sunnny
Manatee
Manatee
3,945 Posts

Re:Comments and Reviews for The Mystery of the Crystal Portal: Beyond the Horizon

[Post New]by sunnny on Apr 3, 10 12:40 PM
I loved the first Crystal Portal, so I knew this one is going to be
a buy as soon as I got my March coupons
Now after finishing the game, I do agree with poodlebear about
doing things for no rhyme or reason, it seems like an artificial
extention to gameplay time.
Also, I think I am the only one, I was very uncomfortable with
the character of Igor.
Please don't get me wrong, I enjoyed this game, but I think
the first one was better.

Overall, for a straight HOG, and a half out of 5

Taking way too long to LOAD!

[Post New]by Schoolhard on Apr 3, 10 1:12 PM
Anyone else finding that loading each segment takes a very LOOONNNGGG time? Im talking about 5 minutes to load the next phase. And the graphics slowly move by, only to be replaced by blackness; like there is a glitch! There was a segment where Igor and the girl are leaving his bedroom, and to load that next segment, they both move off in different directions until they glide off the screen. All that was left is black. This CANT be right! lol..anyone else have this problem?

prpldva
Zebrafish
Zebrafish
48,548 Posts

Taking way too long to LOAD!

[Post New]by prpldva on Apr 3, 10 1:28 PM
Schoolhard wrote:Anyone else finding that loading each segment takes a very LOOONNNGGG time? Im talking about 5 minutes to load the next phase. And the graphics slowly move by, only to be replaced by blackness; like there is a glitch! There was a segment where Igor and the girl are leaving his bedroom, and to load that next segment, they both move off in different directions until they glide off the screen. All that was left is black. This CANT be right! lol..anyone else have this problem?

Here is my response from the other thread:

Schoolhard wrote:Anyone else finding it incredibly LOOOOONNNGGGG to load each segment? Im talking up to 5 minutes! And the graphics slowly move across the screen until they are replaced with black (no graphics). It seems like a glitch; but dont know if its just me or what?

Hiya Schoolhard! Welcome To the forums!

Sorry you are having trouble. Have you tried re-installing the game and updating your video card drivers? This may fix the problem.

I hope this helps!

PrplDva

stanliness
Minnow
Minnow
255 Posts

Re:Comments and Reviews for The Mystery of the Crystal Portal: Beyond the Horizon

[Post New]by stanliness on Apr 3, 10 3:20 PM
I just finished the game, and felt it got better as it went along. I loved it, but I love finding the "bubble" items. It was beautifully drawn, and a cute story. Marty was a plus. I have to agree at first I wasn't as sold on it as the first one, but have revised my opinion - it was as good. Thanks Artogon!

Lime_Cordial
Squid
Squid
63 Posts

[Post New]by Lime_Cordial on Apr 3, 10 4:50 PM
I really enjoyed this. Objects were interesting. Play in the hardest mode for best enjoyment.

oma420
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by oma420 on Apr 3, 10 8:56 PM
worse game I have played on Big Fish. Clicked on articles SEV ERAL times and they would not budge. Got frustrated. Sorry Big Fish but I wont buy this one.

duchesse67
Starfish
Starfish
46 Posts

[Post New]by duchesse67 on Apr 4, 10 2:30 AM
Stanlines, I totally agree. out of 5.

Laflamme
Stingray
Stingray
4,512 Posts

[Post New]by Laflamme on Apr 4, 10 5:51 AM
In order to like this game you have to buy into the Artogon concept of bubble items. Most of the time I can really live with that - they did a good job with it on Treasure Seekers 2 and 3. This is more or less the same game as all the others, graphics and sound-wise, however, in this series they did not really nail the item you have to find to item that makes sense ratio. Meaning, you have to find a lot of items to construct something that don''t make sense at all.

Also, for the arachnophobes among us, there is one you have to cover up to proceed.

texmom3
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by texmom3 on Apr 4, 10 9:27 AM
I liked this game and was curious about several people's comments about the first game in the series. Would someone post the name of the first game and where I might find it to play?

Thanks in advance!

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Apr 5, 10 12:48 PM
I have finished this game on the weekend and highly recommend it! It took me 3 hours to finish it and it was a great fun to play it!

[b]A message to texmom3: The first game in the series is called "The Mystery of the crystal portal". Here is the downloadlink: http://www.bigfishgames.com/download-games/6670/the-mystery-of-the-crystal-portal/index.html

I also recommend the "Treasure Seekers games" (3 parts). Escape from lost island is also similar, but not so good as the other recommended games.
[/b]

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Apr 5, 10 5:23 PM
timhouse wrote:IF YOU LIKED THE SEEKER GAMES, YOU WILL LIKE THIS GAME. I JUST BOUGHT. HAVE FUN ALL YOU SEEKER

The difference is in the Treasure Seekers games you are finding objects to use to accomplish a task. This is just finding objects for the sake of finding, which seems to not hold the same interest for me.

bjmusic
Starfish
Starfish
46 Posts

[Post New]by bjmusic on Apr 7, 10 12:17 PM
OMG what a coup getting permission to portray I-gore (movie quip) using the visage of the late Marty Feldman!! That alone was worth buying the game. But the graphics were also notable even if the length of the game was a tad disappointing. When I play it again, I will try the advanced version to lengthen it out a bit. Enjoyable game and very relaxing. Good job BFG.

GraciesDD
Minnow
Minnow
293 Posts

[Post New]by GraciesDD on Apr 7, 10 6:06 PM
Poodlebear wrote:
timhouse wrote:IF YOU LIKED THE SEEKER GAMES, YOU WILL LIKE THIS GAME. I JUST BOUGHT. HAVE FUN ALL YOU SEEKER

The difference is in the Treasure Seekers games you are finding objects to use to accomplish a task. This is just finding objects for the sake of finding, which seems to not hold the same interest for me.

Have to agree here. I just didn't find this one as interesting as the first. Live and learn!

rhonayotte
Catfish
Catfish
1,555 Posts

[Post New]by rhonayotte on Apr 7, 10 7:40 PM
Yeah, I bought it. Loved the graphics and the music was calming. I do agree though, that when told to pick up an item, and the bubbles come up, you'd think the things you'd need to find would be related to the item itself. Like for instance the eye glasses, it would have made more sense if you had to find parts of the eyeglasses to make them whole. The items in the bubbles simply did not pertain to the items you had to pick up and use. Well, I don't regret buying it, it was relaxing and lovely to look at. I doubt that it will have any re-playability at all, as I am sure you'd have to search for the same things for each item needed. I'll give it a only because of the graphics, the relaxation factor and of course, Igor! Oh, it is on the short side.

Keidi
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
3 Posts

[Post New]by Keidi on Apr 8, 10 4:16 AM
Sorry, but I was very disappointed in this game. Gave up after 15 minutes. Not a buy for me.

[Post New]by quarlesqueen on Apr 8, 10 12:19 PM
I loved the first, Mystery of the Crystal Portal game, and have to agree with samwise50 and a few others, that enjoyed the second one, even more !
I guess it just goes to show you, to each, his own, because I was shocked at the negative comments, that I read, about this game.
I know several found it frustrating, trying to get the items, into the circles, it is very simple if you just click on the item, once found, and than click directly in the circle, were it goes.
You don't drag the item, to the circle, and by doing it this way, you could chain several found items, in a row.
There are some items, that require being put together, before you can add them, to the bubbles, which I thought added, to the gameplay.
For me personally, I love the bubble game mechanics, it makes it more interesting, than just finding items, and having them crossed off the list.
The graphics were stunning, the Keeper of the Island of Cradle, was very cool looking...loved him, and when you collected all of the red spheres, you really got an AWESOME graphic visual...well done .
The artwork was just beautiful, very imaginative, which is just right up my alley, there is just something about going into a fantasy land, when a game is good, that makes me so sad to have to leave when the game over, and the art and imagination that went into this game did just that.
I wanted to take a ride, in the bathymobile, I can just picture the awesome scenery.lol!!
I do hope the next one to come out in this series, they don't change the game mechanics, because I love these games, just the way they are..GREAT work Artogon !!

P.S. smallhaven...I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your beloved cat, to me animals are just like humans, sometimes even better, you are in my thoughts and prayers .

emmyjayne
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,375 Posts

[Post New]by emmyjayne on Apr 11, 10 4:24 PM
I liked this game. I played in "difficult" mode and found it challenging enough. The story is not very engaging and the Igor character is very annoying and doesn't really add anything to the storyline. But overall I'm glad I bought this game. The previous ones were even better, though.

[Post New]by shortnsassy6272 on Apr 13, 10 1:33 PM
Enjoy the layout of the game but it has no challenge. The mini-games are too easy and there are too many prompts. Would like to find things on my own without being told where to go to next. A bit disappointing. Bought the game thinking I had much more to do after the demo but had less than an hour left to finish.

[Post New]by suzzeeque1 on Apr 13, 10 3:40 PM
Boring game, easy puzzles...wish I didn't waste my money.

slester
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by slester on Apr 17, 10 8:10 PM
Baybear wrote:Anyway it's nice to see Marty Feldman back again...

I totally cracked up when I saw Igor. From one of my favorite movies of all time. I loved it!
Loved the game and of course I bought it.

Go to: