peeshee_1951
Stingray
Stingray
5,444 Posts

Re:Magic Encyclopedia: Illusions comments and reviews

[Post New]by peeshee_1951 on May 3, 10 6:28 PM
I liked the first two much better than this one. This story seemed kinda boring to me. I do like to get wrapped up in a story and this one didn't keep me wanting to play like the other two did. Nothing wrong with game, just not as interesting IMO.

lushknight
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by lushknight on May 3, 10 6:37 PM
I bought this when I was done with the demo because I have the 1st 2 ME games and have enjoyed them very much. It took me awhile to get into this one,the logic wasn't flowing for me, but I am tired.I just completed it. I got 4-5 hrs out of it, but truthfully I used hints a number of times(it was the logic thing) Now even when taking my time I tend to move through at a pretty fast clip so I imagine it would have taken me longer without the hints & a wee bit of impatience.
Overall- I enjoyed it, will give it another go when I'm not so tired.

roxycavalier
Stingray
Stingray
5,621 Posts

[Post New]by roxycavalier on May 3, 10 8:20 PM
Played the demo and starting out thought this is not a game for me but as it progressed I got hooked and when the time was up I wanted to continue so I did purchase and so glad because this is a suberb game!

Debbie387
Minnow
Minnow
253 Posts

[Post New]by Debbie387 on May 3, 10 9:02 PM
I loved this one too. The switching between modes took a bit of getting used to but great concept. The graphics are clear and the storyline interesting. This is my favourite type of HOG.

ManuelCalavera
Shark
Shark
12,542 Posts

[Post New]by ManuelCalavera on May 3, 10 9:43 PM
This one just didn't grab me like the first two. It somehow seemed flatter, less endearing and a lot less logical in its progression. It was as if a whole different team worked on this one than the people on the first two. I was also especially disappointed in the music. The music was fun and location appropriate in the first two, while this one seemed to have one oriental loop that droned over every scene.

Also hated the place-the-stars-in-the-constellations mini-game which they dropped in the second one, only to resurrect it in this one. The illusion factor was confusing and annoying and I got pretty bored very quickly trying to track down minuscule slivers of irrelevant items. Helicopters and sailing ships powered by mandrake plants just don't mix IMO (unless it's a really creative Steampunk situation ).

And it really, really irritated me to no end that Catherine referred to her teacher as "Master"! What is this, I Dream of Jeannie?

Edited on 05/03/2010 at 9:44:18 PM PST

KIW0612
Herring
Herring
376 Posts

[Post New]by KIW0612 on May 3, 10 9:44 PM
Sallyem wrote:Thank you, Cyndo. It wasn't a familiar term to me. However, many of the
IHOGS are like that as well.

FROGS are IHOGS. Never seen one that wasn't. FROGS is simply a further explanation of how the hidden objects are found in an IHOG.

KIW0612
Herring
Herring
376 Posts

[Post New]by KIW0612 on May 3, 10 10:03 PM
Coronagold wrote:I bought & played this game from Big Fish many months ago. Is this place suffering from dementia or what.

Very Interesting, considering Alawar Entertainment (publisher/distributor) didn't release this game until April 1, 2010. Could it be that you are the one suffering from dementia when it comes to what games you played months ago? Try being a little more tactful with your comments next time. Especially when you may be wrong.

slester
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by slester on May 3, 10 10:12 PM
Love this game. I bought it after 15 min. The FROG games are my favorite and this one has a different twist and is very challenging. As with the other Magic Encyclopedia games, I will play this one over and over.

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on May 4, 10 3:35 AM
ManuelCalavera wrote:...

And it really, really irritated me to no end that Catherine referred to her teacher as "Master"! What is this, I Dream of Jeannie?

Apprentice, journeyman and master. It's his title.

BinLA
Stingray
Stingray
5,914 Posts

[Post New]by BinLA on May 4, 10 4:14 AM
OMG, I loved this game! Each time I used the glasses, I was amazed at the technology that went into having two screens overlapping so that you could see a different scene in the area that was covered by the glasses.

I used a lot of hints because I can't find little piddly stuff, but I still enjoyed the game immensely. It's the best ME of all 3!

GG4151
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by GG4151 on May 4, 10 5:57 AM
RainbowElf wrote:Out of five I would give this three stars just because it takes a while to get into the game. As the way to search for objects is quite unique to the game, your brain needs a while to adjust.

Before I buy it though I would like to know how long it is. Anyone know??

The graphics had a child like innocence about them, if you get what I mean. This did not detract from the game too much though.

I also liked the fact that there was not too much talking, sometimes it seems like you are buying a book rather then a game.

The few things I disliked where the awkward changing from one area to another and the objects are too cleverly hidden. For example there could be a picture of string and you have to find a bit of string...that is just stupid.

I think this will stay on the old wishlist until I know how long it is.

Good game though.

Before I even download a game, I come here to the forum to see if it has a walk through. That is one way to check out how long a game will be. Also, everyone's reviews and comments are extremely helpful, and save me lots of time! My thanks to all who post here and share their opinions, experiences, hints, and information!

Gabriele

x2kul
Shark
Shark
10,424 Posts

[Post New]by x2kul on May 4, 10 6:11 AM
Detractors are quite adamant!!
Anyway....
I must be getting OLLDDDD!!! HELP PLEASE!!
I'm in chapter 4, 1st scene, and can't find the tail to the fish bones. I've used hints with and w/o the glasses and stared at your wt, but can't find it. The hints just highlight the other parts of the potion to add to the fire, but I believe I need the bones and not the caught fish, right? I am SO stuck
thx in advance!!
-Laura x2

just went to publisher's site. you have to feed fish to the seagull!! grrrrrr

Edited on 05/04/2010 at 6:16:25 AM PST

Rkatidid
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by Rkatidid on May 4, 10 6:59 PM
Absolutely magical, refreshing and different

Robcol
Minnow
Minnow
207 Posts

[Post New]by Robcol on May 4, 10 7:08 PM
Can't findthe last piece of the scizzors!!! Help please.

rhonayotte
Catfish
Catfish
1,555 Posts

[Post New]by rhonayotte on May 4, 10 7:44 PM
Loved loved loved this game! It was so much fun and challenging in areas. Had to think things through in some areas, simple logic in others. Great graphics, easy on the ears music. What an awesome concept, going from reality to illusions. Just plain enjoyed it. I got antsy waiting for it to get to BF, and was thrilled when it finally arrived. It was well worth the wait. Thanks This one gets a big and a huge from me.

[Post New]by LuvDemGames on May 5, 10 5:11 AM
Finished this one last night. Terrific game, lots of fun. Different sort of hidden object game, one I would like to see more of. I hated to finish it. Back to Deadtime Stories.

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on May 5, 10 12:39 PM
I liked the first two games in the series much more. The third part is good, but nothing special. The storyline doesn`t touch me enough. The graphic is pretty good. I will continue playing this game when its released on the german bigfishsites and will propably buy it then.

Edited on 05/05/2010 at 12:40:20 PM PST

[Post New]by Betty_hines on May 5, 10 1:25 PM
How in the heck do you get back to the Library from the ship...this is soooo frustrating!

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on May 5, 10 4:11 PM
Very challenging, I really enjoyed this one.

cherzy13
Lobster
Lobster
83 Posts

[Post New]by cherzy13 on May 5, 10 4:19 PM
I ABSOLUTELY LOVED THIS GAME. IT'S ABOUT TIME A HOG CAME AROUND WITH GOOD GRAPHICS, GOOD MUSIC, INTERRACTIVE, DIFFICULT, LONG, KEPT ME ON MY TOES, AND I EVEN HAD TO RESORT TO THE WALK THROUGH ON SEVERAL DIFFERENT OCCASIIONS. FOR THAT REASON ALONE, AND FOR NOT GIVING EASY HINTS, I GIVE IT TWO THUMBS UP!!! NOW THAT I'VE FINISHED THE GAME, I'M GOING BACK IN TO SEE IF I CAN COMPLETE IT WITHOUT ANY HELP.

Go to: