zener
Seahorse
Seahorse
33 Posts

Length of Game

[Post New]by zener on May 24, 10 10:20 PM
I have played the demo and got to the "owners wife office" in one hour.
How much longer is the game, a "flick through" a walk-through (not reading just looking at length) seems that this stage would be approximately a third in and the game could last up to 3 hours or so ?

I know I should not compare the Syberia and The Longest Journey but........

b00kworm
Clownfish
Clownfish
912 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Review for Hotel

[Post New]by b00kworm on May 25, 10 1:08 AM
The length of the game depends a lot on how fast you can solve the puzzles, of course, but I would indeed say it's a game you can finish in two to three hours, depending on how fast you're thinking, how fast you are at finding the hot spots (or how often you use the hint button to find them) and whether you're a fast reader or a slow one (as there's quite a lot of dialogue in the last third or so of the game).

I'm also glad they released a new version of the game that will solve the only glitch I expected while playing (the dialogue with Theresa).

jojo_the_joyful
Salmon
Salmon
2,761 Posts

[Post New]by jojo_the_joyful on May 25, 10 2:02 AM
I have just finished & have to say absolutely loved it..

It is probably on the easy side, simply because I hardly had to use the walkthrough. (From someone who struggles with all Nancy Drew games). But that made it enjoyable for me, When I did get stuck it would turn out the "I" had failed to find an object, & by the end I was scanning all scenes & worked through them easily.

I got the graveyard glitch too, but simply by tuning in here, I learned to press the space button & glich solved.

The story was intriguing & can't wait for a sequal.

8/10 Thanks BFG

Poor Planning by the Game Developers...

[Post New]by Rocky_1956 on May 25, 10 2:50 AM
Hi all... There seems to be a problem with the order in which tasks are completed within the game. I wound up in a hopeless game with no possibility of completing it.

After hours of wanderring around the game, I finally went and found the walkthrough.

Spoiler Alert!
In the walkthrough, it said to talk to Matisse on the sofa in the Hotel lobby. He's not there! It seems that since I somehow found him in the crime scene room before checking this area, he is now there and not on the sofa.

This means that I cannot get the clue about the Fax machine from him, so when I go to the boxes on the bridge, I do not have the option of picking up the fax paper. I only have the magnifying glass (not the hand) and I can only look at the boxes.

So, in other words, there is no possibility of completing this game. I would need to start over, but I am very hesitant to do this, since I may get even further into the game and run into the same issue somewhere else.

Edited on 05/25/2010 at 2:52:26 AM PST

Lady_Mags
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

[Post New]by Lady_Mags on May 25, 10 3:13 AM
I have not done a lot of adventure games mainly time management but this one is gripping and the walkthrough which can be checked selectively helped just a little.

Would advise anyone to buy and have hours of fun and brain workout before reaching the end. One tip use hint at every scene it is well worth it.

ivanbral
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
423 Posts

[Post New]by ivanbral on May 25, 10 3:27 AM
to Rocky_1956,

the thing about adventure games is that they are not linear. this means that you can explore and do things without doing some other things before, or even sometimes, not doing them at all.
what you say about Matisse is true, but this is just an optional task. If you missed it, don't worry - you can continue playing and finish the game.
If you dislike missing something, you can start from the beginning using the walkthrough.

Edited on 05/25/2010 at 3:28:33 AM PST

[Post New]by Rocky_1956 on May 25, 10 3:36 AM
Thank you, ivanbral. Indeed I have found that I can move on from here. I am glad that this is an optional task and I thank you for setting my mind at ease on that point.

Lynnet67
Starfish
Starfish
50 Posts

[Post New]by Lynnet67 on May 25, 10 8:41 AM
I really enjoyed the demo and the hint button is a great help.

Think I may buy the game just to see how it ends...lol..

[Post New]by Sylbel on May 25, 10 9:00 AM
Well, I was a little disapointed with this game. First of all, there is too much dialogue for my personal taste and I found that the "puzzles" were quite easy.
I did liked the spooky atmosphere but in the end I found the game to be too short in duration.
If you are new to this kind of game, I would recommend it. But if you are used to "point and click" type of adventure games, you may feel under challenged.

Edited on 05/25/2010 at 9:01:55 AM PST

[Post New]by cjtct3 on May 25, 10 10:57 AM
This was a great game, I didn't find any tech issues. The only problem I had was it only took about 4 hours to complete.

fabes
Squid
Squid
70 Posts

[Post New]by fabes on May 25, 10 12:11 PM
This is a good game graphics are good story interesting. The only thing is the characters do not speak so you have to read all dialouge

[Post New]by wendylosangeles on May 25, 10 10:05 PM
ooooh I like this. not finished with the 1-hour demo yet, but DEFINITELY buying this!! Love it. thanks.

[Post New]by GamerGirl_31 on May 25, 10 10:56 PM
I tried this game and so far I'm loving it.

No tech issues here. I will say, that I did get a bit mixed up at first with the Matisse thing, but I went back and found him, no biggie. I love adventure games that make you think.

Definetly a buy for me.

Slite
Minnow
Minnow
212 Posts

[Post New]by Slite on May 26, 10 4:27 AM
For some reason I had low expectations for this game and it blew me away. I've only played the hour demo but will definitely buy.

Graphics and music are great -- I was surprised the game didn't take up a lot more memory than it did. There is a little voice acting and it was okay.

The two stellar points to me are the exceptional writing and story -- even witty at times -- and how the game was super user-friendly.

User-friendly feature number one is the "hint" system. It really is misnamed as it doesn't offer any hints but merely lets you know what in your environment you can interact with. You still have to figure out what to do yourself, but it eliminates a lot of potential frustration.

User-friendly feature number two is the great navigation. It's easy to see where the character can move to. You can make her speed walk. And once you've visited an area, you can double-click her ahead to the next area. So you spend the game on the game rather than just watching your character slowly move from place to place (try AGON for one of the most excruciating examples of this).

This is clearly an adventure game made by people who love them and are working to make a top notch experience. Thanks!

ivanbral
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
423 Posts

[Post New]by ivanbral on May 26, 10 4:43 AM
Hi Slite,

I'm the executive producer on Hotel and I'm really glad that you enjoy the game so much! Hope you have great time playing!

Slite
Minnow
Minnow
212 Posts

[Post New]by Slite on May 26, 10 5:18 AM
Thanks, I am really impressed with the game.

Just to be clear, to me it is a big plus that the hint system doesn't actually give the player any puzzle solving hints. I want to play the game, not watch the game play itself. But the hints providing the hotspots and the great character movement system eliminate the tediousness that often infects even otherwise very good adventure games.

Ivanbral, I'm sure you know exactly what I'm talking about and have thought about this more than I have.

One final aspect I've liked about the game is the lack of filler. The character seems engaged with the plot rather than off on time-filling tangents.

Now I've gotta check out the Crystal Valley one

LarkBea
Herring
Herring
354 Posts

[Post New]by LarkBea on May 26, 10 6:17 AM
This is an amazing game. It's rare when I purchase a game and want to replay it immediately after finishing it, but that's exactly what happened with this one.

The storyline is interesting, game controls are easy and it makes you think (although not to the point of a brain cramp).

Kudos to the developers. I wish more games were like this.

sbyrd
Squid
Squid
70 Posts

[Post New]by sbyrd on May 27, 10 9:13 AM
I like it put it on the "to buy" list

MsNona1126
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,880 Posts

[Post New]by MsNona1126 on May 27, 10 1:37 PM
I was enjoying this game with excitment. I like figuring out what to do next and this game gives you that. Wish I didn't have a technical issue. I would have purchased this one.

kspes
Squid
Squid
76 Posts

[Post New]by kspes on May 27, 10 2:20 PM
Ongoldenpond wrote:
kspes wrote:The game was rigorously tested many many times on a lot of different machines, but you cant compare that to an actual release where the game plays on thousands of different computers. errors are bound to show up. But don't worry, we're working round the clock to address those issues!

First of all , who are you anyway? You don't identify yourself as working for the developer or BFG, as those people have done in the past. Second, you mention that they were tested on many different machines. Are you referring to different OS such as XP, Vista and Windows 7?

As mentioned on several ocasions, I'm the lead programmer in Cateia Games, and yes, the game was tested for content bugs and OS/machine compatibility.
However, you can't always predict all problems that a wide-range deployment will produce. As mentioned, we are working round the clock to address those issues and as you can see, an update was released on bigfish games recently that addressed a lot of them.

---
Kresimir Spes
Cateia Games

Go to: