gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Review for Nancy Drew: Message in a Haunted Mansion

[Post New]by gingergal on Jan 30, 13 8:15 PM
continued

Spoiler as to a hint for one puzzle –

There is a maze in this game and I am useless at them, if you hit the “M” key on your keyboard it brings up an interactive map in the interface to show you where you are.

If you need some help if you google "nancy drew:message in a haunted mansion hints" (or even walkthrough) there is a very good website (look for 3 letters then -hints in the title) that does progressive hints and also some help technically and otherwise.

Laflamme
Stingray
Stingray
4,512 Posts

[Post New]by Laflamme on Jun 28, 13 12:08 PM
Review based upon completion of the game in Junior Detective mode.

This is the third Nancy Drew game, released way back when in 2000, and is loosely based upon the book of the same name, according to Wikipedia (I haven't read the book). Nancy is summoned to San Francisco by the Drew housekeeper to help an old friend of hers renovating an old B&B. And solve some accidents that occurred there too. Helping out are Bess & George, Hannah Gruen and Emily Foxworth via phone.

By the way, did you notice that the last 4 digits of B&G's number spell out "HINT" and Hannah's digits spell "DREW"?

The Good:

+ 3 phone contacts (that are actually all helpful for a change)
+ 4 people to talk to
+ Lani does a good job as usual (although she sounds a bit strange in the introduction, epilogue and tutorial)
+ also, as usual, face animations are top notch
+ subtle scares (actually the guy screaming at the "Message" in the Let's play video was scarier than the entire game *g*)
+ two Easter eggs (found through the Wiki article)

The Neutral:

o you have to take down a lot of notes (Hint: especially the Chinese symbols and the zodiac!)

The Bad:

- the labyrinth game became tedious
- graphics are VERY old compared to today's standards

Bottom Line: As one of the first ND games you will have to live with the old interface, not much support with taking hints and outdated graphics. If you can look past that it's still a good game in the series. I can recommend it for beginners as it's not that complicated and there are several walkthroughs and videos available around the net.

[Post New]by nellyandjohnny on Nov 7, 13 9:12 AM
This is my 3rd Nancy Drew game and as I understand it, the 3rd in the series so it's quite an old one. I previously played Shadow at the Water's Edge and The Phantom of Venice, which are newer games and in some respects I preferred those as I found the navigation easier and the checklist is very helpful. They are also more exciting in that you travel around to different locations in each city as well as within the building you are staying in.

Really wasn't sure at first about this one as it definitely felt 'old' in comparison to the other two and with this one, the game takes place in one building only, the haunted mansion. You don't ever get to go outside. I stuck with it though and am glad I did! It's a good storyline and it flows pretty well. As with all the Nancy Drew games, a lot of detective work is required and I really like the fact you always have to be thinking outside the box, jotting down clues and trying to piece things together - be warned though, it's not always logic that leads you to the next clue/stage of the game and some puzzles are really quite frustrating. The slider puzzle near the end of the game was particularly frustrating and there are no skip options so know that you do have to complete each puzzle before being able to continue. I like the atmosphere of this game, the music, the story and a good ending too! Who'd have thought that's how you stop the villain!? Clever.

If you are shopping around to see if Nancy Drew games are for you (because there are no trials available) I would thoroughly recommend them as they are different to the normal adventure/IHOG games on here and are very good value for money. I find them pretty difficult, sometimes exasperating but also very rewarding and challenging. If you are ready for a new challenge go for it. When I finished my first Nancy Drew game, I was excited to see how many more I had left to play! How I will ever complete one without the help of a forum or a walkthrough though, I'll never know! HAPPY GAMING!

Go to: