MoreOver
Clownfish
Clownfish
853 Posts

Re:Comments and Reviews for Island: The Lost Medallion

[Post New]by MoreOver on Mar 29, 10 11:00 AM
What a pleasant surprise! I waited and waited until Mortimer Beckett: Lost King came out, bought into the hype and was sorely disappointed with it. Then this little gem comes along and all is well with the world. Mortimer, take a hike.

Love fragmented objects and there are plenty of them. Also many more hidden object scenes than usual - I suspect many developers pad their games with dialog rather than game play but not so in this case.

Mini-games are skippable (thank goodness, since I hate them) and those I didn't skip were just too easy to pass.

I'd give this one 5-fins up. Thanks, BF!

basiakosia
Minnow
Minnow
277 Posts

[Post New]by basiakosia on Mar 29, 10 12:01 PM
DL the demo and will definitely buy this one. I really enjoy the FROGS. I'm not as descriptive as everyone else (why I'm not an author I guess:-)so I'll just say that the graphics are nice and crisp, storyline is good, and I especially like being able to choose what to use my hint on. Although it took me longer to find some items it wasn't because everything was dark and blurry.

Rose_Ann
Starfish
Starfish
46 Posts

[Post New]by Rose_Ann on Mar 29, 10 12:05 PM
I really enjoyed the game. It is a good mix of adventure, hidden objects (with both item lists and fractured objects) and mini-games. I needed hints to find some of the fragments. It is not a difficult game.

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Mar 29, 10 1:47 PM
I like this game enough for buying it today with the -30 % discount code. Another great game!

exact
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
434 Posts

[Post New]by exact on Mar 29, 10 7:30 PM
I liked this game a lot. It's tricky, stumbled twice but finally figured it out Good for the old brain! Exact

[Post New]by twolittlehorses on Mar 30, 10 1:16 AM
Fantastic game!!!

Hints to be successful:

Read messages at the top of the frame.
Read notepad/journal for hints and tips. The documentation on this game is terriffic.
Items are small but easy to find if you take your time.
Hints refill fast so use them the first time.

Game designer for this game requires thinking a different way from most of the games.
If you can not find an item look away from the screen, then look back. You can try too hard to find the items.

Loved the game.

twolittlehorses4me

irishlou
Starfish
Starfish
51 Posts

[Post New]by irishlou on Mar 30, 10 1:49 AM
What a great game. Finished demo and decided to buy it, have not been disappointed up to now. It has a good mixture of fragmented/hidden object scenes. I find now when a game is just one hidden object scene after another I get bored very quickly.

Mistickel
Lobster
Lobster
92 Posts

[Post New]by Mistickel on Mar 30, 10 2:30 AM
This one is interactive, hidden objects and fragmented objects. It had nice scenes with clear graphics. Interesting story. It has some new, different mini games and some the same. Right amount of objects to find in each scene. Hints reload quickly. Good challenge, makes you think without being frustrating.

I liked it, but here is where it lost me and I wont buy unless it's on sale.....too many TINY objects. Another problem I had was the flow. I had collected the light bulb, the key and the ladder, but not yet all of the photo. I kept trying to use my inventory items all over that room. It wasnt logical leading you from one thing to the next. When I clicked on the hint button and the item, all it did was give me some lame answer like the light bulb can be used to light up something or the ladder can be used to reach something--gee really?

My overall feeling about this one is EKKKK, a shame it wasnt a little better, I would have jumped on it.

SherrieS
Minnow
Minnow
275 Posts

[Post New]by SherrieS on Mar 30, 10 6:10 AM
Well since it was Poohbear approved, I DL the game.
I really liked it--Good graphics, (I shut off music most time & listen ti my own or the TV)
I'm enjoying the fragments & **** & mini games, little (skippable) dialog.
I will probably but it after the first.
Time factor-by end of demo I was stuck on the boat, so I made it a little further than most. I'm sure as long as I don't peak at walkthrough it will be worth the freebie

Diana_Mc
Minnow
Minnow
269 Posts

[Post New]by Diana_Mc on Mar 30, 10 6:26 AM
I finished this one yesterday and found it became extremely repetitious. The fragments were never quite as bad as in the demo, although I did use the hints from time to time.

It kept following the same basic formula over and over: junkpile search, fragment search, relatively simple puzzle with instructions.

I only skipped two puzzles and those were the 'Simon' repeating ones (there are 3). I somehow completed 3 other puzzzles without understanding what the heck I was doing so I'm not sure what was up there; one was the math one. I understood the concept but not their directions but never hit the "skip" button. Most of them were no-brainers with the instructions onscreen or in the log.

Some of the graphics are quite nice and HOGs are challenging but the storyline wasn't really interesting. I do see why it was slipped in on sale day, LOL. It's not awful but I've certainly played better games. I'd rate it as an okay DD.

joy4u
Starfish
Starfish
51 Posts

[Post New]by joy4u on Apr 1, 10 1:23 AM
vicalana wrote:I'm not crazy about fragmented objects either. I too wasn't disappointed when the demo ended. It's a no from me, though I really wanted to like the game.

nightmusk
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

[Post New]by nightmusk on Apr 3, 10 1:18 AM
i like this one
will def buy
i like the idea of looking for fragmented bits
makes the game more challenging and interesting
although in places i got stuck
and had to look at the walkthrough
but i try not to do this too much
unless i really get stuck

Eliran
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by Eliran on Apr 3, 10 4:02 PM
Finished the game this morning and found it to be quite enjoyable. Maybe not "Wow!" but still very good. I liked the combination of HOGs, FROGs, adventure, and puzzle aspects. Some of the objects were small, but not impossible to find. Hints recharge pretty quickly.

The one aspect that was "Wow!" was the graphics-- lush, sharp, detailed, beautiful. Oh, and the music was very fitting, too.

Definitely worth the Spring Fever sale price. Only gripe was with technical aspect-- I couldn't run the game on my laptop (and I've NEVER had problems running any BFG game before), and though it ran on my desktop, the mouse was a bit sluggish. Not a HUGE deal, but enough to take a bit of enjoyment out of the game.

joy4u
Starfish
Starfish
51 Posts

[Post New]by joy4u on Apr 4, 10 6:37 AM
r3t1r3d wrote:Love this game. Has all the different elements in it that I really like in a game. Didnot want to leave the fishing boat by the dock, it was so peaceful, felt like I was on vacation. ( which is needed desperately)
I have just finished the game and absolutely loved it, wish I could find some more games like this one.

[Post New]by emilialucinda on Apr 4, 10 8:28 AM
I was not overly impressed by this game. The graphics are phenomenal and the game runs smoothly, but the game is very short and the mini games I was not a fan of. The instructions for the mini games were not the clearest and I found myself skipping through them. I do not personally recommend it. 2 out of 5.

revbecca
Squid
Squid
67 Posts

[Post New]by revbecca on Apr 4, 10 8:06 PM
Just had my first opportunity to play this one, and I will pass on it. I don't like the way the hint medallion works AT ALL! Fragments are extremely difficult to find. And as a language purist, I also get frustrated when the sentences are poorly written. I realize this has probably been translated from another language into English; but how difficult is it to find a native speaker to at least run this by before publishing it?

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Apr 5, 10 10:16 AM
TerryMann wrote:Thank You- Angelfish106- That is the reason why, I do not like IHO's. So darn frustrating, I was trying explain why I don't like IHO's on another thread- but I didn't think the words came out right. But you described perfectly why I don't like 'em. I get so annoyed when something may be hidden under something else, why not tell first- before I am there clicking on every single item. TMann

You're very welcome! Just wondering if you changed your mind and bought this game? I might go back to it if comes out as a DD, now I know where that darn door is!!

Evemaja
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by Evemaja on Apr 6, 10 4:35 AM
I feel like the lone ranger because I haven't seen any posts objecting to language. There's a point in the game where a "bad word" is used and I was surprised to see it in a Big Fish game, then disappointed. I understand that lots of people find it "ok" but all I can say is, I'm glad I was the one playing it and not one of the kids cuz I had time to uninstall it before they could see that. It leaves me leery of games I buy in the future.

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Apr 6, 10 6:57 AM
my eyes are still recovering from trying to see the objects. boring game imo. no sale here!

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Apr 6, 10 7:02 AM
MoreOver wrote:What a pleasant surprise! I waited and waited until Mortimer Beckett: Lost King came out, bought into the hype and was sorely disappointed with it. Then this little gem comes along and all is well with the world. Mortimer, take a hike.

Love fragmented objects and there are plenty of them. Also many more hidden object scenes than usual - I suspect many developers pad their games with dialog rather than game play but not so in this case.

Mini-games are skippable (thank goodness, since I hate them) and those I didn't skip were just too easy to pass.

I'd give this one 5-fins up. Thanks, BF!

i wish that BF would get the mortimer game, i played the demo pon another site and it is excellent!

Go to: