Itsupikachu
Flounder
Flounder
2,158 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Review for The Inquisitor

[Post New]by Itsupikachu on May 31, 10 3:18 PM
I've been waiting to see if would get this one and was pleasantly surprised when I logged on today and saw it was here! Granted, some of the scenes are a bit dark and some objects difficult to find but what really drew me in was the subject/story. I was so glad to see something more along these lines after so many occult themed games. I knew this game was on another site but I held off buying it because I wanted to get it from Thank you so much, , for getting this game, especially in time for the holiday sale!! Now, I'll finally have a punch card filled!!

jeanniemouse
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,337 Posts

[Post New]by jeanniemouse on May 31, 10 3:55 PM
Wow! I absolutely loved everything about it...except the technical difficulties that kept me from finishing it! I absolutely savored the graphics and the journal entries, even the slow-spiraling, which let me look at the drawings. We fishies all nibble different worms, I suppose.
(Now if they'd just fix the darn thing so I can finish it! ).

Cromaxgal
Clownfish
Clownfish
730 Posts

[Post New]by Cromaxgal on May 31, 10 4:04 PM
Not clear enough, graphics too dark and very annoying after 3 incorrect clicks arrow circles the screen. Played 10 minutes, not for me.

[Post New]by magnoliajem on May 31, 10 4:29 PM
Rage74 wrote: Or, more like, "Nobody expects the open-minded Inquisition!"

Haven't tried the game yet, but I LOVED your sly Monty Python reference!

sellers45
Lobster
Lobster
87 Posts

[Post New]by sellers45 on May 31, 10 4:34 PM
I also found this game to be too dark, both the scenes and the story. Although, come to think of it, I skipped most of the story...boring...and not true to history. I would rather have a game based on a fairy tale or book.
Love BFG and their games and their cu, but will not be buying this particular game.
Jeanne

meatbun66
Starfish
Starfish
49 Posts

[Post New]by meatbun66 on May 31, 10 4:49 PM
I'm sorry but I give this game a big thumbs down. The objects are way too hard to find and I had trouble figuring out what to do next. The graphics were not all that impressive in my opinion. Do not waste your money buying this game.

Edited on 05/31/2010 at 6:14:08 PM PST

[Post New]by rosie28sammy on May 31, 10 5:00 PM
Wow, I really enjoyed this game. Maybe I am a glutton for punishment because some of those hidden objects are impossible to find because they blend right into the black background, but I found myself really immersed and didn't want the game to end.

I think the storyline behind this game is, for me, what makes it so great. Again, some of the hidden objects were impossible to find. I loved the hint "Cross" and it does refresh quickly. However, when you are down to your last object or two and they are hidden so well you are beginning to think maybe they really don't exist and the developer is just having fun at your expense , it doesn't refresh quickly enough!

I only had 9 minutes left on my hour demo and only saw 1 spot the difference which is wonderful for me as I loathe them. There was one minigame of locks, but it was really easy to do. Since this isn't a straight HOG, you do have to do some investigating and it isn't always easy to figure out quickly what to do. The hint just tends to point you in the right direction without telling you what to do. So, if you are someone who skips the dialogue and likes to quickly get through a game, this one isn't for you by a long shot.

There is a lot of dialogue that you can skip, but it is so rich that you will want to read it. I also enjoyed the sketches in the dialogue as it made the game more authetic for the time period. The music also was pleasant. The only other problem I had was that the cursor was really finicky. You had to click on exactly the one spot they wanted. Three misclicks and you were penalized with a wonky cursor for a minute.

If I didn't already have two punch cards filled, I would be jumping on purchasing this game, especially with the sale this weekend, but I think I am going to use up some of my wonderful credits and purchase it tomorrow. Thanks BF!!

Cherubabies
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,247 Posts

[Post New]by Cherubabies on May 31, 10 5:15 PM
I didn't like it at all.

Dull colours, repetitive whining music ... no sale here.

Cherubabies
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,247 Posts

[Post New]by Cherubabies on May 31, 10 5:19 PM
I was so glad to see something more along these lines after so many occult themed games.

Hunting Witches and aligning Astrological wheels isn't an Occult Theme???

Edited on 05/31/2010 at 5:22:32 PM PST

ahsten75
Minnow
Minnow
215 Posts

[Post New]by ahsten75 on May 31, 10 5:45 PM
Tooooooooo slooooooowwwwwww!!!!!

I really like following the storyline on the demo to help me decide whether I'll buy it or not, but this was ridiculous. It didn't occur to me to skip it and read it in the journal. Even then, I waited through the first cutscene -- I thought the drawings were interesting -- and then I get treated to yet another one before I could even start playing.

I finally got to play for about 2 minutes and another cutscene with the same drawings repeated, played for another couple of minutes and again. I don't think I even got to play 20 minutes of the demo. At one point, I even got up to feed the cat and it still wasn't over!

The FTD were really hard and almost impossible to find no matter how many times I counted and compared the cracks in the floor or the bricks in the wall.

The storyline seemed interesting, but it was just too slow for me. The darkness was fitting for the story, the sepia drawings were a nice touch, the music perfectly medieval (appropriate for the setting and era).

I think most of us have complained about the same thing. A simple solution would be to add a next button for the cut scenes to speed them up a bit.

I'm not buying this one even at $2.99. I'm afraid I'll fall asleep through most of it.

However, I am looking into getting the book (someone mentioned it in an earlier post).

Capthowdy64
Minnow
Minnow
268 Posts

[Post New]by Capthowdy64 on May 31, 10 6:16 PM
I feel like things are just too dark.It's hard to find much of anything in the scenes. The theme is fine but even using a magnifying glass,I have trouble finding things.I would recommend demoing it first.

april445
Guppy
Guppy
140 Posts

[Post New]by april445 on May 31, 10 6:31 PM
I only played for about 30 minutes and most of that was taken up with reading. The reason I will not be buying this game is the story line. I have never objected to a story line before but the Inquisitors of the Inquisition were cold blooded murderers. They tortured hundreds of thousands of people who had done nothing worse than get on the bad side of someone. The Inquisition was a barbaric and bloody time in history and I am saddened to see it made into the theme of a game.

GraciesDD
Minnow
Minnow
293 Posts

[Post New]by GraciesDD on May 31, 10 6:44 PM
april445 wrote:I only played for about 30 minutes and most of that was taken up with reading. The reason I will not be buying this game is the story line. I have never objected to a story line before but the Inquisitors of the Inquisition were cold blooded murderers. They tortured hundreds of thousands of people who had done nothing worse than get on the bad side of someone. The Inquisition was a barbaric and bloody time in history and I am saddened to see it made into the theme of a game.

I totally agree. The "Inquisition" was a very bad time in the Catholic Church. Don't get me going......................

gemmabloom
Starfish
Starfish
40 Posts

[Post New]by gemmabloom on May 31, 10 7:18 PM
When I spotted this game, I perked up--it looked right up my alley. Then I read the reviews and my heart sank. But I decided to give it a try anyway and was pleasantly surprised. I did not find the screens too dark to find objects; if they jump right out at me, it kind of defeats the purpose of a HOG. I used hints and did not find that they took an inordinately long time to refill. I'm not wild about cut scenes, but these can be skipped--and were.
In fact, my only gripe is the Spot the Differences, which I detest. But hints can be used there too. So I used them and moved on.
This game does not have the complexity of something like RTR or Dire Grove (which was a relief to me. I have played both of those games through exactly once, and will probably never play them again--"play" being the operative word). But it is playable and requires enough interaction to hold my interest.
I have a couple more games to demo, but this one is on my short list for this month's game credit.

jlroeder
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by jlroeder on May 31, 10 7:38 PM
Didn't like this game at all.....sooooo slow and the graphics were too dark ....won't be buying this one.

huntington101
Salmon
Salmon
2,525 Posts

[Post New]by huntington101 on May 31, 10 8:09 PM
Sure glad I did not buy this one yesterday.

Very disappointing. Drab, blah very short. Finished 3 chapters in 40 minutes and I am yawning so not at my clicking best. Spinning the cursor on the 4th wrong click on muddy scenery is just dumb. Didn't not believe what the hint said was the beetle the first time, but yup. That gray mini choc chip thing is a beetle.

HighlandMax
Manatee
Manatee
3,824 Posts

[Post New]by HighlandMax on May 31, 10 8:19 PM
I bought it, and am enjoying it. I agree there are a lot of cut scenes, but they can be skipped. It's not too dark for me either, nor am I having a difficult time finding the objects. The spot the difference, was a bit too much though, even using my magnified glass, it was difficult to find all the differences......but, after all, it is a hidden object game.

sonofstar
Herring
Herring
361 Posts

[Post New]by sonofstar on May 31, 10 8:40 PM
Good - Strong story line; mostly decent puzzles; decent period scenery; rather believable hidden objects. At least the game creators kept the hidden objects as pieces normally found in the buildings and areas for the time period.

Bad - A cut scene at the END of and the BEGINNING of EVERY level. At least they aren't voiced, but you can't click and go to the next piece of text. You have to take your time through them or skip them altogether.
Second - the spot the difference scenes are almost impossible. For one the scenes are TOO dark and the differences are TOO minute to be readily spotted under "low light" conditions. The darkness is a HUGE hinderance to the hidden object scenes as well. I'm presently in the basement under the castle and there's supposed to be a key; the hint button keeps circling an area, and if there's a key there...it had better BITE me because the stairwell is TOO dark to tell.

It's an all right game, but it would be a lot more fun if there were just ONE cut scene between levels, if you could read at your own speed, if the contrast in the puzzle scenes was high enough to actually allow you to find things and if the differences were a bit less blended and a bit more observable to the naked eye.

[Post New]by intruder97 on May 31, 10 8:57 PM
Excellent game - have had no problems with it at all - it is difficult, especially the "Find the Differences" portions but I don't beleive that every game should be super easy. Some of us are thrilled when you put out a challenging game instead of an easier, made for younger audiences, game. Good job, BFG!!

huntington101
Salmon
Salmon
2,525 Posts

[Post New]by huntington101 on May 31, 10 9:04 PM
Cherubabies wrote:
I was so glad to see something more along these lines after so many occult themed games.

Hunting Witches and aligning Astrological wheels isn't an Occult Theme???

LOL

Not when one is on the "right" side of good and evil.

Go to: