my monthly credit on it.

[Post New]by indigo_ladybug on Mar 21, 10 10:21 PM
Awesome game. So much for going to bed early. Wow, didn't realize an hour was really 5 minutes!

Graphics: 4/5 some is chunky, but I think all in all, pretty darn good. The only thing that got me is, why do women (in particular) are always curvaceous babes (well, ok that one is obvious), and have bent knees. There MUST be bathrooms somewhere! Sheesh!

Sound: I liked the voice overs, not too many, not too few. Just right.

Music: it skipped a couple of times (noted that in the tech issues), but rather engaging, and I liked the guitar piece, but, there are only a coupe of "tunes".

Game play: sweet, simple, and a little easy at times, but at least with this one, the logic makes sense, and its fairly easy to follow. I love the inventory system ,and also the minigames. The skip button charges fairly easily. There are only 1 or 2 that got my nerves going, so I skipped.

Hint: you get to find a set of objects, and earn 3 hints. I used 2 or 3 hints during the demo (as I wanted to get as much done as possible

I enjoyed the realistic facial expressions, and the added little touch, the cigar burning the pic, the dvds, the fact that its actually in 2010 (well, for the most part), rather than 1900 or 1920's.

I will definitely buy this one. I think this is an example to BF as to what a quality game is. There are very few problems, (for me anyways it was only the downloading -which has nothing to do with the game, I've had issues with other games), and also with the sound skipping.

There was obviously a LOT of thought, polishing, and working out the kinks before it was published, and I as a (future) customer, truly appreciate that.

My only gnnn, is, the loading, BUT, I do take into consideration the graphics/imagery and sound so its not so gnnn after all.

My only other gnnn is, when Jane is done a chapter, it immediately sends her to the "right" place (I was stunned when I skipped from the castle to the brotherhood - what they advertise in the white pages where they are? lol!)

Truly however, this is an awesome game. I just wish hours were longer. (or the demos ;P )

Thank you, to the developers, and to BF for bringing this one out.

Cheers! Cynthia

[Post New]by lindala1955 on Mar 21, 10 11:25 PM
Very much enjoyed this game. Looking forward to the next....

Edited on 03/21/2010 at 11:27:05 PM PST

minxs
Clownfish
Clownfish
615 Posts

!

[Post New]by minxs on Mar 22, 10 12:46 AM
I noticed this was similar to Annabel too -- it turns out it's made by the same people. You can really tell by the thuggish villains, if nothing else.

Are Lord Scofield and Kate going to end up together? Please, yes! (Although I wish they'd get the titles right. I don't think this really is Lord James Scofield, which would make him the second or younger, non-inheriting son of a Duke or Marquess whose surname is Scofield. But then, maybe -- younger sons have to make a living some way.)

Count me in as one who liked it, shrieked when the demo ended, and bought it.

BossBrat
Minnow
Minnow
285 Posts

[Post New]by BossBrat on Mar 22, 10 9:32 AM
WOW! For the first time, in a long while, an interesting storyline! It actually made sense! I thoroughly enjoyed this game and look forward to the next chapter!

I agree with some of you that the things you had to 'find' seemed to be located in the same sort of places in every scene: drawers, walls, floors, etc., but I actually felt like I was on the adventure myself! It was great fun.

I'm 50 years old, so I've seen a LOT of games, bought a lot of games and been disappointed in MANY games as well. This, however, was not a disappointment and I definitely give it 4 out of 5 on the Brat Scale, lol!

Masanders
Guppy
Guppy
124 Posts

[Post New]by Masanders on Mar 22, 10 10:31 AM
Lily_Lane wrote:. . . I wish our investigator didn't need to totter around bowleggedly (is that a word?) on high heels the whole time.

. . . . . .

I certainly prefer this sort of hidden object search to looking for pointless junk. If I have to find one more hourglass, sock or sunflower, I'm going to gouge my eyes out with a spoon!

sbyrd
Squid
Squid
70 Posts

[Post New]by sbyrd on Mar 22, 10 11:28 AM
Great little game..enjoyed the demo immensely...I am putting it on my "to buy" list

floof
Starfish
Starfish
47 Posts

[Post New]by floof on Mar 22, 10 12:35 PM
I can't wait until the sequal is released. I loved this game!!!! . No technical problems. Good story line, easy games that were fun and not frustrating.
By far this is one of the best games I have played. A big 10 out of 10

loudlife
Guppy
Guppy
158 Posts

[Post New]by loudlife on Mar 22, 10 12:44 PM
Okay, did I accidentally skip something? I can't figure out when she picked up the antidote? The big box thing went into the lava and the next thing you know the bad guy is there with a gun...? I don't want to replay the game so soon - can anyone help me with this detail?

[Post New]by magnoliajem on Mar 22, 10 1:53 PM
Lynnet67 wrote:I love this game and I am going to get it with my credit.....

Wow Lynne567! You have a lot more self-control than I do if you haven't used your credit this far along in the month! LOL

[Post New]by leahlive1 on Mar 22, 10 2:01 PM
I would just like to comment that I very much enjoyed this game. I find that many of the games have a lot of dark overtones and this one was one for the good guys. I found the mini-games to be engaging and that the game lasted long enough that I didn't feel ripped off like a lot of the shorter games leave me feeling. (Still waiting for a Dire Grove level game to come along soon......)

Enjoy the game!

anonymiss
Guppy
Guppy
109 Posts

[Post New]by anonymiss on Mar 22, 10 5:25 PM
abarrett wrote:I , too, find the comments about the "old school" graphics to be a bit harsh. We may be spoiled by other game developers that make games with great graphics at the expense of a storyline, correct use if the English language, and smoothly running game. I remember playing Kings Quest I with all the pixilated (sp) graphics, yet the game was great because the story was good and playing it was fun. For what ever reason, the developers decided to go with this style of graphics, and the graphics are by no means horrible. It is an interesting game and I plan on using my monthly credit on it.

Totally agree with your assessment of the Kings Quest series (I also loved the Leisure Suit Larry series & the Laura Bow mysteries - Sierra Games were the *best* IMO). I can still play Kings Quest and LSL today and enjoy them as much as I did back in the late 80's / early 90's because, as you say, the stories behind the games were great - really kept you interested (particularly with LSL, who always was, and still is, great for a laugh! )

It wasn't just the graphics that turned me off this game. I can't quite put my finger on it - I can still play Doom, Quake and even Wolfenstein (which by today's graphics standards are way outdated) and enjoy them, however, Emerald Curse just didn't 'float my boat'. True, the graphics just do not appeal to me, however, the story itself I personally found boring, so all in all, it just wasn't for me.

I'm glad so many other people like it - the world would be a very boring place if we all liked, or disliked, the same things. Happy gaming to all!

Edited on 03/22/2010 at 5:31:28 PM PST

seahorsequeen
Guppy
Guppy
143 Posts

[Post New]by seahorsequeen on Mar 22, 10 7:25 PM
Wasn't expecting to like it,but I did funnily enough, think that's because it's a change of style for me but still a HOG.Definitely on the "to buy" list.Happy gaming everyone.

CiCiRR
Lobster
Lobster
84 Posts

[Post New]by CiCiRR on Mar 22, 10 7:48 PM
I found this game to be really easy. After all, how much brain power is needed to open drawers and doors. I didn't buy the game - after the hour trial, the only thing I could think of was "been there - done that". The "puzzles" weren't particularly puzzling. A little more imagination in gameplay would've gone a long way.

Save your money for a game that has a little more imagination than opening drawers and doors.

Edited on 03/22/2010 at 7:51:59 PM PST

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Mar 23, 10 12:39 PM
I think its more an adventure game then a hog. Not my cup of tea.

rita9720
Seahorse
Seahorse
34 Posts

[Post New]by rita9720 on Mar 23, 10 1:43 PM
Excellent!! Very different and mind boggling at times but altogether GREAT!!!

nanaseaweed
Guppy
Guppy
191 Posts

[Post New]by nanaseaweed on Mar 24, 10 11:05 AM
nanaseaweed wrote:Just adding my 2 cents worth! I'm new to game playing so I can not compare it to much. I liked my one hour trial. I was entertained and I played the relaxed or easy mode. Probably a buy for me in the near future.
Nana

Just an update. I did buy the game. It kept me busy for days!

SPOiLER ALERT!!

I loved the tunnel ride, it felt so real! The Oceanarium was beautiful too ! The ending was a little dark for me. But I thought the game was good fun most of the time.

Go to: