patnsky
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,415 Posts

Re:Comments and Reviews for Settlement: Colossus

[Post New]by patnsky on Apr 2, 10 3:00 AM
I downloaded this on the 31st but saved buying it until April. LOL filled out enough cards in March.

What a fun game this is and so different from most HOGs. It is not only a HOG, but an adventure game also in that you have to build a community. You have to go to different places to get what ever you need. To the forest for wood and some food and clay; the garden for food; the mines for clay and bricks, etc. There are no dump sites here. No items floating in the sky but down on the ground where they belong. It is a relaxing game as there are no time limits and no penalty for over clicking. I have been playing now for well over 3 hours and am on level 4. At this rate, I expect to get at least two more hours of play, so truly feel I am getting my money's worth.

I am not rushing through Settlement, but taking my time and truly enjoying the game. Took me a while to realize that when returning to a scene i.e. the forest, it was different than the last time I was there. As time and days pass, all the scenes change. The flowers are maybe a different color or there are more of them; there are fish in the river; it is a different time of day; i am in a different part of the mine;etc. This is a game that you should not rush through, but sit back, relax, and enjoy. It is not a hard game but the mini-puzzles are different and I only went to the walkthrough once instead of skipping that puzzle.

Frankly, I can see this as a game I will play again in several months.
I would love to see more games like this one.

Thanks BF for the variety of games you have provided for us lately. Good HOGs TMs, M3s, Adventures ... yeaaaaaaa

I give Settlement: Colossus a Seattle thumbs up.

MsNona1126
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,880 Posts

[Post New]by MsNona1126 on Apr 2, 10 6:59 AM
A Breathe of fresh air for this one. Had to buy. Non rushed, unique game play. Mixed with puzzles, hidden objects, trading, and lets not forgot about building. Enjoyed playing this til the end. Very nice job!

unitedred7
Starfish
Starfish
49 Posts

[Post New]by unitedred7 on Apr 2, 10 9:17 AM
Really enjoying this game

TXga
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by TXga on Apr 2, 10 9:25 AM
I really like this gme! It keeps shuting down on me Very frusterating, only hapens when I try to upgrade (level4) farm ect. HELP

Edited on 04/02/2010 at 9:33:04 AM PST

samwise50
Guppy
Guppy
160 Posts

[Post New]by samwise50 on Apr 2, 10 3:40 PM
I have never, ever, purchased that kind of game, ever. Actually, I hate them.
BUT to my great surprise, I enjoy this one a lot. What a fun game. I wanted to go with "an open mind" like someone told me. Am I glad I did.
A definite buy for me. I am stunned
There is a first for everything.

clpond53
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
18 Posts

[Post New]by clpond53 on Apr 2, 10 6:24 PM
I was hesitant to even try because I don't like those stressful civilization building games, but to my surprise, I enjoyed it IMMENSELY!!!!! Can anyone recommend similar games??

Okami
Squid
Squid
65 Posts

[Post New]by Okami on Apr 2, 10 7:27 PM
clpond53 -- You might like Gardenscapes. It's not exactly like Settlement but it is very relaxing with good graphics and an engaging story.

skss
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
1 Posts

[Post New]by skss on Apr 3, 10 3:59 AM
LOVED IT! Give me more like it!

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on Apr 3, 10 4:41 PM
It took me along time to finish this game but I enjoyed every minute of it. Some of the items were hard to find and I used hints now and again but over all , it kept me interested. Thanks for the great game.

talisman018
Guppy
Guppy
148 Posts

[Post New]by talisman018 on Apr 4, 10 12:36 AM
I think Anam_Crait said it best. The review is basically everything I would have to say. I personally love this type of game and would like to see more of it's kind.

It's part strategy/TM and part HOG. Look for the resources your people need to rebuild their kingdom. Try and get to the point where you can trade as fast as possible, since that really will be helpful to you.

Honestly, it's nothing like "Return To Ravenhurst". It's much more like "Sim Creator" for the Nintendo DS system, which might help some of you who have it. The difference is that you get to actually hunt for the things your people need.

I highly recommend it for those who want something not too difficult (there is a constantly refilling hint bar and "sparkles" that will help you out in the item search, and you can skip mini-games if you like). It's for those of us who want to build a civilization from the ground up and go on a treasure hunt for items while doing so.

I give it five stars.
Have fun!!

shreksma
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by shreksma on Apr 4, 10 2:15 AM
This is by far the best game I've bought from you. I hope you make many, many more like this, and I'll buy every one. The graphics were great, the music was the first one that we didn't get sick of, and there was such a variety of stuff to do. Congratulations..... when's the next Colossus or similar arriving? Love it.

greendle
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by greendle on Apr 4, 10 6:56 AM
I am in the Loved It category. The graphics are beautiful, the music peaceful and the games and interesting combination of builder and HOG. Just wonderful. I am playing through the second time because I skipped on mini-game and thus did not achieve all the trophies. Back at it!

[Post New]by phrederick on Apr 4, 10 2:29 PM
Very unique and imaginative game - well worth purchasing.

BossBrat
Minnow
Minnow
285 Posts

[Post New]by BossBrat on Apr 4, 10 3:33 PM
I meant to post my comments on this game before now, but have had a terrible cold, so I was too busy sneezing, lol.

I LOVE this game. I'm on my 3rd play-through. It doesn't matter how many times you play it, the game is always fun. It's a combination of build-a-lot, virtual villagers and classic hidden object. You have goals to meet, but no timer to stress you out. I had one more game to buy to fill my 2nd punch card and glad this worth it.

For those of you who have trouble with some hidden objects, you can leave the hint button on and it will flash on them after a few seconds of inactivity. Be forewarned, though, that all of the hidden objects have to do with feeding people, being able to use fire, or for making objects needed to build like ore, wood, etc.

EXCELLENT GAME!

Boss Brat

Seascape6
Herring
Herring
341 Posts

[Post New]by Seascape6 on Apr 4, 10 4:22 PM
You all have me intriqued! I normally pass these by, as I'm a strictly hidden object or adventure style kinda gal, but I have to check this one out!

[Post New]by judykoplan on Apr 5, 10 3:21 PM
I find this game very relaxing. It is a tad repetitive, but that's what makes it relaxing for me as opposed to a more "challenging" game that I find too much after a long day at work, etc. This is a pleasant mix for me.

jeannemaria
Guppy
Guppy
186 Posts

[Post New]by jeannemaria on Apr 5, 10 6:41 PM
Yesterday I finished the game, I just could NOT stop until I finished. I do not know how many hours I played off and on. It took me 99 days to complete the Settlement. I received all the Trophies, except 2. I need to go through the Walkthrough for a couple of Mini games which I could not do, I could only do part of the game. I then skipped those mini-games. I really loved this game, much more than plain Hidden Objects games, which I also love. Are there more games very similar to this? Please let me know. I did not like "Gardenscapes".

Settlement: Colossus

talisman018
Guppy
Guppy
148 Posts

[Post New]by talisman018 on Apr 6, 10 2:40 AM
Update to my earlier review:

I am sooo addicted. I have played it three times through since buying it. The music is soothing and relaxing. Yes, the items can be a bit too tough to spot, but you can bail out and try again on a new screen. The mini-games can be skipped if you don't care about trophies. (I skipped a couple of them since I didn't want to take the time to do them at that point.) The only drawback is that you can't go back and do them later. It's then or not at all unless you cancel the mini-game instead of taking the "SKIP" option. Some are very quick and easy, some are really hard and will take some serious effort to accomplish.

Advice for the novice: gather as many reeds as you possibly can. They are your best trade item by far and you will need tons of them when you finally get a market. Take every opportunity you can to gather reeds, food and wood. Everything else, you can take your time if you want.

On the whole, I highly recommend this game for those who are in love with untimed HOGs and also like building TMs (like "Be A King" and "Escape From Paradise").

redroo
Guppy
Guppy
169 Posts

[Post New]by redroo on Apr 6, 10 8:44 PM
Well I was wondering what to use my credit on...like to have a long game. Saw a comment yesterday about length of game and Settlement: Colossus was mentioned. The reviews were great, so I downloaded it this morning.
I AGREE! Satisfies my HOG, love logic and can play at my own pace, deciding what project to complete. The only thing that puzzled at first was how to get stuff started round the campfire and realised that when you gather enough resourses , then select RESEARCH and they go into action....Wonderful game. Quite relaxing, unless you want to hurry up and whiz around, but you dont have to.

bigdave02
Minnow
Minnow
228 Posts

[Post New]by bigdave02 on Apr 7, 10 7:05 PM
Brilliant game,well worth playing.Very relaxing,and VERY addictive

Go to: