Re:Comments and Reviews for 'The Fateful Voyage - Titanic'

[Post New]by rosie28sammy on Mar 30, 10 7:21 AM
I usually try to skip the dialogue on the demo in order to get through as much of a game as possible, but in this case I faithfully went through it all. Maybe that was why I was a little confused as to the plot of the game. Maybe it all became clear at the end. The basic premise is that the main character and her husband are leaving to go to the US on the Titanic. Her mother doesn't want her to go so she winds up on the ship as well. There is also another little boy with whom the main character meets beforehand and he shows up as a stowaway. After that part, it became unclear as to why the main character was doing what she was doing. I mean, how many people really think to search their husband's stateroom to find a hidden passageway? I was also trying not to get to involved with the characters since it was possible they wouldn't make it in the end

As far as the game play, it was interesting although the hints sometimes were not helpful, although they do reload fast. There is also no penalty for random clicking. The graphics were good, clear, and bright so it isn't impossible to find hidden objects. I am not bothered by finding objects that aren't historically accurate, but if you are, this game will irritate you. The voices were pleasant and the music nice. The minigames were interesting and it was nice to see that the skip for them didn't take forever to load. Unfortunately they do not have an instructions so you have to either know ahead of time what to do or skip. Overall a nice game. If I hadn't already filled 3 game cards this month I would purchase it now, but I will be purchasing it next month.

Edited on 03/30/2010 at 7:22:52 AM PST

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Mar 30, 10 7:27 AM
At the end of the day, I found it to be totally silly. I did like it that it was said 'there is nothing for me to do here' so you know you need to move on, but she sees a sarcophagus and thinks 'I'll take the shroud'????? VERY odd. I liked the way you were helped, but the tasks were so illogical I gave up.

sunnny
Manatee
Manatee
3,945 Posts

[Post New]by sunnny on Mar 30, 10 7:36 AM
I bought the game, but must say that I don't remember the last time,
I was so frustrated with an IHOG.
While it is true that I tend to get lost, at least I know where I want to
go and eventually find it.

In this game, the wandering seems haphazard and even
though the hidden object scenes are not too bad,many times
I have to wonder, what I found amd what on earth I am going
to do with it.
I like to play minigames, but I must know the objective.

At one point it was getting to me, so I tried to kill the husband
with a pineapple, but of course the good wife would not let me
Right now I found an Object in the mummy's coffin and
with all that is available on board a ship, I try to break it
with potatoes?
I don't think so

stringjr
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by stringjr on Mar 30, 10 7:37 AM
I can't comment as I can't play it, the screen just shakes.

Lauralei
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

[Post New]by Lauralei on Mar 30, 10 7:44 AM
Oh, but goofyduck, they got so much right. I was mesmerized by the pains they took to bring us on board Titanic just as she was. In addition to the rooms, they gave us the cranes, a glimpse of gymnasium on the promenade deck, the wall paneling, the grand staircase, wooden benches, wheel house, dumb waiter. Like Cowboy, I was startled and delighted by the resemblance to the real Captain Smith. I saw some anachronisms, too, but they didn't bother me or diminish the game.

The swimming bath had a detail I never noticed before or perhaps never existed on the real Titanic. That's the row of doors along the left wall. Hmm, makes sense to have private dressing rooms. Accurate? I don't know but it seems more in tune with the modesty of Victorian ladies who wouldn't change in a communal ''locker room.'' And so the quest to know Titanic better goes on.

For a casual game the developers did a heck of a job. For me, this was a marvelous ''large file adventure game'' with a smattering of HOG's and a wonderful variety of puzzles. The essence of adventure games is exploring and figuring what to do next. Adventurers resist walkthroughs, if sometimes with clenched jaw and dogged persistence . Never thought a game could surpass Cyberflix's ''Titanic, Adventure out of Time'' but in many way this game did.

It's definitely a love it - hate it game with great arguments on both sides. I sometimes wonder if it isn't a left brain, right brain thing; we're hardwired to prefer one type of game over another.

lushknight
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by lushknight on Mar 30, 10 9:37 AM
Poodlebear wrote:Nope, not for me.

I found this game almost instantly annoying. I LOVE interactive inventory puzzles and the new adventure game, sort of a "light" version of point and click, BUT there has to be some logic to the tasks taken on. I want the characters behavior to make sense in the given situation. I can't really describe my frustrations without spoilers, but suffice it to say while I found the dockside tasks a bit far fetched I found the first tasks on board downright nonsensical. It's not that it's difficult per se, it just makes no earthly sense that anyone would do these things or have this behavior. Add to that some of the sloppiest junkpiling of unnecessary Hidden Object scenes and I just found myself rolling my eyes and wondering what happened between Hidden Mysteries: Buckingham Palace (which I quite enjoyed) and this. I mean gve me strength, a peace sign in 1912? what's next a cell phone? Can we keep our junk piles, which in the context of a Luxury Liner make no sense anyway, in period at least?

Then there are the mini games, though only encountered a couple before bailing. There was a maze that wasn't fun, but it was easy. Then there was the card game. No instruction at all and the hint just lets you skip it. I don't want to skip it, but I'd at least like a clue how to proceed. By this time my annoyance factor was already high so that was the last straw. Where I normally enjoy fiddling around with a mini-game w/o instructions to see if I can figure it I just had no compulsion to go on.

I found the voice acting minimal at best and the story far fetched and not compelling. Graphics are clear but unappealing. Only positives I can find is custom cursor is optional and the hints recharge quickly, tho they aren't terribly helpful. I made less than 40 minutes of the demo.

yep, nobody sums it up better than Poodlebear.

dollyflower
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,373 Posts

[Post New]by dollyflower on Mar 30, 10 9:57 AM
I agree that the graphics are great, but my main objection is that there is too much conversation and not enough action. I only played the demo for about hafl an hour before I got tired of all the dialog. Just didn't hold my interest.

kdubs
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,480 Posts

[Post New]by kdubs on Mar 30, 10 10:39 AM
Oh My.....I should have listened.

All has been said by others, so I was forewarned. But me, I just had to see for myself. In 3 words "Not-For-Me".

edited to soften my 1-word opinion. it was too blunt as i was still grumpy from the trial, all 8 minutes of it. I don't want to offend anyone who is enjoying the game.

Edited on 03/30/2010 at 1:45:21 PM PST

[Post New]by Annabelle0926 on Mar 30, 10 4:25 PM
If there was a way to turn off the dialog I would buy this game. The main character talking all the time is beyond annoying. I can overlook the items that shouldn't be in the game for that time period & the things she does that make no sense. What irritated me most of all was her sighing before she told me I was doing the wrong thing! Just be quiet already.

[Post New]by kayjay2502 on Mar 30, 10 4:58 PM
As you can see, I rarely comment on the forums, although I read a lot of opinions and comments on various games and topics, but this time I felt like saying I'm with the ones who didn't like it, just couldn't get into it, only played about 20 mins of the demo and was bored stiff, so I definitely will not be buying it. I know I didn't give the demo very long but I just couldn't be bothered with it, something about it just didn't capture my attention enough to persevere. It's very rare that I don't at least finish the hour before deciding whether to buy or not but this one, well,,,,, so sorry all those fishies that love it, this one is not for me.

redroo
Guppy
Guppy
169 Posts

[Post New]by redroo on Mar 30, 10 11:13 PM
Well I liked this game. Reasonable length, things to think about and a bit quirky with the main character who is terribly British. Even with the ship sinking she had to tidy up the wine cellar!!
Beautiful graphics and a story....

Mistickel
Lobster
Lobster
92 Posts

[Post New]by Mistickel on Mar 31, 10 1:53 AM
Wow this one really annoyed me. I love these type of iHOGs, but I had alot of problems with this one. To start the cut in scenes lagged and too much clicking on characters to talk to them. When I got the boarding pass from her mother the cursor disappeared. Turning off the custom cursor seemed to take care of that.

There was no continuity between the tasks and the storyline. I have no patience when there's no logic to what you need to do, ie. use the lipstick on a statue? Who would do that? I rarely use walk throughs, but had to with this one about 10 mins. in.

I survived to the next level to where you put the birthday code into the lock. After several tries and another peek at the walk through, it occured to me in all other countries, dates are abbreviated day-month-year, plus also I was putting in 1867 instead of just 67.

Giving the boy the cards had a purpose, however I had no empathy or motive to find the little brat his book. What do I care that he made a mess, but ok do as I must to move along. The husband was so condescending to her, I wanted to yell at her, "You're leaving your family to go overseas with this jerk?"

I did 3 sets of hidden objects and the items were clear, not tiny, but yet easy to find, not cleverly hidden.

Needless to say, I will pass on this on, cant wait to uninstall it.

Seji
Guppy
Guppy
120 Posts

[Post New]by Seji on Mar 31, 10 6:27 AM
Great game!

Not your usual HOG that become so b o r i n g after a while. The graphics are nice. The storyline is nice and it's a well made game.

I enjoyed it. I just wish it wasn't so short.

[Post New]by deer609 on Mar 31, 10 10:05 AM
I seem to be stuck, the skip puzzle doesn't seem to fill up enough for me to use it. I just don't like the game. Wasted my $ on it. There really isn't any help option.

cjpandie
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by cjpandie on Mar 31, 10 1:58 PM
susielee wrote:This is not for me. I didn't like it at all. The graphics are not crisp and clear - more fuzzy and grainy. I hate all the clicking on people to get them to talk. The game is very confusing. You really need the walkthrough to carry you step by step because there's no clue what you should do.

cjpandie
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by cjpandie on Mar 31, 10 2:00 PM
[b]I have never commented on any game before. but this one is rediculous. Too hard to figure out what you are suppose to be doing.

[Post New]by kris_cross48 on Mar 31, 10 2:28 PM
what a fine game...what a terribly sad story. I've read so much on the Titanic and this visual really puts it clearly. The Bonus section was quite painful, the Captain wasn't responsible for all the things that happened that night, but he took the hit anyway.

Some things you could have added...the fact that there were no binoculars for the 2 men on watch. The fact that the president of White Star Line snuck into a lifeboat. The fact that so many life boats were half full And of course, how an american clipper ignored the distress flares while an English Ship, The Carpathian, came to the rescue, although too late. The locking up of the irish downstairs. The music that played throughout the sinking. The memorial in Canada,

Thank you for making this game, it had a reason to exist and will teach everyone playing it about caring for others and the art of being honerable.

Kris H.

bbelle
Clownfish
Clownfish
795 Posts

[Post New]by bbelle on Apr 1, 10 9:18 AM
Just finished the game and loved it. I could not have done without the walkthru though. Glad I bought it. My type of game.

Slite
Minnow
Minnow
212 Posts

[Post New]by Slite on Apr 1, 10 9:25 AM
Wow -- I'm surprised this game isn't more popular. But I guess I need to realize the depth of antipathy toward adventure games on this site. To each their own. For me this is one of the three best IHOG games in the New Releases area; the other two being Millennium Secrets and Briar Rose.

There is some ridiculousness to the character's actions, but that amused me more than bothered me. Anyway, I'm accustomed to adventure characters acting in somewhat ridiculous ways. I thought it was hilarious how readily she destroyed that crate on the dock in order to steal the cards. I can see it being frustrating to a player who is reluctant to consider those actions, but that wasn't a problem for me. I promise I am not nearly so immoral in my personal life, however.
I will agree with others who criticized the use of anachronistic items in the HOG sections.

I thought the voice acting was mostly excellent. And it included a feature I wish all these games had -- you can immediately click to end the dialogue. That way you don't have to listen to dialogue you've already heard.

The puzzles I encountered had variety, freshness and charm. The card puzzle was perplexing but to me that was a good thing. Plus, it's solvable even if you don't figure out every facet to the puzzle.

Perhaps the best element of the game to me was how integrated the story and the puzzles were. Adding story has become a mantra in computer games but I rarely see it nearly so well integrated in games meant for the casual market.

I found the graphics refreshingly clear and clean and the cut scenes quite beautiful. The game felt a little closer to having an actual graphics engine rather than the series of slides effect of most casual IHOGs. As beautiful as the scenes in say, Briar Rose, I expect it's much easier to program that style of graphics than a game with a graphics engine that allows things to move within that engine.

Anyway, there's my two cents. I don't mean to argue with anyone, but I think there are a lot of people who will love this game and I don't want them to be turned off before they try it.

mcquigan
Clownfish
Clownfish
726 Posts

[Post New]by mcquigan on Apr 1, 10 2:43 PM
I loved it. I chose the mother, I will have to play it again to see the ending if i choose Robert.

Go to: